Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitars and Instruments (no stairway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM1VK8xgl38

For anyone that wants to feel vastly inferior about their music abilities.

Here is an 8 yr old Frano playing guitar with his hero Tommy Emmanuel. Unbelievable that a kid so young can play so well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    It has the japanese mk4 vintage tokai humbuckers. ok in crunch or overdrive mode but very muddy for clean stuff.
    ANy suggestions for pickups?
    In my Les Paul I have Gibson 490 and 498 pickups, my ES 339 as a Classic 57 Set. Both good, but the Les Paul is a lot hotter.

Seymour Duncan Peary gates could be a good option, what sound are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    In my Les Paul I have Gibson 490 and 498 pickups, my ES 339 as a Classic 57 Set. Both good, but the Les Paul is a lot hotter.

Seymour Duncan Peary gates could be a good option, what sound are you looking for?
    I want a little more top end on the clean sound - the rest I can get with a pedal or two.

Obviously not expecting the glassy sound of my strats but the Japanese pickups really struggle to separate the notes of any chord when on the neck pick up.

I was thinking about the Seymour Duncan 59's or the Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary.

Will probably buy from the states as well given the prices here for Seymour Duncan's is off the charts. Musoscorner as an example are double the price I can get em shipped from USA to my door. More than likely the importer / distributor is giving everyone a caning on price and the music shops don't have a choice.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 10-08-2016 at 06:25 PM.

I want a little more top end on the clean sound - the rest I can get with a pedal or two.

Obviously not expecting the glassy sound of my strats but the Japanese pickups really struggle to separate the notes of any chord when on the neck pick up.

I was thinking about the Seymour Duncan 59's or the Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary.

Will probably buy from the states as well given the prices here for Seymour Duncan's is off the charts. Musoscorner as an example are double the price I can get em shipped from USA to my door. More than likely the importer / distributor is giving everyone a caning on price and the music shops don't have a choice.
    Duncan 59's are good. Look up the Pearly Gates as well.

I think the Gibson 57's may fit your bill. Lots of options.

I wouldn't buy Duncan in this country. They keep stuff all in stock, so you wait months (I'm not kidding) for it and pay a premium. On line is the go for sure. I tried getting Seymour Duncan Antiquities for my Strat and Jag and the guitar shop basically said if they don't have them in stock, don't bother. I went with fender Custom Shop stuff.

So, this accidentally came home with me today. Not my usual style of instrument, but I have wanted one of these since the Black Album came out. ESP KH-2.

Guitar came with the original ESP case, which is as nice as my two gibson cases. I do love a good case. COA has been long lost though, shame as I like that sort of stuff.

This is with my 6 year olds KH Junior.

Nice guitar. I've seen these for LP Standard type prices on Reverb.com. Or am I thinking of a different version ?

Nice guitar. I've seen these for LP Standard type prices on Reverb.com. Or am I thinking of a different version ?
    From what I am finding on the net, they are going second hand in the US for more like 2 - 3 times that I paid. ESP in Japan have verified the guitar and its manufacture year, and the different serial numbers on the headstock and neck plate so I think I just got a bargain

Brand new, LP Standard and above on price.

Very different guitar to my LP Standard, as you would expect. But it is such a nice feeling and playing guitar. Makes a lot of other guitars of a similar style that I have played (mainly Ibanez) feel like toys in your hands.

Its a keeper for sure.

Have you heard of Kurosawagakki in Japan ? http://www.kurosawagakki.com

Really good service and some top notch products on offer.

My brother bought a guitar years ago and it's apparently sat in it's case for all but two days since then. I think I am going to pick it up and try to learn how to play.

Any tips/tutorials/resources for self teaching online?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    My brother bought a guitar years ago and it's apparently sat in it's case for all but two days since then. I think I am going to pick it up and try to learn how to play.Any tips/tutorials/resources for self teaching online?
    Do it. It is very rewarding to be able to make music and probably one of the best things for relaxation I know of.

TO learn to play you need to devote a minimum of 40 mins a day, 7 days a week towards structured practice.
    Those who do less usually give up playing within a few months or so.
    The most important thing is that you always make your time on the guitar constructive and for that you need a structured lesson plan.

The Beginner course at Justin Guitar is free and very good.

http://www.justinguitar.com/
    Last edited by The Dunster; 26-08-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Beautiful, thank you. Exactly what I was after and my own google searches had mixed results and ad filled horror sites.

I went hunting for a new telecaster and this was the result.

John Page Classic AJ. it's probably not going to hold value like a vintage Tele or a custom shop but it's that good I can't see myself ever selling it anyway.

[img][urlhttps://flic.kr/p/LdU6x9]

I'm not a tele guy, but that is nice. Hows it sound/play?

Must be my turn to buy something? I am eyeing off a second hand mexican tele, but its got EMG81's in it, so its a tele by looks only. Problem is, there is a Clone of a Marshall Plexi Super Lead I am eyeing off. Can probably get one, definitely not both......which way to go?

John Page Classic AJ. it's probably not going to hold value like a vintage Tele or a custom shop but it's that good I can't see myself ever selling it anyway.
    I don't buy my guitars thinking about resale. I know my Les Paul Standard is worth a lot more than when i bought it, but the rest of them I couldn't see increasing.

I'm not a tele guy, but that is nice. Hows it sound/play?

Must be my turn to buy something? I am eyeing off a second hand mexican tele, but its got EMG81's in it, so its a tele by looks only. Problem is, there is a Clone of a Marshall Plexi Super Lead I am eyeing off. Can probably get one, definitely not both......which way to go?
    I played mine a few weeks ago for a few hours before I bought it. Went back a fortnight later -played it for an hour and a half again and pulled the pin on one. Best tele I have ever played.

Last edited by The Dunster; 13-09-2016 at 11:58 PM.

Only two people on this forum have guitar pics to post - no wonder the clubs heading towards another spoon.

I went for US strat w humbucker. can do clean or jump back into Seattle 90's

Last edited by hawk; 07-11-2016 at 09:04 PM.

Only two people on this forum have guitar pics to post - no wonder the clubs heading towards another spoon.
    When it all inevitably goes to shit, at least I can play guitar.

I may have bought another that amp in my last post as well.

A Ceriatone hand wired clone of a 50W Plexi with a 1968 circuit. Unbelievable sound with the Les Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    I went for US strat w humbucker. can do clean or jump back into Seattle 90's

Nice. I think if I was getting strat again it would have to have thew humbucker in the bridge. Ive never been able to get on with the bridge sound in my strat, which is a shame as its an awesome playing guitar.

Nice. I think if I was getting strat again it would have to have thew humbucker in the bridge. Ive never been able to get on with the bridge sound in my strat, which is a shame as its an awesome playing guitar.
    Hawks chosen well - he could play pretty much anything on that guitar. I rarely if ever even use the bridge single coil on my Strat. However, on my G&l S-500 it has a MFD single coil at the bridge which is high output and passable enough.
    My Les Paul Custom though I mostly use the bridge pickup on as it sounds awesome - especially playing Foo Fighters and that sorta thing.