Page 66 of 242 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 4840

Thread: The Politics/Religion/Conspiracies Deathmatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    On a different note Hauss said something id never heard before can someone clear it up.

Do Christians believe that God physically exists within the physical /material universe that Snake lives in. and which Smake and his friends are trying to explore and understand.

Or

Does Snake live in Gods world where the existence of God is forever 'on the outside' of and therefore will never be physically seen by the non believers trying to look for Him no matter what scientific methods they use.

I hope that question made sense.
    god used to be everywhere. how else could a tree or a child grow, if not for the guidance of god? then we looked, and he wasn't there. i haven't looked under my bed lately - perhaps he's there?

as a result of never showing up anywhere, ever, spiritual folk have invoked wishy-washy concepts as a place for god to live. "outside our physical world", you may hear. well, that's some great goalpost shifting. but, if he exists ouside our physical world and leaves no sign of anything in our world, then there can be no miracles. ironically, that's exactly what we see. there are no miracles. no-one has ever regrown a lost leg.
    we will loose

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Nicolas Fatio de Duillier and Newton correspondence in Newton Collection at Trinity Library provides strong evidence of a more than friends relationship between them.
    Some of the letters from Fatio mention things like never being able to marry or indeed Fatio saying that he could spend the rest of his life with Newton... and so on.
    Now if Plague were to send me a letter of that kind I'd probably not be all that impressed. Newton on the other hand - he showered Fatio with gifts and money.

When the relationship did end [Fatio started a relationship with another man] Newton fell deeply into depression..... and so on.

There is no evidence that Newton and Fatio actually had a sexual relationship but anyone thinking they didn't would also have been shocked when Freddie Mercury or Ian Thorpe came out.

With respect to religion: Dissenters were not offered fellowships at any of the colleges at Cambridge until the later stages of the 19th Century. As such if you wanted a fellowship you got on board the religion train or they left you at the station - regardless of your talent.

As such, Newton like anyone else in his position would always declare themselves to be a Christian.

Again. go though Newtons papers or indeed the diaries of others and you will find he probably never lectured even though it was a requirement of the Lucasian Chair and he very rarely if ever attended any religious ceremonies - something most unusual for a fellow at Cambridge let alone a Lucasian Professor.

Obviously I haven't been through Newtons entire catalog - nobody has to my knowledge. However, we probably know more about him now than we did 200 years ago.

If I get bored and decide to crack open some boxes I might shoot a few direct quotes from Newtons papers [ copies of course] - although by now they would probably be on the interwebs...
    cheers.

i haven't read too much, but documentaries i've see have claimed he was devout. and an alchemist. and a whiny ****. but a brilliant one!
    we will loose

OK, so can we use this set of criteria to prove/disprove the following:
    1. Wilts 100 point game.
    2. If Newton was a pillow biter.

I'm actually not joking about this, get at it lads.
    firdtly, you can't "prove" these. only pure logic and mathematics have proofs. everyone else just fails to disprove them, after trying really hard.

/pedant

can the methods be used to test those questions - a resounding yes. is there sufficient evidence to support either claim?

1. i don't know
    2. i don't know

hope this helps!
    we will loose

dont underestimate the 8 ball

so anyway, tones hates wind energy. flying out of frankfurt in 2012, it was noticable how far behind we are. they seem to polarise our society - do others find them as unappealing as our dear leader does? while i'd "prefer" a natural landscape, i don't find them unattractive, certainly not on the level of old tv antennas or telegraph poles. actually, i'd say somewhat relaxing. certainly a preferable alternative than the complete destruction of mining activities.
    we will loose

Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    so anyway, tones hates wind energy. flying out of frankfurt in 2012, it was noticable how far behind we are. they seem to polarise our society - do others find them as unappealing as our dear leader does? while i'd "prefer" a natural landscape, i don't find them unattractive, certainly not on the level of old tv antennas or telegraph poles. actually, i'd say somewhat relaxing. certainly a preferable alternative than the complete destruction of mining activities.
    I am surprised no-one has asked him if he prefers the devestated landscape and issues for future generations that mining leaves?

Personally am always disappointed that we don't have greater wind generation of power.
    Go jetties

Anyone keen on Nuclear energy?
    Solves all* our problems innit?

*yeah yeah I know, please don't say it.

Anyone keen on Nuclear energy?
    Solves all* our problems innit?

*yeah yeah I know, please don't say it.
    Someone a little while ago, lets call them an expert, they were certainly a commentator on this kind of thing at anyrate.

They said that Australia had almost certainly missed the boat on Nuclear Energy and that the funds needed to catch up would be substantially greater than what we would ever be willing to spend, basically saying that we would be better off investing in "newer" forms of energy.
    Go jetties

Attn: supernerdz, is there any evidence/opinion that wind/alternate energy sources are ready to take over (reliably) from fossil fuels?
    If not is there some sort of time frame that we can successfully transition from one to the other?

Costa Rica is run 100% on renewable energy. (A vast portion of that though is methane and ethanol I believe).

Solar power is still only maximum 30-35% efficient and even that I think is in experimental panels.
    There was a company making solar tiles for housing a while back, which when combined with lithium batteries could make individual houses completely fossil fuel free. Issue here is that there isn't a great deal of lithium available, and that we would run out before this could occur. And so we would still require centralised power generation over each dwelling making their own, which would be best in a perfect world.

As with all power generation the distance the power has to travel has an effect. So the idea of filling the middle of Australia with 30% efficient solar panels doesn't work either.
    Go jetties

Two good articles I've read whilst entering the rabbit hole.
    Good for people like me who don't have a dog in the race so to speak.

First: The 7 most intriguing philosophical arguments for the existence of a God.
    http://io9.com/the-7-most-intriguing...e-e-1507393670

Second:Old testament God was a pretty shitty person
    http://io9.com/gods-12-biggest-dick-...ium=socialflow
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

abbott launching a prayer breakfast ffs

watching a grown adult talk like this - even one as dumb as this **** is - is one of the most cringeworthy things i've ever seen.

way to lead a supposedly firdt world nation!
    we will loose

Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    abbott launching a prayer breakfast ffs

watching a grown adult talk like this - even one as dumb as this **** is - is one of the most cringeworthy things i've ever seen.

way to lead a supposedly firdt world nation!
    Surely you can't be shocked by a pollie grovelling to an influential set of community leaders?

Personally I'd tell em all to get farked but this stuff has been going on since the dawn of time.

(Also tax the farkern church FFS, that's the biggest scandal going on).

Also: no one will ever, ever, ever get close to Sarah Hanson Young as the biggest hypocrite pollie in town.

It's not even close.

She is the ****ing worst.

Surely you can't be shocked by a pollie grovelling to an influential set of community leaders?

Personally I'd tell em all to get farked but this stuff has been going on since the dawn of time.

(Also tax the farkern church FFS, that's the biggest scandal going on).
    Churches are (generally. ) not for profit organisations with many barely affording to pay their own pastors and they also support other individuals who help make the world a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by joel31 View Post
    Churches are (generally. ) not for profit organisations with many barely affording to pay their own pastors and they also support other individuals who help make the world a better place.
    Yep.
    Totally agree.
    They also have massive investment portfolios and (legally) circumvent taxes that apply to everyone else in the community.
    Plenty of everyday Aussies out there giving up their time and cash for people less fortunate but still pay their fair share to the state.

Churches are run by businesses these days and should obey the relevant laws.

Tax the bottom line like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by joel31 View Post
    ah come on bruv, don't move the goal posts.

the pentecostal/AOG megachurches are nothing more than rackets for fleecing rich idiots

the pastor of hillsong wrote this book ffs

it's not your small churches that help the childrens, oldies, and so on that need to be taxed/scrutinised per se, it's these leeches that take government funding while they turn over 50 million a year and aren't accountable for it. why isn't there a trickle down to the smaller orgs from the big boys? the hypocrisy is blinding and outrageous.

Banned
    Yep.
    Totally agree.
    They also have massive investment portfolios and (legally) circumvent taxes that apply to everyone else in the community.
    Plenty of everyday Aussies out there giving up their time and cash for people less fortunate but still pay their fair share to the state.

Churches are run by businesses these days and should obey the relevant laws.

Tax the bottom line like everyone else.
    As you said Plague they legally circumvent the laws as the laws are written in a way they can. They ain't doing anything wrong at all.

No different to the wealthy and elite dodging tax (Kerry Packer) not paying staff ( Hello Tinkler ) etc

Church only plays by the rules

Don't hate the player hate the game etc

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    ah come on bruv, don't move the goal posts.

the pentecostal/AOG megachurches are nothing more than rackets for fleecing rich idiots

the pastor of hillsong wrote this book ffs

it's not your small churches that help the childrens, oldies, and so on that need to be taxed/scrutinised per se, it's these leeches that take government funding while they turn over 50 million a year and aren't accountable for it. why isn't there a trickle down to the smaller orgs from the big boys? the hypocrisy is blinding and outrageous.
    Don't dispute the church should be spending more of its wealth on the less fortunate etc rather than stockpiling it

As you said Plague they legally circumvent the laws as the laws are written in a way they can. They ain't doing anything wrong at all.

No different to the wealthy and elite dodging tax (Kerry Packer) not paying staff ( Hello Tinkler ) etc

Church only plays by the rules

Don't hate the player hate the game etc
    Tinkler not paying his staff is against the law, and I would argue that your rich folk avoiding tax is ever so slightly different to the concessions the church is allowed.

But your point is correct.

Let's just hope the same people defending the church aren't bagging out Joe Hockey for playing by the rules as well.