Page 134 of 242 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184234 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 4840

Thread: The Politics/Religion/Conspiracies Deathmatch Thread

I thought I'd post this one fjust in case Scott Morrison drops in for a read.

Great comic written a while back by Democratic Senator Al Franken. Worth a read. He's my dark horse for a presidential run in 2020.

http://imgur.com/gallery/bCqRp

WA erection - Bunbury 30% swing, ayfkm

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    WA erection - Bunbury 30% swing, ayfkm
    Was always coming wasn't it?
    Old Col put the cue in the rack ages ago. Libs never stood a chance, let alone the National team giving them the cold shoulder.
    How did the revolutionaries and Heir Hanson go?

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Was always coming wasn't it?
    Old Col put the cue in the rack ages ago. Libs never stood a chance, let alone the National team giving them the cold shoulder.
    How did the revolutionaries and Heir Hanson go?
    The Coalition don't lose elections they hand over the mess to the ALP. It's been like that for over 50 years.

So this penalty rate debate.
    Nonsense right across the board.
    No wonder blokes like Trump get elected.

Ditto for this 'housing affordability' debate.

My favourite line of the whole debate came from the Toots

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncat...weekly-budget/

Bryson says that while he looks down his nose at any form of organised religion, he still respects the Judeo-Christian traditions of taking it easy on a Sunday
    OK

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Ditto for this 'housing affordability' debate.
    Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    Please elaborate.
    labour 'reform' in this country never goes anywhere.

people using 'penalty rates' as a reason why they are going out of business are telling fibs.

no one cares about the big picture because it is further down the road than the next election and p&l.

so why they even bother pretending to care?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Please elaborate.

govt can't really do anything in the short term to help old arts graduate on a $55k wage move into that terrace in Darlinghurst like they always dreamed of.

life sucks sometimes.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

govt can't really do anything in the short term to help old arts graduate on a $55k wage move into that terrace in Darlinghurst like they always dreamed of.

life sucks sometimes.
    i know you're just being contrarian but it's not a great situation big plagueos and i'm sure you're aware.

i upskilled my arts degree into a PhD in medicine (innovative and agile, cunce) and i'm at a loss as to how i even buy a one bedroom apartment even close to where i work. (n.b. i work in kings cross). i'm not poorly paid now - but while doing said phd i was on a low end scholarship. i'm lucky i have a wife who had a good job. but in that 4 years while studying, prices in the city went bananas. like legit bananas.

the system is pretty busted. i understand i could move to the country (however there are no jobs in my particularly poorly chosen research speciality in da country) but even getting in on the bottom rung where plebs like me could afford in sydney, i.e. one bedders - is cooked.

i'd like a house but i'm a realist. i'd like a career too. christ, i'd like a kid but i'm not sure how i could afford to have it all.

i'll find a way no doubt but it's pretty grim on the property front, even if you are a useful yuppie like myself

i hope to land a couple of fat quaddies in the future to get me in the game
    Last edited by q-money; 16-03-2017 at 10:32 PM.

how much debt are blokes willing to get into these days?

are you willing just to cop it purely to get a roof over your head and a backyard for yer sproggets?

I'm not aiming this at anyone here - just a generalisation

I'll put my old person hat on for a paragraph or two. In saying that, the consumer society we live in is playing into the hands of the Finance sector and we really have nobody to blame but ourselves for allowing it to happen.
    Now - for those young people fortunate enough to have a job.
    I managed to save over $200k in seven years with earnings of around 60k per annum.
    You just have to prioritise and go without anything that doesn't keep you alive or won't turn you a profit in the future.
    And by that I mean never take a loan out for anything unless you are 99.9% sure you are going to make at least 50% profit on it after costs and taxes.
    If you can't afford to pay cash for a car or bike - save until you can.
    Spending $1000 or so a year on a mobile phone ? Great if you can afford it, but just don't whinge about houses being not affordable when you waste money on shit you don't need.....
    Holidays overseas.. and so on. Again. tired of hearing khunts whining about housing affordability when they jet set around overseas - borrowing to do so in many cases.
    Weddings - **** me why ? If can't afford to buy a house you cannot afford a wedding.

No doubt there are people with genuine money worries due to being unemployed through no fault of their own or perhaps having unforeseen costs due to illness, or whatever.
    But the reality is that people are caught up in consumerism and chasing rainbows and it's making them miserable.
    Sure the government are puppets for the plutocrats and all but people need to at least get themselves into a position to say I've done all I can - which is rarely the case these days.
    Always save money - doesn't matter if it's five dollars a week or $1000 a week - it all adds up, and it develops a mindset which will make your life a lot easier when you get older.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 16-03-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    i know you're just being contrarian but it's not a great situation big plagueos and i'm sure you're aware.

i upskilled my arts degree into a PhD in medicine (innovative and agile, cunce) and i'm at a loss as to how i even buy a one bedroom apartment even close to where i work. (n.b. i work in kings cross). i'm not poorly paid now - but while doing said phd i was on a low end scholarship. i'm lucky i have a wife who had a good job. but in that 4 years while studying, prices in the city went bananas. like legit bananas.

the system is pretty busted. i understand i could move to the country (however there are no jobs in my particularly poorly chosen research speciality in da country) but even getting in on the bottom rung where plebs like me could afford in sydney, i.e. one bedders - is cooked.

i'd like a house but i'm a realist. i'd like a career too. christ, i'd like a kid but i'm not sure how i could afford to have it all.

i'll find a way no doubt but it's pretty grim on the property front, even if you are a useful yuppie like myself

i hope to land a couple of fat quaddies in the future to get me in the game
    i went round the outside to get into the middle. brought places in the shitsville for nothing then tripled my investment in a few short years.
    all the data was there to help me along. i now live in the in the guts of it with owing nothing. it can be done.

you want to make good money in the medium term (10years). Just south of Perth you can buy beachfront land for $200k. you want certainty in life, death taxes, the Jets suck and beachfront land will always be at a premium.

1.buy there.
    2.sit on it.
    3. ???????
    4. Buy in Sydney.

i dont envy anyone having to work/live in the shithole that is Sydney. id never even try buying in there at the moment.
    my only advice is to say your prayers, eat your vitamins and load on on quaddies.

back on topic though my issue is that govts are banging on about people not being able to afford homes. the govt cant force people to sell for less, or discriminate against those who want to buy.

i just wish they'd shut up about it.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    how much debt are blokes willing to get into these days?

are you willing just to cop it purely to get a roof over your head and a backyard for yer sproggets?
    Start a family and work the shit out as you go along. Seriously, there is no better incentive for making money than having a wife and child to support.
    Sydney jobs will dry up in the coming years anyway because their will be no essential services due to those workers living 3 hours each way from where they work.
    The good news is that jobs will eventually start moving away from the big cities - and if they don't then pay rates will need to rise accordingly to stop the exodus.

I worked out long ago that it's not what you earn but what you have left after expenses which is important. In other words a basic tradie living in Newcastle / Maitland effectively is better off than any lawyer who hasn't made partner in Sydney and you could probably throw a whole host of other professions in there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    You just have to prioritise and go without anything that doesn't keep you alive or won't turn you a profit in the future.
    actually whilst im not parking in the same spots as Dunster at Westfield, i can understand this point.

id have way way way more money if i didnt gamble, drink, travel and take cocaine.

id also probably be the most miserable prick on the planet, instead of the happy cheery asshole you all know and love.

but i always made my money before spending it. i always used it as motivation to succeed in ventures. and if a venture didnt pay off (even the Plague has had some bad beats) then i went without.

Getting in over your head in debt for anything is crazy IMHO.

fight the power.
    Seems like I am WRONG

i went round the outside to get into the middle. brought places in the shitsville for nothing then tripled my investment in a few short years.
    all the data was there to help me along. i now live in the in the guts of it with owing nothing. it can be done.

you want to make good money in the medium term (10years). Just south of Perth you can buy beachfront land for $200k. you want certainty in life, death taxes, the Jets suck and beachfront land will always be at a premium.

1.buy there.
    2.sit on it.
    3. ???????
    4. Buy in Sydney.

i dont envy anyone having to work/live in the shithole that is Sydney. id never even try buying in there at the moment.
    my only advice is to say your prayers, eat your vitamins and load on on quaddies.

back on topic though my issue is that govts are banging on about people not being able to afford homes. the govt cant force people to sell for less, or discriminate against those who want to buy.

i just wish they'd shut up about it.
    It scares me how much I agree with you when it comes to money / investment. good post.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Yeah well saving $200,000 in seven years from 60g per year is legit insane and would be even more difficult in the present day.

Good on you, seriously.

But right now in Sydney there are three or four suburbs that have a median house price deemed to be affordable in relation to weekly repayments on the average wage: they're all 50km away from the CBD in suburbs that are basically fibro housing commission lots. On average they cost more than $400,000.

Unless you were lucky to buy years ago, or are loaded, there's very little hope for young people in today's housing market - in Sydney at least. Newcastle is a lot better mind you. Still, houses in Merewether etc. are going for upwards of $4m these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

i don't think the government owes me anything - if anything i owe it for 4 years of premium postgraduate education which i effectively got for a wage to live - which isn't afforded to more useful members of society - i.e. apprentice tradies

everyone is really right in a way - buy in perceived shitty areas, live like a pauper, drive a shit car etc. i've done the majority of them and will for a while.

as long as i'm alive and employed i'll be alright but man it must be tough for blokes/sheilas who aren't earning a decent wedge.