Page 79 of 242 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 4840

Thread: The Politics/Religion/Conspiracies Deathmatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    I'm not trying to tell who's wrong who's right, we both know who's wrong anyway..... I'm only telling you why we are in the situation we are in..... There was 2 ways to go about it: The way it happened and there we are talking about it (and it's good) or my point is he could have gone the other way, ignore it and we wouldn't be talking about it now ( and to me it seems a better way to silence the idiots in a long run).... It will always be difficult to educate the idiots it's better to ignore them (and that might even be a way to start to educate them?)
    yeah.

and if only Rosa Parks sat her damn butt up the back of the bus like she was supposed to we wouldn't have all this icky civil rights crap to deal with.

gadamnit, next thing all the gays and women will be wanting stuff too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    it's better to ignore them

In the afl they've been ignoring it for at least 20years.

Nelson Mandela should have just sat in that prison and ignored it all too....

Ignoring this kind of shit only teaches the uneducated that their behavior is acceptable.
    Last edited by GazFish35; 31-07-2015 at 07:00 AM.

Sticks and stones I reckon...

When I was a kid at school back in the dark ages we had a lunchtime "sockah" comp with teams based on our heritage. Those teams were Italy, Greece, Yugoslavia, Australia and Indigenous. We didn't call them that - it was Wogs, Spicks, Yugos, Aussies and Abbos, names agreeable with all. The insults during those games would get you hauled before a court these days but not one soul ever took offence. I was once called a "fat gorilla" - what is the difference between that and being called an "ape"?

I agree we need to be tolerant but we are going too far to the other side......guys like Laurie Cunningham, Clyde Best, Paul Cannoville and Cyrill Regis went through far more hell than Goodes, just for being black. Nicer guys you could not meet. Now that indigenous footballers around the nation are coming up with "solidarity" gestures the divide is widening, not closing. I would not boo him but I do not like Goodes or agree with what he is doing - for some reason that makes me a "racist", which I know I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    I agree we need to be tolerant but we are going too far to the other side......guys like Laurie Cunningham, Clyde Best, Paul Cannoville and Cyrill Regis went through far more hell than Goodes, just for being black.
    perhaps Goodes recognises the hell those guys went through, is grateful for them doing that and wants to make sure that the next generation don't go through the hell that he had to go through, lesser though it is than of previous generations.

and as for making you a racist, well that would all depend on the reasons for your dislike. why do you not like him? what about him do you dislike? why do you disagree with what he is doing? and what do you think he is actually doing? I've not really had anybody explain to me yet what they have a problem with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Sticks and stones I reckon...

When I was a kid at school back in the dark ages we had a lunchtime "sockah" comp with teams based on our heritage. Those teams were Italy, Greece, Yugoslavia, Australia and Indigenous. We didn't call them that - it was Wogs, Spicks, Yugos, Aussies and Abbos, names agreeable with all. The insults during those games would get you hauled before a court these days but not one soul ever took offence. I was once called a "fat gorilla" - what is the difference between that and being called an "ape"?

I agree we need to be tolerant but we are going too far to the other side......guys like Laurie Cunningham, Clyde Best, Paul Cannoville and Cyrill Regis went through far more hell than Goodes, just for being black. Nicer guys you could not meet. Now that indigenous footballers around the nation are coming up with "solidarity" gestures the divide is widening, not closing. I would not boo him but I do not like Goodes or agree with what he is doing - for some reason that makes me a "racist", which I know I am not.
    i understand this comparison - when you're all on the schoolyard together, for the most part everyone is equal. the shit flows around and no-one takes offence - but are you a wog, spick or an abo?

when you're off the yard - it's back to a completely different power dynamic. the wogs, the spicks and the abos for the most part are discriminated against compared to those who are in the dominant group.

those dealing out the epithets don't really get to decide what is racist and what isn't - it's the person on the receiving end of it.

i agree with you that you aren't a racist, and to paint everyone who's ever booed goodes as one is part of the problem here.

when you call people things, they don't like it - no-one likes being called a racist, especially if they aren't. quite similar to what goodes is going through now. he's not an ape, he's not a monkey - he's a bloke. just like you taking offence at being called racist, he has a right to take offence to being called an ape.

anyway not trying to give a lecture to you, everyone is their own person, and like you said - you can't just chuck people into the racist/non-racist buckets based on one situation - just throwing around ideas.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    So those that choose to boo him because they think he is a complete prat who publically humiliated a 13 year old kid who said an offensive term to him are racist now??

The same term he has most likely heard plenty of times in the past and done nothing about.

From what I see he picked a pretty soft target there to make his stand against.

He chose to publically humilate a child to push an agenda when he could have dealt with her and the matter with a little more class.
    deary me
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

also re: sticks and stones...

this was collingwood's response to michael long calling out the fact monkhorst called him a black c*nt

unbelievable ay, this was 1995

bit from Barrie Cassidy's latest piece for the drum. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-3...goodes/6660554

The Adam Goodes matter is more disturbing because so many people don't get it; so many people insist it is the responsibility of Goodes and the Indigenous footballers to fix.

There is so much ignorance, intolerance and even blatant racism in the debate around whether it is OK to randomly boo Goodes every time he touches the football.

But let's take the short cut to most of that by detailing the rantings of former A League goalkeeper, Griffin McMaster, who created a Twitter storm when he suggested that because Goodes called Australia Day, Invasion Day, he should be deported.

It's not clear precisely where he should be deported to, but we'll carry on.

McMaster now works in the media and has contributed to the football magazine, FourFourTwo. Its editor, Kevin Airs, demanded McMaster remove any reference to the magazine from his biography.

This is how the Twitter conversation went after that.
    McMaster: "No problems Kevin."
    Airs: "That is an incredibly stupid and ignorant tweet Griffin. I'm disappointed anyone in football would think like that."
    McMaster: "Disrespect his country and you cop it. I'm not happy with the way he's going about things."
    Airs: "His family have been here 40,000 years. If you don't like it, you leave. He's not dissing his country. He's proud of it."
    McMaster: "Australian government bend over for indigenous. Free interest loans, free uni degrees. Even said sorry and he's still going on."
    Airs: "He's not 'going on'. He's playing AFL and celebrating when he scores."
    McMaster: "He doesn't celebrate Australia Day. Un-Australian ... that's why I'm not happy."
    When you boo, remember that's the calibre of those who join you.

Let's hope Goodes has the courage for one more statement. Play again, if only once. To walk away now would leave this issue unresolved, forever staining the game.

An orchestrated roar of support the next time Goodes touches the ball - from thousands of supporters opposed to the Swans - will start to right this appalling episode.

If that doesn't happen, he will leave the game a shattered man. And thousands might leave with him.
    well said.

He knew sfa when it came to economics but when it comes to beating down John Howard nobody does it better.

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    also re: sticks and stones...

this was collingwood's response to michael long calling out the fact monkhorst called him a black c*nt

unbelievable ay, this was 1995
    is that supposed to be a dummy? unbeleivable.....

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    i understand this comparison - when you're all on the schoolyard together, for the most part everyone is equal. the shit flows around and no-one takes offence - but are you a wog, spick or an abo?

when you're off the yard - it's back to a completely different power dynamic. the wogs, the spicks and the abos for the most part are discriminated against compared to those who are in the dominant group.

those dealing out the epithets don't really get to decide what is racist and what isn't - it's the person on the receiving end of it.

i agree with you that you aren't a racist, and to paint everyone who's ever booed goodes as one is part of the problem here.

when you call people things, they don't like it - no-one likes being called a racist, especially if they aren't. quite similar to what goodes is going through now. he's not an ape, he's not a monkey - he's a bloke. just like you taking offence at being called racist, he has a right to take offence to being called an ape.

anyway not trying to give a lecture to you, everyone is their own person, and like you said - you can't just chuck people into the racist/non-racist buckets based on one situation - just throwing around ideas.
    Serious thought if this was printed on the ISIS flag and tattooed on everyone's shoulder where thier Southern Cross ink is the world would be a much better place,

Genuinely curious:
    How do we know the boo's from the crowd are actually racist? ( i feel we will have a better idea after this round)
    Like fair enough, he's had some incidents that revolve around race, but there's also an argument going around that it's due to his playing style e.g. AFL's equivalent of diving for free kicks/being soft/in the refs ear.
    (Don't get me wrong, i'm against the boo's if in fact they are due to him standing up for his race/heritage/ancestors/fellow indigenous, but if they are purely directed at him and his football antics, fair game). I know there's probably some people boo-ing him for the former, and some booing for the latter, but part of the problem is that he is labelling them all as one. So if you are booing him as he's one of the swans best players/dives/gets free kicks, and Goodes comes out and says the boos are racist. Then this becomes a grey area. It's like Hutcho coming out and saying he's sad that people boo him, and then says they are booing because he's maltese. Or Sterling blaming the boo's he received in Melbourne on race. It is an important issue, and he's not the first player to react.
    Balotelli, Frimpong (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdTRAh0XDJw) and numerous other footballers have reacted to racist slurs/chant/actions and have consequently been boo-ed and jeered as a result.

We will see what happens this weekend with Goodes (if he plays). After the AFL, AFL Captains and all the media, other sports have urged fans not to boo him as he believes it is racist and he is being affected by this, it will be interesting to see the reaction he gets.
    Do these statements therefore make those that boo a racist for consciously booing (which is now associated with racist stigma)?
    Either way, i think it would be really nice to see some universal cheers/applause when he gets the ball. I think that would seriously be the best move for all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Genuinely curious:
    How do we know the boo's from the crowd are actually racist? ( i feel we will have a better idea after this round)
    Like fair enough, he's had some incidents that revolve around race, but there's also an argument going around that it's due to his playing style e.g. AFL's equivalent of diving for free kicks/being soft/in the refs ear.
    (Don't get me wrong, i'm against the boo's if in fact they are due to him standing up for his race/heritage/ancestors/fellow indigenous, but if they are purely directed at him and his football antics, fair game). I know there's probably some people boo-ing him for the former, and some booing for the latter, but part of the problem is that he is labelling them all as one. So if you are booing him as he's one of the swans best players/dives/gets free kicks, and Goodes comes out and says the boos are racist. Then this becomes a grey area. It's like Hutcho coming out and saying he's sad that people boo him, and then says they are booing because he's maltese. Or Sterling blaming the boo's he received in Melbourne on race. It is an important issue, and he's not the first player to react.
    Balotelli, Frimpong (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdTRAh0XDJw) and numerous other footballers have reacted to racist slurs/chant/actions and have consequently been boo-ed and jeered as a result.

We will see what happens this weekend with Goodes (if he plays). After the AFL, AFL Captains and all the media, other sports have urged fans not to boo him as he believes it is racist and he is being affected by this, it will be interesting to see the reaction he gets.
    Do these statements therefore make those that boo a racist for consciously booing (which is now associated with racist stigma)?
    Either way, i think it would be really nice to see some universal cheers/applause when he gets the ball. I think that would seriously be the best move for all involved.
    The majority (I hope) are not booing because he is aboriginal and he has climbed out of his box. I think most are just joining in the "mob mentality", what is scary about this though is there is obviously a critical mass of racist fans who are large enough to get enough of the crowd to do it too that this becomes an issue.

Those booing just because it's what fans now do to Adam are now providing a smoke screen for the racists, protection almost for them.
    Go jetties

So those that choose to boo him because they think he is a complete prat who publically humiliated a 13 year old kid who said an offensive term to him are racist now??

The same term he has most likely heard plenty of times in the past and done nothing about.

From what I see he picked a pretty soft target there to make his stand against.

He chose to publically humilate a child to push an agenda when he could have dealt with her and the matter with a little more class.
    Check out the link Gaz posted a couple of posts up. Then check out the video clip of Waleed Aly on the The Project who went through the whole situation with the 13 yr old girl.

Then realize you are completely and utterly wrong.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Ross Lyon the grub and his stupid generalist comments that arent needed to further stir the pot. Weve all booed someone more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Check out the link Gaz posted a couple of posts up. Then check out the video clip of Waleed Aly on the The Project who went through the whole situation with the 13 yr old girl.

It's been well-documented in the past few days on social media, in blogs, newspaper articles that after the ape calling incident with the 13 year old girl that the girl apologised to him and also wrote a letter to him, he did not wish to press charges and made it clear it was not her fault and that he explained to her why it is offensive to him to be called an ape. The situation was dealt with admirably by Goodes and should never have re-surfaced.

Those saying there is nothing wrong with getting booed at constantly game after game, or being called an ape, a gorilla or a black c*&^t are basically talking shit and should just once think what it would be like to be in this man's shoes. Growing up and having to put up with racist jibes and now as an Australian of the Year and someone who has taken a stand so that others might not have to put up with the same rubbish, he has now been hounded practically out of the game by a seething, uneducated mob who don't like what he stands for and want him to shut up and be a good little abbo.

The reaction yesterday in Sydney though was very encouraging and shows that maybe the tide could be turning, that enough is enough. Goodes is a good, decent man, he has not assaulted anyone, or raped a woman, done drugs, been caught DUI like a lot of AFL or NRL players who have but are seemingly quickly forgiven and everyone gets on with life. He does not deserve to be targeted and humiliated at every away match like he is some arsehole.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Genuinely curious:

Some interesting points but I have read somewhere that it is a myth about him "milking penalties", that for someone who is supposedly good at doing it he has actually received a very low amount of penalties from referees over the years. You see the mob mentality will make up anything to justify their actions for singling out a player, some say it is because of the 13 year old girl, others his outspokenness but why hound the guy for the whole game???
    The comparison with Hutch is like chalk and cheese, yes Jets supporters gave him a hard time over the years but I don't think other supporters dished it out to him. I think he actually enjoyed the attention but I don't think I ever heard someone yell "go back home ya wog".....in reference to his Maltese heritage. Goodes just last week was told "go back to the zoo", big difference being booed or heckled and then a racist slur being aimed at you.
    There is no comparison in Australian sport history what Goodes has endured throughout this season so please stop trying to make comparisons or say there are grey areas because it is pretty well "black and white"....pardon the pun!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post

What makes you think I wish to listen to a word from that hypocritical beyond reproach leftist stooge??

That bloke has nothing to say that isn't propaganda for a cause

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    but I don't think I ever heard someone yell "go back home ya wog".....in reference to his Maltese heritage.
    For sure Labi would have
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.