Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-League News and Talk (leave the jokes and puns out)

A-League News and Talk (leave the jokes and puns out)

So this place is getting pretty shit if you are looking for a place to discuss Football and the Jets.
    I enjoy the laughs as much as the next bloke but it's getting ridiculous. Thought I would create this thread so we can have a place to leave the shitty puns and lame attempts at humor out.
    Peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Brave man Premy but I agree, many want to just talk football but the discussion often gets hijacked or side-tracked with irrelevant crap because some want to show off how smart and witty they are.
    Anyway to kick it off I think the A-League must go to 12 teams next year, making it 33 rounds - 6 extra games meaning the season will have to start earlier ie in late August or start as is in October and go into early June. Another option could be to play a few midweek games.
    I prefer to start late August, yeah it clashes with NRL and AFL but so what, the off-season is way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Anyway to kick it off I think the A-League must go to 12 teams next year, making it 33 rounds - 6 extra games meaning the season will have to start earlier ie in late August or start as is in October and go into early June. Another option could be to play a few midweek games.
    And which two severely underfunded clubs are to join the A-league?

I'd rather stay with 10 teams and play 36 games .... 2 at home and 2 away
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Also to make it interesting so every teams are fighting for something for 36 games and because we haven't got and we are not ready for promotion relegation I propose that bottom four starts the following season on minus points. Wooden spoon starts on minus 12, 9th minus 9, 8th minus 6 and 7th minus 3....... Starting on minus 12 the following season is still better than being relegated (If we had relegation).........
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Watching the (magic of) the FFA cup games there is definitely room to think the quality is there to compete with A-League team.
    Its just a matter of strategically placing two more teams with the appropriate finance and backing.
    Id love to see another team next year even if it means a bye we could go with Thursday night games and then it wouldn't be so long between matches when you have a bye
    Teams likely iMO are from Gold Coast, Canberra or Wollongong

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    And which two severely underfunded clubs are to join the A-league?
    Why assume that any club from Wollongong, Geelong, Sutherland/South Sydney or Canberra for example would be severley underfunded?

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Why assume that any club from Wollongong, Geelong, Sutherland/South Sydney or Canberra for example would be severley underfunded?
    Wollongong, failed to raise, 100k? What makes you think they can raise enough to run an A-League club, all of which post losses almost in the millions every year, except WSW and Melb V.

Geelong, yeah another Melbourne team is wat we need.
    Sydney, same as above.
    Gold Coast, failed to get over 5k crowds for ages, don't go there again.

WA/Canberra would be the best bets. But you'd need to have a team almost A-league level now, and use the funds from FFA and owners with enough $$ to support it.

Where we are now, we have Brisbane and CCM who's owners are struggling to fund them, another two teams on top of that isn't what the FFA needs right now.

What we need is more rounds, more exposure and more crowds.

Paul Okon to Coach the Mariners.

Good post Premy........football without the same jokes that have been done to death a million times over.

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    I'd rather stay with 10 teams and play 36 games .... 2 at home and 2 away
    Fair enough mate, though I just think the 10 team format is getting a bit stale. Adding two new teams would freshen it up and give it another dimension spreading it to new areas, say for example Wollongong and Geelong.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Paul Okon to Coach the Mariners.

Good post Premy........football without the same jokes that have been done to death a million times over.
    hey we provide you with the same damn stale entertainment week in week out, for free

i've heard mixed reports on the quality of okon as a coach, supposedly he wasn't particularly well liked when he was at APIA

club coaching at this level is a completely different kettle of fish than state leagues and kids, will be interesting to see how it pans out

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    hey we provide you with the same damn stale entertainment week in week out, for free

i've heard mixed reports on the quality of okon as a coach, supposedly he wasn't particularly well liked when he was at APIA

club coaching at this level is a completely different kettle of fish than state leagues and kids, will be interesting to see how it pans out
    In all honesty, he's probably one of the cheapest options with 'any' experience within Australia. Looking at what the CCM are doing, they have almost everyone on min wage.

One club will be in the Brisbane/Ipswich area. The other will be South Sydney.

I've also heard wildly conflicting reports on his coaching ability/style, however most of them seem to be in the negative opinion. You never really know where the rumours start though, probably from someone he dumped for not being good enough so I take it with a grain of salt.

Will be interesting to see how he goes down there........hopefully not well.

I've heard the football his APIA team put on was so dire and boring. If he's going to bring that style of game to the AL he'd better hope he backs it up with results.

On expansion - can we just bring in Wollongong Wolves & South Melbourne already ffs. Wollongong have proved they're ready for it as a community (no idea about $$) and South just need the racists in the FFA to drop their hypocritcal NCIP & view on all ethnic clubs (except Jewish ones) and finally let a good club come in and do their thing.
    OK

No expansion yet. I'm with lquiquer on this one.

The mid week match is not a bad idea either.

I'd also like to see the end of the ridiculous scheduling that sees us having played some teams 3 times before we have even encountered some teams. Stupid.

I would like some sort of second division come in at the expense of the NYL (keep them playing in the NPL). The FFA could look at existing NPL clubs with appropriate competitive record and facilities and liaise with the State Federations (ie the Football West bid in the article above) It would be a great way to bring some of the ostracized clubs back from the fold. Does not need Pro/Rel yet but could come in time. Invite clubs which fit a criteria to make an application then sort it out.

I would think you could invite, Bris Strikers, FNQ, Palm Beach in qld. Wollongong, Blacktown, Syd Utd, Sutherland, Olympic, Maybe Macarthur or someone Sth West in NSW, Canberra United have the womens and Youth. Sth Melb, Melb Knights, Bentleigh in Vic with maybe Geelong, Adelaide City and or West Adelaide. Invite a Federation backed team from Football West and Tassie to make a submission.

Out of that lot and possibly a few more I have not thought of you could easily get a second division running. Could broadcast online like BarTV or something and a weekly highlights package on Fox

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    I would like some sort of second division come in at the expense of the NYL (keep them playing in the NPL). The FFA could look at existing NPL clubs with appropriate competitive record and facilities and liaise with the State Federations (ie the Football West bid in the article above) It would be a great way to bring some of the ostracized clubs back from the fold. Does not need Pro/Rel yet but could come in time. Invite clubs which fit a criteria to make an application then sort it out.

I would think you could invite, Bris Strikers, FNQ, Palm Beach in qld. Wollongong, Blacktown, Syd Utd, Sutherland, Olympic, Maybe Macarthur or someone Sth West in NSW, Canberra United have the womens and Youth. Sth Melb, Melb Knights, Bentleigh in Vic with maybe Geelong, Adelaide City and or West Adelaide. Invite a Federation backed team from Football West and Tassie to make a submission.

Out of that lot and possibly a few more I have not thought of you could easily get a second division running. Could broadcast online like BarTV or something and a weekly highlights package on Fox
    I think the big problem here would be travel expenses yeah? If you have a 'national' 2nd tier comp you still have a huge chunk of overhead yet with no real increase in revenue.

Australia is just so darn big, it's impossible to follow anyone else's blueprint on how to expand the comp.

Would love to see owners given longer leases (25-50 years) in exchange for them having to invest in infastructure (team/league owned stadiums). One league owned stadium in each capital city and 2 teams playing out of each. Then big centres like Western Syd etc get their own.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    I think the big problem here would be travel expenses yeah? If you have a 'national' 2nd tier comp you still have a huge chunk of overhead yet with no real increase in revenue.
    Not to mention 90% or more of NPL teams are made up of Semi-Pros, who have mid week jobs they need to live off. Do you then stipulate that they have to be "Pro" therefor 55k+ each player for wages? Where does all this money come from?

Need to find that balance of growing grass root + growing the A-league to generate more interest in investors.