Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 298

Thread: Guitars and Instruments (no stairway)

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,380

    Guitars and Instruments (no stairway)

    Discuss

    I won a fender Jap copy off a mate in early 90's. The bet? who ever finishes on top out of Spurs and Liverpud that year.

    I declined to take it but he insisted as he brought a new strat. the only mod added is a Porkers sticker
    Last edited by hawk; 19-05-2016 at 05:14 PM.

  2. #2
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,606
    Further, my teacher made me buy a Fender Princeton Chorus amp. I still have it but it's starting to sound a bit weak.

    It was a beautiful piece of kit back in its day.

    (Again though, I wanted a Marshall stack. Guitar teacher 2, Plague 0).

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,225





    Nothing too flash.

    Custom Made G&L USA S-500
    51 Squier
    Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat
    Maton Mini EMM6 Mahogany

    Another Telecaster will be my next purchase
    Last edited by The Dunster; 19-05-2016 at 08:47 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lance Yorke Field
    Posts
    1,687
    I'm a Gibson man myself. '94 Les Paul Standard and '10 Custom Shop ES-339. Nothing better than these through the Marshall or Baez (any self respecting Newie local should have one of these). That said, i have a few fenders (strat and Jag) and my pointy Ibanez, they just don't see a lot of use.

    I do need a smaller amp around the house, even with a power attenuator they still piss off the neighbours. Complete overkill for someone without a band.

    I'll come back with better photos at some point when I'm not on my phone.



    Last edited by sammydog; 19-05-2016 at 08:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Discuss

    I won a fender Jap copy off a mate in early 90's. The bet? who ever finishes on top out of Spurs and Liverpud that year.

    I declined to take it but he insisted as he brought a new strat. the only mod added is a Porkers sticker
    Very Nice: In the early 90's the Japanese Fenders were better than the USA made examples - once you changed the pickups.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lance Yorke Field
    Posts
    1,687
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Very Nice: In the early 90's the Japanese Fenders were better than the USA made examples - once you changed the pickups.
    My Jaguar is Japanese. At the time, other than the pickups, they were far better than the American equivalent. I swapped the stock pickups for a Seymour Duncan Quaterpounder in the Bridge and a more vintage style in the neck.

    If you can get a 70's or 80's Japanese Ibanez, they are quality.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Further, my teacher made me buy a Fender Princeton Chorus amp. I still have it but it's starting to sound a bit weak.

    It was a beautiful piece of kit back in its day.

    (Again though, I wanted a Marshall stack. Guitar teacher 2, Plague 0).
    They are still a nice little solid state amp today. Yours probably just needs a few caps replaced to get back to its best.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    My Jaguar is Japanese. At the time, other than the pickups, they were far better than the American equivalent. I swapped the stock pickups for a Seymour Duncan Quaterpounder in the Bridge and a more vintage style in the neck.

    If you can get a 70's or 80's Japanese Ibanez, they are quality.
    Our guitarist had a shit load of Ibanez's back in the late 70's to mid 80's. He's still trying to get them all back after he lost his mind got married and sold them In the mid 90's.

    Wrt Fender, probably making their best guitars ever in the last five years or so.

    I went the other way and got a G&L but while it's awesomely built and all it just doesn't have the mojo of some of the pre-cbs Strats I have played.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 19-05-2016 at 08:58 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lance Yorke Field
    Posts
    1,687
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Again though, I wanted a Marshall stack. Guitar teacher 2, Plague 0.
    You don't want a Marshall stack. Sure they look cool, but the cost a fortune and only sound good when you run them hot. Unfortunately in most venues, it is overkill. Play them at bedroom volumes and they sound terrible.

    If you don't like the fender, find a low watt tube amp.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lance Yorke Field
    Posts
    1,687
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Our guitarist had a shit load of Ibanez's back in the late 70's to mid 80's. He's still trying to get them all back after he lost his mind got married and sold them In the mid 90's.
    My mate had an early 70's Ibanez Jazz Bass. It is the single greatest bass I have ever played. Weighed a ton, but sounded and felt incredible. I see them on eBay every now and then and think I should grab one but never get around to pulling the trigger.

    Even now, there is some Les Paul knockoffs from Japan (Tokai) that are a fraction of the cost of a Gibson, but every bit as good if you can live without the gibson name.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,225
    Anyone have a luthier they can recommend in Newcastle or thereabouts ?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lance Yorke Field
    Posts
    1,687
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Anyone have a luthier they can recommend in Newcastle or thereabouts ?
    I want to know the same thing. I want some nitro refinishing done on the ES.

    What do you need repaired?

  13. #13
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,606
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    You don't want a Marshall stack. Sure they look cool, but the cost a fortune and only sound good when you run them hot. Unfortunately in most venues, it is overkill. Play them at bedroom volumes and they sound terrible.
    Oh I know that, pointless, expensive and innapropriate.

    But when you're a kid and you wanna play guitar well yanno, chicks and stuff.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,380
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post

    Maton Mini EMM6 Mahogany
    looking for a small cutaway at the mom. those dark woods are nice

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,225
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    looking for a small cutaway at the mom. those dark woods are nice
    Collings OM2H - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIcXzF2VZ4k

    Larrivee PV-09 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i66HSRxQ2PU

    I've played the Larrivee quite a bit and find it really hard to put down. The only reason I don't drop the cash on one is that to make it really shine you need to play finger style rather than flat pick like I do.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,225


    I started as a keyboard player and while I'm ok at programming / creating sounds on them I just never managed to gel with keyboards as a player.
    The only reason I never started guitar as a kid was that being left handed I didn't like the idea of playing right-handed and at the time there was a severely limited number of left handed guitars to choose from.

    Moving on - in November 2015 I bit the bullet and bought a right handed guitar. Felt ridiculously uncomfortable for about a week but then all of a sudden found my groove so to speak. I'm still shit but managed to get at least 5 hours practice in everyday. On keyboards I struggled to practice more than 30mins a day because I was pretty much forcing myself to practice rather than wanting to do it.

    Being obsessive compulsive I've also acquired Guitar Acquisition Syndrome as well and have probably played more guitars in the last six months than many would play in a life time.

    Now I rarely if ever even turn the keyboards on anymore as they just don't give me the buzz that the guitars do.

    Has anyone else here crossed over from the dark side of Keyboards to Guitar ? And do you think it helped you as a guitarist to be familiar with another instrument before hand ?
    Last edited by The Dunster; 24-05-2016 at 03:59 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lance Yorke Field
    Posts
    1,687
    Don't talk to me about GAS.

    Went looking for a cheap bass today for home recording purposes. I now think I will be buying a BC Rich Mockingbird.

    Do I need another guitar.....nope. Don't play most of the guitars I have, but something about it is screaming to be bought.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,225
    The BC Rich Guitars look great . Do they play well ?


    I saw this quote about GAS on Musicians Friend Website which made me laugh:

    Bank balances have been battered and marriages destroyed, but by god there’s been some lovely gear bought.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 24-05-2016 at 07:04 PM.

  19. #19
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,606
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Has anyone else here crossed over from the dark side of Keyboards to Guitar ? And do you think it helped you as a guitarist to be familiar with another instrument before hand ?
    interesting you brought this up.
    was contemplating getting Plague jar a guitar last Christmas (he's 6) and music pros and teachers I spoke to all said the same thing. Get him to learn keyboard first as it will make guitar (and music) easier long term. they all said that young kids playing guitar is a very difficult introduction and keyboard will be easier to learn from both a 'making noise' perspective and learning to read music.

    never even thought about it that way but testimony from people that did it certainly has swayed my way of thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lance Yorke Field
    Posts
    1,687
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The BC Rich Guitars look great . Do they play well ?
    It played OK, I wasn't too worried about the sound as my intent was to gut the electronics and put in either Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates or Slash pickups alone with new pots and capacitors.

    They have a mahogany neck and mahogany body with a maple cap. The neck is a neck through body design, so it should in theory sound good with the right pickups.

    But after playing, and it played fine, it just looked plastic. I'm not sure if this is just a nitro v's poly finish on guitar issue as I generally play nitro finished guitars, but the finish was a bit rough and plastic looking. Not something that affects how it plays, but you have to love it before you buy it.

    I may still grab it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •