Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Martin Lee OUT

Wollongong and Canberra should have come first. The Fux fixation with Syd/Mel derbies will kill this league. You need more than 6 teams to have a competition.

Melbourne has struggled with 2 clubs, let alone 3. Don't think Macarthur will be anything better than the Mariners either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I've been thinking quite hard about our situation for the last few weeks and I'm genuinely concerned about our long-term viability. The club is starting to again develop the same stench we have had with previous owners, with the obvious cost-cutting approach again consigning us to being run on the smell of an oily rag.

While I'm not saying that Ledman Group are not paying their bills or their players, but we aren't actively investing in the structure of the club. Youth coach leaves, assistant coach leaves, meeting minimum requirements for squad size, willingness to let a forward leave unpaid to pursue a rap career, removing the links with Everything Football. As one-off instances it's not an issue, but as a broader picture it's all about balancing the budget. We certainly failed to build on the season of success we had 2 years back.

We know Mr Lee wants to sell the club. So if we get to a point where we need to be bailed out again, I fear this time we won't. There's now interest from would-be expansion clubs and choosing one of them might be the easier option.

What do we actually bring the League? Andrew Howe calculated each team's performance over the last 10 years and unsurprisingly we were the worst performers. We used to be able to rely on our crowds, however we have had a crowd >10000 just once in the last 12 months and the crowd figures are declining despite having 11000 members. These are some of the metrics Wellington were judged by - so when will they apply to us? We can't rely on the often-used argument that "the Hunter is a footballing region and has footballing heritage".

I'm worried the apathy around the club, particularly from the fans, is returning. We've been up and fought for the club before - I wonder if we have it in us to do it all again.
    We always get bought by cheap ass coke heads. Just one good owner please

Quote Originally Posted by traffic light View Post
    We always get bought by cheap ass coke heads. Just one good owner please
    What's wrong with coke heads?

Makes supporting the Jets just a tad better IMO

Soccer Stoppage Time says Australian businessman Nick Nicholas, football person wants to buy 20% stake in the jets. Lee has valued the club at 15M.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_masi View Post
    Soccer Stoppage Time says Australian businessman Nick Nicholas, football person wants to buy 20% stake in the jets. Lee has valued the club at 15M.
    It's not worth $5m ffs.

Me thinks Marty has his decimal point in the wrong spot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Me thinks Marty has his decimal point in the wrong spot.
    Me thinks Nick is suffering some severe delusions more like it

Fancy buying a 20% stake in this club

FMD

Maybe Nick fancies himself as a footballer and would like to have a 20% say in starting himself at the selection table.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_masi View Post
    who??? what is his business? never heard of him...
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    who??? what is his business? never heard of him...
    Quick Google search shows 2 Nick Nicholas

1 is a linguist (cunning or otherwise) and the other a comedian..

Both would be a perfect fit for the Jets.
    Last edited by Hunter403; 21-01-2020 at 04:33 PM.

Anyone who believes anything that comes from Soccer Stoppage Time are out of their mind.

They make up more shit than The Memba does, just for click-bait.

Hunter my friend, you are the comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    the other a comedian..
    Would fit in well with all the other clowns at the jets

Quote Originally Posted by sorefootballer View Post
    Hunter my friend, you are the comedian.
    Thank you, I'll be here all week. Try the fish!
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403;23***6
    I see you

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403;23***6

Banned
    With the impending downtown in relations between China and the rest of the world for Corona any one thinking the Chinese Lightsalesman needs to might shed his involvement with us??

The league is obviously a basket case and the trade war between US and China is gonna heat up so I don't see why he gonna want to piss money down the drain on us going forward

Can't read it because of paywall but Herald article indicates the opposite.

I agree I think we will do very well out of this with Mr Lee

Hoping this is the one Jetmaster is referring to:

APRIL 2 2020 - 8:30PM
    Newcastle Jets owner Martin Lee willing to play the long-haul game
    ROBERT DILLON

NEWCASTLE Jets chief executive Lawrie McKinna says club owner Martin Lee has expressed no intention of bailing out on the Newcastle Jets, despite the prospect of suffering further financial angst during the coronavirus crisis.

Lee has tipped an estimated $15 million into the Jets since buying Newcastle's A-League franchise in July, 2016, and his resources have been stretched thin for the past two years by the impact of US tariffs on his Chinese business empire.

This season is shaping as particularly costly for Lee, given that Newcastle's average crowd (7386) at McDonald Jones Stadium has been their lowest for 10 years and the suspension of the competition means they are likely to miss out on gate-takings from their last two home games.

There has also been mounting speculation that Foxtel is considering walking away from its $56-million-a-year broadcasting deal with the A-League.

On Wednesday, Newcastle followed six of their fellow A-League clubs in standing down players and staff until at least April 22, which is likely to be extended if, as appears almost certain, the season is unable to resume.

McKinna said he was in daily contact with Lee, whose commitment to the club has shown no sign of wavering.

"It's not even been discussed," McKinna said.

"With the restrictions on getting money out of China, it's hard for him, but he's hanging in there."

Lee started exploring the prospect of either selling the Jets or forming a joint venture almost 12 months ago, but nothing concrete came from various expressions of interest.

In the current environment, McKinna said everything was effectively on hold.

"Obviously in the past, we were actively trying to sell the club," he said.

"Martin was open to that. But with what's happening at the moment, that [selling] is off the shelf."

Newcastle's previous two owners, Con Constantine and Nathan Tinkler, both had their franchise licenses terminated when they experienced financial hardship and were unable to pay players and staff.

McKinna said this was a "totally different" scenario, because Football Federation Australia's decision to shut down the competition, on government advice, had caused cash-flow problems for all clubs.

"At the moment we've stood everyone down until April 22nd, which is the date the competition has been postponed until," he said.

"We'll obviously get direction from the FFA and A-League closer to that date.

"There are a lot of things up in the air that are out of our hands.

"We're just waiting to see what happens with FFA and Fox and things like that.

"Hopefully for the good of the game, Fox, FFA, the A-League and PFA can all get together and make it work ... all the clubs rely on the Fox money to pay the wages."

McKinna said a "skeleton staff" of Newcastle's administration personnel will continue working, on reduced hours.

Players have been given individual programs to keep fit in isolation, in the unlikely instance that the season is able to resume.
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...