Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitars and Instruments (no stairway)

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Just got the Jag back from having the Fender Vintage 65 pickups installed along with rewiring the guitar with CTS pots and jacks.

The neck pickup has gone from being unusable to a really sweet warm sound. Very much like a tele. The bridge is a huge departure fro the Seymour Duncan Quaterpounder I had in it. Will take a while to get used to, but with the volume rolled of it has some very nice cleans. While very much treble oriented, it isn't like an ice pick and is pretty cool, although with the bright switch on its all a bit too much.

Pretty happy though and am now contemplating some Custom Shop 69 pickups for the strat.
    Where did you get the work done ? Was it at Warners Bay ?

Yep, Warners Bay.

He had a bit of time so he did it while I was there and I didn't have to leave the guitar which was awesome.

I played a Gibson SG today. They look like they would scare small children but play ability wise have to admit I was impressed.
    On spec they look similar to a Les Paul but feel and sound completely different.

given the music I like I should own one but just can't get past the look of them.

No Stairway.

From the Beeb:

Guitarist Jimmy Page and singer Robert Plant are expected to give evidence at the civil case in Los Angeles.

They are accused of lifting the song's opening notes from Taurus, a 1967 track by the band Spirit.

Page, 72, and Plant, 67, are being sued by a trust acting for a founding member of Spirit who died in 1997.

The case began with the jury being played various performances of both songs, including part of Led Zeppelin's recording of Stairway to Heaven.
    And here's the original song:

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I played a Gibson SG today. They look like they would scare small children but play ability wise have to admit I was impressed.
    On spec they look similar to a Les Paul but feel and sound completely different.

given the music I like I should own one but just can't get past the look of them.
    What music are you looking to play? Plenty of other guitars out there if you aren't into the look.

The sound difference to a Les Paul is down to a few factors.

- No Maple Cap
    - Significantly lighter, there is a lot less Mahogany in the body.
    - Depending on the model SG, the pickups can be very different.

What amp would you be playing it into?

What music are you looking to play? Plenty of other guitars out there if you aren't into the look.

The sound difference to a Les Paul is down to a few factors.

- No Maple Cap
    - Significantly lighter, there is a lot less Mahogany in the body.
    - Depending on the model SG, the pickups can be very different.

What amp would you be playing it into?
    I butcher rather than play Stones, Kinks, Who, AC/DC, Van halen... and so on - hence, wouldn't mind something with Humbuckers or similar.
    I use a Blues Cube Artist Amp which is an 80w solid state combo.
    Effects wise I use a MXR Phaser and a Boss Super Overdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    No Stairway.

From the Beeb:

And here's the original song:

Holy shit...... They is in some serious trouble. Then again there is only so many ways to pick an Am G#aug
    Last edited by The Dunster; 15-06-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I butcher rather than play Stones, Kinks, Who, AC/DC, Van halen... and so on - hence, wouldn't mind something with Humbuckers or similar.
    I use a Blues Cube Artist Amp which is an 80w solid state combo.
    Effects wise I use a MXR Phaser and a Boss Super Overdrive.
    If you don't want to drop the full $$$ on a gibson, have a look at Tokai. Japanese made knockoffs that are pretty close to Gibson in feel, sound and quality. They are about half to a third of the price and well worth a look if you don't care about the name on the headstock. Id get one over an epiphone.

I prefer humbuckers, but don't discount something with P-90's in it. Most of the time I don't get along with single coils.

Anyone out there want to part with (or knows someone selling) a mid sized combo? Looking for something along the lines of a Marshall JTM60 (2x12 or 3x10) or Fender Hotrod Deville (4x10).

Current set up is overkill and I need to downsize.

Anyone out there want to part with (or knows someone selling) a mid sized combo? Looking for something along the lines of a Marshall JTM60 (2x12 or 3x10) or Fender Hotrod Deville (4x10).

Current set up is overkill and I need to downsize.
    Have you heard Rivera Combos ? http://www.jacksmusic.com.au/showroo...112-black.html

They are a lot like the amps fender used to make before they sold out in the post Leo years.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 20-06-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster;1***52
    Have you heard Rivera Combos ? http://www.jacksmusic.com.au/showroo...112-black.html

They are a lot like the amps fender used to make before they sold out in the post Leo years.
    I love Rivera stuff, I have their Rockcrusher to tame the volume on my 100W heads. Quality stuff.

Hadn't been looking at their combos though as I'd been looking second hand and hadn't seen anything come up. What does come up seems to really hold its value. Always heaps of Marshall and Fender second hand and the prices reflect that. A JTM60 in good condition seems to be in the $500 ball park, a Rivera would be going $1200 plus.

Haven't ruled out a clone from Ceriatone.

My fall back option is to just get a 2x12 cabinet and then maybe a lower watt head in the future. Although with the Rockcrusher thats not an issue, its more the physical size of the setup I have issues with at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog;1***73
    I love Rivera stuff, I have their Rockcrusher to tame the volume on my 100W heads. Quality stuff.

Hadn't been looking at their combos though as I'd been looking second hand and hadn't seen anything come up. What does come up seems to really hold its value. Always heaps of Marshall and Fender second hand and the prices reflect that. A JTM60 in good condition seems to be in the $500 ball park, a Rivera would be going $1200 plus.

Haven't ruled out a clone from Ceriatone.

My fall back option is to just get a 2x12 cabinet and then maybe a lower watt head in the future. Although with the Rockcrusher thats not an issue, its more the physical size of the setup I have issues with at the moment.
    There is an AC30 Custom Classic on gumtree for $850 http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maryl...ier/1110734496

If I was in the market I'd probably offer them $550 or so given that it's not an original so it's value will fall over time, and it probably will need a retube sooner rather than later, and more importantly it doesn't have the alnico speakers which is a big part of the classic vox sound.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 20-06-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster;1***80
    There is an AC30 Custom Classic on gumtree for $850 http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maryl...ier/1110734496

If I was in the market I'd probably offer them $550 or so given that it's not an original so it's value will fall over time, and it probably will need a retube sooner rather than later, and more importantly it doesn't have the alnico speakers which is a big part of the classic vox sound.
    Ive been looking at that one. For some reason Ive not been able to actually make the jump to buying a Vox, despite a number of guitar players I like using them. The $850 does seem a bit high though.

Every amp I find that I want to buy always ends up being in Castle Hill. Buggered if I am driving that far to test an amp thats probably had a hard life.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster;1***80

Now you have me wanting that Vox. Bit of research and the big trade off between the CC2 in the add v's the newer C2 is;

- the CC2 is a solid 13 ply birch cabinet v's MDF on the C2
    - the CC2 has Walfdale speakers v's the Celestion Greenbacks in the C2
    - Tubes are a lot easier to get at in the C2
    - Tube rectifier in the CC2 v's Solid State in the C2.

Big selling point for me is the birch construction. I don't want an amp thats going to fall apart at the first sign of beer spillage. Speakers can be changed, and the rectifier issue is a matter of taste.

I think I'll throw an offer on the amp.

Now you have me wanting that Vox. Bit of research and the big trade off between the CC2 in the add v's the newer C2 is;

- the CC2 is a solid 13 ply birch cabinet v's MDF on the C2
    - the CC2 has Walfdale speakers v's the Celestion Greenbacks in the C2
    - Tubes are a lot easier to get at in the C2
    - Tube rectifier in the CC2 v's Solid State in the C2.

Big selling point for me is the birch construction. I don't want an amp thats going to fall apart at the first sign of beer spillage. Speakers can be changed, and the rectifier issue is a matter of taste.

I think I'll throw an offer on the amp.
    The first time I heard "I feel Fine" by the Beatles I wanted an AC30.

Love the look and the sound of the LP but hated playing them. Until this last week whereby I finally found 3 that were nice to play.

Hence I've joined the DarkSide with this Tokai LP Custom.

The Japanese electronics are ok but some CTS pots and new pickups down the track should make it a lot better.

Bloody hell.. Looks really nice man!!

Tokai make stuff equal to gibson. What pickups does it have in it?

I'm contemplating doing something really silly and buying an ESP KH2. Ever since my high school days I have wanted a guitar with EMG81's in it, now there is one for sale asking me to buy it.

Tokai make stuff equal to gibson. What pickups does it have in it?

I'm contemplating doing something really silly and buying an ESP KH2. Ever since my high school days I have wanted a guitar with EMG81's in it, now there is one for sale asking me to buy it.
    It has the japanese mk4 vintage tokai humbuckers. ok in crunch or overdrive mode but very muddy for clean stuff.
    ANy suggestions for pickups?

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I had a BC Rich Warlock bass back in the day..
    Can confirm that both it and the user played like sh!t..

I was learning the piano when I was about 7, however learning all of those things was boring and far from fun.. (Although, I curse myself now every day that I didn't stick with it and learn it all properly at that age, I would shred now and actually understand whats going on, instead of just getting drunk and being a hack)
    So while I think that down the track the kid will thank you for the theory lessons (if they can stick with it), I can see why playing songs and music you enjoy at the time is also a lot easier and enjoyable and perhaps open the doors to learning the technical stuff later on..
    www.scottsbasslessons.com

There's still hope...