Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily International News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    LRO - my man!

Fwiw most people I've talked to are skeptical on the groups of 3, which i think I'm skeptical of too.

But the 48 teams - I'm yet to talk to anyone who was born before the 90s who thinks it's a bad idea.
    Born 67......I don't like the idea of 48 teams. Not for the actual WC (However don't like group of 3) but more to do with qualification. Might be hard to sell tickets when Australia can easy squeeze in the 8 from Asia who will qualify. No more cut throat games like Urgay 05 or Irak 13.......32 teams was a good balance and I think ideal format. Also should be hard for Kiwis to get in......
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

LRO - my man!

Fwiw most people I've talked to are skeptical on the groups of 3, which i think I'm skeptical of too.

But the 48 teams - I'm yet to talk to anyone who was born before the 90s who thinks it's a bad idea.
    yup 48 teams as such not a bad idea.. its the details and the smaller points.

The 3 team groups is just silly/not good... opens a lot of doors for not good practices... 4 like in every tournament is great.. or bumb the number up like in the qualifiers...

and the resources needed to host 48 teams and visitors..

(i think alot of people against it in intitial point would be thinking woo money grab for Fifa)

but hey this is 2026..... we need to a) survive that long B) see how the next 2 WC goes...

(oh and a 48 Team WC in December.....precedent is set.... would just destroy club football)
    Amigos Aarau

Nothing about professional sport now is about the betterment of the game...it IS about ths money. Cricket is another great example.

As Simon Hill said this solely about getting China to host 2026 and validate the promises of the new FIFA leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Nothing about professional sport now is about the betterment of the game...it IS about ths money. Cricket is another great example.

As Simon Hill said this solely about getting China to host 2026 and validate the promises of the new FIFA leadership.
    Well Sir China can not get 2026 and 2030 will go to South America. So China first hope is 2034.
    Dare to Zlatan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goaliepersempre View Post
    yup 48 teams as such not a bad idea.. its the details and the smaller points.

The 3 team groups is just silly/not good... opens a lot of doors for not good practices... 4 like in every tournament is great.. or bumb the number up like in the qualifiers...

and the resources needed to host 48 teams and visitors..

(i think alot of people against it in intitial point would be thinking woo money grab for Fifa)

but hey this is 2026..... we need to a) survive that long B) see how the next 2 WC goes...

(oh and a 48 Team WC in December.....precedent is set.... would just destroy club football)
    Destroying club football would not be the worst thing.

I would rather watch Italy v Brazil and Argentina V Germany playing than watching Real Madrid V Bayern and Chelsea V PSG in the UCL

International football should be the pinnacle of the game.

Not club football

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Destroying club football would not be the worst thing.

I would rather watch Italy v Brazil and Argentina V Germany playing than watching Real Madrid V Bayern and Chelsea V PSG in the UCL

International football should be the pinnacle of the game.

Not club football
    It will affect the entire season... how to schedule and im not just meaning the La Liga and Premier League and Bundesliga.. IT doesnt just affect the top league but also the lower leagues..... even our a league...

for a december competition... let alone a 48 team that could possibly happen.....

Its shit for the players and preperation for the competition.... and recovery afterwards....

but that is all in the future...
    Amigos Aarau

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Well it won't be in Bangladesh, because two world cups in Asia in a row would be absurd! Surely 2026 will be in USA, Africa or Australia (assuming we weazle out of Asia for some reason.. probably to do with hosting the WC).

The beauty of Oman vs NZ is you don't owe either of them your viewing time. Watch it or don't watch it, it doesn't matter. Those sorts of games will be put on at shit hours in shit places with shit attention drawn to them. Whilst raising so, so much interest within their own countries, generating so much income for said countries (as well as FIFA, so what), putting obscure players on the global radar that previously would have had to rely on the right scouts and the right youtube highlight vids with just the right song choice (I mean can ANY youtube highlight video have any other song than Remember the Name by Fort Minor??) and in such improving the quality of global football as a whole.

But sure, football as a whole didn't exist before the Socceroos Golden Generation, or before the majority of us here were old enough to comprehend the World Cup. So most of us against the idea of an expanded World Cup are just assuming 32 teams is the ideal number because it's what we currently have, and have had "all our lives", or had little interest or weren't even born in 94 when it was 24 teams.

What's one of the oldest memories of the World Cup you have instilled in your brain, it was so good? For me it was the 2002 Senegal/France game. If my googling is correct, Senegal were the second lowest ranked team at that tournament (while France were 1st). If all the "the world cup is dead" people of pre-98 got their way, that game never would have happened.

In 9 years get ready to write & read a shit-tonne of "Cinderalla Story" headlines m8.
    Yeah we all love fairy tales at the World Cup but it's not going to be the same when half the teams there can barely play the game.

Sure there has been a few stinkers in each group at recent cups but that's enough.

This will not increase the quality of the tournament, which is supposed to be the pinnacle of the sport, and is purely motivated by money.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Reminds me of this American podcast I listened to after the 2014 WC saying it should be every 2 years because it would twice as dope because America has a Super Bowl every year and the Super bowl is dope.

Yeah that seems legit logic.

Based on current rankings (at 12 January 2017), and assuming the following breakup of spots:

UEFA 16
    CAF 9
    AFC 9
    CONMEBOL 8
    CONCACAF 5.5
    OCEANIA 0.5
    TOTAL 48

the following teams would qualify. first number world ranking, second number confederation ranking.

CAF CONCACAF UEFA
    33 1 Senegal 17 1 Costa Rica 3 1 Germany
    34 2 Côte d'Ivoire 18 2 Mexico 5 2 Belgium
    35 3 Egypt 28 3 USA 7 3 France
    36 4 Tunisia 58 4 Panama 8 4 Portugal
    39 5 Algeria 69 5 Haiti 10 5 Spain
    49 6 Congo DR 11 6 Switzerland
    50 7 Nigeria CONMEBOL 12 7 Wales
    53 8 Burkina Faso 1 1 Argentina 13 8 England
    54 9 Ghana 2 2 Brazil 14 9 Croatia
    AFC 4 3 Chile 15 10 Poland
    29 1 Iran 6 4 Colombia 16 11 Italy
    37 2 Korea Republic 9 5 Uruguay 21 12 Iceland
    44 3 Australia 19 6 Peru 22 13 Netherlands
    46 4 Japan 20 7 Ecuador 23 14 Republic of Ireland
    48 5 Saudi Arabia 40 8 Paraguay 24 15 Turkey
    61 6 Uzbekistan 25 16 Slovakia
    64 7 United Arab Emirates
    81 8 China PR
    85 9 Qatar

New Zealand play off against Honduras for the final position
    Last edited by belchardo; 14-01-2017 at 04:38 PM. Reason: improved formatting

Rumours are that a full spot will go to Oceania, the half spots would go to AFC & CONCACAF
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Rumours are that a full spot will go to Oceania, the half spots would go to AFC & CONCACAF
    Our friends from NZ cheering.......
    Dare to Zlatan

I wouldn't mind afc and oceania using this opportunity to merge. Oceania with a guaranteed spot would be ridiculous.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    I wouldn't mind afc and oceania using this opportunity to merge. Oceania with a guaranteed spot would be ridiculous.
    If we going to go down that road might as well split the confederation

Keep the Petrol states playing one another.

Asia Pacific for the rest

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    If we going to go down that road might as well split the confederation

Keep the Petrol states playing one another.

Asia Pacific for the rest
    Always thought that would make sense.... Burma, Bhutan, china, Mongolia in our conf, India, Nepal , Bangladesh, with the other mob... (just to define the border)
    Dare to Zlatan

Rumours persist that AFC & Oceania will merge, then split into East & West which would still give us decent teams to play against even if we are back with the other Oceania nations
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    The fact that this could guarantee NZ a world cup spot is the biggest travesty.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    The fact that this could guarantee NZ a world cup spot is the biggest travesty.
    Didn't Fiji go to the Olympics in Rio??

Didn't Tahiti go to the Confederations Cup in Brazil??

It ain't like the Kiwis are dominating Oceania is it.

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Well Sir China can not get 2026 and 2030 will go to South America. So China first hope is 2034.
    Why not - Euro, South America, third world cycle is about to be broken up by this.

It will go to the country with the most cash and that will be China then USA or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Why not - Euro, South America, third world cycle is about to be broken up by this.

It will go to the country with the most cash and that will be China then USA or vice versa.
    FIFA announced a couple of months ago that Europe and Asia cannot bid for 2026...... South America very keen for 100 years of WC (2030), so I would think USA26, Argentina/Uruguay/Chile30, maybe China34 (but Europe will want it)
    Dare to Zlatan

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    FIFA announced a couple of months ago that Europe and Asia cannot bid for 2026......
    Wait? You talking about FIFA here right?

Oh I'm sure they'll stick to their word.