Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitars and Instruments (no stairway)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I went hunting for a new telecaster and this was the result.

John Page Classic AJ. it's probably not going to hold value like a vintage Tele or a custom shop but it's that good I can't see myself ever selling it anyway.

[img][urlhttps://flic.kr/p/LdU6x9]
    mate took one of these last week. He is in love. doesnt sleep anymore.

looking for a smaller body semi acou under 1k. so many to choose from

For about a year now, I've been keeping my eye out for any Spector basses going for sale. Got lucky on Thursday and saw two that I purchased from the same seller on eBay..
    A Spector NSJ2 Special Edition walnut, and a Spector Euro LX5 green.. (I used pictures from online, as this damn forum wouldnt let me upload the pics I took myself)
    I organised to drive down to Sydney to pick them up and exchange the cash on Saturday.
    I'd never bought anything worth that much online, so was a little nervous and hesitant about rocking up to a random place with a large amount of cheddar in the wallet..
    Knocked on the door of the house, and it was opened by this older guy, nicest dude ever.. Explained he had heaps of basses and that he just wanted some of them go to someone that would use and enjoy them..
    He told me to check some of his stuff out online when I got home and just to look up his name..
    Turns out it was Harry Brus from Australian Crawl!! (Also played for Jimmy Barnes, Billy Thorpe, Blackfeather, etc)
    Pretty damn stoked.. Gave me an awesome deal too, what a legend!

Bass Wanker

OK

Nice Basses Bon.

Harry Brus is an awesome bass player and a very good guitarist and Keyboard player as well. He's best known for being Kevin Borich's bass player.
    I remember him mostly playing Fender P Basses.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 06-02-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Nice Basses Bon.

Harry Brus is an awesome bass player and a very good guitarist and Keyboard player as well. He's best known for being Kevin Borich's bass player.
    I remember him mostly playing Fender P Basses.
    He showed me his white Spector (his fave), absolutely beautiful bass...
    When i checked online, I found this video of him going batshit on it:

So after a month of indecision and weighing up the pros/cons, I finally decided to purchase this badboy:

Fender Bassman Pro 300 head.. (Basically a re-badged Sunn 300T).. With a Fender Bassman Pro 4x10 box..
    The tone that comes out of it...
    HOWEVER..
    Being all tube, its a wide and heavy bastard..
    I've already had some issues with fuses blowing (due to one of the 6 x 6550 power tubes eating a dick), however I have a good mate that knows his way around that stuff who is all about fingering it..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    So after a month of indecision and weighing up the pros/cons, I finally decided to purchase this badboy:

Fender Bassman Pro 300 head.. (Basically a re-badged Sunn 300T).. With a Fender Bassman Pro 4x10 box..
    The tone that comes out of it...
    HOWEVER..
    Being all tube, its a wide and heavy bastard..
    I've already had some issues with fuses blowing (due to one of the 6 x 6550 power tubes eating a dick), however I have a good mate that knows his way around that stuff who is all about fingering it..
    Love Fender Bass amps - awesome with guitars as well as basses.

Check out Evatco for tubes - everything they sell is guaranteed and they test what they sell using modern testing equipment - unlike the idiots on Ebay.

http://www.evatco.com.au/

Matched sets of Tung-sols for under $400.

http://www.evatco.com.au/product-lis...atched-sextet/
    Last edited by The Dunster; 11-05-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Love Fender Bass amps - awesome with guitars as well as basses.

Check out Evatco for tubes - everything they sell is guaranteed and they test what they sell using modern testing equipment - unlike the idiots on Ebay.

http://www.evatco.com.au/

Matched sets of Tung-sols for under $400.

http://www.evatco.com.au/product-lis...atched-sextet/
    Thanks for the link mate..
    I've replaced a pair of them, just need to pick up one of the 110mA fuses for that pair from Jaycar on the way home this arvo..
    Then the afore mentioned mate will come round to bias it, and then in theory will be fine to gig with.. In theory..

Thanks for the link mate..
    I've replaced a pair of them, just need to pick up one of the 110mA fuses for that pair from Jaycar on the way home this arvo..
    Then the afore mentioned mate will come round to bias it, and then in theory will be fine to gig with.. In theory..
    It will be fine. These amps are pretty much bullet proof.

One tip though - never turn it on unless it's connected to a speaker / cabinet. The reason is that if the unit is not coupled then it places a lot of stress on the output transformer.

With tubes blowing it's usually a case of being biased too hot which places stress on the tube and decreases the load on the output transformer.

Trick is find the middle ground where both the transformer and the tubes are both happy. Easily solved with a multimeter.

Any of you you know of a good 2x12 guitar amp someone is trying to off-load?

I'm thinking AC30 (not the current version made from mdf)

I'm getting old and lugging the Marshall and a 4x12 just isn't fun anymore.

It will be fine. These amps are pretty much bullet proof.

One tip though - never turn it on unless it's connected to a speaker / cabinet. The reason is that if the unit is not coupled then it places a lot of stress on the output transformer.

With tubes blowing it's usually a case of being biased too hot which places stress on the tube and decreases the load on the output transformer.

Trick is find the middle ground where both the transformer and the tubes are both happy. Easily solved with a multimeter.
    I've blown an amp before from miss matching speaker impedance. Not fun.

I get my tubes from Eurotubes. Never had a problem, but second the call to make sure it's biased properly.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Any of you you know of a good 2x12 guitar amp someone is trying to off-load?

I'm thinking AC30 (not the current version made from mdf)

I'm getting old and lugging the Marshall and a 4x12 just isn't fun anymore.
    There is a Hand Wired version of the AC30 available as well which is based on the original. with birch ply cabinetry. It's model No. is AC30HW2X

http://www.bettermusic.com.au/vox-ac...-blue-speakers

You can get them a lot cheaper than that link as well.

Last edited by The Dunster; 23-05-2017 at 12:46 PM.

There is a Hand Wired version of the AC30 available as well which is based on the original. with birch ply cabinetry. It's model No. is AC30HW2X

http://www.bettermusic.com.au/vox-ac...-blue-speakers

You can get them a lot cheaper than that link as well.

Ive just decided in the end to get a 2x12 cabinet with Vintage 30's and use my Hand Wired Plexi Clone 50W head.

Gives me more options in the future if I want to change amps. Plus its cheaper in the short term, the Orange Cabs are a very good price.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Ive just decided in the end to get a 2x12 cabinet with Vintage 30's and use my Hand Wired Plexi Clone 50W head.

Gives me more options in the future if I want to change amps. Plus its cheaper in the short term, the Orange Cabs are a very good price.
    You must be playing decent size venues - even through a 2x12 a 50w Marshall / Plexi has some serious volume to get it sounding right.

Do you have something else to play around on at home or do you run a load box to tame the beast like a Rivera Mini Rock ?
    I love Marshalls on albums but from a personal standpoint I could never get them to work unless they were almost ready to explode my ear drums.

You must be playing decent size venues - even through a 2x12 a 50w Marshall / Plexi has some serious volume to get it sounding right.

Do you have something else to play around on at home or do you run a load box to tame the beast like a Rivera Mini Rock ?
    I love Marshalls on albums but from a personal standpoint I could never get them to work unless they were almost ready to explode my ear drums.
    Rivera Rock Crusher.

I also have a 100W JCM900 head and a 70's 150W Baez. The attenuator is a must, none of my amps work at home volumes without it. Even at gigs it is used to knock a few decibels off the volume.

I just installed a TonePros TB3T on to my Tokai Les Paul Custom. Noticeable improvement over the original bridge with it's rattling retainer wire.

Last edited by The Dunster; 24-05-2017 at 07:47 PM.

And for anyone wanting to know how to remove the old bushings from a Tunomatic bridge:

Any of you boys using any pedals or effects in your rigs? (I know that Dunster, being the purist that he is, may have something to say about/against them? haha)

Any of you boys using any pedals or effects in your rigs? (I know that Dunster, being the purist that he is, may have something to say about/against them? haha)
    I guess the pedals you use depend on the amp you use and the music you play.

If I am running the Marshall JCM900 head, generally I wont run any pedals, maybe a wah.

If I'm using the Plexi clone, I will use a bunch of different pedals, but only as boosts and colouration to my main sound. That said, I can be a bit of a pedal whore. My pedal board currently has;

BBE Supa Charger Power Supply
    Dunlop Wah
    Old Fuzz Face (Germanium Diode) (Fuzz)
    Fulldrive OCD Clone (Overdrive)
    Way Huge Red Llama (Overdrive)
    Wage Huge Swollen Pickle (Fuzz)
    MXR ABY Box

Then in my rack I have a Korg Tuner and my Rivera Rockcrusher.

I have an old Digitec Whammy II that I don;t use, but its pretty cool when the mood strikes. One of those things that I am not really sure why I bought it, I hardly use it, but wont get rid of it.