Page 135 of 242 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185235 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 4840

Thread: The Politics/Religion/Conspiracies Deathmatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Start a family and work the shit out as you go along. Seriously, there is no better incentive for making money than having a wife and child to support.
    soz mate i actually missed that one before i posted - this seems to be the truth

the only thing that probably spur me and my sweet angel to up sticks will be the arrival of q-minho

crazy times. lets land those quads lads

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    Yeah well saving $200,000 in seven years from 60g per year is legit insane and would be even more difficult in the present day.

Good on you, seriously.

But right now in Sydney there are three or four suburbs that have a median house price deemed to be affordable in relation to weekly repayments on the average wage: they're all 50km away from the CBD in suburbs that are basically fibro housing commission lots. On average they cost more than $400,000.

Unless you were lucky to buy years ago, or are loaded, there's very little hope for young people in today's housing market - in Sydney at least. Newcastle is a lot better mind you. Still, houses in Merewether etc. are going for upwards of $4m these days.

totally agree on the cost in sydney.
    but there are more than one ways to 'save' for a deposit. invest in property with some mates (the Greeks have their own freaking economy in Melbourne based on this), help finance a business. think outside the box. i wasn't joking on that Perth land idea, it will make someone lots and lots of money over the next 10 years. if you want it to be you, then go for it. if you don't want to take that risk, i totally understand, but someone will so why not me?

and no , im not telling anyone how its done, because its so ****ing hard, especially with a wife and kid.

and please don't think im all that much older than a few of you blokes on here.

and again, my argument, is that there is no simple answer. so why the govt is carrying on about it boggles me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

oh and for those worried about it, my best advice.

don't sweat it.
    write a list of the real priorities in your life.
    work from top to bottom.
    if you don't make it all the way down, then keep going til you do.

but if you knock over at least one, then you've nailed the most important one.

no one* in the world has 'everything', so don't feel the need to kill yourself trying.

*except Griff. Griff has everything. Hail Griff.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Some of the shitty areas in Sydney were actually not too bad to live in 40 years ago. Kings Langley for example was really nice in the 1970's and affordable for middle income earners and above. Today, it's an absolute shit hole with houses selling for over a million dollars that are woeful. Peoples yards look like shit now - and it's just a total dive all round.
    We had some friends come up here and visit a few weeks ago who used to live there and they went past their old home and could not believe what had become of the suburb or indeed housing prices.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Some of the shitty areas in Sydney were actually not too bad to live in 40 years ago. Kings Langley for example was really nice in the 1970's and affordable for middle income earners and above.
    when i was first looking to buy my boss (in sydney) drove me out to Balmain and told me the history.
    then he took me to mayfield and pointed out the similarities.
    i brought my first house in Mayfield, i wanted to live in Merewether.
    buying in Mayfield was the smartest financial decision i ever made.

there are more 'Mayfields' out there.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    when i was first looking to buy my boss (in sydney) drove me out to Balmain and told me the history.
    then he took me to mayfield and pointed out the similarities.
    i brought my first house in Mayfield, i wanted to live in Merewether.
    buying in Mayfield was the smartest financial decision i ever made.

there are more 'Mayfields' out there.
    Yes. Totally agree with you there - it has always ticked all the boxes - Close to a major centre with very expensive housing, and excellent transport.
    And I don't think Mayfield has finished yet - not by a long shot. It will surge again one day as well.

I'm not a city person so the further away from civilisation I can get the better. My next house will probably be Paterson or East Gresford with some river frontage - Just need to come out of retirement for a year or two down the track and load up the coffers a little.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 16-03-2017 at 11:48 PM.

righto but can you cunce go to BBQ king, eat a duck and get a bag of rack at 2am?

swings and roundabouts

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    righto but can you cunce go to BBQ king, eat a duck and get a bag of rack at 2am?

swings and roundabouts
    So long as you dont want a beer as well lol
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Who the hell cares about duck?
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    So long as you dont want a beer as well lol
    Just on this I was in Radelaide the other week and Jesus H Griff everything is shut on Sunday's.
    The hell is up with that?
    Seems like I am WRONG

swings and roundabouts
    Yes, but is it really duck ?

Just on this I was in Radelaide the other week and Jesus H Griff everything is shut on Sunday's.
    all the bloody churches might be a clue old son
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Google Box Hill in Melbourne if you really want to find out the worst place in the world to live.

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    all the bloody churches might be a clue old son
    Hehehehe.

Id dare say the girls from Crazy Horse spent a bit of time in the confessional.
    Seems like I am WRONG

RE: housing affordability - the main issue I have (and I'm not whinging, just more of a point to make) is that rent prices are akin to mortgage repayments.

And you're expected to save at least 5% deposit on top of this. So basically, to show you can afford to pay off 1x mortgage, you have to effectively cover 2 of them.

I understand there's legislation proposed to change this, but it's just crazy

I'm fully on board with Dunst & plague here. I hear all about this "survivability" etc with house prices and penalty rates but really, everything comes down to lifestyle. We've talked ourselves into the idea that we're "suffering" if we have less than 4GB data on our phone plans, if every adult doesn't have a car, if we don't have a 4bed 2bath house with the chocolate lab. Note that I personally fit a large amount of sterotypes, and I know it, so I acknowledge my hypocrisy here. But people just need to ACTUALLY prioritise what they NEED, because most people I see whinging about this shit currently are noticeably wasting their money on useless shit but then have the gaul to complain that they don't have what the normies have. Be adaptable, be flexible, make smart decisions & prioritise and you'll be able to save like plague and dunst are saying. Best eg i can give is i moved out of a share house and back with my parents to save for a house deposit. And a lot of people i see complaining "i can't move back with my parents" actually can, but talk themselves out of doing it. But in saying that I understand some people truly don't have those kind of opportunities.

But on q's thoughts, I saw this on social media the other day and found it extremely relevant:
    In 2000 the minimum wage was $15. Allowing for inflation that would be $22.89 in todays money. Yet the current minimum wage is $17.70. Inflation outstripping minimum wage by 23% over 17 years.
    OK

Actually all giggles aside q-mans post last night about late night duck and a bag of rack is quite pertinent.

I found out recently that one day eventually I'm going to die. Then the news got broken to me that everyone I know and have ever met in my life will also die one day too, and that kind of sucks.

So between now and that day, I'm going to enjoy myself immensely.

My great grandparents (who I didn't really ever know) arrived here by boat, from war, worked their asses off, had a nice big house in Merewether then decided to retire.

They sold everything they owned, and travelled the world for years before dying of old age (and smoking) within 6 months of each other.

They left their kids absolutely nothing other than the knowledge that you can have whatever you want, but you gotta go get it yourself.

Every time I hear that story I pump my fist because I think it's an awesome way to live. I've told Plague Jnr that's what I'm doing to him, luckily he's got his mothers brains so he'll be fine.

My great grandparents essentially died penniless, but they are the only people in my family worth remembering.

One persons property portfolio is another persons duck and back of rack.

Whatever floats your boat.

(And now I want to go out for a night on the tiles with q-man).

Dunst and Plague nailed it. You both have rich dad mentality and a big part of that is taking risk in investment of some sort. I did the house sharing, living at home, driving bomb cars, saving up even when my job earned $100 a week. I had more fun then while owning nothing.

If I had no chance of buying a house in the city now i'd buy in the next available suburb that I could afford, glendale, jeso it doesnt really matter. Alternatively if my job prospects sucked I'd buy a cheap piece of land in the country, owner build a kit home and live on govt welfare with the the odd cashy job for hols, ripping interent and enjoy the family growing up. Even our small city is starting to sh1t me.

Having a job in sydney centre? Ive no clue how to solve that.
    Last edited by hawk; 17-03-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Dunst and Plague nailed it. You both have rich dad mentality and a big part of that is taking risk in investment of some sort. I did the house sharing, living at home, driving bomb cars, saving up even when my job earned $100 a week. I had more fun then while owning nothing.

If I had no chance of buying a house in the city now i'd buy in the next available suburb that I could afford, glendale, jeso it doesnt really matter. Alternatively if my job prospects sucked I buy a cheap piece of land in the country, owner build a kit home and live on govt welfare with the the odd cashy job for hols, ripping interent and enjoy the family growing up. Even our small city is starting to sh1t me.

Having a job in sydney centre? Ive no clue how to solve that.
    Look at Hawk trying to sympathise with the common man whilst his PA types his posts from his private island.

Look at Hawk trying to sympathise with the common man whilst his PA types his posts from his private island.
    oops, this isnt the Newcastle Club lounge forum? damn.