Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 FFA Cup Round of 32 | Jets v Victory | Wednesday 3/8/16 @730pm

Firstly, credit to the 1956 people who showed up last night. Well done.

However, I'm pissed off because we're out of the cup for the third year in our first match. I really wanted a cup run this year because I think we'd have benefited from it.

The Jets took a while to settle into last night's match and were duly punished. In the second half we also saw Victory take some time to adjust to the howling wind and we scored as well. 3-1 was a flattering scoreline to the Victory.

It's easy to blame the referee but I thought he had a poor night. He was far more lenient to the challenges of Victory than he was the Jets.

Neither side was particularly fluid. I thought our midfield two were very good - Stevie UG in particular. Enjoy seeing him while you can folks because he is far too good for this league. I thought Nabbout offered pace we were lacking last year and played well. Clut and Brown were also impressive.

I continue my chant from last year that Cowburn is not a left back. We strung most of our attack down Hoffman's side, particularly in the first half when Hoole was switched over in front of him. Our defence seemed a bit shaky and I wonder whether that has a bit to do with JP leaving? Not sure.

Tough night for BK. The result and some moments won't silence the debate about his ability to aptly fill the #1 spot and how Miller has decided to recruit in that position. Second and 3rd goal he couldn't do anything about. First goal was a sublime cross. I'd like to see him work on his distribution but lets see how it goes on a pitch that doesn't have the goal square chopped up and not blowing a 90km/hr gale in his face.

I think both teams performances indicated the level of game time and quality of opposition they have played so far. Also, that the Victory team have had 2-3 years all playing together now, as opposed to our entirely new front third.

What I found interesting was the lack of subs and that Brymora was chose over both Pavicevic and Brennan to come on. Perhaps that's a sign of the pecking order.

Nordstrand, Boogaard and Haliti to add some depth once they return.

Not all doom and gloom but I'm not feeling as optimistic as was after last year's performance. Granted we were coming from below rock bottom at that point in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Sensible comments.

Positive though - how good is Brown looking as a goalscoring mid?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Sensible comments.

He is going to be a threat. Put Nordstrand or *new striker* in front of him and there's potential.

We interviewed him for the pod last night and we're all rugged up and the bloke is standing there in a T-Shirt!
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
    Take away dodgy penalty call and could have been a very different result and response!!!
    Yes it would have been 2-1 to Melbourne Victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Sensible comments.

Browns touch is fantastic, and as Miller said he clearly is a more technical player than we are used to.

I actually would like to see him paired in the middle of the park with Steve UG. I think dropping Brown deeper will get him on the ball more and they both have the lungs to play box to box. I think a Ugarkovic/Brown combination could be one of the best in the league.

I also think it's certain Nabbout will start for us. Wouldn't have said so before last night but he clearly has that attacking edge we lacked last year

Also watched a replay of the 3rd Victory goal. WTF were BK and Mullen doing?

1st goal seemed like a similar debacle. This is not a good start for those two.

Who was Andrew Nabbout giving a gobful to in the crowd late in the second half ?

Brown, UG, Clut and Nabs looked fantastic last night. Clear standouts. Looking forward to seeing what they can do throughout the year. If Brown stays fit and doesn't get muscled off the ball, he will be very clinical for us.

Our defense is what will hurt us this year, we'll leak more than we score.

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Who was Andrew Nabbout giving a gobful to in the crowd late in the second half ?
    Victree supporters.

https://twitter.com/andrewnabbout/st...14096673452032

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    It was the linesman for not giving a pen for a blatant handball

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    It was the linesman for not giving a pen for a blatant handball
    Oh that one, after we scored he ran over towards the victree supporters as well.

Man he sprayed that linesman!

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post

Sure it wasn't the rain?

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Oh that one, after we scored he ran over towards the victree supporters as well.

Excellent. Already got some Newy in him

Keeping this as brief as i can.

Pissed about our preparation and the fact we seemingly didn't take last nights loss seriously enough (ie millers postgame comments).

Thrilled with much of the play last night. Happy with the style of play. Excited to see more of ugar and brown combination.

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    I think a Ugarkovic/Brown combination could be one of the best in the league.
    So you are saying that we should have Brown S UGAR in the centre of the park. I can see the Rolling Stones being played everytim they pass the ball to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Local Rules View Post
    So you are saying that we should have Brown S UGAR in the centre of the park. I can see the Rolling Stones being played everytim they pass the ball to each other.
    Oh dear....

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    So you think Lee Broxham isn't a shit **** of a footballer and we should be happy we didn't towel him up last night??

Ok
    Broxham actually does pretty well at HAL level. You're a ****ing idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Firstly, credit to the 1956 people who showed up last night. Well done.

However, I'm pissed off because we're out of the cup for the third year in our first match. I really wanted a cup run this year because I think we'd have benefited from it.

The Jets took a while to settle into last night's match and were duly punished. In the second half we also saw Victory take some time to adjust to the howling wind and we scored as well. 3-1 was a flattering scoreline to the Victory.

It's easy to blame the referee but I thought he had a poor night. He was far more lenient to the challenges of Victory than he was the Jets.

Neither side was particularly fluid. I thought our midfield two were very good - Stevie UG in particular. Enjoy seeing him while you can folks because he is far too good for this league. I thought Nabbout offered pace we were lacking last year and played well. Clut and Brown were also impressive.

I continue my chant from last year that Cowburn is not a left back. We strung most of our attack down Hoffman's side, particularly in the first half when Hoole was switched over in front of him. Our defence seemed a bit shaky and I wonder whether that has a bit to do with JP leaving? Not sure.

Tough night for BK. The result and some moments won't silence the debate about his ability to aptly fill the #1 spot and how Miller has decided to recruit in that position. Second and 3rd goal he couldn't do anything about. First goal was a sublime cross. I'd like to see him work on his distribution but lets see how it goes on a pitch that doesn't have the goal square chopped up and not blowing a 90km/hr gale in his face.

I think both teams performances indicated the level of game time and quality of opposition they have played so far. Also, that the Victory team have had 2-3 years all playing together now, as opposed to our entirely new front third.

What I found interesting was the lack of subs and that Brymora was chose over both Pavicevic and Brennan to come on. Perhaps that's a sign of the pecking order.

Nordstrand, Boogaard and Haliti to add some depth once they return.

Not all doom and gloom but I'm not feeling as optimistic as was after last year's performance. Granted we were coming from below rock bottom at that point in time.
    Didn't see game, but if what you are saying is true, your third last paragraph says we have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Oh dear....
    One for the quote sig?

Quote Originally Posted by GO AWAY View Post
    Didn't see game, but if what you are saying is true, your third last paragraph says we have problems.
    We had no Haliti, Norstrand, Chinese Miracle Dev or mystery Euro Striker. Brymora, Pav and Brenan won't even be near the bench once people are signed and back fit, surely?