Page 133 of 242 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 4840

Thread: The Politics/Religion/Conspiracies Deathmatch Thread

I think changing the date is a bit of a wank and just the latest in a long series of social media activist hype trains for people to feel like they are a good person and receive validation from like minded people. It may be the case that Australia Day has negative connotations for some of the indigenous population, but is moving it around really going to change much? Like Plague said its still gonna be the same day and people will then shift onto the next small and petty thing they want to change.

I completely agree that rather than a nominal change of date of a public holiday, actually fix the many real problems that the indigenous population have. Some of the stats the WHO and other orgs have on how much poorer off the average indigenous person is in Aus to the rest of the population are terrible and really are a blight on the nation's record.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think changing the date is a bit of a wank and just the latest in a long series of social media activist hype trains for people to feel like they are a good person and receive validation from like minded people. It may be the case that Australia Day has negative connotations for some of the indigenous population, but is moving it around really going to change much? Like Plague said its still gonna be the same day and people will then shift onto the next small and petty thing they want to change.

I completely agree that rather than a nominal change of date of a public holiday, actually fix the many real problems that the indigenous population have. Some of the stats the WHO and other orgs have on how much poorer off the average indigenous person is in Aus to the rest of the population are terrible and really are a blight on the nation's record.
    Peoples perception of the day is totally skewed though. Not helped by the honourable Plagues post of 1988 either.

As I said previously it wasn't even recognised at a national holiday until 1994 and prior to that only celebrated on any large scale to commemorate the 50th, 100, 150th, and 200th anniversaries of the 1788 landings.

And even then it was more or less a Sydney celebration not an Australian one. Philatelists have celebrated the day occasionally as well - but again - nothing huge.

And it doesn't help when someone like Andrew Forrest who's relationship with the Indigenous community is well documented - get an Australia Day gong.

It's nothing more than a piss take upon the masses by the elites who laughingly call Australia an egalitarian society.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 27-01-2017 at 12:48 PM.

We won't get anywhere while our biggest publicly funded media outlets promote division and racism while trying to convince everyone they are anything but.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    We won't get anywhere while our biggest publicly funded media outlets promote division and racism while trying to convince everyone they are anything but.
    Exactly, even the links I posted are part of the problem. It's an all in shit fight of epic proportions

It's always been celebrated or acknowledged for over 100years. Being gazzetted as a public hol in 1994 means nothing.

The question now - "is it still appropriate?" when we answer that we can make changes. So when did we become all Australian? Federation? When Indigineous were accepted as people, when immipgrants were accepted as Aussies? There's a sh1tload of cultural and social change to deal with for some.

Sure as shit through, when we choose a date there'll be someone saying thats my day of mourning you inconsiderate bastards.

Personally, January is a crap time for celebration, When silly season kicks in would be good, #LetsgetshitfacedNovember?

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    It's always been celebrated or acknowledged for over 100years. Being gazzetted as a public hol in 1994 means nothing.

The question now - "is it still appropriate?" when we answer that we can make changes. So when did we become all Australian? Federation? When Indigineous were accepted as people, when immipgrants were accepted as Aussies? There's a sh1tload of cultural and social change to deal with for some.

Sure as shit through, when we choose a date there'll be someone saying thats my day of mourning you inconsiderate bastards.

Personally, January is a crap time for celebration, When silly season kicks in would be good, #LetsgetshitfacedNovember?
    In 1986 the Australia Act came in force on March 3rd. We could celebrate that.
    The removal of Section 127 from the Constitution or the re-writing of section 128 could also be celebrated on August 10th. [although the territories did not comply until 1977 referendum was passed].

All very significant for all Australians - but I think March 3 would be the best one as it is really the point whereby we became our own country, and it is inclusive of all Australians.

Any other ideas ?

Even for non-aboriginal people I think celebrating the 1788 landing is ridiculous, especially when you consider that we were still under British Rule in one form or another for almost 200 years after that date.

Menzies always referred to himself as a subject of the empire rather than as an Aussie.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 28-01-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    the point whereby we became our own country, and it is inclusive of all Australians.
    Found it.

Close thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

In 1988 I dropped acid for the first time in the daytime.
    Best way I could have 'celebrated' 200 years.
    I've never looked at p!ssed wits on Australia Day the same since...

Found it.

Close thread.
    Agreed. /thread

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    November 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

May 8

Just do it
    OK

November 16.
    Divisive day. Loads of middle age white AFL and NRL fans still angry they had to turn a few pages in to read about the latest drug and rape scandal.

November 16.
    Good call - the day Australia's multicultural society took on the world bad guys and won, progressing to its biggest party. Or as a thought, what about.....

Why do we not just ask the indigenous people - "what would be a day of note to celebrate the diverse Australian community". It doesn't need to be a historic date...just a a date that suits all.

I agree with Dunster - much of the flag waving (it was illegal to display the flag outside your home for many years) started with 1988. And that is when many of the problems started. It has been dead since Cronulla.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/3180...ime=1486754150

No idea what he's doing? Completely out of his depth? This guy will be coaching the Jets right after he's done with his current gig.

t'was just sitting there tonight watching the telly when it dawned on me that neither me, nor anyone i know, hates another human being as much as some of these politicians hate gay people.

i mean, its just 'weird' that people find the time to get about hating so much.

just weird man.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

t'was just sitting there tonight watching the telly when it dawned on me that neither me, nor anyone i know, hates another human being as much as some of these politicians hate gay people.

i mean, its just 'weird' that people find the time to get about hating so much.

just weird man.
    They hate anything that runs against their religious beliefs such as gays and Aboriginals - and if you happen to be gay and aboriginal then it gets really ugly.
    I should add the religious rights hatred of Aboriginals has nothing to do with racism per se. It's more about the fact their very existence makes a mockery of creationism.

but the culture wars are over and it's time for the grown ups to take charge and get on with the real business...of continuing the culture wars

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    They hate anything that runs against their religious beliefs such as gays and Aboriginals - and if you happen to be gay and aboriginal then it gets really ugly.
    I should add the religious rights hatred of Aboriginals has nothing to do with racism per se. It's more about the fact their very existence makes a mockery of creationism.
    Religious people have every right to disagree with something dont believe in as long as it does not break law. There are 1000's of groups hateing on someone else right now but only a couple take the limelight. Vegos hate meateaters, motorcyclists vs cars, cyclists vs everyone, afl hates league, lib hate lab, ford hates holden, 15 minority groups hate each other in Syds west. Pick a fight and fap on about the injustice. Fill a bucket of tears and pour it on the garden....or go to the organisation that needs help and volunteer to help.

btw, Ive seen many Christians help indigenous but that cant be right cause it conflicts with another view

Stick to football and beer its much simpler
    Last edited by hawk; 15-02-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Religious people have every right to disagree with something dont believe in as long as it does not break law. There are 1000's of groups hateing on someone else right now but only a couple take the limelight. Vegos hate meateaters, motorcyclists vs cars, cyclists vs everyone, afl hates league, lib hate lab, ford hates holden, 15 minority groups hate each other in Syds west. Pick a fight and fap on about the injustice. Fill a bucket of tears and pour it on the garden....or go to the organisation that needs help and volunteer to help.

btw, Ive seen many Christians help indigenous but that cant be right cause it conflicts with another view

Stick to football and beer its much simpler
    Two options for the Christian Right fundamentalists:

1. Demonstrate that Planck's constant is equal to zero.
    2. Provide evidence that the earth is not greater than 6000 years old.

Because that's the rules the fundamentalists Plague was referring to are playing by. I never referred to all religious people.

I have no issue with good christian folk like John Polkinghorne who actually understand what they are talking about.

My issue is with fundamentalists / ideologues who push a position which is completely false and attack those that don't agree with them.

Your example is poor though because being born aboriginal or gay is not a choice like veganism, riding a motorcycle and so on.

Like I said - the fundamentalists need to show the earths not more than 6000 years old , demonstrate that Planck's constant is equal to zero - and I will apologise and withdraw my comments.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 17-02-2017 at 12:33 AM.

The Christian Right do not agree with this video. They are beyond help.