Page 69 of 193 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 3858

Thread: 2016/17 Squad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Kokko is definitely coming, apparently doing a medical later this week. Passes that, he will be officially a Jet.
    Don't understand why having "similar" players in the squad is a concern. We saw last year with Labi getting injured early on how it affects the depth. Would rather we go into a season with strong competition for starting XI spots and having a bench with experience and good options rather then what we had last season.
    You want your top earners to give you most impact in the game, so by signing two quality visa strikers, and benching one, in our usual formation of 1 up front, is a waste.

If Miller decided to play 442, with 2 actual strikers, then that's a different story altogether. And to be honest that's why I hope this Church rumour is true. Cannot remember the last time this club started with 2 actual strikers on the field, and finally we have the midfield to pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Dear me, is this supposed to be funny!
    Seriously thought that one grows out of seeing the humour in Chinese names by the time you reach puberty.
    Suppose small things amuse small....
    Isn't the follow up "smaller minds take notice"?

I'd love it if we had a Wang on the team. Imagine the puns? Imagine if he hacks down a gypo and gets a red, leaving us a man short? "Hard Wang tackle", "short Wang, the Jets attack was limp" or imagine if he hits the post and "Wang comes close to busting the net".

Only better player we could get is a winger called Jesus with an accurate right foot so we could all cackle maniacally every time "Jesus nails the cross".

"Wang enters the box"

thought it was Wang goes down in the box...
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

"Wang goes down in the box"
    "Wang impotent in attack"

(After scoring a hat trick that secures us the title) "Everybody Have Fun Tonight"
    "Dance hall days"

Think I've got side tracked. Wang Chung.

Wang pokes one through the wall...

no, maybe Wang penetrates wall...

Wang dribbles from the box and into the goal mouth

If only we'd sign a Dutch bloke name Vas Deferens then the fun could really cut loose.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    If only we'd sign a Dutch bloke name Vas Deferens then the fun could really cut loose.
    image.jpg

Kokko scored again last night. And I mean the player..

If only Nicky Butt was still playing.........

If the new Chinese bloke is a mobile player he could be the first box to box Wang we've had since Griff.

Imagine the stats on Kokko, Wang and clut. Stopper would have a meltdown.

It's a shame Ufuk isn't around anymore....or Stefan Kuntz.

Last edited by Jetmaster; 11-08-2016 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    It's a shame Ufuk isn't around anymore....or Stefan Kuntz.

Look around the foz. Plenty of Stefan's around.

In an attempt to bring this thread back on track.........I can't see the FFA registering the contract for the Chinese Player. After Kokko officially signs thats 22 of our 23 man squad filled with 1 spot remaining. That squad position must be filled with a mandatory u20 player.

So until we find a way to free up another squad position I don't see a away the FFA will register a contract for another player i.e. the chinese winger we have trialling in 2 weeks.

Commence Wild Conjecture

Leaving a fit Cooper out of the game day squad last week was a tell tale sign to me that he is on the outer but now the entire squad has gone on the country tour. Maybe we have learnt from last years fiasco of isolating players. Will be interesting to see who does and doesn't play against the Mariners.

Then the question is how do we cut a contracted player. Usually by finding them another club and or a full or partial payout. Of players like Brennan, Pav & Cooper, only Cooper can I see to be wanted by other clubs. The Gypos released Josh Rose this week and are in the market for a No 10. Adelaide are short of Australian players and we seem to have a history of letting players go there. They are the two most likely in my opinion. Then there is Malaysia. Henrique signed for the same Malaysian club as Taylor Regan and now wants to rescind his contract. Cooper could be a replacement.

Then you would think that we have both the salary cap and resources to pay a player out. Not ideal for a club on a budget. My guess is a bit of both, that they will try to find a home for the player covering as minimal payout as possible, but worst case scenario is a full payout

Borat ^

I thought we were allowed 3x "full time youth players" that didn't count to the cap $ or space wise, but got paid like 40-50k per year. Ie I thought diligent clubs could have 26 contracted players, technically. Can't we utilise that?
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Borat ^

I thought we were allowed 3x "full time youth players" that didn't count to the cap $ or space wise, but got paid like 40-50k per year. Ie I thought diligent clubs could have 26 contracted players, technically. Can't we utilise that?
    No we can't, the NYL Pro contracted players are additional. We can utilise it to get 26 contracted players, as you say, but its optional. Whereas its a minimum A-League squad requirement to have 3 x u20's within your 20-23 man A-League squad. We currently have 2 (Allesi and Vujica).

The 3 x NYL contracted players are part of the NYL squad but contracted to the Jets. As opposed to the rest of the NYL squad which are considered amateur players and can be signed by any A-League club as free agents. There are other restrictions to these contracts in that they must be of 2 years in length and the player cannot be older than 20 in the 2nd year. What makes them confusing is that clubs just announce 19 yo Player X has signed and rarely reveal which contract they have signed (A-league or Pro-NYL)

The 3 x u20's is an A-league squad requirement and is mandatory.

Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 12.38.37 pm.jpg

http://www.a-league.com.au/about/sal...n13oyz89nari1m
    Last edited by borat; 11-08-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Interesting, cheers for clearing it up.

I wonder if we get an under 20 injury replacement for Alessi if that would be considered the third Australian under20? Just a hypothetical there, and would satisfy the 3 spots for the cost of 2 spots if we can get away with it!

Like has been mentioned, if we're going to sign this Chinese player (however old) it looks like one of Pav, Brennan or Cooper will get turfed to make it happen.

What was the rule about getting a player straight from the NPL? Their wage was not included in the cap, or some of it wasn't, yeah? I'm just thinking we probably didn't but could have used that for Brennan last year.
    OK