Page 153 of 242 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 4840

Thread: The Politics/Religion/Conspiracies Deathmatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    im with Hawk for the most part i blame the individual or getting sucked into the "keeping up with the Jones' hustle".
    ive also got a young kid, he plays sport at least 4 times a week and eats super healthy (seriously dads, how hard is to cook up a steak and stir fry some veg for the little ones in your life).
    All this on both parents working full time.

it can be done so i have a hard time hearing the sob stories.

but yeah for sure its tough on some people but by now if you havent worked out that Maccas will make ya fat and the dude from One Direction doesnt give a toss about you but just wants to sell you a ringtone then i feel i cant help ya.
    Do kids actually organise sports / games among themselves these days ? When I was a kid I can remember us organising our own games from between the ages of 5 to 15 or so. Cricket, hockey, football, Union, League, Basketball, tennis, squash, golf, Ten Pin... you name it. We'd make it happen. We'd find a venue and we'd lob down with our gear and play. It wasn't an occasional thing either - it was practically every chance we had - we'd make it happen. On the days we didn't we'd be riding bikes, running..... and so on.

This sort of thing might still happen but in general I think online gaming between the kids has definitely replaced the in person sports fixes we had in the 60's and 70's.

A lot has changed no doubt but sport was very affordable back in my day - today that's simply not the case. Venues for playing have disappeared as well - much of where I spent my time playing sports as a kid has long since gone.

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    the argument triple j is making is they've moved it to take the political debate away from the countdown. it's big news now of course, and yeah it is a political statement, but in a few years time it'll just be normal.
    I will self edit here, i was fooled (hashtagfakenews) into thinking Triple J used the term 'Invasion Day' in their statement, when it was paraphrased by other news outlets.
    upon reading the official statement it couldnt have been worded better.

thats my bad.
    Last edited by plague; 28-11-2017 at 11:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Do kids actually organise sports / games among themselves these days ? When I was a kid I can remember us organising our own games from between the ages of 5 to 15 or so. Cricket, hockey, football, Union, League, Basketball, tennis, squash, golf, Ten Pin... you name it. We'd make it happen. We'd find a venue and we'd lob down with our gear and play. It wasn't an occasional thing either - it was practically every chance we had - we'd make it happen. On the days we didn't we'd be riding bikes, running..... and so on.

This sort of thing might still happen but in general I think online gaming between the kids has definitely replaced the in person sports fixes we had in the 60's and 70's.

A lot has changed no doubt but sport was very affordable back in my day - today that's simply not the case. Venues for playing have disappeared as well - much of where I spent my time playing sports as a kid has long since gone.
    Spot on for this one. Theres only so much pong you could handle and there was fk all fast food.

Apart from drugs and lack of entry level employment I see gambling as a big issue right now. Online at home is just too easy to through the house and family away which leads down to the other destructive behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Do kids actually organise sports / games among themselves these days ? When I was a kid I can remember us organising our own games from between the ages of 5 to 15 or so.
    this is a very important point.
    no doubt back in the day more kids were probably thrashing around in their local parks doing their thing.
    but yeah we live in a different world now.

sadly, but importantly, it on the parents to get off their asses and provide the kids with the opportunities. sadly a fair bit of sport these days is seen as glorified day care, and from my own experiences ive seen that the kids who lose interest in sport first are the ones whose oldies cant be bothered getting involved either.

and true, kids sport aint cheap. but if you cant afford nippers get em down the beach for an hour a week and get em out between the flags. ovals are plentiful and mostly free for a kick on a weekend or after school. get on a pushie round this beautiful city or go bushwalking up at Blackbutt.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Apart from drugs and lack of entry level employment I see gambling as a big issue right now. Online at home is just too easy to through the house and family away which leads down to the other destructive behaviour.
    if you're predisposed to being a degen you'll always be a degen

dunno what the figures actually aren't the majority of serious problem gamblers pokie fiends? (i.e. actually out of the house lel)

if it is a growing issue - at least the kids are actually showing an interest in sport i guess

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    if you're predisposed to being a degen you'll always be a degen

dunno what the figures actually aren't the majority of serious problem gamblers pokie fiends? (i.e. actually out of the house lel)

if it is a growing issue - at least the kids are actually showing an interest in sport i guess
    Yep the online Pokes is what I was aiming at although the Sportsbet dudes are doing alright. They'll probs get the sports kids in sooner or later then bam! i give up.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    I see gambling as a big issue right now.
    I cannot be held responsible for people following my KOTH selections.

In fact I'm pretty sure Plague ran a very convincing campaign warning people of the dangers as well.

Banned
    this is a very important point.
    no doubt back in the day more kids were probably thrashing around in their local parks doing their thing.
    but yeah we live in a different world now.

sadly, but importantly, it on the parents to get off their asses and provide the kids with the opportunities. sadly a fair bit of sport these days is seen as glorified day care, and from my own experiences ive seen that the kids who lose interest in sport first are the ones whose oldies cant be bothered getting involved either.

and true, kids sport aint cheap. but if you cant afford nippers get em down the beach for an hour a week and get em out between the flags. ovals are plentiful and mostly free for a kick on a weekend or after school. get on a pushie round this beautiful city or go bushwalking up at Blackbutt.
    Hey kids need to take responsibility for themselves

I see it all the time with them

The 13-15 year old males with the I am bored mentality can't find anything to do

Lazy arse ****ers they are

They have the internet PlayStation DVD player multiple Tv stations etc (FFS when I get up it was ABC and NBN)

They have all these things to do and they can't even find shit to do ??

Lazy arse bludging shits

You never see the ****ers having a game of cricket or playing drugby league in the park or kicking a football about

Then they can go to the water like FFS we are blessed with fine beaches a large ****ing lake and a river

The kids these days are just lazy fools who can't find anything to do because they retarded enough that the only activity worth doing is if costs some **** money

Make all the excuses for them but it is their responsibility to occupy their ****ing time

The dick tower is being demolished. Discuss:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/50...t-year/?cs=305
    OK

RE: kids not running around outside - it may also be that parents are afraid of leaving their kids unattended with all the shit that goes on in the world these days. So unless every parent wants to go along with their kid to the park or whatever, it's probably not going to happen.

I'm not a parent, so I have no authority, just throwing it out there

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    The dick tower is being demolished. Discuss:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/50...t-year/?cs=305
    Seeing as though both central coast and now Sydney have useless oversized cocks the novelty has worn off for ours.

So yeah thank Hutcho and Matt Simon for it coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    RE: kids not running around outside - it may also be that parents are afraid of leaving their kids unattended with all the shit that goes on in the world these days. So unless every parent wants to go along with their kid to the park or whatever, it's probably not going to happen.

Yep that’s pretty much it.
    The world is a different place, the opportunities for kids to get out there still abound but they need parents to get out there with em (In a lot of cases).

If parents don’t have time to spend outdoors with your kid doing something beneficial they prob just shouldn’t have kids. They aren’t pets.

Hey kids need to take responsibility for themselves

I see it all the time with them

The 13-15 year old males with the I am bored mentality can't find anything to do

Lazy arse ****ers they are

They have the internet PlayStation DVD player multiple Tv stations etc (FFS when I get up it was ABC and NBN)

They have all these things to do and they can't even find shit to do ??

Lazy arse bludging shits

You never see the ****ers having a game of cricket or playing drugby league in the park or kicking a football about

Then they can go to the water like FFS we are blessed with fine beaches a large ****ing lake and a river

The kids these days are just lazy fools who can't find anything to do because they retarded enough that the only activity worth doing is if costs some **** money

Make all the excuses for them but it is their responsibility to occupy their ****ing time
    Good points member. The reason behind the changes in how young people occupy themselves is simply marketing. Previous generations like mine and I'm guessing yours were brought up as people / citizens. The current generations have been brought up as consumers. Therefore, from the day they were born they have been constantly marketed to as consumers - and as a result that's all they know. The subliminal messages from the marketing machine have these kids categorising everything in terms of money. If it's good it costs more , if it's shit it costs nothing - that's the perception anyway.

Then you have the gotta play this game, must have this phone, must wear these clothes, must look this way, must like this product, most hold this value / ideology..... and so on.

Hence, easy to blame the kids but a bit unfair given the barrage of marketing directed towards them - they never really had a chance to be honest.

Things are even more dire when for many of them jobs and a future are rather bleak. Many choose to give up rather than fail - to try and at least convince themselves it was their decision rather than accept that the system has rejected them.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 29-11-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Yep that’s pretty much it.
    The world is a different place, the opportunities for kids to get out there still abound but they need parents to get out there with em (In a lot of cases).

If parents don’t have time to spend outdoors with your kid doing something beneficial they prob just shouldn’t have kids. They aren’t pets.
    That's always been the case - what's changed though is in the past we had a sense of community. Everyone knew each other and tended to look out for them. So if you saw another persons kid in need of help, or indeed doing the wrong thing you sorted it out. Today, people don't know their neighbours let alone the name of a kid a few streets away, then there is also the fact people are shit scared of being sued... and so on for getting involved.

Again, it's just a massive marketing scare campaign.

Then in the same breath we have people [no offence to MFKS] wondering why kids cannot make a decision - the reason is that for many of them that option was taken away from them.

The world might be different but it's been blown out of proportion by the media and so on as a play for control over the masses, and it's worked for them.

We had serial killers, rapists, drug dealers... and so on in the 1960's as well. What we didn't have was Neo-Liberals running the show like we do now.

The Neo-liberals turned us from citizens into consumers and it's been shit ever since.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 29-11-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post

I went to reply my thoughts out but see Dunster's comments above ^ about how all those nasties existed back then too.

If anything shouldn't it be better nowadays because of technology, surveilance, etc? Back in Dunster's childhood if a dude grabbed a kid in a park you'd have a few witness reports. Now, people would live tweet that shit.
    OK

ain’t never done met an 8,12 or 16yr old who controls the family purse strings.

Parents give in to it. they are the real suckers here.

Sorta the same thing innit though. People falling trap to marketing and societal pressures.

And as for technology making the world safer, it probably does.. the problem is the 24 hour news cycle and news turning into a ratings machine and a form of controlled media release. This "news" shapes peoples' perceptions of the world and when we're constantly bombarded by kidnappings, bombings, terror attacks, pedophilia, sexual predators etc etc is it any wonder people are more scared these days?

Probably agree with Dunst about the community thing, personally have pretty much nothing to do with direct next door neighbours let alone people down the road or the next street over. When everyone knows everyone there's a lot less mystery and a lot more secure feel around.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Sorta the same thing innit though. People falling trap to marketing and societal pressures.

And as for technology making the world safer, it probably does.. the problem is the 24 hour news cycle and news turning into a ratings machine and a form of controlled media release. This "news" shapes peoples' perceptions of the world and when we're constantly bombarded by kidnappings, bombings, terror attacks, pedophilia, sexual predators etc etc is it any wonder people are more scared these days?

Probably agree with Dunst about the community thing, personally have pretty much nothing to do with direct next door neighbours let alone people down the road or the next street over. When everyone knows everyone there's a lot less mystery and a lot more secure feel around.
    I am not any more scared in this day and age as I was 25 years ago

Probably has a lot to do with the fact I don't watch normal ****ing TV so I probably miss most of the advertising scaremongering shit

But that is still the person's choice to believe the hype and bullshit from the media.

Look at the whole ****ing T thing since 9-11 what we had in Australia since?? A nutter in a coffee shop killing 2 is about it

Look at all the fear mongering and scare campaigns have managed to achieve for events as likely as Gypos winning a GF

People are absolutely petrified of the prospect of T and for what reason ??

It doesn't really happen

They do - that's why marketing towards children and teens is so rigorous. The car industry has for many years targeted children because of their strong influence in their parents purchasing decisions.

Parents give in because they are time constrained or simply don't want the hassles they get at work to follow them home I guess.

There is also parents spending more than they can truly afford on golden tickets to the Wonka Factory [Private Education]. Because it's a better education - it's not - it's more or less membership to a cult.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 29-11-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Regarding kids activity levels - I see huge amounts of parents telling their kids to be more active, go find something to do and amuse themselves, only to slip straight back into scrolling through social media on their phones, immersing themselves in work emails, nailing another bigmac or general vegging around. I'm someone with high activity levels and even I'm guilty of it. Sometimes I'd like to see less of the whole "back in my day" statements and more of the whole showing kids that you can still be active, play outside, entertain yourself without the need for technology. Kids are ultimately a product of their parents.