Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Joke that is the Emerging Jets Program

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Because you can buy your way into anything.
    Don't mean you're anything great.

Bring full circle on the Jets scouts. They lacked a #10, found Hoole in the local comp then did what.

Jets produced Kale.
    Big picture so what?

Scrap the whole damn system. Spend NNSW funds in local clubs and cherry pick when it suits.

Then maybe hire a first team coach that isn't a **** to them.

I'll let you pick up the baton for the home straight.
    So you can buy your way into everything

Yep you are right there. It is a principle in life. Everything has a price

Not as relevant here with the EJ as you already have to PAY to get a kid in the program

Bit different if it was not costing the parents money already and selection was 100% based on ability

Then the brown paper bags may come into the equation and be relevant

Anyway cool story bro

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    So you can buy your way into everything

Yep you are right there. It is a principle in life. Everything has a price

Not as relevant here with the EJ as you already have to PAY to get a kid in the program

Bit different if it was not costing the parents money already and selection was 100% based on ability

Then the brown paper bags may come into the equation and be relevant

Anyway cool story bro
    Nah it's not a cool story you just don't understand other people's posts.

So how are you going to fix this joke of a program?

I say scrap it.

You?

Banned
    Nah it's not a cool story you just don't understand other people's posts.

So how are you going to fix this joke of a program?

I say scrap it.

You?
    Under its current model with Northern running it and the lack of adequate funding it needs scrapping

With some funding you could do a lot with it.

Problem is that Northern have a piss poor record at developing kids the last 30 years anyway

Add in the coaching appointments are not exactly top shelf anyway and the lack of money into it and it is obvious why we have the cluster**** it is

my kid played 7's last year with a kid that was ok but not great but his old man was a dickhead (classic sideline hero yelling at 6 year olds and keeping score etc ect) anyway he tells me at the end of season his kid has been 'selected' to attend (insert former players name here) 'Summer camp'.

After I told him if I pony up the rego I could get my pet lab 'selected' to the same camp the relationship soured.

I guarantee the kid won't be playing football by the time he's 16. Parents living their lives through their kids are the real problem here.
    good, I saw one of those arrogant pricks last weekend in u8's.

kid scores his 10th goal against weak opposition and he's "stick it up em johnny". had tell the toe rag hero to pull his head in.

Under its current model with Northern running it and the lack of adequate funding it needs scrapping

With some funding you could do a lot with it.

Problem is that Northern have a piss poor record at developing kids the last 30 years anyway
    Yeah this seems to be the main issue isn't it, but is there any chance of NNSW ever not demanding its nose be in amongst this?

Banned
    Yeah this seems to be the main issue isn't it, but is there any chance of NNSW ever not demanding its nose be in amongst this?
    Whilst ever they are funding it anyway then no

Even when Tinkler was funding it they were still contributing so get their say

That also being said HSG were allowing them involvement just to keep them footing the bill entirely

At the end of the day until Northern get competent governance they are going to hinder this program

As for scouting kids in Newy

The Jets play each NPL side twice. There is a good start to scouting the rest of the kids in the NPL
    That doesn't even include the coaches getting off their arses and checking out other games

Newy is also a small place so establish relationships and you become aware of kids with talent not in the NPL set up

Scouting locals could be done a hell of a lot better than it currently is without even paying someone as a scout

I am pretty certain the Gypos ain't paying scouts but scouring far and wide establishing relationships that bring them the Rogic Ryan Ibini etc

As for Academies and elite programs they are nothing but cash cows for those running them

Funds are being ripped out of parents to pay for senior players wages or to fund wages of beurecrats

That isn't s reflection on just the EJ but everywhere
    Once in the jets program, harder for kids who probably should be there to get back in.... watching the coaching staff yesterday, all they were interested in was their beloved jets kids, no thought of watching kids who are playing U22/First Grade NPL at 17/18yo, this happens every week of the year. Not one parent/supporter of the jets purchased or were interested in buying 100 club numbers ( sold out against Valentine the week before apparently ), and not one representative of the teams coach/manager/strapper whoever came to opposition club after the game..... this is the reason unfortunately a us v them attitude develops, and it shouldn't be that way.

Quote Originally Posted by GO AWAY View Post
    Once in the jets program, harder for kids who probably should be there to get back in.... watching the coaching staff yesterday, all they were interested in was their beloved jets kids, no thought of watching kids who are playing U22/First Grade NPL at 17/18yo, this happens every week of the year. Not one parent/supporter of the jets purchased or were interested in buying 100 club numbers ( sold out against Valentine the week before apparently ), and not one representative of the teams coach/manager/strapper whoever came to opposition club after the game..... this is the reason unfortunately a us v them attitude develops, and it shouldn't be that way.
    you cant blame parents for not forking out on game day, $10 each for mum and dad to watch little johnny play plus the $1000 or so to be a junior jet add a couple of siblings hitting the tuck shop doesnt leave much change

There is so much politics and bullshit in the whole youth setup of the club it makes me sick - look at some of these talented names who are now lost to the club who never got a proper chance: Bradbury, M Kantarovski, Finlayson, Papas, Remington, Lundy...and I'm sure there are more I've missed. Guys who were initially selected for the NPL season have left before it started, because they must have had enough of the closed shop and glass ceiling after seeing the previous names be strung along and then thrown on the scrapheap. Guys like Hay, McDonald, Tuxford, and even Crowley must have seen that there was no pathway to a professional contract at the club and that they were wasting their time there.

And now, the youth setup is paying for it. I called it before the NPL season that they'd regret the lack of opportunity given to the most talented homegrown youth. So far, my concerns have been justified. The 1st grade squad is paper thin, with many kids in the starting XI who are totally out of their depth at this stage. I was concerned with what I saw at Weston in patches and I was kept up to date with proceedings yesterday at Azzuri which ended up as a disaster. You have a keeper who is making schoolboy errors week in, week out. You have a 3 man backline - none of which are centre-backs. Apart from Joice up top, you have a very lightweight front third. Almost no recruitment happened to replace the guys who recently left as well as Tom Whiteside who was a rock at the back for the last few years. Pretty well no strengthening of the backline has occurred. Off the top of my head, there are only 3 'senior' players left in the youth squad - Burke (injured), Waller (returning from injury) and Pawiak, who's been left holding the bag while the other 2 are returning to fitness.

This then has a flow on effect to the sides playing in the U22's and U19's. I saw the 22's get punted 4-0 at Weston a fortnight ago and they were horribly, horribly outclassed. Many out of their depth in that game too, most likely having to step up to fill the holes above.

Forgot to mention some other talented youngsters who were shafted and discarded, or left due to a lack of opportunity - Michael Williams, Josh Murray, Tom Davies. All quality young defenders who would have been of great value to the current Jets Youth side.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    There is so much politics and bullshit in the whole youth setup of the club it makes me sick - look at some of these talented names who are now lost to the club who never got a proper chance: Bradbury, M Kantarovski, Finlayson, Papas, Remington, Lundy...and I'm sure there are more I've missed. Guys who were initially selected for the NPL season have left before it started, because they must have had enough of the closed shop and glass ceiling after seeing the previous names be strung along and then thrown on the scrapheap. Guys like Hay, McDonald, Tuxford, and even Crowley must have seen that there was no pathway to a professional contract at the club and that they were wasting their time there.

And now, the youth setup is paying for it. I called it before the NPL season that they'd regret the lack of opportunity given to the most talented homegrown youth. So far, my concerns have been justified. The 1st grade squad is paper thin, with many kids in the starting XI who are totally out of their depth at this stage. I was concerned with what I saw at Weston in patches and I was kept up to date with proceedings yesterday at Azzuri which ended up as a disaster. You have a keeper who is making schoolboy errors week in, week out. You have a 3 man backline - none of which are centre-backs. Apart from Joice up top, you have a very lightweight front third. Almost no recruitment happened to replace the guys who recently left as well as Tom Whiteside who was a rock at the back for the last few years. Pretty well no strengthening of the backline has occurred. Off the top of my head, there are only 3 'senior' players left in the youth squad - Burke (injured), Waller (returning from injury) and Pawiak, who's been left holding the bag while the other 2 are returning to fitness.

This then has a flow on effect to the sides playing in the U22's and U19's. I saw the 22's get punted 4-0 at Weston a fortnight ago and they were horribly, horribly outclassed. Many out of their depth in that game too, most likely having to step up to fill the holes above.
    Right on the money here Jonty!
    Last 12 months you are getting more and more players in the 18-20 years age group realising hey my chances of getting into the Jets A League side are virtually zilch, may as well go to an NPL side and get a few hundred bucks a game. I would say it has reached a bit of a "crisis" stage this season and could get embarrassing for both the Jets and the NNSW NPL as a whole when scores start blowing out. One thing since the Jets youth have been in the NNSW NPL, if they have not been amongst the top sides, they have always at least been competitive, early signs are that this won't be the case. Poor decision-making over a number of years and a poor culture in the treatment of players has led to the current status quo.
    The question now is, how does the club win back the trust of young players in this region because at the moment it's clear that players do not see the jets youth team as a "pathway" anymore....more like a "dead-end"!!!

Well said, stopper. There are players in that squad who have undoubtedly had to put work and/or studies on hold in order to be part of this program, and as you mention, when they see the writing on the wall, or realise that glass ceiling is never going to break, they decide that fighting a lost cause and making the sacrifice for a laughable paycheck every week is not sustainable.

Certainly has the potential for blowout scorelines when inevitably injuries and suspensions hit, and also if anyone else decides the exit door is a better option, forcing a kid who's even more out of his depth to make up the numbers.

Jonty you made mention of a few boys from the 1997 age group who are no longer involved with the program.
    I recall a few years back when these boys as 14 year olds....Williams, Davies, Murray alongside Burke and Waller used to go down to Sydney mid-week and play against your Sydney sides like United, Marconi etc and were not only competitive but would regularly beat them. None other than Kasey Wehrman was their coach and the kids absolutley loved playing under him, it wasn't about stroking his ego as a fledgling coach, he was in it solely for developing these boys into footballers.
    If I recall he was all about the kids playing results football and not a big fan of the FFA's stringent 4-3-3 curiculum, which meant he was going to be at loggerheads against the NNSW hierarchy. Can't remember whether he left or whether he was squeezed out but it's so typical of the politics involved at the coaching level in NNSW.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post

Good points.

I though disagree that the club should have bolstered their first grade side this season by recruiting

It is there responsibility to have the kids up to speed anyway. By recruiting in they are only papering over their failings anyway.
    To have in September 2014 the champion of the NPL to now 18 months later having just Pawiak and Waller left says a hell of a lot about their succession and development planning or complete lack of it

A lot of the kids playing this season were playing 19s in September 2014. The reality is they are not quite ready yet. Where are the kids that were playing 22s in September 2014 who should be the ones pulling the side up??
    They are either not there or not doing good enough.
    Once again the coaching failing

You bring up the lack of CDs what about the lack of natural wide players in the system?? The 22s were playing CMs out on the wing the other week as they don't have wingers in the club

How the **** playing a 4-3-3 can you have the oversight to not have the wide players??

As for your comments on the keeper. He young he making some errors for now but I have faith in his ability long term. He has the talent so be a bit more patient and constructive with your criticism there

Good points.

I though disagree that the club should have bolstered their first grade side this season by recruiting

It is there responsibility to have the kids up to speed anyway. By recruiting in they are only papering over their failings anyway.
    Yep, fair point that. I didn't look at it in that way. But I still can't help but feel maybe another 1 or 2 older heads is just what this side needs at this stage.

To have in September 2014 the champion of the NPL to now 18 months later having just Pawiak and Waller left says a hell of a lot about their succession and development planning or complete lack of it

A lot of the kids playing this season were playing 19s in September 2014. The reality is they are not quite ready yet. Where are the kids that were playing 22s in September 2014 who should be the ones pulling the side up??
    Speaks volumes really to have just those two left and not much coming through. Perhaps the 22's of 2014 jumped before they were pushed? I don't know. From memory they were a handy enough side too.

You bring up the lack of CDs what about the lack of natural wide players in the system?? The 22s were playing CMs out on the wing the other week as they don't have wingers in the club

How the **** playing a 4-3-3 can you have the oversight to not have the wide players??
    Yes, I did notice that out at Weston. The younger Lundy was playing as a left winger when he is a natural number 10 as was wasted by being played there. Was very isolated.

As for your comments on the keeper. He young he making some errors for now but I have faith in his ability long term. He has the talent so be a bit more patient and constructive with your criticism there
    Not my intention to tear him to shreds, but I can see how it came across that way. What I meant to say was that perhaps he's not quite ready to be an NPL first grade #1, but the young lad has no choice but to step up and make a go of it after Tuxford's departure. Putting people in the deep end when they're not quite there yet can have a detrimental effect in the mid-to-long term, I know this first hand myself.

On another note, just thinking out loud back to my original post - why would the senior coaches at the club not have been willing to invest time in such talent, and even those who haven't been mentioned who were a part of the 2014 league winning side?
    Last edited by Jonty; 19-04-2016 at 06:50 PM.

Banned
    To the best of my knowledge nearly all of last year's 19s were let go.

They were not the greatest generation.

As a result the kids playing 19s this year are even younger than in previous years.

Just exacerbating the problem by having to replace nearly an entire generation of kids who should have been expected to step up and help out in higher grades

To the best of my knowledge nearly all of last year's 19s were let go.

They were not the greatest generation.

As a result the kids playing 19s this year are even younger than in previous years.

Just exacerbating the problem by having to replace nearly an entire generation of kids who should have been expected to step up and help out in higher grades
    I recall a few years back the last team to play under the NSWIS banner which included the likes of Lundy, Papas, Pawiak and Hay etc. in the 19's comp won both the Premiership and the GF, losing one game all year!!! Lundy made 3 appearances in 2 seasons at A League level for the Jets and has now been shafted.
    All that remains of this talented group in the Jets set-up is Pawiak and Waller in the Youth team.

this thread needs the Lifeline number in it. How depressing elite junior football politics is.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    I recall a few years back the last team to play under the NSWIS banner which included the likes of Lundy, Papas, Pawiak and Hay etc. in the 19's comp won both the Premiership and the GF, losing one game all year!!! Lundy made 3 appearances in 2 seasons at A League level for the Jets and has now been shafted.
    All that remains of this talented group in the Jets set-up is Pawiak and Waller in the Youth team.
    That certainly was a golden generation for NNSWF that side, combined with the year above. How's this for a pretty handy squad of local juniors - Cowburn, Williams, Davies, Hay, Pawiak, Papas, M Kantarovski, Finlayson, Remington, Lundy, Bradbury, Murray, Waller. The bulk of these names were part of the 2014 Jets Youth side that won the league in the NPL. How times have changed. How many of these names have been given a decent crack in a senior environment by the club? A grand total of one.