Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A-League News and Talk (leave the jokes and puns out)

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Australia is just so darn big, it's impossible to follow anyone else's blueprint on how to expand the comp.
    Russia? Saint Petersburg to Tomsk is further than Sydney to Perth... and that's just in the Russian Premier League. In the Russian National Division, one of the trips is 10k each way between Kaliningrad and Vladivostok.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Russia? Saint Petersburg to Tomsk is further than Sydney to Perth... and that's just in the Russian Premier League. In the Russian National Division, one of the trips is 10k each way between Kaliningrad and Vladivostok.
    Distance is one metric, but then Russia has far superior infastructure, corporate support (yes, crazy oligarchs), and I'd say football is higher on the pecking order than it is in Australia.

I'm happy to cherry pick the best bits of every countries setups. But that requires a bit of lateral thinking from the people in charge at FFA.

Same way I think the organisational setup in the USA is a great example to follow. But that would mean the FFA giving up power and football in this country generally doesn't work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Distance is one metric, but then Russia has far superior infastructure, corporate support (yes, crazy oligarchs), and I'd say football is higher on the pecking order than it is in Australia.

I'm happy to cherry pick the best bits of every countries setups. But that requires a bit of lateral thinking from the people in charge at FFA.

Same way I think the organisational setup in the USA is a great example to follow. But that would mean the FFA giving up power and football in this country generally doesn't work that way.
    But you also have to take population into consideration: 145M in Russia and 320M in the US compare to 23M in Oz
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Not to mention 90% or more of NPL teams are made up of Semi-Pros, who have mid week jobs they need to live off. Do you then stipulate that they have to be "Pro" therefor 55k+ each player for wages? Where does all this money come from?

Need to find that balance of growing grass root + growing the A-league to generate more interest in investors.
    I would be happy with it remaining semi pro but leave it to the clubs. Best efforts to keep the PFA away from ****ing things up with minimum contracts etc would be a start.

The FFA pump a bit into the NYL, I would scrap that and put it towards the 2nd div. 12 clubs say 250k each is 3 million. Not massive coin. Vic and NSW NPL clubs are spending 250k in a fair few cases a year on the player payments as is. You could get a decent 2nd tier squad for half a million. Obv you would need some guarentees in place for the clubs to have enough financial backing for flights etc and it may be that Tassie, FNQ and Perth 2 don't cut the mustard but if 8 teams were from Vic, NSW, ACT then travel costs for those clubs aren't going to be too onerous and if the requirement is they play in their own facilities they don't have massive stadium overheads.

The second division could also be a shorter season - if only to reduce costs.

It's tough situation to decide how best to bring in pro/rel

if the 2nd division it too weak the gap is too wide and clubs that come up will never compete, and clubs that go down potentially fall apart through revenue loss.

they need a 2nd nationwide league that runs for a few a seasons and is given time to develop its own higher standard, clubs in div2 should be able to demand transfer fees for players sold to A-league so the lower division can start to be funded in part by the finances that exist at the higher level, and by their own ability to produce players.

Im sure its needed, im not sure we're ready, im not sure we'll ever be ready
    Last edited by GazFish35; 29-08-2016 at 04:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.

If we have pro/rel, what would happen to the club that got relegated? They would instantly go broke.

2nd Division eventually leading to Pro/Rel is the biggest issue the FFA needs to face and that for a reason no one on here has mentioned yet.

The cashed up West Asian nations are already pissed that Australia is constantly taking a spot in the major tournaments at the expense of one of them. It won't be long until the politics of AFC start putting pressure on Australia to go back to OFC. FFA need to be proactive and become AFC compliant with Pro/Rel and 3+1 foreigners to get rid of the rope that could be use to hang them.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

You ppl do realise we have an aleague expansion thread right?
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    You ppl do realise we have an aleague expansion thread right?
    This is the "serious talk and don't make jokes" thread, furns. Get with the times.

yeah get with the times. having a 2nd division is real and we want it man.

There's almost no chance until a VFTrain joins all national cities but it can happen, right?