Page 169 of 193 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 3858

Thread: 2016/17 Squad Thread

How a critical mass of decision makers gravitated to one club and all came to the comfortable decision that Mullen deserves a new contract, it's unbelievable, he's a hell of a lucky below average pine warmer, time to go grab some lottery tickets daniel!

well they can't be surprised when people stop turning up, because there is lack of ambition then there's not even ****ing bothering to try and improve.

He's not good enough in his chosen position and is worse at RB, but typical jets let's give him another contract, they should have just let this abortion fade into history after Tinkler if this is the best they can come up with. The club has been turned into a legit training base for Chinese footballers, that's the extent of ledman groups displayed interest so far and I fear that's the limit
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Could also be a case of them going ten years too late as well. They may have done better playing youth football in Europe rather than in Australia.
    Actually that is a fair point.

Craig Johnston, Harry Kewelll, Tim Cahill were kids with the balls to leave their mummies and go over there and live the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Actually that is a fair point.

Craig Johnston, Harry Kewelll, Tim Cahill were kids with the balls to leave their mummies and go over there and live the dream.
    It toughens them up and in many ways creates a passion / desire to be the best which is usually missing in kids that have been rewarded financially before they actually achieve anything. You even see it a local level now where kids are getting paid or given endorsements from clubs long before they really do anything of note. It then becomes a case of them feeling entitled regardless of their lack of achievements. Bottom line, you can make a lot of money from football these days even if you are shit.
    THe NPL players today make more money in real terms than the majority of NSL players did in the 70's and 80's, and 90's. And yet those NSL players were good enough for Socceroo call ups and even offers from overseas clubs.
    Hence, there's just not a lot of incentive to get to the next level now and you also get kids like Hoole who are clueless about the gap between here and Europe.
    And these Centres of excellence / elite Jets type programs are only making it worse.
    People like Kevin Keegan are quite vocal that these sorts of things are what has ruined English football.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 03-03-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    How a critical mass of decision makers gravitated to one club and all came to the comfortable decision that Mullen deserves a new contract, it's unbelievable, he's a hell of a lucky below average pine warmer, time to go grab some lottery tickets daniel!

well they can't be surprised when people stop turning up, because there is lack of ambition then there's not even ****ing bothering to try and improve.

He's not good enough in his chosen position and is worse at RB, but typical jets let's give him another contract, they should have just let this abortion fade into history after Tinkler if this is the best they can come up with. The club has been turned into a legit training base for Chinese footballers, that's the extent of ledman groups displayed interest so far and I fear that's the limit
    Lack of ambition as you say should be the clubs motto.

Whilst I agree with most people's points here regarding player movement to Europe and getting prepared from a young age, I still think it's a little ironic that most are rubbishing a young bloke for backing himself come season's end to try his luck overseas..

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Whilst I agree with most people's points here regarding player movement to Europe and getting prepared from a young age, I still think it's a little ironic that most are rubbishing a young bloke for backing himself come season's end to try his luck overseas..
    If someone can't consistently stand out week in week out for just one season in the a-league though, isn't that saying something? Taggart was golden boot and struggled, Birighitti had a brilliant season for us and has disappeared. I'm sure we could rattle off another 10-20 players who have performed better than Hoole and done 0 overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    If someone can't consistently stand out week in week out for just one season in the a-league though, isn't that saying something? Taggart was golden boot and struggled, Birighitti had a brilliant season for us and has disappeared. I'm sure we could rattle off another 10-20 players who have performed better than Hoole and done 0 overseas.
    He's going to dud Scando leagues where only the top teams are any good. Some of the teams at the bottom of those divisions are shite.

He's going to dud Scando leagues where only the top teams are any good. Some of the teams at the bottom of those divisions are shite.
    So even less excuse if/when he doesn't set the league alight.

That's not how I see the issue is being portrayed, however. I think Hoole is being painted as the bad guy who is turning his back on his hometown team, the team who gave him a lifeline from Sydney, because he doesn't want to be limited because of a minimum transfer fee that is perceived to be too high.

If he wants to go overseas, best of luck to him. I genuinely wish him all the best and it would be great to see a Newcastle player plying his trade overseas. What a success for the region.

It's just a shame the club will not receive any benefit through a possible transfer fee (which even if it is the amount quoted I don't think is excessive).
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Tried to do that on the podcast last night.
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

RE: Birraz, I'm pretty confident he knew he would be warming the pine at best with his move to Swansea. I think it was more about the exposure to overseas coaching etc.

In a few years time I can see him being a standout in the Championship where he is loaned/sold.

Maybe Hoole will go to Spurs where his dad played...

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    RE: Birraz, I'm pretty confident he knew he would be warming the pine at best with his move to Swansea. I think it was more about the exposure to overseas coaching etc.

In a few years time I can see him being a standout in the Championship where he is loaned/sold.
    If that's what he wanted then fair enough. I just think some of these guys are on the fringe of the Socceroos and possibly throw those chances away.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    It toughens them up and in many ways creates a passion / desire to be the best which is usually missing in kids that have been rewarded financially before they actually achieve anything. You even see it a local level now where kids are getting paid or given endorsements from clubs long before they really do anything of note. It then becomes a case of them feeling entitled regardless of their lack of achievements. Bottom line, you can make a lot of money from football these days even if you are shit.
    THe NPL players today make more money in real terms than the majority of NSL players did in the 70's and 80's, and 90's. And yet those NSL players were good enough for Socceroo call ups and even offers from overseas clubs.
    Hence, there's just not a lot of incentive to get to the next level now and you also get kids like Hoole who are clueless about the gap between here and Europe.
    And these Centres of excellence / elite Jets type programs are only making it worse.
    People like Kevin Keegan are quite vocal that these sorts of things are what has ruined English football.
    Obviously kids coming through the academies big European leagues are going to have better coaching/resources than here, but we should be moving away from sending our kids young. That's what the A-League is here for.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    Obviously kids coming through the academies big European leagues are going to have better coaching/resources than here, but we should be moving away from sending our kids young. That's what the A-League is here for.
    Absolutely.

We definitely don't want our kids getting the best coaching in a far more competitive environment. Much better for them to plateau and stagnate here before heading over to Europe to warm the pine for a season or two and then return home as faux marquees.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    Absolutely.

We definitely don't want our kids getting the best coaching in a far more competitive environment. Much better for them to plateau and stagnate here before heading over to Europe to warm the pine for a season or two and then return home as faux marquees.
    Um no we should be making sure they have the best possible coaching here to both make our league stronger and create players who can go on to play in the top leagues.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

People only leave for greener pastures.
    Recently I think we have kept a lot of players who previously would've headed overseas. Ange and his efforts to pick a league players and regularly playing players is having a positive effect.
    But that being said, the coaching is much better in some leagues than we have here, and we probably have better coaching than other leagues. It's all about what the player wants.

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    Why ? it's failed for over ten years. It's not the coaching that's the main issue - it's the fact that the incentive to be the best is not as strong as it used to be in players back in the NSL days.

Players now seek a lifestyle from football - being the best and representing your country is only an afterthought.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 04-03-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Most rubbishing? Are you sure more than 50% think this.

I think anyone should step up and have a go. IF, he was going to make it he defo would/should have gone long ago. BUT, if he does get a couple of years dough out of it why not. His deficiencies will show up big time though.

Why ? it's failed for over ten years. It's not the coaching that's the main issue - it's the fact that the incentive to be the best is not as strong as it used to be in players back in the NSL days.

Players now seek a lifestyle from football - being the best and representing your country is only an afterthought.
    Maybe 2 years in the HAL at 16-17 yo might get you o/s.