Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitars and Instruments (no stairway)

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Any of you boys using any pedals or effects in your rigs? (I know that Dunster, being the purist that he is, may have something to say about/against them? haha)
    Ok. This what I am currently running with a Roland Blues Cube Artist

BBE Mindbender - Chorus / Vibrato
    BBE Two Timer - Analog Delay
    BBE Blacksmith - Distortion
    BBE 427 - Distortion [This replaced a Boss SD-1 - which I could never get to sound right with this amp]
    MXR - Phase 90
    BBE PSU
    Out of that lot the Two-Timer / Analog delay is pretty much used 95% of the time. I rarely if ever use reverb or tremelo
    The distortion pedals are really only used when I need to keep the volume down and don't run it through the drive channel
    The Phase 90 Can sound amazing or totally shit depending on your rig and where you put it. For me it's got to be the first pedal in the chain and must go directly into the distortion pedals or directly to the drive channel.
    The analog delay and Chorus / Vibrato go directly to the fx loop.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Ok. This what I am currently running with a Roland Blues Cube Artist

BBE Mindbender - Chorus / Vibrato
    BBE Two Timer - Analog Delay
    BBE Blacksmith - Distortion
    BBE 427 - Distortion [This replaced a Boss SD-1 - which I could never get to sound right with this amp]
    MXR - Phase 90
    BBE PSU
    Out of that lot the Two-Timer / Analog delay is pretty much used 95% of the time. I rarely if ever use reverb or tremelo
    The distortion pedals are really only used when I need to keep the volume down and don't run it through the drive channel
    The Phase 90 Can sound amazing or totally shit depending on your rig and where you put it. For me it's got to be the first pedal in the chain and must go directly into the distortion pedals or directly to the drive channel.
    The analog delay and Chorus / Vibrato go directly to the fx loop.
    Boss SD-1!!

how good was that in the 90's

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Boss SD-1!!

Very popular especially as a boost pedal. Mine sounded awesome running with a 59 Bassman but could never get it to fire up with my current amp.

You can still buy them for like $60 new which is incredible value.

What I found though is they don't like super clean amps - they much prefer to go into something that's on the verge of breaking up.

Boss SD-1!!

I picked up a modded SD-1 for my son. He loves it.

I'm actually after an Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, and a Radial Head VT. Once I have those, my pedal quest is over.

Very popular especially as a boost pedal. Mine sounded awesome running with a 59 Bassman but could never get it to fire up with my current amp.

You can still buy them for like $60 new which is incredible value.

What I found though is they don't like super clean amps - they much prefer to go into something that's on the verge of breaking up.
    But who wants a super clean amp anyway? What good can come from a super clean amp?

None.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    I'm actually after an Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, and a Radial Head VT. Once I have those, my pedal quest is over.
    The last thing I purchased was a Tone Pros Bridge for my Tokai Les Paul. Prior to that the last guitar I bought was back in September 2016 [which is a record for me and probably has local music shops looking to lay off staff if I don't get my act together soon.

Pedal wise I might add a compressor in the future but I'm not in a rush to do so.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 01-06-2017 at 11:06 PM.

It's been nearly a year since I last pulled the pin on a new guitar. Today I went and played a few Gibson Hummingbirds [reissues]. For a $7000 guitar I cannot believe how cheap they feel. The build on them is ok but if you closed your eyes you would not think they were an expensive guitar. Sound wise - they are very bright but also have a bit of bottom end as well - but it's a sound you either love or hate.
    Overall, I prefer Collings, Cole Clark, Maton Custom, and Larrivee acoustics.

Anyone here played or own any Gibson acoustics ? I might have just played some duds.

It's been nearly a year since I last pulled the pin on a new guitar. Today I went and played a few Gibson Hummingbirds [reissues]. For a $7000 guitar I cannot believe how cheap they feel. The build on them is ok but if you closed your eyes you would not think they were an expensive guitar. Sound wise - they are very bright but also have a bit of bottom end as well - but it's a sound you either love or hate.
    Overall, I prefer Collings, Cole Clark, Maton Custom, and Larrivee acoustics.

Anyone here played or own any Gibson acoustics ? I might have just played some duds.
    I assume you've played the same ones I have. They don't do it for me, but I know a few people raving about them.

Ive actually been fighting the urge to make a cheap guitar purchase off Gumtree. A 2011 Gibson Explorer Melody Maker. Mahogony neck, backed maple fretboard, maple body and a single pickup. $650.

I still think I should hold out for a LP Junior

The LP Juniors with the single P90 kick arse. They had one awhile ago at Jack [Music Headquarters] not sure it is still there or not but it was under a grand which I guess is pretty good.

The LP Juniors with the single P90 kick arse. They had one awhile ago at Jack [Music Headquarters] not sure it is still there or not but it was under a grand which I guess is pretty good.
    I'm in there twice a week for kids lessons, and Ive not seen one, so I guess its long gone. But thats exactly what I want.

Ive not seen on e recently for under $1,300 unless its a 2015 model, and thats a year I'm staying clear of.

I'm in there twice a week for kids lessons, and Ive not seen one, so I guess its long gone. But thats exactly what I want.

Ive not seen on e recently for under $1,300 unless its a 2015 model, and thats a year I'm staying clear of.
    The one I played was red in colour and a trade in - so 2nd hand - but in good condition. Was probably close to a year ago now though come to think of it.

Both good, but the Les Paul is a lot hotter.
    Last edited by online; 04-01-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by online View Post
    Both good, but the Les Paul is a lot hotter.
    Which model / year Les Paul are you saying is hotter ? You do realise they originally came with single coils on them and that the Humbuckers came later ?

Which model / year Les Paul are you saying is hotter ? You do realise they originally came with single coils on them and that the Humbuckers came later ?
    Not sure if he means hotter as in output, or that a LP Standard is a better (hotter) guitar than a Melody Maker or LP Junior.

I have a Les Paul, no need for a second one....unless it has P90's or Mini Humbuckers.

I did score myself an AC30 Handwired Head though. It is insane, now I can't work out why I waited so long to get a Vox.

Looking for opinions/options/suggestions.

I need a 2x12 cab as I am not moving around a 4x12 anymore. My son can have that when he is older.

I want something with Celestion Green Backs and it will only be used with my AC30 and 50W Plexi so the power handling only needs to be 50W. If I have to drag the JCM900 out, I'll drag the 4x12.

The Marshall 2x12 uses either V30's of GT-75's.
    Orange use V30's
    Two Rock are over priced as are the Rivera Cabs.

the only production cab I can find with Greenback speakers is the Vox 2x12. Happy with that except its MDF. Now I'm not all corksniffing over the sound qualities of MDF v Ply construction. I'm more concerned about weight and more importantly longevity of the cab. MDF isn't good with moisture and Ive been known to spill beers playing and its not always clear weather to transport back to the car.

Any other suggestions or should I just go the Vox?

disappointing how electrical and sound equipment is housed in mdf. ply at least

disappointing how electrical and sound equipment is housed in mdf. ply at least
    Id hate to think how much spilt beer an MDF cab would soak out of a pub carpet. I'm thinking Custom Built from Birch Ply. A guy in sydney does them for reasonable prices. There is nothing second hand, well not with the Greenbacks I want.

Marshall has finally gone back to ply for the 1936 cabinet, Vox just went the other way with all their amps.

Id hate to think how much spilt beer an MDF cab would soak out of a pub carpet. I'm thinking Custom Built from Birch Ply. A guy in sydney does them for reasonable prices. There is nothing second hand, well not with the Greenbacks I want.

Marshall has finally gone back to ply for the 1936 cabinet, Vox just went the other way with all their amps.
    What about the Rivera K212 ? They are built like tanks and come with Celestions.

http://www.rivera.com/product/cabinets/sedona-115-ext/

What about the Rivera K212 ? They are built like tanks and come with Celestions.

http://www.rivera.com/product/cabinets/sedona-115-ext/
    I like the rivera stuff, but I don't like the price premium is comes with. I played the V30 version with my 50W Plexi and really really liked it, but it was very pricey compared to similar cabs. I do own some Rivera gear and its quality, but for a cab thats only going to be beat up gigging, I'm not looking top of the line.

I think if I wanted V30's Id jump on a second hand orange cab.

I'm really set on Greenbacks though as its primarily for a Vox AC30-HW head. I looked at Alnico Blues, but actually liked the dirtier Greenbacks. Id just grab a Vox cab if they weren't MDF.

So I was listen to a song the other day and a dude was singing and in the background there was some guitar playing. I immediately thought to myself ‘man that sounds like Mark Knopfler’.

Anyway after looking it up it was indeed him, so it got me thinking: just by tone/style etc who do you think is the most recognisable guitarist going around?

Obviously everyone gonna have wayyyy different tastes etc, but is there anyone, no matter what they are playing that you say ‘ahhh that’s him’.

Coz in contemporary music I’d prob say Knopfler, the dude from U2 and maybe Angus Young come to mind.

Anyone else?