Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Joke that is the Emerging Jets Program

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    The problem I have is the middle class welfare aspect. Probably some great talent out there but their parents cant afford it.

You only need go look at some of the kids running around in inter-district to see plenty who would run rings around some of the supposed " elite " talent but for the lack of funds available to the bill payers, geographical location or a combination of both.

When my young bloke was playing in one of these so called elite things i would often wonder how many kids don't get a crack because they don't have the money or the means to travel to training if one of these are not nearby.

We were fortunate that i was earning a reasonable sum and we had the luxury of two vehicles and the costs and the running around was not an issue , there were plenty of very handy kids with a ball at there feet who were nowhere near as fortunate in there circumstances.

Just say'n.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    You only need go look at some of the kids running around in inter-district to see plenty who would run rings around some of the supposed " elite " talent but for the lack of funds available to the bill payers, geographical location or a combination of both.

When my young bloke was playing in one of these so called elite things i would often wonder how many kids don't get a crack because they don't have the money or the means to travel to training if one of these are not nearby.

We were fortunate that i was earning a reasonable sum and we had the luxury of two vehicles and the costs and the running around was not an issue , there were plenty of very handy kids with a ball at there feet who were nowhere near as fortunate in there circumstances.

Just say'n.
    Bang on about the financial aspect of it.

Then throw in the political bias with kids getting picked due to being in the right circles

Then add in the kids being overlooked as they don't fit the profile that these people think is ideal.Take Timmy Cahill he would never get a look in with these programs yet made a damn fine career out of the game

Then add in the kids who miss out as their parents can afford it but can see the thing is not functioning correctly and pull them out to play for an NPL club instead.

We are missing out on plenty of talent as the way it is run isn't geared to harnessing talent like the way it should be

just a question, is the problem that the EJ's don't have enough cash to pay a scout and rather are waiting for the prospective parents to stump up the cash for their young lionels? or is it that there's a fairly glaring hole in scouting from top to bottom by the local, state and national federations, that's probably been allowed to fester due to sokkah politics that has been going on for donkeys years?

i grew up playing hockey in newcastle, and even though there was perceived bias towards certain clubs from parties at times (i've been guilty about complaining about it in the past, for the most part wrongly i must admit), the clubs and selectors generally didn't miss much, the best kids were in the development squads and were given every opportunity to then go for higher representative honours and the like.

i don't know if it's changed now, but the general notion was that the best kids were left to play for their clubs through the season, and were for the most part spread across all the clubs (cyclical changes/family dynasties aside), and came together for a yearly state tournament where the best kids were picked for a state team, then went to nationals and into further hockey and so on. by keeping everyone playing for their clubs, rather than trying to concentrate all the talent into one side, the competition bred super competitive, hard-working and cohesive teams that played the game in a dynamic (and distinctly different) manner across clubs, rather than a bunch of precious angels enslaved to a curriculum.

i don't know too much about junior soccer pre-jets in newcastle, but there does seem to be an excessive focus on "elite squads" and "academies" and the like, rather than solid, week-in, week-out competition. is the competition just too fractured in junior soccer? i.e. ID's, elites or whatever else is the go?

forgive the rambling, hopefully said something of note

I will just go straight to the crux of my beef with the whole thing and answer the questions you posed Q in the last paragraph IMO of course.

The reason there is a focus on " elite squads " and " academies " is the moment you use those words the price goes from a lazy couple hundred dollars for an interdistrict rego give or take a few dollars to anything nearer 1k when you get to the Elite and Academies you make reference to.

Even 1k is light on for some clubs in Metro Sydney. Am going back a few years ago now but one club in the Western Suburbs of Sydney was charging what 1k would be deemed as just the deposit, And yes we are talking age groups where most kids would still be made to be in bed by 9.00pm.

Half the time the money is being used to pay Snr players at some of these clubs and has absolutely nothing to do with the development of the child's footballing ability. This is why i made the point that the game is being funded from the ground/grassroots up.

All IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Half the time the money is being used to pay Snr players at some of these clubs and has absolutely nothing to do with the development of the child's footballing ability. This is why i made the point that the game is being funded from the ground/grassroots up.
    Completely agree. I played IDs over 10 years ago and the juniors were paying my rego. Couldn't believe it then, can believe it even less now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    just a question, is the problem that the EJ's don't have enough cash to pay a scout and rather are waiting for the prospective parents to stump up the cash for their young lionels? or is it that there's a fairly glaring hole in scouting from top to bottom by the local, state and national federations, that's probably been allowed to fester due to sokkah politics that has been going on for donkeys years?

i grew up playing hockey in newcastle, and even though there was perceived bias towards certain clubs from parties at times (i've been guilty about complaining about it in the past, for the most part wrongly i must admit), the clubs and selectors generally didn't miss much, the best kids were in the development squads and were given every opportunity to then go for higher representative honours and the like.

i don't know if it's changed now, but the general notion was that the best kids were left to play for their clubs through the season, and were for the most part spread across all the clubs (cyclical changes/family dynasties aside), and came together for a yearly state tournament where the best kids were picked for a state team, then went to nationals and into further hockey and so on. by keeping everyone playing for their clubs, rather than trying to concentrate all the talent into one side, the competition bred super competitive, hard-working and cohesive teams that played the game in a dynamic (and distinctly different) manner across clubs, rather than a bunch of precious angels enslaved to a curriculum.

i don't know too much about junior soccer pre-jets in newcastle, but there does seem to be an excessive focus on "elite squads" and "academies" and the like, rather than solid, week-in, week-out competition. is the competition just too fractured in junior soccer? i.e. ID's, elites or whatever else is the go?

forgive the rambling, hopefully said something of note

As for scouting kids in Newy

The Jets play each NPL side twice. There is a good start to scouting the rest of the kids in the NPL
    That doesn't even include the coaches getting off their arses and checking out other games

Newy is also a small place so establish relationships and you become aware of kids with talent not in the NPL set up

Scouting locals could be done a hell of a lot better than it currently is without even paying someone as a scout

I am pretty certain the Gypos ain't paying scouts but scouring far and wide establishing relationships that bring them the Rogic Ryan Ibini etc

As for Academies and elite programs they are nothing but cash cows for those running them

Funds are being ripped out of parents to pay for senior players wages or to fund wages of beurecrats

That isn't s reflection on just the EJ but everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    As for scouting kids in Newy

The Jets play each NPL side twice. There is a good start to scouting the rest of the kids in the NPL
    That doesn't even include the coaches getting off their arses and checking out other games

Newy is also a small place so establish relationships and you become aware of kids with talent not in the NPL set up

Scouting locals could be done a hell of a lot better than it currently is without even paying someone as a scout

I am pretty certain the Gypos ain't paying scouts but scouring far and wide establishing relationships that bring them the Rogic Ryan Ibini etc

As for Academies and elite programs they are nothing but cash cows for those running them

Funds are being ripped out of parents to pay for senior players wages or to fund wages of beurecrats

That isn't s reflection on just the EJ but everywhere
    I agree.
    The Jets don't scout! Last season, after having watched the NPL and SAP programme all season and knowing the capabilities of the kids they all ready had, the Jets took another 6 weeks of trials to make the few changes that they made. During this period the NPL clubs weren't allowed to recruit and this created a massive feeding frenzy particularly in the 13s. Huge mess.

As for costs. A friend's son pays 1500 for Jets rego plus a shed load of other costs during the season. My son plays NPL and his rego is just under 1000. My other son who plays community in the same age as the other boy, pays 250.

The joke with the Jets is they pay 1500 to play in the same comp as those kids that pay 1000. Apparently it's for the better coaching but as the NPL coaching bar has been raised you would have to question that argument.

I know one kid who has it all except that his parents are skint. The Jets wanted him but they couldn't afford it. There is where it's wrong. There is a real talent that won't be in the (allegedly) best group available in our region.

The number of great players around the world from poverty stricken families (particularly South America) should ram this home...someone like Maradona would not be allowed into an EJ program.

There are families paying overs for a several kids in the same family, as well as for equipment AND overseas trips. What return will they get on their 2nd mortgage?

I agree we need to scout more - should we wait 6-8 years for one gem to appear in the EJ.....or should we just scout better (why not sign that mini Amini kid from the kick around at Gosford on the weekend)?

From what I have read, there have been numerous players who have chosen to go and play for local NPL clubs rather than stick with the Emerging Jets/Youth program; Hay, MacDonald, Pettit just a few off the top of my head. Just in recent days you have Crowley and Tuxford also decide to leave and try their luck in the Victorian NPL. Obviously the kids see no benefit from remaining in the program and probably more importantly see no pathway to the Jets A League side.
    When you consider Cowburn is the only one who could say has made a successful transition from the program to A League level in the last 3 years (the last one prior was Hoole), questions need to be asked.
    Is the coaching up to standard?
    Are the players up to standard?
    Do the club have KPI's for players coming through the program. Surely there must be a goal for say to get at least 1 or even 2 players up to the senior squad every year, otherwise what is the point of having it?
    Over the course of the year you see other clubs blooding Youth team players occasionally, exposing them to A League level....who from the Youth team apart from Crowley has had any game time?
    Definitely is something which needs improving at all levels.

Pawaik?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Pawaik?
    Has he even played once off the bench? Ive heard heaps of raps on this kid shorely he was worth a punt earlier in the season when kanta was suspended and watson was chosen
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Pawaik?
    Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Has he even played once off the bench? Ive heard heaps of raps on this kid shorely he was worth a punt earlier in the season when kanta was suspended and watson was chosen
    Was on the bench but never made it on the field. And yes, I think he was worth a punt too. He is technically very good on the ball in the two matches I've seen him play. I accept that's a small sample size.
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I recall the second game this season against SFC, Pawiak was a sub and was warming up when he got a call to get ready to come on. As fate would have it, within a minute or two Smeltz kicks Birraz in the face and BK has to come on for the injured Birraz. As BK was our third sub, Pawiak misses his opportunity to get some gametime and never gets an opportunity again. As Jeterpool mentions, yes he has been on the bench but like Lundy for some reason only Mr Miller knows, were never given a chance after that SFC game to get anywhere near coming on the field.

The biggest angry point for me was sticking with senior players who either were shit house or didn't have the ability to influence the game every week instead of maybe trying one or more youngsters for a few weeks and seeing what happens. I feel that if Triffo watson or carney and maybe enver were probs dropped for a few weeks and replaced they would've upped there game and the squad would've been working even harder cause they know if players dont perform they wont be reselected
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    The biggest angry point for me was sticking with senior players who either were shit house or didn't have the ability to influence the game every week instead of maybe trying one or more youngsters for a few weeks and seeing what happens. I feel that if Triffo watson or carney and maybe enver were probs dropped for a few weeks and replaced they would've upped there game and the squad would've been working even harder cause they know if players dont perform they wont be reselected
    That's basically the point I was trying to make a few weeks back that in so many games we finished the game with 1 or 2 unused subs, in particular if we were chasing the game. In the end we lost the points and likes of Lundy, Pawiak, Crowley, Pavicevic were not given an opportunity to show what they can do in a real match environment.....where it counts. In effect, a double whammy.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    That's basically the point I was trying to make a few weeks back that in so many games we finished the game with 1 or 2 unused subs, in particular if we were chasing the game. In the end we lost the points and likes of Lundy, Pawiak, Crowley, Pavicevic were not given an opportunity to show what they can do in a real match environment.....where it counts. In effect, a double whammy.
    Miller needs to learn from this mistake really quick cause if he does the same things next season were ****ed

love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Mostly I agree with this post. but Crowley was given a great chance... In front of an open goal from two metres out. He puts that in maybe he gets another chance to show what he can do. Imo I don't think pawiak is up to HAL standard yet but he still deserved a spot over Watson. That guy isn't even npl standard

my kid played 7's last year with a kid that was ok but not great but his old man was a dickhead (classic sideline hero yelling at 6 year olds and keeping score etc ect) anyway he tells me at the end of season his kid has been 'selected' to attend (insert former players name here) 'Summer camp'.

After I told him if I pony up the rego I could get my pet lab 'selected' to the same camp the relationship soured.

I guarantee the kid won't be playing football by the time he's 16. Parents living their lives through their kids are the real problem here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    my kid played 7's last year with a kid that was ok but not great but his old man was a dickhead (classic sideline hero yelling at 6 year olds and keeping score etc ect) anyway he tells me at the end of season his kid has been 'selected' to attend (insert former players name here) 'Summer camp'.

After I told him if I pony up the rego I could get my pet lab 'selected' to the same camp the relationship soured.

I guarantee the kid won't be playing football by the time he's 16. Parents living their lives through their kids are the real problem here.
    Cool story bro

But exactly how is it relevant here??

Draw the line to your point please

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Cool story bro

But exactly how is it relevant here??

Draw the line to your point please
    Because you can buy your way into anything.
    Don't mean you're anything great.

Bring full circle on the Jets scouts. They lacked a #10, found Hoole in the local comp then did what.

Jets produced Kale.
    Big picture so what?

Scrap the whole damn system. Spend NNSW funds in local clubs and cherry pick when it suits.

Then maybe hire a first team coach that isn't a **** to them.

I'll let you pick up the baton for the home straight.