Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Guitars and Instruments (no stairway)

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Oooooh nice.. I do love the shape of a mustang.. So long as its comfortable for you to play with what you are doing, then that's the main thing..
    Which establishment were you trying these out at?
    Jacks Music - Unfortunately I also tried out a Custom Shop Schecter Shredder and a Larrivee acoustic as well. Wife said "you can buy them all if you want". But I've been in this game for far too long to take the bait that easily.

Not mine yet - but giving it serious consideration. List is around $5k but it's a far better instrument than anything Fender or Gibson currently make.
    Only thing stopping me is I wanted a Floyd type trem so might get another Ibanez Custom Shop if I can't beat the price down suitably on the Schecter
    Last edited by The Dunster; 12-09-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Jacks Music - Unfortunately I also tried out a Custom Shop Schecter Shredder and a Larrivee acoustic as well. Wife said "you can buy them all if you want". But I've been in this game for far too long to take the bait that easily.

Not mine yet - but giving it serious consideration. List is around $5k but it's a far better instrument than anything Fender or Gibson currently make.
    Only thing stopping me is I wanted a Floyd type trem so might get another Ibanez Custom Shop if I can't beat the price down suitably on the Schecter
    Whats the neck like, Ive played a few schecters (bottom end up to about $2,500) and the guitars seem very well made sound good, but the necks haven't been to my taste.

Floyd Rose, I have a love hate relationship with those things.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Whats the neck like, Ive played a few schecters (bottom end up to about $2,500) and the guitars seem very well made sound good, but the necks haven't been to my taste.

Floyd Rose, I have a love hate relationship with those things.
    They have a vintage c profile and a bit of a narrow nut. The radius is 14" rather than compound like you find on similar priced Charvels, and not as flat as a Super Wizard Hp - but a lot more meat / thickness.

On paper I should hate it - the reality is it's very easy to play and has no issues fretting out on bends.

No comparison to the non custom Schecters though - these things are in a different league. It's like comparing an R9 to an Epiphone LP
    Last edited by The Dunster; 13-09-2019 at 12:55 PM.

https://www.gearnews.com/fender-cust...m-instruments/

The Doctors and Lawyers buying them must be horrified to find out their one of a kind masterbuilt Fender Custom Shop guitars are as much of a joke as they are.

Gibson cop all the flack but Fender are just as much of a joke.

Looking at a 1981 Fender Bassman 70 head.

Can anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't? I dont really need another amp, but I always wanted a Bassman.

https://www.gearnews.com/fender-cust...m-instruments/

The Doctors and Lawyers buying them must be horrified to find out their one of a kind masterbuilt Fender Custom Shop guitars are as much of a joke as they are.

Gibson cop all the flack but Fender are just as much of a joke.
    I never bought into the whole relic'd guitar thing. I don't baby my guitars, but dont treat them like crap either. Buying a guitar with half its finish missing just never made sense to me.

Makes sense that they would stencil the wear though. Id never really put any thought into how they achieved the finish, but I guess thats a pretty efficient way to do it.

Looking at a 1981 Fender Bassman 70 head.

Can anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't? I dont really need another amp, but I always wanted a Bassman.

I never bought into the whole relic'd guitar thing. I don't baby my guitars, but dont treat them like crap either. Buying a guitar with half its finish missing just never made sense to me.

Makes sense that they would stencil the wear though. Id never really put any thought into how they achieved the finish, but I guess thats a pretty efficient way to do it.
    Ron Thorn told me a few days ago that the reason they use the stencils is for accuracy and consistency not to cut corners or to save money.
    So basically, they build a guitar to pristine condition then they knock it about using the stencil to make it look old. Fender have jumped the shark - no wonder they can't make a decent guitar anymore. But it's what the khunts that can't play want in their wallflower guitars.

As for 1981 Fender Bassman 70 Head they are ok - but don't have the balls / power of the originals. Still a nice amp though and at a 40th the cost of a tweed bassman pretty good value. Oh and wayyy better than those 59 Bassman reissues - which sound nothing like an original or any of the great copies going around from Achilles and so on.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 17-09-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Ron Thorn told me a few days ago that the reason they use the stencils is for accuracy and consistency not to cut corners or to save money.
    So basically, they build a guitar to pristine condition then they knock it about using the stencil to make it look old. Fender have jumped the shark - no wonder they can't make a decent guitar anymore. But it's what the khunts that can't play want in their wallflower guitars.
    Most of the dings/chips on my guitars tell a story or remind me of something stupid that happened.

Ive worn through the finish on my PL Junior (more because of the crap finish on the guitar), it looks cool, but I could never buy one that had been manufactured worn. The stencils really make sense, and if the guitar wear is not authentic and only there for the aesthetics, then who cares how it got there. Do the people buying them think there is a room full of people playing non stop on the things until they look like a 50 year old guitar?

As for 1981 Fender Bassman 70 Head they are ok - but don't have the balls / power of the originals. Still a nice amp though and at a 40th the cost of a tweed bassman pretty good value. Oh and wayyy better than those 59 Bassman reissues - which sound nothing like an original or any of the great copies going around from Achilles and so on.
    Ive had a message typed out for the seller of the amp, just cant bring myself to push send. Something is holding me back, and I really have always wanted a bassman.

80% of guitars built by the Fender Custom Shop are relic'd. Only 20% of orders are for pristine or un-molested finishes.
    The tragedy here is that Fenders best people and resources are catering for people who more often than not don't even play.
    How long before that trickles down to producing instruments that play like shit but fulfil a required look ?

From what I've sampled in the last few years - it's already happening.

Do it the easy way....

http://www.guitarfacelift.com/

Designed by the late, great Rick Parfitt (RIP)....slap a sticker on and look like Rory, Keef or Rick himself.

I have the Target and the Francis Rossi for Tele.....they look ok.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 18-09-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Found another killer guitar ad on Gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/newc...nez/1228918998

The original price and current prices appear to have an extra zero in them.

Yep, plenty of the higher spec'd versions of those on Reverb for $175.

If you are going to quote the original price, at least show the receipts. Scary thing is, the add show........Recently Sold.

I settled the addiction the only way I know how and bought it yesterday.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 24-09-2019 at 01:31 AM.

That is beautiful.

I settled the addiction the only way I know how and bought it yesterday.
    Looks nice. Got a rundown on the specs?

My son has gone quiet on the issue but he had been hassling me for this.

Fortunately he has gone back to Les Paul Juniors and Melody makers.

Your son is keen asking for a guitar worth that much - does he know they are a special order and can take several years ? There is a used one on reverb for $6k at the moment - new price was $8800.

My Sunset 2 Custom Shop is 25.5" scale, 14" radius, Rosewood on maple, Stainless Jumbo frets, locking tuners, Alder Body, Vintage Trem, graph nut , HSH configured hand made / wound pickups with coil split on tone knob [pull up].

It was owned by D'Addario who,had it on display at Jacks. I made D'Addario an offer and they accepted it.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 25-09-2019 at 11:37 AM.

I'm looking to get rid of some of my low end gear which I just don't use anymore. Put a few ads on Gumtree but Fark me days too many scammers and bottom feeders to deal with so I pulled the pin on the ads.

How do others here go about selling gear ?

I'm looking to get rid of some of my low end gear which I just don't use anymore. Put a few ads on Gumtree but Fark me days too many scammers and bottom feeders to deal with so I pulled the pin on the ads.

How do others here go about selling gear ?
    Ive only ever sold one guitar. I'm a hoarder.

When buying, I look more at facebook market place now.

What are you selling?

Ive only ever sold one guitar. I'm a hoarder.

When buying, I look more at facebook marketplace now.

What are you selling?
    I'm not on facebook - maybe I need to get something going on there just for music.

I have a 2014 Squier Classic Vibe Strat in Sherwood Green, and a Roland Blues Cube Artist Amp with three tone capsules [Ny Blues, Ultimate Blues, and Robben Ford Capsules]

I got these when I first started playing to see how I liked guitar and if I could make the transition from playing left handed to right handed.
    Turns out I could - so then I started buying better gear and so the budget gear just doesn't get used anymore.

In the past I have sold a few pedals and a telecaster around 3 years ago - but since that time I've found it near impossible to sell anything because of too many dickheds on Gumtree with zero dollars and a matching level of intelligence either not showing or showing with less money than agreed upon.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 26-09-2019 at 10:12 PM.

Fender are bringing back the HM Strat https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2020-l...hm-strat-2020/

Best thing they have announced in a very long time. I'll be all over one of these as soon as they are released.

Only downside is limited run of 300 guitars and could cost a bomb which would turn me off as Fender are really only a b grade instrument maker these days even at the custom shop level.

Last edited by The Dunster; 14-01-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Any bass players here members of scottsbasslessons.com?
    I'm talking paid subscribers to the Academy...not just the regular emails.

PM me and let me know if you've tried with the new Players Path and what you think of it.
    What Level did you start on etc.