Page 41 of 242 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: The Politics/Religion/Conspiracies Deathmatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    We did have a referendum on that in the late 90s anyway

Just showed how thick ****s are in this country.

The status quo was kept coz ****s somehow thought it was ridiculously important that they get to vote for the president and wouldn't accept a republic without this criteria.

Same dumb ****s who forget that right now you don't vote for the PM or governor general anyway but your local MP and have **** all say in who is the PM anyway
    Referendums are difficult to get up due to the endogeneity of response. [ How the question is framed]

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Referendums are difficult to get up due to the endogeneity of response. [ How the question is framed]
    Exactly.
    The '99 referendums biggest problem was that although polling showed a good % of people didn't want a foreign head of state, the alternative (or lack thereof) scared people off.
    The republicans did a horseshit job of explaining how they could come up with an impartial figure who essentially had to hold the govt to account.

The pollies were pretty much all like "yeah just vote it in and we'll sort out the detail later".

Having pollies 'sort out detail' in the best interests of the nation was something that Joe Public wasn't silly enough to fall for.

When it came down to a choice between the incumbent or someone like Shane Warne, Alan Joyce or Paul Howes, the public was happy to keep the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    When it came down to a choice between the incumbent or someone like Shane Warne, Alan Joyce or Paul Howes, the public was happy to keep the status quo.
    Pretty sure back then that Ray Martin polled highest in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Pretty sure back then that Ray Martin polled highest in that regard.
    And there you go.
    Bloke isn't impartial, may as well have had Alan Jones.

That was the problem with the whole campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
    My understanding is that Australia is more like the German Confederation then a true nation in it's own right. A group of soverign states grouped together for common purposes. Really unlike any other nation afaik our states wield considerable power if not more then the federal government.

Our system is good because if one branch of government does things not in the interest of the nation a state can act in such a way to nullify a lot of what the federal government is doing and vice versa.
    Unlike any other nation? Not sure this is true.

I'm sure there are plenty of counties where government power is as decentralised or even more so than ours.
    The US is the most obvious one that comes to mind, as well as Spain.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Unlike any other nation? Not sure this is true.

I'm sure there are plenty of counties where government power is as decentralised or even more so than ours.
    The US is the most obvious one that comes to mind, as well as Spain.
    In the US state law can trump federal law. It's why Obama had to direct the DEA not to interfere with Colorado's yarndi laws.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Just like to take the opportunity to announce two things.

Firstly wish my lord and saviour JC a happy birthday for tomorrow. Really appreciate your sacrifice to die for our sins

Secondly wish you all a Merry Xmas particularly to the two best posters on the foz Plague and FR
    why would god give birth to himself only to kill himself just to forgive for some sins that i didn't commit anyway (and neither did you, or anyone)

couldn't the omnipotent **** have forgiven without the bullshit convoluted process? talk about ****ing wasteful

p.s. yes i have been drinking
    we will loose

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    I love drunk snake

GF party this year at slobsys
    we will loose

So Malcom Fraser hey.
    Didn't seem to have many mates.
    Although the hippies started liking him after he went full Red Wedding on the Libs.

I liked Fraser

then again I like sensible, decent politicians who put facts ahead of ideology and are socially progressive and financially conservative

yeah he was before my time but from what I read was very vocal on indigenous rights as well as being at the forefront of the anti apartheid movement.

Can't fault that.

I guess people didn't like the fact he was a conservative who came from a fairly well off family.

and of course for his part in the Whitlam dismissal, in which by all accounts he was a bit of a ****

need a dd soon, but cosgrove ismtoo much of an insipid mutt to call it
    we will loose

I really liked Mal in his later years, and I think he came to realise that being Lib or Lab really means fukall, just do the right thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    why would god give birth to himself only to kill himself just to forgive for some sins that i didn't commit anyway (and neither did you, or anyone)

couldn't the omnipotent **** have forgiven without the bullshit convoluted process? talk about ****ing wasteful

p.s. yes i have been drinking
    book sales and the collection plate are pretty important apparently.

Anyone able to give a bit of a summary on each of the homies running for Lake Mac in the state election? Who is doing what that is good or bad?

I listened to a few interviews that ABC radio did, and Greg Piper the independent seemed the most down to earth. If I don't bother to track down or be given a decent summary of which issues all of them do or don't subscribe to, I'll probably vote for Piper.
    OK

Took part in the ABC's Vote Compass tool for the first time ever. Turns out, I align mostly with the Greens on individual policies. Not by a great margin over Labor, but still I think I might vote Greens this weekend.

Cue cynical jibes about throwing my vote away and preferences etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    Took part in the ABC's Vote Compass tool for the first time ever. Turns out, I align mostly with the Greens on individual policies.
    Haha, you can type in that thing that you hate the blacks and Jews and it will still tell you to vote Green.
    It's the ABC FFS.

Legit though, vote however you want but you are essentially voting Labor if you vote Greens. Most people are cool with that.
    Same as you are voting for Libs if you're voting Nationals out bush way.

They're all pretty much ****s tho.

My voting compass:

OK