Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitars and Instruments (no stairway)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I take it you have a Mark 5 or had one?

So the talk about being difficult to work on is correct?
    In the early 90’s my teacher had a mkIII (or was it 4). I’ve seen a few. Ands with those and they sound great.

As for working on them, it’s probably like new Marshall’s (and most amps), printed circuit boards with small tracks. Possible to work on, but a pain in the bum.

Ive spoken to a few techs who don’t like working on Marshall’s post JCM900. Circuit boards to me don’t necessarily sound worse, they are just done for mass production and unlike point to point, not always repairable.

I’d rather by a hand wired clone by ceriatone, although I don’t think they do a Mesa clone.

Took me nearly 40 years but finally I managed to get a near mint condition copy of the 1977 triple vinyl Consequences by Kevin Godley and Lol Creme - gave it the going over last night. Would be hard work on the casual listener but phenomenal inventiveness (eg - putting mics either side of a dummy head and burying it with sand so it sounds like being buried alive). And Peter Cook doing the voices just makes it something different. It is such a complex work that it has its own podcast!

Of course - this was meant to be the launchpad for their invention, the Gizmo. There are some amazing sounds from the device on the first disc in particular. The album didn't sell and the first Gizmo company went bust. It was used by Page and McCartney but the next wave of synths put paid to its longevity.

Only found out recently that it has been redesigned and relaunched....https://www.gizmotron.com

Still a pain in the arse to mount but would be fun playing around.

Consequences was an album that needed to be made at least 5 years earlier - by 1977 that sort of thing had absolutely no chance competing with the end of disco, or the full force of the Punk movement.

I can understand how difficult it would be to obtain - as I can't recall seeing a copy for probably 40 years.

Funny you should say that as Peter Cook knocked back Great Rock n Roll Swindle to work on this album.

I think I’d just grab an ebow rather than throw all that on a guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    I think I’d just grab an ebow rather than throw all that on a guitar.
    I read a review that said you should have a dedicated Gizmo guitar!

An eBow just does one string at a time apparently - this can do the lot and physically bows the strings. Very 1970's but some of the sounds it created back then were amazing. Of its time.

Unless it's a BC Rich with Floyd Rose and EMG's it's probably shit.

Here we go again:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/eler...ld-/1224737966

It's Chinese, it's not old, it's not rare, and it wouldn't be worth a quarter of what this bloke is asking for.

Here we go again:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/eler...ld-/1224737966

It's Chinese, it's not old, it's not rare, and it wouldn't be worth a quarter of what this bloke is asking for.
    I hear you. Some crazy stuff for sale out there.

I put this in the same boat. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fing...top/1223625371

If this was Orville by Gibson, I may actually be very tempted to jump on it for a little less. But a straight Orville, half that at best.

I hear you. Some crazy stuff for sale out there.

I put this in the same boat. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fing...top/1223625371

If this was Orville by Gibson, I may actually be very tempted to jump on it for a little less. But a straight Orville, half that at best.
    If it's from the Terada Factory and has the long tenon join and Nitro finish the price is fair. But if it has the short tenon, Poly Finish, and Asian PAF copies and electronics it's maybe a $1000 guitar.

What worries me is that thie Orville went out of production in 1999 - this does not look like it's 20 years old.

If it's from the Terada Factory and has the long tenon join and Nitro finish the price is fair. But if it has the short tenon, Poly Finish, and Asian PAF copies and electronics it's maybe a $1000 guitar.

What worries me is that thie Orville went out of production in 1999 - this does not look like it's 20 years old.
    From my research Orville are Poly Finish and cheap(er) components. I believe Orville was actually rebadged as epiphone and moved to Korea ,

Orville by Gibson however are Nitro with USA spec electronics. These are said to be every bit as good as a gibson.

The one linked is doesn't appear to be an Orville by Gibson. The Headstock logo lacks the "by Gibson" part and it looks like no nibs on the frets (a refret could account for this, but the guitar doesn't look played enough to warrant a refret). The gold top finish also covers a bunch of binding on the neck. I'll be passing, really want a gold top though

From my research Orville are Poly Finish and cheap(er) components. I believe Orville was actually rebadged as epiphone and moved to Korea ,

Orville by Gibson however are Nitro with USA spec electronics. These are said to be every bit as good as a gibson.

The one linked is doesn't appear to be an Orville by Gibson. The Headstock logo lacks the "by Gibson" part and it looks like no nibs on the frets (a refret could account for this, but the guitar doesn't look played enough to warrant a refret). The gold top finish also covers a bunch of binding on the neck. I'll be passing, really want a gold top though
    I've seen a few of each type and apart from the nitro and the electronics the "by Gibson" and plain Orville are pretty much equivalent.
    Two factories made them - one Terada, the other Fujigen.
    Neither of them are as good as early Tokai, Aria Pro II, and Greco - but Tokai prices now are well over $10k for the best examples.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 31-07-2019 at 01:54 PM.

This ones reset the bar on being ridiculously overpriced:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/thor...ise/1222658065

Looking at picking this amp and cab up for my daughter. Amp SVT-3 Pro with an Ampeg 6x10 cab.

Got any input Bon, good deal, bad idea???

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4065231953973/

Looking at picking this amp and cab up for my daughter. Amp SVT-3 Pro with an Ampeg 6x10 cab.

Got any input Bon, good deal, bad idea???

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4065231953973/
    Hmmm.. It looks like a real good deal..
    Normally a second hand SVT3-Pro will be going for that price by itself, without the 6x10 included!

The only issue I'd have, and it isnt even sound related, is that a 6x10 is a big fvcken box to have to lug about. I used one back in the day and it was a real prick to get up/down stairs, in and out of the back of the ute, etc..
    Also, at that price, I'd be having a good look over the whole thing and making sure it works.. hahaha..

Let me know if you get it..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Hmmm.. It looks like a real good deal..
    Normally a second hand SVT3-Pro will be going for that price by itself, without the 6x10 included!

The only issue I'd have, and it isnt even sound related, is that a 6x10 is a big fvcken box to have to lug about. I used one back in the day and it was a real prick to get up/down stairs, in and out of the back of the ute, etc..
    Also, at that price, I'd be having a good look over the whole thing and making sure it works.. hahaha..

Let me know if you get it..
    My concern is the price as well, seems cheap. I'm assuming a speaker issue or three (with no reason for that assumption). I guess they could be replaced. Going to line up to play it can check the amp over. Amp looks in good condition, the cab not so much, but with that much weight it takes nothing to tear the tolex.

I know about the weight of the 6x10, its only getting it in/out of the car that's the issue. Wheels should make it easier than the 2x15 cab I used to lug playing bass (or my 4x12 without wheels).

Part of me says get it, ditch the cab and get a light 4x10. Ive read the SVT-3 Pros are pretty reliable. Its got four 12AX7 and one 12AU7 tube, Ive got heaps of those spare so can replace them straight up. Pre amp tubes should last a long time though (compared to power amp tubes).

I'll let you know how we go with it. My daughter is desperate for it, to the point of wanting to part with her own money.

My concern is the price as well, seems cheap. I'm assuming a speaker issue or three (with no reason for that assumption). I guess they could be replaced. Going to line up to play it can check the amp over. Amp looks in good condition, the cab not so much, but with that much weight it takes nothing to tear the tolex.

I know about the weight of the 6x10, its only getting it in/out of the car that's the issue. Wheels should make it easier than the 2x15 cab I used to lug playing bass (or my 4x12 without wheels).

Part of me says get it, ditch the cab and get a light 4x10. Ive read the SVT-3 Pros are pretty reliable. Its got four 12AX7 and one 12AU7 tube, Ive got heaps of those spare so can replace them straight up. Pre amp tubes should last a long time though (compared to power amp tubes).

I'll let you know how we go with it. My daughter is desperate for it, to the point of wanting to part with her own money.
    I spent a long time searching for a decent SVT-4 Pro head..
    Well, you can find them, but I didn't want to pay brand-new prices for second hand goods.. haha

Good luck with it mate.. As I said, even just for the head and the cab becomes spare parts, its still a very good price..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I spent a long time searching for a decent SVT-4 Pro head..
    Well, you can find them, but I didn't want to pay brand-new prices for second hand goods.. haha

Good luck with it mate.. As I said, even just for the head and the cab becomes spare parts, its still a very good price..
    My mate in Sydney with an SVT-4 Pro said exactly the same thing.

any known issues with the head I should look out for?

I'm thinking of getting a Bass guitar. Is it basically just a real guitar without the b and small e string ?

I'm primarily a keyboard player that dabbles in guitar but would like to use a real bass rather than keyboard for bass parts in recordings.

It will be played through an interface so I don't need an amp. Any suggestions ?

I'm thinking of getting a Bass guitar. Is it basically just a real guitar without the b and small e string ?
    Yes normal tuning is just EADG.

I have a Fender Jazz that I love, one of the Mexican made ones through so was only around $1000.