Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 4840

Thread: The Politics/Religion/Conspiracies Deathmatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    ****s yelling about what??

Seelriously they haven't been deprived of the opportunity to watch it

They just have to go about it a different way

How they been disadvantaged here??

They just yelling at the sky here
    Yeah true, I don't know anyone that constantly whinges about stuff that has nothing to do with them and has the ability to remove the source of anger from their life but chooses not to.

Nope, can't think of a single person.

Yeah but in this day and age governments should either be funding everyone or funding no one.

If the US election taught us anything it's that the publics 'trust' of the media is at an all time low.

Nowadays every interaction between pollies and media is viewed with some skepticism.

Now you've got an individual dangling a billion dollar carrot over them and expect fairness?

Burn it all down.
    Trust no one.
    Stay woke

Interesting developments coming out of the Donald Trump outrage mini series episode #354.

Now that the call is out there to tear down these old confederate statues and monuments, is it actually a good thing?

And where do we draw the line on who we 'honour'?

Because all those old school mofos have skeletons in their closets and as much as I'd like to live in a world where only Griff statues exist, I'm not sure ripping down the ones you don't like solves more problems than it creates.

Which I guess then flows into the Australia Day debate.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Interesting developments coming out of the Donald Trump outrage mini series episode #354.

Now that the call is out there to tear down these old confederate statues and monuments, is it actually a good thing?

And where do we draw the line on who we 'honour'?

Because all those old school mofos have skeletons in their closets and as much as I'd like to live in a world where only Griff statues exist, I'm not sure ripping down the ones you don't like solves more problems than it creates.

Which I guess then flows into the Australia Day debate.
    I found it interesting that in a God fearing state such as the USA they would have any idols at all. A quick read of Exodus and Corinthians will more or less settle any doubts.

Exodus 20:2-6 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
    Corinthians 10:14 Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.
    Going over old ground here but Australian Day was never regularly celebrated until Howard decided to make it popular. Before that you have the bicentenary, the centenary and the odd stab here and there of Australia day having any meaning - but overall nobody gave a **** about it.

I have never celebrated Australia Day and never will. If others want to celebrate the day they can, but I just don't want to be a part of it.

Turnbull going off his nut at Yarra council for no longer backing Australia Day is more about creating division than it is about Turnbull being genuinely concerned with peoples rights to celebrate.

As long as people are fighting each other they are not fighting government and the elites that control them.

It's good old fashioned Sun Tzu, divide and conquer type shit on a global scale.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 17-08-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Turnbull going off his nut at Yarra council for no longer backing Australia Day is more about creating division than it is about Turnbull being genuinely concerned with peoples rights to celebrate.

yeah the thing i find most interesting is the amount of councils who have no concept what their actual charter is.

Councils are there pretty much for roads rates and rubbish.

yet here we are sticking our noses in on Australia day and (memory escapes me on which council it was) banning tim tams from the council kitchen because of some apparent link to Israel.

Local councils are now only breeding grounds for the next generation of entitled swine to get their chops in largesse and misappropriation on their way up the state and federal party ladder.

no better example than NCC on that one.

a pox on all their houses.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

back on the statues though. the interesting one i thought that was worth mentioning are the Nazi concentration camps. im sure a lot on here (like myself) went on the backpacker pilgrimage through europe and found themselves in one of these hellholes. personally it was a pretty brutal reminder of history that had i thought i already knew, but do these camps help or hinder the victims of it all?

if they want General Lee (no not the car Hawk) gone then if they levelled Auschwitz tomorrow id be fine with it, but id also be fine having it sitting there as a reminder of how ****ing evil some people truly are.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    back on the statues though. the interesting one i thought that was worth mentioning are the Nazi concentration camps. im sure a lot on here (like myself) went on the backpacker pilgrimage through europe and found themselves in one of these hellholes. personally it was a pretty brutal reminder of history that had i thought i already knew, but do these camps help or hinder the victims of it all?

if they want General Lee (no not the car Hawk) gone then if they levelled Auschwitz tomorrow id be fine with it, but id also be fine having it sitting there as a reminder of how ****ing evil some people truly are.
    wouldn't a more appropriate comparison in your example be auschwitz to say a slave ship? i've never been to Germany, but i'm assuming their aren't many statues of nazi's around anymore.

also, weren't most of these statues put up in the late 1800's and early 1900's? generally by resurgent white nationalists romanticising the past?

sorry plague, i don't think your comparison is valid.

actually on reflection maybe a plantation would be a better comparison.
    they are all just buildings but while ever they are standing they symbolise what went on inside them.
    i just find statues interesting when everything is there in print and on celluloid anyway. then add in school halls, roads etc and it becomes a slippery slope of how we should honour and remember people.

because here is where America is right now:

"MLK was against gay marriage"
    "George Washington owned slaves"
    They get a pass because the good outweighed the bad.

"Joe Paterno* may or may not have known about a former employees paedophilia"
    Remove all statues/dishonour his legacy.

its all a bit confusing to me.

*you'll have to go look that dude up to see what he was originally honoured for.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Attenzione: money people

Until now I've largely been able to ignore this entire bitcoin thing. But does anyone know the story of it? Check out:

https://www.coindesk.com/price/

Since March this year it's gone on this fxxx off massive spike. Why? What even is it? Why have we suddenly seen value in it?

Apparently banks are going to use it?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ing-e-versions

Does this all tie in with Macca's (page before) thing about the reserve bank etc?

What IS all this madness? Is my paypal going to be replaced by bitcoin in the coming days/months/years?

Am I missing this escalating opportunity to cash in on virtual dime bags by investing?

Someone do explain. I can't even fathom it all currently.
    OK

Its an interesting concept. I know a little bit about it. For the details on how it actually functions, look up block chains and cryptocurrency. Fairly cool system.

As for the price of it. Others may know more but to me it just seems like a market value thing, no different to why Tesla or Google shares have gone up massively in recent years. People like what they see, or people think other people like what they see.. for whatever reason, its in demand so the price goes up. Personally I'm too scared to jump on the bandwagon now when its so high but it most likely will continue to go up, especially as its becoming more and more mainstream. The idea being universal currency with no transaction or conversion fees. Market efficiency at work. Dunster would love it.

Some people have made a LOT of money off it though. Back in the early days you could "mine" bitcoins I believe. Basically the way the currency is kept secure is with keys to certain algorithms that are difficult to compute. I think at the start there were plenty of somewhat simple solutions so anyone interested could set their CPU to work and find some solutions, and be rewarded with bitcoins. At the time these were worth cents. People could get hundreds or thousands of these things. That are now of course worth thousands each.

Now, all the easy solutions are gone so the CPU time required to find solutions is impractical - probably in the realm of supercomputers etc.

There's also stories of people having mined hundreds of these things, and having the details to them on a computer that has since gone into disrepair. They find out years later the things are worth big bux and are fuming that they can't access their money.

The problem with bitcoin is that it is not a form of tax driven money. Like Macca said it's really just another type of stock / share / derivative
    Money on the other hand has value because we require it to meet our tax obligations to government. Because they issue the money, they also put it in law that their own money is the only one they will accept as payment to extinguish tax obligations.

Bitcoin cannot pay your taxes and as such it might as well be a hoola hoop because when the fads over it's absolutely worthless.

I guess the danger is similar to commodities, where the value may start to be driven by people just trading it with no interest in using it, rather than intrinsically.

My memory is getting tested here but I think the other reason its gone up so much is that the supply is limited by how many keys people can create, which as I said is getting more and more difficult each time. So while technically the supply is infinite, I guess it follows a log sort of curve.

There is no requirement for the currency to exist, as Dunster said. And yet it is growing in popularity and if it continues to have advantages over traditional currencies, I see no reason why the demand for it would vanish.

Similar but completely different:
    Remember derivatives during the GFC?
    They were a thing that got passed along the investment chain until the the music stopped and the poor suckers at the end were left holding a stinking hot worthless turd (inc a LOT of local govts).

Not saying crypto is the same thing, but if you don't understand it,and as Dunster said it isn't a 'real' thing (yet) then why the heck would you invest your money into it?

There's a lot of people making money off it ATM but they only do when they find someone willing to be the next link in the chain.

Gold will always have value because aside from transactions, unit of account, and store of wealth value, it's reflective properties as an insulator provide massive appeal in electronic / engineering applications.

You really can't do jack shit with a bitcoin other than trade it with other star wars action figure collectors.

So all this time I have been of the similar belief like we are saying that this cryptocurrency etc is a stock/share/commodity/etc like you are saying.

But the question is if/when it gets used as an actual currency, banks use it, etc etc, right? What if/when it becomes "real", and doesn't fizzle out? With the aim of being reserve bank-less, like Macca's article from a few weeks ago in here.

And I guess what I'm asking is what Macca has touched on - what if people start using it intrinsically, and how do we treat it like a share until that happens, yet help it happen.

I did read one thing which I just can't get my head around at all that there are "only" 21million bit coins (note: that figure may be wrong. but there was a number stated). and so the value went up/down BECAUSE there was a "finite" amount of it. But whom regulates that? Who "made" bitcoins, and what is to stop him/her from making more? And what about these bro's with hundreds stored on a hard drive they can't access? Are those hundreds apart of this "finite" amount of them, and because they are "destroyed/missing" are the values and figures not actually accurate?

I have exactly zero doubt I don't have a handle on all of this. But super interested in yalls thoughts on it all. Thankyou for giving the time!
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    So all this time I have been of the similar belief like we are saying that this cryptocurrency etc is a stock/share/commodity/etc like you are saying.

But the question is if/when it gets used as an actual currency, banks use it, etc etc, right? What if/when it becomes "real", and doesn't fizzle out? With the aim of being reserve bank-less, like Macca's article from a few weeks ago in here.

And I guess what I'm asking is what Macca has touched on - what if people start using it intrinsically, and how do we treat it like a share until that happens, yet help it happen.

I did read one thing which I just can't get my head around at all that there are "only" 21million bit coins (note: that figure may be wrong. but there was a number stated). and so the value went up/down BECAUSE there was a "finite" amount of it. But whom regulates that? Who "made" bitcoins, and what is to stop him/her from making more? And what about these bro's with hundreds stored on a hard drive they can't access? Are those hundreds apart of this "finite" amount of them, and because they are "destroyed/missing" are the values and figures not actually accurate?

I have exactly zero doubt I don't have a handle on all of this. But super interested in yalls thoughts on it all. Thankyou for giving the time!
    I don't know, but I would guess the lost bitcoins are indeed captured in the records of all existing coins. The premise is that there is exact and excellent record keeping of the transactions that take place. The problem is there is no ownership of them or anything physical. And because there's no regulator, you can't go crying to mumma and say I lost x amount please replace, or someone stole x off me.

As I was saying, my understanding is that a bitcoin is "created" by a computer working out a new solution to the security algorithm that protects the record of transactions that have taken place. As incentive for people to put their computers to work finding these solutions, a new solution is rewarded with some bitcoins.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post

It's never going to become a legitimate currency because it is not tax driven. And at the end of the day people need to meet their tax obligations which will always be denominated in the money supplied by the sovereign governments central bank - not private ones.

To give you an idea how impossible it would be to adopt bitcoin as a currency you need only look at the JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Rothschild family... and so on.

As big as they all are and influential none of them have enough pull to take on the Federal Reserve or even the RBA because they don't have the power to link an issue of money with taxation. And unless you can force demand for your money it's always going to be on borrowed time. Governments may be run by idiots but the system we have is robust enough to never allow for the link between taxation and money to be severed. Unfortunately, can't be as optimistic with respect to the Europeans and their 2h pencil constitutions. [Euro currency is one of the worst ideas in history]

Talking about bitcoin [or anything] value wise is a question Adam Smith asked in 1776 and no economist yet has been able to answer it. He got it down to value in use and value in exchange - and we have been arguing about it ever since.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 23-08-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Great reading, thanks all for your input.

Have a few mates who are trading Bitcoin and doing well, but as was pointed out - the value is in the eye of the beholder. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

At least with most stocks, they are tied to actual entities and not just an ideal.

More power to those that are trading in on this cryptocurrency and buying tangible things like lime-green lambo's. But I bet the car dealer didn't take bitcoin as payment

Not as mad as the eighties whereby a bloke with no money could write himself an IOU for $100k then take the IOU with him to the bank as Collateral and use it to borrow a million dollars or more.
    You just can't do shit like that anymore. Great times.

Can you expand on the Euro?