13 22.81%
  • Slobs

9 15.79%
  • Other

9 15.79%
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hunt for a New Manager - 16/17 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    If this situation isn't ripe for the introduction of a full fan engagement model of managerial leadership the. I'll eat my hat.

Appoint no-one and let all decisions be made by online polling. Use Facebook Twitter snapchat and tinder if you have to.
    Swipe Right for Griffo
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Its been done, several times.

I like my walls padded.

Only because you don't have the balls to suggest it in the first place.

I know where you live.

I don't like people feeling left out. Consider it a Donkey vote because I thought the options were all sh!t, and I have never heard of Other.

You've never heard of Other? Seriously?

He played for the Breakers 25 years ago, was a super average player but understands the local culture like no-one else. Has coached some really great teams that none of us have ever heard of in the minor leagues of Singapore, Malaysia and Laos. He's perfect!

Does anyone alse think that Parris writes in an almost alarmist manner? Clearly looking to put pressure on the club and create debate. I suppose that's his job.
    Agree with this - I wrote a response to one of his articles in the Herald suggesting same and the moderator stopped it.

Must be from the "School of Dillon" of molehill amplification and foz lurkage (hi Michael).

And I'm another who has no problem with phone interviews - high level corporates use Skype etc. Does anyone truly think we should fly half a dozen coaches out here or send Lawrie on a mystery tour at this stage of the season?

Managing Honours:
    Australia A-League Championship: 2007–2008

Personal Honours:
    A-League Coach of the Year: 2007–2008

Guus is doing nothing .....bored shit sitting by a canal .....time to #BringGuusHome
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Click on the number 1 on the right same line as Stubbins on the poll and you will find out....
    Wow, been on the Foz for years and didn't realise you could do that!

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Appoint no-one and let all decisions be made by online polling. Use Facebook Twitter snapchat and tinder if you have to.
    so the winner of every single poll would be Arsenal
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    Managing Honours:
    Australia A-League Championship: 2007–2008

Personal Honours:
    A-League Coach of the Year: 2007–2008
    Are you seriously advocating to bring back GVE for a 3rd gig???

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Are you seriously advocating to bring back GVE for a 3rd gig???

GVE = Couscous

All I'm saying is that, given the squad we have and the lessons we should have learned from Scott Miller's disastrous time in charge, we need a different style of coach.

Miller's approach was simple: strong focus on defensive position, aggressive press but only in our own half, score on the counter via direct balls/running.

We have the players for a patient style of possession football: spreading the ball continually (laterally and horizontally), playing with width and high fullbacks, and not being afraid to pass backwards if it means keeping the ball and getting another opportunity to find a gap. It didn't always work during GVE's last spell but I'm confident we'll get it right this time if we commit to this philosophy.

All I'm saying is that, given the squad we have and the lessons we should have learned from Scott Miller's disastrous time in charge, we need a different style of coach.

Miller's approach was simple: strong focus on defensive position, aggressive press but only in our own half, score on the counter via direct balls/running.

We have the players for a patient style of possession football: spreading the ball continually (laterally and horizontally), playing with width and high fullbacks, and not being afraid to pass backwards if it means keeping the ball and getting another opportunity to find a gap. It didn't always work during GVE's last spell but I'm confident we'll get it right this time if we commit to this philosophy.
    I think that's the style of football GvE WANTED to play, however it didn't come off and we ended up playing the type of play you used to describe Miller's (which I think is accurate). The football ended up being turgid in it's approach and we moved the ball far too slowly before we would give it away and concede.

last year we didn't have players to successfully play the style you mention. I'm holding off judgement at this stage whether my opinion will change with this lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I'd like to apologise for saying "laterally and horizontally" when I meant to say "laterally and vertically".

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Wow, been on the Foz for years and didn't realise you could do that!
    Thats ****ed up. Polls should be anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    so the winner of every single poll would be Arsenal
    Don't be stupid, Arsenal will be 4th, by the end of the Poll.

GVE's last spell
    The only time I remember us playing good football when GVE was last here was when Kanta would drop into the backline when we had possession and all the play went thru him (similar to Jedinak and the Socceroos setup at the Asian Cup). Lasted about 3 weeks before Kanta got himself injured, or knocked out at a nightclub, or whatever. The rest of the time GVE had us playing gash.

But like I mentioned way earlier in this thread, I want us to hire GVE again solely so the circus is well and truly back on. If we're not going to be good, at least give us a chance to laugh at ourselves.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Aside from having something to whine about, what's wrong with phone interviews? These aren't players on trial. Or are they supposed to turn up in person so we can see how good they can lay out witches hats and don a tracksuit?
    If you don't know a coaches abilities, is a phone interview going to help. Nowhere did I say to bring all candidates here for a trial. This is an A league club ffs.
    Last edited by seldom; 16-09-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Quote Originally Posted by seldom View Post
    If you don't know a coaches abilities, is a phone interview going to help. Nowhere did I say to bring all candidates here for a trial. This is an A league club ffs.
    So are you saying don't even talk to them?

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    So are you saying don't even talk to them?
    I think 60 odd applied when the job became vacant. I would think a huge % of these would be known to club and not wanted. If there were any standouts I'm sure the club would have pounced immediately. By all means be respectful and phone applicants who don't make the cut and thank them for their time. I would have thought they would shortlist to 3 or 4 and that these coaches should be interviewed in person. Might be just me, but I don't see the point of a phone interview for this role. I think Lawrie would already know who he wants by now but is going through the correct procedures.
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Fairly sure it was Darren Stewart who we wanted years ago but we told him he had to pay for his own flights over here to interview

The coach we get will almost definitely be a known entity. A phone interview should be enough for McKinna to spell out to them "we have no squad spots left to manoeuvre (is that how I spell that?). You can't blame the existing squad for bad results - this will be your squad and you will be held accountable for results. This will be your salary. You start tomorrow. Keen?"
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Fairly sure it was Darren Stewart who we wanted years ago but we told him he had to pay for his own flights over here to interview

The coach we get will almost definitely be a known entity. A phone interview should be enough for McKinna to spell out to them "we have no squad spots left to manoeuvre (is that how I spell that?). You can't blame the existing squad for bad results - this will be your squad and you will be held accountable for results. This will be your salary. You start tomorrow. Keen?"
    "And the boss wants a Chinese player on the books. You know any good ones?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles