Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 All Age and other general fat bastards thread

Anyone know when the semi finals venue lists get released ?
    Boz ????

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    I can confirm they were released yesterday, along with the times

the most interesting fixtures to note are that the grand finals for AA/F and AA/J are to be played at the same ground at the same time (different fields)

Saturday 8 September 12:30pm - Gregory Park - West Wallsend

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    I can confirm they were released yesterday, along with the times

the most interesting fixtures to note are that the grand finals for AA/F and AA/J are to be played at the same ground at the same time (different fields)

Saturday 8 September 12:30pm - Gregory Park - West Wallsend

Where can i find this info?
    its not on the newcastle football site.

it was sent to club email accounts

1233 Challenge Cup 2012
    New Lambton Starlings v Cooks Hill Purple Dragons
    Novocastrian Park

POSTPONED

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    Largs should be stripped of a team. Slight shower out that way and its the only ground to get canceled

Lake Macquarie AA/O had a good win over Azzurri yesterday, finishing 5-3 but that in no way reflected how we dominated the game. Were up 5-1 with a couple of minutes left when some brain-snaps cost 2 soft goals. No pressure now as we can't miss the semi's, anything we get from the next two games is just a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Lake Macquarie AA/O had a good win over Azzurri yesterday, finishing 5-3 but that in no way reflected how we dominated the game. Were up 5-1 with a couple of minutes left when some brain-snaps cost 2 soft goals. No pressure now as we can't miss the semi's, anything we get from the next two games is just a bonus.
    well done lads

Quote Originally Posted by RedMexican View Post
    well done lads
    I heard that Dudley forfeited against you guys before the game was called off, so the forfeit remains. Is that right? Hilarious if so!

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Jet View Post
    1233 Challenge Cup 2012
    New Lambton Starlings v Cooks Hill Purple Dragons
    Novocastrian Park

POSTPONED
    I remember playing for a cup with Cookers vs NAWA.

speaking of, who is NAWA? And what's their story?

I saw their strip and wondered who they were, couldn't figure out what their name was due to poor quality logos on sporting pulse

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    speaking of, who is NAWA? And what's their story?

I saw their strip and wondered who they were, couldn't figure out what their name was due to poor quality logos on sporting pulse
    Ahh, I know some of this. Newcastle And Wallsend Association, played out of federal pk. Started out with their own ground between maryland wallsend, cant quite pinpoint it. Had A few chilaen players amongst others. Had an Id's team for a while.

retrojet can give you more background on NAWA

basically Cooks Hill United formed from NAWA players many, many moons ago

Thanks guys. Was just curious whether it was something like Hunter Simba, or just a bunch of guys who wanted to start their own club for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    retrojet can give you more background on NAWA

basically Cooks Hill United formed from NAWA players many, many moons ago
    Didn't they have a team in ID's in the 90's? I know we played them in All Age back then.

Retrojet can certainly bore you with far more detail on NAWA than you're interested in

and yes Cooks Hill United were just a bunch of NAWA guys who wanted to start their own club for some reason, namely being sick of going to Wallsend

Heard my name was mentioned.....

I first joined NAWA - N'cle AND Wallsend Amatuur (Sports) in 1994 when they had ID3 teams.
    Quite a few of us were seconded from the Rowdies for that initial ID year.
    Glenn Murray (aka Haggis - RIP) was running the ID show and a Spanish bloke named Tom Pinella was the President.
    I was roped into being Secretary that year....had NO idea what I was in for accepting that. No regrets though
    Been doing Exec on committies ever since (NAWA then Cookers)
    Btw, I played with Pastor399's dad back then.
    The Red and Blue for NAWA comes from Barca's strip.
    Yellow is the alternate strip clolour/trim, from the Spanish flag (Red/Yellow)
    Yes sammydog, NAWA had AA teams along with the ID's.
    From memory, Bobby Catlin's bro Jim was coaching the last NAWA ID entity in 1998.
    They've had only AA teams and (then becoming) O35's from then on.

Cookers
    It's true, few of the NAWA town clowns didn't want to drive out to Wallsend anymore, but that wasn't the only reason for leaving.
    There was much frustration with the situation with Creek Rd or Bill Pott's Field, next to the Wallsend aerodrome there.
    No paper work was ever forthcoming from Wallsend Colliery, no info from Council and no clear indication of the club's status or future on that ground.

A meeting/BBQ was held at 48 Hobart Rd, New Lambton in Dec 1997 (hence the establishment date....I wasn't there btw)
    and Cooks Hill United was formed. The name Cooks Hill came later. Initally 'they' wanted to be called as a joke: Newcastle United and went out
    and bought the B&W strips, with the then N'cle Brown Ale Star colour adding the 3rd colour Blue to the trim. Wait for this...
    The Association said (quote) "No local teams are allowed to have the name Newcastle in their name, as it is reserved for State League or
    National Leage Clubs only." The rule must have 'changed' for one club it seems...anyway.

National Pk No.4 was secured in 1998 as a venue only 1 week before Sth N'cle League's club were about to pounce on it we found out by accident a few years later.
    Cooks Hill Utd was decided on as the name. The infamous Pucko, who left NAWA to play with the new Cooks Hill is the only person we know to have played
    with both clubs; the old Cookers (which his dad Richard Puxty formed...as well as KB Utd btw) and the new.
    We started with 3 x AA teams back then. E, H & J. I was Asst Secretary to both NAWA and Cookers that transition year of 1998.

The Sth American players came from Pastor399's dad's connections I believe.
    Years later, they were playing socially down at Creek Rd for a while there but play in Carrington on a Sunday now.
    A few of the faces I remember from NAWA play there; Camillo, Orlando......Pastor's dad inc. WP - What a legend!

That should bore a few of you.
    Last edited by Retro Jet; 13-08-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Great stuff Retro.
    And don't sell yourself short. In my years at Cookers I got to know you and saw probably about 5% of the work you (and others) put in and I was always amazed at why you bothered sometimes. Blokes who have a crack at the way teams/clubs are run need to walk a mile in Retro's shoes before unleashing.

Kind words plague. Thanks.
    It's a labour of love. Sometimes thought I get credit where it's not due.
    Boz and our President have done an amazing amount of work the last two years.
    It's truely a team effort running a club as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    I remember playing for a cup with Cookers vs NAWA.
    This yearly challenge is for the Haggis Trophy. It weights about 8kg's lol
    Played in memory of Glenn Murray for his association with coaching at both Clubs and
    celebrates the link between us.
    He coached our inaugural ID3's in 2000. We had 22 players registered for 2 grades
    Tough times but as you can see, the start of the ID journey was worth it.

And that reminds me, we still need to organise this game for 2012.
    Cooks Hill ?? v NAWA O35C's
    Some years it's a pre season game, some years post.

when reading NAWA i can't help but ignore the first A & think of this

OK