Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Matildas

CHAMPIONS!!!!!
    nothing more you can say!

and to think the Van Egmond family now has the Singapore Sixes and Intertoto Super Best Friends Cup trophies on their mantlpiece is pretty amazing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-1...player/8818736

onya Sammy. don't go being tempted by the AFLW now.

Interesting that she's the all time leading goal scorer in the US league. Have some of the US stars not played there for much of their career, or was the league rebranded and the stats are only relatively new?

16,000 at Penrith, was an entertaining match too.
    How many going to Newcastle match? I got a ticket but think I'll be away for work.

I'll be there
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

you know the really big question that keeps popping into my mind: what are we doing right with the women that we aren't doing with the men? why are they so much better skill-wise than our blokes at the same level? particulary the strikers!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    you know the really big question that keeps popping into my mind: what are we doing right with the women that we aren't doing with the men? why are they so much better skill-wise than our blokes at the same level? particulary the strikers!
    Umm

You aware at the vast gulf in quality between men's and women's game??

For a start the speed at which the men play the women don't match or even get close to

The pool of talent in men's to women's football is significantly deeper as well for a start

Having the Socceroos make the last 16 of a WC is an achievement based on the rivals strengths

Haveing the women do the same isn't exactly an achievement considering how weak the talent pool is across the planet in women's football

whilst we can argue on the relative strength of the mens vs womens teams, a better question may be why our womens team has improved significantly in terms of world ranking etc as opposed to the men.

granted it doesnt 'seem' that we've played a wide variety of opposition in this current form run (yanks, Japan and Brazil) but seeing as they are the top of the tree it counts for something right?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    whilst we can argue on the relative strength of the mens vs womens teams, a better question may be why our womens team has improved significantly in terms of world ranking etc as opposed to the men.

granted it doesnt 'seem' that we've played a wide variety of opposition in this current form run (yanks, Japan and Brazil) but seeing as they are the top of the tree it counts for something right?
    We have some very good athletes in the Matildas who also happen to have technical skill.

The Socceroos don't really have anyone even remotely athletic and as far as technical skill goes any of that which exists is on very tired legs.

The Matildas have a few players that simply destroy opposition defenders with speed and agility - something the Socceroos don't have.

The sad news is that you cannot train someone to be fast - it's pretty much genetic.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 17-09-2017 at 10:23 PM.

I think a decent amount of it is just that we're not as far behind the curve in women's football. We've jumped onto it pretty early on and while a lot of the development and improvements in the women's game are still organic, we will compete quite well because our women have decent support (relative to other women's teams). And young girls have been playing sport in Australia for a fair while now. Compare the ability of young women in Australia to play soccer compared to those in South America, Asia and Africa and likely a fair few countries in Europe too.

If the women's game continues to gain popularity worldwide, and it starts to resemble the men's game in league structure etc I think we will fall back to obscurity again unless the game here (mens included) takes some big strides forward. I'm looking at a time frame of 10-20 years here.

Is it true they renamed the family hill the LGBT hill tonight or is my friend just ****ing with me?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think a decent amount of it is just that we're not as far behind the curve in women's football. We've jumped onto it pretty early on and while a lot of the development and improvements in the women's game are still organic, we will compete quite well because our women have decent support (relative to other women's teams). And young girls have been playing sport in Australia for a fair while now. Compare the ability of young women in Australia to play soccer compared to those in South America, Asia and Africa and likely a fair few countries in Europe too.

If the women's game continues to gain popularity worldwide, and it starts to resemble the men's game in league structure etc I think we will fall back to obscurity again unless the game here (mens included) takes some big strides forward. I'm looking at a time frame of 10-20 years here.
    Didn't they just get rolled 7-0 at u 17 level by North Korea last week??

Didn't they also get rolled 5-0 by the Japs a few days before this??

The curve isn't that great if you can be this bad and close to the best

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post

comparing our mens and womens teams is retarded. So many variables. just sit down and watch the sh1t

Top night out at the football.

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Top night out at the football.
    Was it a pen? Couldnt quite tell on tv
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

all people associated with the Plague family were very happy with the nights entertainment.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

i was impressed with Kennedy at the back there she was very composed and good on the ball except the two times she fell on here ass and almost cost us goals.

Sam Kerr is a proper star. good on her, sport needs more people like her.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    I was impressed by two things

The goalkeeping for the first Australian goal
    How ****ing incompetent to be beaten by a header from that range

The finishing for the second Aussie goal
    By that I don't mean the actual final touch but the what can only be described as utter incompetence before hand that will technically go down as an assist

Watching those highlights made me really look forward to the upcoming 27 weeks of lulz with the Jets