Page 132 of 242 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182232 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 4840

Thread: The Politics/Religion/Conspiracies Deathmatch Thread

a very interesting thing to come out of today was CNN's decision not to air the White House press conference live and in full (apparently this is the way it is done, especially in the early days of an administration). They chose to only show edited portions after the event.

Word is (but not official from CNN themselves) that the decision was made because the White House now tells lies and they don't feel comfortable broadcasting official 'lies' from the Govt without any editing. This is a very very interesting push back from the Trump admin's previous attitude towards such a large (and renowned) media entity.

Will be fascinating if this is true as it can (and no doubt will) go in a thousand different directions.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

That's an interesting pushback from CNN. It was striking when Trump refused to answer their question at his press conference because they were "fake news" - when he was actually mad at Buzzfeed, - not CNN who actually chose not to publish the intelligence dosier. On face value, it seems like an ethically correct move by CNN not to broadcast briefings live and in full if they are going to be broadcasting information that is at best misleading and at worst straight up fabricated. Even the Fox News team were arguing that Spicer's briefings weren't legitimately press conferences because he wasn't taking questions.

What is your opinion Plague?

Quote Originally Posted by steve136 View Post
    That's an interesting pushback from CNN. It was striking when Trump refused to answer their question at his press conference because they were "fake news" - when he was actually mad at Buzzfeed, - not CNN who actually chose not to publish the intelligence dosier. On face value, it seems like an ethically correct move by CNN not to broadcast briefings live and in full if they are going to be broadcasting information that is at best misleading and at worst straight up fabricated. Even the Fox News team were arguing that Spicer's briefings weren't legitimately press conferences because he wasn't taking questions.

What is your opinion Plague?
    yeah look its only a rumour regarding CNN's reasons so we are playing hypothetical. i disagree a wee bit on their reporting of the buzzfeed stuff. it was no better than the old "unnamed sources tell us...." line that lets you get away with anything. CNN should have verified it, they are a news organisation, they are there to report the news and they have journalistic standards to adhere to. when the dust settled it looked like they just wanted to stick the boot into Trump and went off way too early.

but its a case of the media not trusting the govt and the govt not trusting the media.
    this is the way it is now and no it didnt start with Trump, but its reached peak shambles with this current lot.
    in the old days the media was never part of the story, that isn't the case anymore as more and more media members make very lucrative livings offering up news as 'opinion' rather than straight reporting.

its also nothing new that pollies just don't face up to hostile media anymore. Obama and Hillary wouldnt go near Fox News and Trump is calling CNN liars to their faces. None of this is healthy and i have no idea how it resolves itself.

social media is definitely going to be a bigger and bigger factor as pollies find a way to get their message out in their words to their supporters without getting a filter from friendly or unfriendly media. Like it or not Trumps twitter feed was a massive part of his reach and appeal. theres probably a lot of people who at least appreciate that they were hearing from the madman directly. Counter this with Hillary who's every move on social media was so polished and vanilla that a lot of people never really believed it was written by her or that the sentiment was ever genuine anyway.

as i said its going to be fascinating to see how it plays out.

again, im cheering for anarchy and chaos, let it fly.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

An arm of the Chinese government has snapped up Rio Tinto's coal mines in NSW and in the process has emerged as one of the largest coal miners in Australia.
    can we change our flag to red with dragons

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    can we change our flag to red with dragons
    Fly it next to the Hawk family crest from one of the castle spires.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    yeah look its only a rumour regarding CNN's reasons so we are playing hypothetical. i disagree a wee bit on their reporting of the buzzfeed stuff. it was no better than the old "unnamed sources tell us...." line that lets you get away with anything. CNN should have verified it, they are a news organisation, they are there to report the news and they have journalistic standards to adhere to. when the dust settled it looked like they just wanted to stick the boot into Trump and went off way too early.

but its a case of the media not trusting the govt and the govt not trusting the media.
    this is the way it is now and no it didnt start with Trump, but its reached peak shambles with this current lot.
    in the old days the media was never part of the story, that isn't the case anymore as more and more media members make very lucrative livings offering up news as 'opinion' rather than straight reporting.

its also nothing new that pollies just don't face up to hostile media anymore. Obama and Hillary wouldnt go near Fox News and Trump is calling CNN liars to their faces. None of this is healthy and i have no idea how it resolves itself.

social media is definitely going to be a bigger and bigger factor as pollies find a way to get their message out in their words to their supporters without getting a filter from friendly or unfriendly media. Like it or not Trumps twitter feed was a massive part of his reach and appeal. theres probably a lot of people who at least appreciate that they were hearing from the madman directly. Counter this with Hillary who's every move on social media was so polished and vanilla that a lot of people never really believed it was written by her or that the sentiment was ever genuine anyway.

as i said its going to be fascinating to see how it plays out.

again, im cheering for anarchy and chaos, let it fly.
    The governments and the media are all owned by the G30 so it's not even relevant if the government and media trust each other or not.
    It's little more than a smoke screen.
    This is the lot responsible for essentially advising the US Government to gift $29 Trillion in payments to save their sorry arses from the GFC they effectively caused.
    Trumps not even an issue because he's already under their control the same as Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Reagan before him.
    Trumps already started cutting Public Sector Jobs as they have commanded him to do.
    it's an abortion - the consequences are going to be another economic disaster sooner rather than later.

And keep in mind the only constraint the US government has for hiring workers is the availability of workers - cost is not an issue as their ability to pay wages cannot be challenged in economic terms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.5e09dcf80207

Note: The comments within this article are from Conservative Think tanks and are for comedy purposes only.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 25-01-2017 at 05:14 PM.

This is seriously funny.

Seeing as this is pretty much the only thread where this discussion can be had - I am interested in a serious discourse on the current push for changing the date of Australia Day.

I get the argument that my fellow white ppl can't really be held to account on atrocities committed by our admittedly f*cked up ancestors, but it also must be said that for Australia to be truly inclusive and at peace within itself, we need a treaty with our aboriginal population and celebrate this great country on a day where everyone can be a part of it. Because unfortunately this day, for a portion of our population, represents the beginning of the systematic eradication & genocide of the aboriginal population & culture.

Happy for both sides of the argument to be made in this discussion - but be respectful. Enough of this leftard vs RWNJ dismissal of points of view. Point & counterpoint, that's how adults have a discussion on ideas.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Happy for both sides of the argument to be made in this discussion - but be respectful. Enough of this leftard vs RWNJ dismissal of points of view. Point & counterpoint, that's how adults have a discussion on ideas.
    amen to that.

my problem is, exactly what day 'will' represent inclusiveness? Because 26/01/1788 was bad for indigenous folk, and in a lot of peoples minds its never gotten any better. So any day recognised as 'Australia Day' will be seen as a reminder of the divide.

for mine, the date is irrelevant, but every day we have a debate about the date, the way we celebrate, the flag etc etc etc is another day we stop dealing with the real issues facing the indigenous population which are (but not limited to):
    -incarceration rate.
    -domestic abuse.
    -education standards.
    -health standards.
    -opportunities.
    etc etc etc.

Now think what you will about Abbott but he at least shone a big spotlight on it and went "here is the real damn problem how do we fix it" and everyone immediately went "racist!!!!!!". Find me anywhere that the self labelled concerned citizens actually want to fix the problems facing the community and maybe the day we enact some legislation, or the day we begin to see some results, then make that day 'Australia Day'.

sorry was never go to be enough.
    hashtags are never going to work.
    Seems like I am WRONG

-incarceration rate.
    -domestic abuse.
    -education standards.
    -health standards.
    -opportunities.
    etc etc etc.
    now, before anyone misunderstands what this is.
    these are not problems limited to aboriginal people.
    these are not problems caused only due to white mans interference.
    but the fact is the numbers are skewed and they need to be fixed.
    Seems like I am WRONG

How about 9th May? Opening day of the first Federal Parliment in Australia where Australia took over governance from the British? Or Wattle Day on 1st sept?
    Agree that such a decision is largely symbolic, but would go a long way to bringing aboriginal society into the fold, as it were.

Also agree though, such a decision would need to be reinforced by significant legislative reform around official recognition & support for First Australians. Maori & Hawaiian ancestral treaties were signed in the 1840's - why are we so far behind?
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    How about 9th May? Opening day of the first Federal Parliment in Australia where Australia took over governance from the British? Or Wattle Day on 1st sept?
    Agree that such a decision is largely symbolic, but would go a long way to bringing aboriginal society into the fold, as it were.

Also agree though, such a decision would need to be reinforced by significant legislative reform around official recognition & support for First Australians. Maori & Hawaiian ancestral treaties were signed in the 1840's - why are we so far behind?
    yeah but again the 1st day of Parliament was still the 'white mans parliament' one that Aboriginals couldn't vote on yeah?(and i think we hated the chicks back then too right?).
    thats my point, every day from early Australia still has an element of suffering for indigenous folk.

and im a little different on the legislation stuff, im talking about laws that treat everyone the same, and standards and expectations across the whole community for us to abide by.

the recognition stuff is fluff. me, you and pretty much everyone else on this foz doesnt need a piece of paper to tell us that everyone is equal. its an assumed expectation that any decent society has.

but pollies prefer to debate this that deal with how to handle the scurge of child abuse in indigenous communities. leave the abusers in there and you're an enabler, remove the kids for their own protection and you're fostering another stolen generation, take away the grog and you're denying civil liberties.

no one wants to tread in those waters.

thats what i hate the most.
    Seems like I am WRONG

In the 60's 70's and 80's nobody really gave a rats arse about celebrating Australia Day.
    It didn't really become popular until the neo-liberals worked out that it was an excellent means by which to divide and conquer the population through good old fashioned Nazi style nationalism.
    Enter John Winston Howard - he loved Australia Day as it allowed him to promote his white supremacist ideology.
    Massive push for Australia Day from 1996 on wards. Plutocratic owned media machine also got on board as well to promote the very worst of Australia against minorities.

When should we celebrate Australia Day ? Never. It's nationalistic white supremacist bullshit and the sooner it's forgotten the better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    In the 60's 70's and 80's nobody really gave a rats arse about celebrating Australia Day.
    Enter John Winston Howard - he loved Australia Day as it allowed him to promote his white supremacist ideology.
    Massive push for Australia Day from 1996 on wards.
    yep, could have shot a gun down Sydney Harbour back in the 80's and no one would have gotten hurt........

Seems like I am WRONG

yeah but again the 1st day of Parliament was still the 'white mans parliament' one that Aboriginals couldn't vote on yeah?(and i think we hated the chicks back then too right?).
    thats my point, every day from early Australia still has an element of suffering for indigenous folk.

and im a little different on the legislation stuff, im talking about laws that treat everyone the same, and standards and expectations across the whole community for us to abide by.

the recognition stuff is fluff. me, you and pretty much everyone else on this foz doesnt need a piece of paper to tell us that everyone is equal. its an assumed expectation that any decent society has.

but pollies prefer to debate this that deal with how to handle the scurge of child abuse in indigenous communities. leave the abusers in there and you're an enabler, remove the kids for their own protection and you're fostering another stolen generation, take away the grog and you're denying civil liberties.

no one wants to tread in those waters.

thats what i hate the most.
    Good post Plague.

The governments of the day are still behaving like khunts to our indigenous people . Take these investigations into Child abuse. Not a single conviction -even though they pumped massive resources in against people with little money or skills to fight against it. That's the reality. Imagine the same actions taken upon the suburbs of Vaucluse, Point Piper, or Toorak ? it would never happen - but if it did I'd bet my life they'd uncover more pedo's in those suburbs that they would in the bush.
    The incidence of child abuse within Aboriginal communities is all based upon thin air.
    Sure it probably happens but why investigate Aboriginal communities and not the top end of town ? Answer: blatant racism.
    I mean we all know from A Current Affair that Aboriginals are all alcoholics. Wrong. All the research suggests that alcohol consumption is positively related to income. As incomes rise so to does alcohol consumption.
    If the government is worried about alcoholism then they should be targeting the highest income earners not Aboriginal people who in many cases are among the lowest income earning demographic.
    Want to lower the incidence of Aboriginal deaths in custody. Easy - stop locking them up for petty issues that any white person would receive a caution for at worst.

Neither side of politics is doing anything and the voting public of this country are simply too ****ing stupid and under the control of the mass media.

The bicentennial was when the shit started, prior to that nothing like it is now - it was just a day off work.
    The event in 1988 was an outlier. It was not the norm

Google 1988 Australia Day and it lights up like a Xmas tree - put in 1987 and you will struggle to find anywhere near the same amount of pics or indeed celebrations.

Prior to 1994 not all states and territories even recognised let alone celebrated Australia Day as a public holiday.

Get rid of it - it's a waste of time and only links us back to a very dark time in the countries history.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 26-01-2017 at 10:51 PM.

i contend that someone like Pat O'Shane has done more to divide Australians that any indigenous man in any indigenous community.

and thats a shame because her achievements warranted respect, but as soon as she became part of the class that looked back down on her own people and kept them from reaching the same heights.

Id make Twiggy Forrest indigenous affairs minister, at least he's trying to empower people. and yes he's doing it to make a dollar for himself, but heck, why not let everyone else in on the fun.
    Seems like I am WRONG

i contend that someone like Pat O'Shane has done more to divide Australians that any indigenous man in any indigenous community.

and thats a shame because her achievements warranted respect, but as soon as she became part of the class that looked back down on her own people and kept them from reaching the same heights.

Id make Twiggy Forrest indigenous affairs minister, at least he's trying to empower people. and yes he's doing it to make a dollar for himself, but heck, why not let everyone else in on the fun.
    We get nowhere talking about people we need to discuss ideas.
    But we also need to discuss them when it suits us not when popular media tells us it's time to do so.

There's only one Twiggy - the original and still the best.

Last edited by The Dunster; 26-01-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    This is seriously funny.

I've just realised; Trump talks exactly like Dr Evil.

http://www.solidarity.net.au/aborigi...-he-makes-out/
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...1fbf7ab6d4b4f3
    http://www.noosacommunityradio.org/h...-tribal-voice/
    https://castancentre.com/2015/10/06/...-human-rights/

More reasons why Andrew [Twiggy] Forrest should never be taken seriously.

And if we dig deeper we can see his privileged family background and note that the only thing he knows about indigenous Australians is how to take their land or publicly shame them - as did his family right back to his great grand father and great Uncle - known white supremacists of their days.

Sir John Forrest in particular as Premier of WA put into law that non-whites could not own mining licences. That's a wonderful legacy indeed.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 27-01-2017 at 10:58 AM.