Page 81 of 242 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 4840

Thread: The Politics/Religion/Conspiracies Deathmatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I don't have a problem with Bronwyn Bishop spending 5k on a helicopter ride.

The spending adds to aggregate demand and via a multiplier effect incomes increase.

What I do have a problem with is Bronwyn Bishop preaching about the importance of reduced spending here and there - without even the most basic understanding of the economics behind her ideological ramblings.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    No one is forcing anyone to fork over $1/2 million for a one bedder in Iso. You want to snap up cheap real estate, do your homework, change your expectations. Whinging ain't gonna lower those prices.
    all well and good if you live in newy - wanna house in sydney where your job requires you to be? fcken forget it pal, 500k won't even get you a car-space an hour's commute away.

bet you live in a mansion like hawk as well ay

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    all well and good if you live in newy - wanna house in sydney where your job requires you to be? fcken forget it pal, 500k won't even get you a car-space an hour's commute away.

Bloody hawk.. Always flaunting his wad..

I was at Castle Hill until the mid 80's. It's a long way from town but even in 1984 - $250k didn't get you a mansion. To put it in perspective if you were bringing home $600 a week in 1984 you were doing pretty well.

It's going to be interesting for nurses, teachers, social workers... and so on in the future. Where will they live ? They won't be able to live close to the city unless they marry well ? They will also be burdened my massive education debts ... and so on.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 04-08-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Bloody hawk.. Always flaunting his wad..
    Inventing Microsoft Windows was no small feat though. Money well deserved.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-0...alks_FBP%7Cabc

Prime Minister Tony Abbott is facing further criticism after rejecting the idea of Indigenous-led talks on constitutional recognition.

Several Aboriginal leaders want an Indigenous consensus on reform, before wider community consultations take place.

Indigenous leaders Patrick Dodson, Noel Pearson, Kirstie Parker and Megan Davis created a proposal for a series of conventions to allow Indigenous people to have their say first.

But Mr Abbott said there was a "risk" an Indigenous-only process might produce something close to a "log of claims".

"My anxiety about a separate Indigenous process is that it jars with a notion of finally substituting 'we' for 'them and us'," Mr Abbott wrote to the group.

"I am in favour of building consensus, but strongly believe this should be a national consensus in favour of a particular form of recognition rather than simply an Indigenous one.

"The risk with an Indigenous-only — or even an Indigenous-first — process is that it might produce something akin to a log of claims that is unlikely to receive general support.

"I accept these community conferences need to take place in a way that give Indigenous people ample opportunity to have their say."

Ms Parker, the co-chair of the National Congress of Australia's First Peoples, said she was dismayed by Mr Abbott's comments.

What do you think? Should the Government adopt the proposal or is there too much 'risk'? Have your say.
    "The Prime Minister's talked about a more general process that we don't think is satisfactory, will make it difficult if not impossible for our people to arrive at some sort of broad position in any direction," Ms Parker said.

"What [Indigenous-only consultation] hopefully will lead to is an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander broad position.

"We are not giving up on the request that we've made to Government on this."

Ms Parker disagreed the proposal might lead to something like a "log of claims".

Prime Minister Tony Abbott talks to the media at a doorstop press conference after after addressing guests in Adelaide
    PHOTO Prime Minister Tony Abbott said there was a "risk" an Indigenous-only process might produce something close to a "log of claims".

AAP IMAGE: BEN MACMAHON
    "It's unfortunate to see it couched in that way because it really is ensuring that the people this referendum is about have a say in the sort of matters that are taken up in it," she said.

Indigenous leaders at the Garma Festival in East Arnhem Land yesterday expressed disappointment Mr Abbott did not accept the plan.

The ABC last night sought comment from Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion and the co-chair of the constitutional recognition parliamentary committee, Liberal MP Ken Wyatt.

Opposition Indigenous affairs spokesman Shayne Neumann tweeted: "How deeply disappointing the PM has not accepted the proposal of respected Indigenous leaders."

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said the proposal needed to be considered.

"We need to remain flexible on how we achieve constitutional recognition," he said.

"Part of that is ensuring Indigenous Australians have their views genuinely heard.

"I encourage Mr Abbott to keep an open mind about this proposal."
    What's Abbott scared of?
    Why can't the the leaders of the longest continuous culture be afforded the respect of being allowed to lead discussions on how they are recognized by the constitution.

What message does it send when what Abbott really wants is to dictate terms.... "Well recognize you, but only in the way we see fit"

Geezus **** I wish this country would grow up, leadership of our nation is embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-0...alks_FBP%7Cabc

What's Abbott scared of?
    Why can't the the leaders of the longest continuous culture be afforded the respect of being allowed to lead discussions on how they are recognized by the constitution.

What message does it send when what Abbott really wants is to dictate terms.... "Well recognize you, but only in the way we see fit"

Geezus **** I wish this country would grow up, leadership of our nation is embarrassing.
    The very existence of the Aboriginal people kicks seven shades of shit out of his religous beliefs.

What's Abbott scared of?

So we want to promote togetherness by first isolating ourselves?

Looks like a bigger issue of distrust on both sides.

Besides, I thought the 'sorry' ceremony solved all this nasty division stuff?

Don't tell me I've been lied to all these years.

The very existence of the Aboriginal people kicks seven shades of shit out of his religous beliefs.
    Hahahahaha.

Very good sir.

Oh I agree, but there are other ways around it, and they generally involve huge sacrifices in order to get the end result you are after.

I certainly don't live where I want to ultimately be, but for now I'm within my means and working towards something.

I don't know anyone that has it 100% thier way (apart from Hawk it seems) so we all gotta make decisions.

I just hate the notion that people are out there blaming the Gubmint because they can't get what they want.

i blame boomer scum, need another vietnam to sort them out

Easier still.
    Pick where you want to live.
    Submit plans to council to build a mosque.
    Watch values fall as everyone gets in a tizz.
    Put in your offer.

Oh I agree, but there are other ways around it, and they generally involve huge sacrifices in order to get the end result you are after.

I certainly don't live where I want to ultimately be, but for now I'm within my means and working towards something.

I don't know anyone that has it 100% thier way (apart from Hawk it seems) so we all gotta make decisions.

I just hate the notion that people are out there blaming the Gubmint because they can't get what they want.
    The data suggests otherwise. Many people through no fault of their own cannot find jobs, or are working for wages well below what they are legally entitled to. There are also many business owners who are legally forced to pay more than they can afford or are servicing contracts for values which barely meet their costs of production.

Productivity gains over the past 40 years have essentially gone to the capitalist classes rather than the workers [ You can put most small business owners in with workers].
    This means that while wages have grown they have not grown as fast as output.
    When you look at the lower end of the wages spectrum they are not keeping pace.
    The consequence is that wages incomes are insufficient to buy the goods and services available for sale.
    Therefore, without resorting to credit - inventories will build up, production will wind back.. and unemployment results.
    The role of government traditionally has been to fill the spending gap via fiscal policy.
    This tradition was broken by the banking sector who lobbied governments to engage in what is called fiscal consolidation.
    Fiscal consolidation is good for banks as it forces people to use credit.
    Another issue is the banking sector have also effectively lobbied to keep the return on deposits lower than the returns on their banks shares.
    This means lower interest rates tempt people to invest in bank shares rather than merely deposit the money into an account.
    Bank share prices increase.... and......so on.

This is the problem. Government do a hell of a lot for the top end of town and sfa for small business and workers.

I live well below my means but many are not so lucky.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 04-08-2015 at 03:48 PM.

So we want to promote togetherness by first isolating ourselves?

Looks like a bigger issue of distrust on both sides.

Besides, I thought the 'sorry' ceremony solved all this nasty division stuff?

Don't tell me I've been lied to all these years.
    Indigenous leaders want to lead the discussion.
    Abbott is the one using "indigenous-only" discussions.

And who out of the two groups might be most likely to not trust the other?

Hey m8 what did Andrew Gaze ever do to you
    OK

And who out of the two groups might be most likely to not trust the other?
    Dunno.
    And nor do you.
    But it's always easy to blame Tony Abbott for everything that's going on in the world innit?

Geez, I even read today that he hasn't 'done enough' in the Adam Goodes saga.

FMD the bloke is a pickle at times but once you get that rep you ain't ever shaking it huh?

The data suggests otherwise. Many people through no fault of their own cannot find jobs, or are working for wages well below what they are legally entitled to. There are also many business owners who are legally forced to pay more than they can afford or are servicing contracts for values which barely meet their costs of production.

Productivity gains over the past 40 years have essentially gone to the capitalist classes rather than the workers [ You can put most small business owners in with workers].
    This means that while wages have grown they have not grown as fast as output.
    When you look at the lower end of the wages spectrum they are not keeping pace.
    The consequence is that wages incomes are insufficient to buy the goods and services available for sale.
    Therefore, without resorting to credit - inventories will build up, production will wind back.. and unemployment results.
    The role of government traditionally has been to fill the spending gap via fiscal policy.
    This tradition was broken by the banking sector who lobbied governments to engage in what is called fiscal consolidation.
    Fiscal consolidation is good for banks as it forces people to use credit.
    Another issue is the banking sector have also effectively lobbied to keep the return on deposits lower than the returns on their banks shares.
    This means lower interest rates tempt people to invest in bank shares rather than merely deposit the money into an account.
    Bank share prices increase.... and......so on.

This is the problem. Government do a hell of a lot for the top end of town and sfa for small business and workers.

I live well below my means but many are not so lucky.
    Everything you said could be 100% true but I will never alter my belief that the human endeavour and desire to succeed and achieve will get anyone anything they want if they really want it.

People can blame everyone and every thing for the woes in their life and forever stay in their lane.

Others don't see it that way and have done something about it.

whichever way people want it I'm cool with. I just won't have people crying about it.

Also you might want to consider that all sides of politics are sporting the change to the referendum.

Painting it as Abbott disagrees is a bit cheeky.

Not much attention was paid to the quote regarding a general consensus giving the changes the best chance of being passed by the general public (who will have final say).

Go back and look at why the referendum on the Republic failed despite everyone kinda sorta wanting it to happen.

Maybe people learned some lessons from that.

Everything you said could be 100% true but I will never alter my belief that the human endeavour and desire to succeed and achieve will get anyone anything they want if they really want it.

People can blame everyone and every thing for the woes in their life and forever stay in their lane.

Others don't see it that way and have done something about it.

whichever way people want it I'm cool with. I just won't have people crying about it.
    The barriers for many are a lot greater than you imagine. To imply they are not trying hard enough only demonstrates a lack of understanding on your part.
    People can apply for several thousand jobs that they are more than capable of being able to do and not get a single job offer.
    Others can apply for jobs they are not capable or qualified to do and be offered the job on the spot.

I've had students that were dumb as a box of rocks walk into jobs in the finance sector earning well into six figures and yet seen other students far more capable not even be offered interviews for lesser positions. Didn't go to the right school, wrong address, tits too small, ass too big / small, not confident enough, didn't smile enough, too quiet, not the right cultural fit... the list goes on.

There comes a point where everyone exhausts their options and simply gives in - and for many people several thousand rejections for employment is not uncommon.

I'd be willing to bet you would have given up long before many others had you been forced to walk in their shoes.

I'm glad you haven't reached this point but many people have and for them you should probably show some empathy.

The most important factor too success often comes down to good old fashion luck.

The richest man to have ever lived would never have become so were it not for a civil war breaking out between the north and the south. His little tobacco selling business boomed as the demand for the product by soldiers escalated. Once the confict subsided he had plenty of money and decided to buy into this new venture where oil was extracted from the ground......
    the rest is history.

Were it not for the civil war, and the discovery of oil, and the stupidity of the US government introducing the Sherman ACT - JD Rockefeller would not have become the first billionaire in history.
    Note: selling out his own brother certainly helped get him there as well.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 04-08-2015 at 05:33 PM.

Also you might want to consider that all sides of politics are sporting the change to the referendum.

Painting it as Abbott disagrees is a bit cheeky.

Not much attention was paid to the quote regarding a general consensus giving the changes the best chance of being passed by the general public (who will have final say).

Go back and look at why the referendum on the Republic failed despite everyone kinda sorta wanting it to happen.

Maybe people learned some lessons from that.

Who's painting it that abbots doesn't agree with the referendum?

Indigenous leaders want to lead the discussion to come to conseus before the poll.

Abbott has said he doesn't want it to run that way and uses emotive language to paint the idea of indigenous leadership being given the opportunity to lead this important discussion as one that will lead to trouble.

Happy to take "Abbott" out of this whole discussion and my point still stands leadership in this country on important issues such as the treatment of our indigenous peoples is an embarrassment to this nation. KRudd's (sorry to name names) apology on behalf of the parliament and people excluded.
    Last edited by GazFish35; 04-08-2015 at 05:52 PM.