Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Matildas

That was terrific night of football. The number of kids in the crowd, girls in particular, watching that will go to school today or home tonight and start kicking a ball.

There's a message to the FFA about bringing international football to Newcastle - the fans will show up!

I thought the game was terrific. Gorry in particular impressed me. Polkinghorne was non-nonsense and the crunch on halfway int he 2nd half where she got the yelllow was terrific. Sitting with GazFish last night we both agreed that one of the most impressive aspects was how both teams in general got straight back up after a challenge. None of the handbags the men generally carry on with.

I was impressed with the speed and skill of both sides. The Matilda's press was relentless.

Biggest LOLs was Brazil's 17 pushing Emily van Egmond in the back, who turned around and stood a good foot higher than her
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    There's a message to the FFA about bringing international football to Newcastle - the fans will show up!
    The Asian Cup did that.
    Don't expect anything from the FFA other than U/20s WCQ or at best an Asian Cup qualifier against Taiwan or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    The Asian Cup did that.
    Don't expect anything from the FFA other than U/20s WCQ or at best an Asian Cup qualifier against Taiwan or something.
    All we can do is keep showing up.

Wouldn't Newcastle mind being the Matilda's home base. (Quote: GazFish)
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Gotta say, credit where it's due, great job by the Gypo CEO last night with all the cross promotion with the Jets.

I couldn't walk around a corner without being reminded our season starts soon with all the promotional material on display. And the players being available for autographs and mingling amongst the fans was awesome.

It was great to see and I'm proud our club took the opportunity to present itself in the best possible light on such a big stage.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Sitting with GazFish last night we both agreed that one of the most impressive aspects was how both teams in general got straight back up after a challenge. None of the handbags the men generally carry on with.
    I've noticed the same at a few Jets W games too. They only stay down when they really cop one.. the ref also seems to let more go, although sometimes it's hard to tell which team should get the FK lol

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    I've noticed the same at a few Jets W games too. They only stay down when they really cop one.. the ref also seems to let more go, although sometimes it's hard to tell which team should get the FK lol
    I see this line of commenting a lot and while in general I'd agree, I didn't think that was on show last night. Mainly from the Brazillians. They were going down quite a lot, some were milking injuries and some were not dives as such but lets say they were happy to receive free kicks.

I didn't think the ref was letting a lot go at all, there were a few pretty solid tackles that were called play on but a LOT of push and shove that was pretty tame and I would be happy to see as part of the game that was pulled up almost every time. I also thought the ref got quite a few decisions wrong, and probably should have stood up for the Western side liney a bit better. The Brazil captain had a full on go at her twice I think [I should note I'm pretty sure both times her complaints were baseless as from my view the liney made the correct call], really should have been a yellow the first time.

All in all the Brazil women showed pretty poor respect for the officials and I'm told they declined handshakes at the end as well. Perhaps not enjoying a tour where they don't get to trounce local opposition..?

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    All in all the Brazil women showed pretty poor respect for the officials and I'm told they declined handshakes at the end as well. Perhaps not enjoying a tour where they don't get to trounce local opposition..?
    I can understand the Brazilian team not shaking hands. Not difficult imagining the reception the Brazilians will receive when they return home without a win playing against Australia.

I'm still pissed off they didn't strip down to their lingerie and have a pillow fight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    You do realise the reason the men go down and carry on is to try and con the ref??

Being that their games have a huge deal of importance / money/ status etc involved

Doing whatever it takes to win is where it is at

Good night out. My son commented when we were leaving it has been a long long time since you could walk out of the stadium pleased with both the result and the entertaining football played. Great crowd in attendance and the girls deserved all the plaudits that have came their way.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    You do realise the reason the men go down and carry on is to try and con the ref??

Being that their games have a huge deal of importance / money/ status etc involved

Doing whatever it takes to win is where it is at
    feel good crowd doesnt care

anything but a world cup win would be a disappointment now

Can see FFA sitting in offices thinking "wow there is money in this".

Goodbye Matildas - fun while it lasted.

next two games at AAMI in Melbourne and Simonds in Geelong against China in late november.

Matildas

Couldn’t find another suitable thread. So the commentators were expecting last nights game to be close and the Chinese to put up a good fight. We steamrolled them and that’s being kind. Kerr’s second was a belter (although the amount of time she had to let the ball run across her was criminal).

After winning whatever that tournament was, followed by their 2 wins over Brazil and then the dominant display last night, they seem to be building nicely for the next WC (2019?).

Agree. nThey're doing all the right things off the field too - signing autographs and the like.

Certainly acting as terrific role models for the sport and inspiring the next generation of footballers for the W-League

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    go sign this petition to have Sam Kerr be the new face of Weet-Box after Steve Smith is ****ed off

https://www.change.org/p/sanitarium-...share_petition

I dont hate anyone in this world but gee if I did the U.S National womens team would prob top the list.

They are just the worst kind of bully team both on and off the pitch.

They just seem so genuinely unlikable (but of course if you're american you're loving it).

Oh, except Alex Morgan. I like her.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    anyone get to watch the game this morning?

it was heartbreaking enough to follow live updates while pretending to work

Matildas don't get the recognition they deserve