13 22.81%
  • Slobs

9 15.79%
  • Other

9 15.79%
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: The Hunt for a New Manager - 16/17 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    What kind of football Jones likes to play? Rare / Medium / Well done ?
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom View Post
    Why are people against Jones ? And can we get a response a little more detailed than " Bloke is a piece of shit" etc. Majority of players are for the appointment from my info.
    I'm seeing a trend here, aligns with his old job at Adelaide.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    yeah me and my mates were just having a bet on whether it took longer to type the press release or actually look for a manager.

I've got good money on the press release.
    Well I'm pretty sure they started writing the press release before they sacked Miller so I think your money is safe....

Quote Originally Posted by seldom View Post
    Why are people against Jones ? And can we get a response a little more detailed than " Bloke is a piece of shit" etc. Majority of players are for the appointment from my info.
    there seem to be a multitude of reasons why others are against him.

Here is a small sample of mine:

Jobs for the boys - he has got the job because he is a mate of the Gypo and no other reason;
    His pedigree and history as a manager is almost identical to Stubbins' and I don't think I need to expand too much on that;
    Pretty average player and a wide defender in an era when wide defenders had no skills and no tactical nous;
    Although I don't know his current tactical philosophy, a defenders mentality will not fly in this town. GVE is still lambasted for his philosophy (played the same position as Jones but was a much better player) but GVE did get some fairly reasonable results in at least one of his stints at the club (sorry Club);
    Does anyone actually know what results Jones has achieved in the shitty leagues he has been involved in? Sheringham was crucified in the press (well the Herald anyway, and they never have any hidden agendas) for his poor results as a manager but what has Jones achieved?
    We deserve better than a manager who "understands the Newcastle football mentality", which means - is happy to accept failure as an ongoing reasonable standard;
    "Martin" Lee could have proven his commitment to the club by being prepared to pay for a decent well credentialed and successful manager but has instead allowed the Gypo to spend the minimum (one would hope) giving his mate a job;
    If "martin" didn't want to break the budget of his billion dollar company then why look beyond Clayton Zane. He actually has some runs on the board as an A league manager even if only in a caretaker role;

next.....

Quote Originally Posted by skullboy View Post
    there seem to be a multitude of reasons why others are against him.

Here is a small sample of mine:

Jobs for the boys - he has got the job because he is a mate of the Gypo and no other reason;
    His pedigree and history as a manager is almost identical to Stubbins' and I don't think I need to expand too much on that;
    Pretty average player and a wide defender in an era when wide defenders had no skills and no tactical nous;
    Although I don't know his current tactical philosophy, a defenders mentality will not fly in this town. GVE is still lambasted for his philosophy (played the same position as Jones but was a much better player) but GVE did get some fairly reasonable results in at least one of his stints at the club (sorry Club);
    Does anyone actually know what results Jones has achieved in the shitty leagues he has been involved in? Sheringham was crucified in the press (well the Herald anyway, and they never have any hidden agendas) for his poor results as a manager but what has Jones achieved?
    We deserve better than a manager who "understands the Newcastle football mentality", which means - is happy to accept failure as an ongoing reasonable standard;
    "Martin" Lee could have proven his commitment to the club by being prepared to pay for a decent well credentialed and successful manager but has instead allowed the Gypo to spend the minimum (one would hope) giving his mate a job;
    If "martin" didn't want to break the budget of his billion dollar company then why look beyond Clayton Zane. He actually has some runs on the board as an A league manager even if only in a caretaker role;

next.....
    What does playing history have anything to do with your ability to coach? On that front Jones is already a mile ahead of Miller. There is no direct correlation between how good you were as a player and your capability as a coach. What position did Mourinho play? Who for? Give me his playing history! For the record, I would have loved Miller to be given the gig for 4-5 years, but obviously he made his errors and paid the ultimate price for his alleged hardline stance. Everytime Jones has been involved with the club (and I may need the stats man here) my recollection is that we have a reduced injury occurrence, improved defensive capacity and have generally improved competitively.

We should have gone for a foreign coach for the Socceroos as the the most highly credentialed is always the best option. Oh wait. Someone with an understanding of the local/national fabric whom already has a first hand knowledge of the football landscape in this country has our NT performing and playing good quality football. Sometimes, the local can be the better option.

There are more highly credentialed individuals out there but it does not necessarily mean they will be the most suited to the job profile.

I see this as a double appointment which will help to galvanise the current playing squad, not mix things up too much and carry on the good work of the previous coach. An outsider could have come in and just changed everything.. Leading to potentially fatal initial results (which would have some fans raging as to his/her failure in not getting immediate results).

From what I have heard and read, former players that have played under Jones have been mightily impressed with him and have championed his installment as Head Coach.

Yes, it will appear as 'jobs for the boys' and until he starts getting results he won't be able to change that perception.

You're willing to write him off but yet you don't know his tactical philosophy? Nothing like storming into a fight and not knowing why you are hating on the other guy! He has come out and said that the defence is essentially needing some minor tweaking but the improvement needs to be made in the goalscoring front. Not sure I read in there anything about the way he likes to play, although there is a good piece by David Lowe if you want some more information/insight.

Supporting his appointment may actually bring about positive change and results for the club. However, I suppose it is easier to whip out your keyboard and predict failure.

Good luck with that attitude.
    Last edited by rhysd; 24-09-2016 at 07:54 AM.

^^^^
    Well said. Give peace (and by extension, Jones) a chance

Quote Originally Posted by rhysd View Post
    What does playing history have anything to do with your ability to coach? On that front Jones is already a mile ahead of Miller. There is no direct correlation between how good you were as a player and your capability as a coach. What position did Mourinho play? Who for? Give me his playing history! For the record, I would have loved Miller to be given the gig for 4-5 years, but obviously he made his errors and paid the ultimate price for his alleged hardline stance. Everytime Jones has been involved with the club (and I may need the stats man here) my recollection is that we have a reduced injury occurrence, improved defensive capacity and have generally improved competitively.

We should have gone for a foreign coach for the Socceroos as the the most highly credentialed is always the best option. Oh wait. Someone with an understanding of the local/national fabric whom already has a first hand knowledge of the football landscape in this country has our NT performing and playing good quality football. Sometimes, the local can be the better option.

There are more highly credentialed individuals out there but it does not necessarily mean they will be the most suited to the job profile.

I see this as a double appointment which will help to galvanise the current playing squad, not mix things up too much and carry on the good work of the previous coach. An outsider could have come in and just changed everything.. Leading to potentially fatal initial results (which would have some fans raging as to his/her failure in not getting immediate results).

From what I have heard and read, former players that have played under Jones have been mightily impressed with him and have championed his installment as Head Coach.

Yes, it will appear as 'jobs for the boys' and until he starts getting results he won't be able to change that perception.

You're willing to write him off but yet you don't know his tactical philosophy? Nothing like storming into a fight and not knowing why you are hating on the other guy! He has come out and said that the defence is essentially needing some minor tweaking but the improvement needs to be made in the goalscoring front. Not sure I read in there anything about the way he likes to play, although there is a good piece by David Lowe if you want some more information/insight.

Supporting his appointment may actually bring about positive change and results for the club. However, I suppose it is easier to whip out your keyboard and predict failure.

Good luck with that attitude.
    First class post.

First class post.[/QUOTE]

I agree great post. Lets all unite as 1 and support all staff and players for the upcoming season

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Can confirm: I got the job.

I hope you all like turnips.
    Where's my call for assistant?

Sacking a perfectly known good coach is stupidity. A new manager/coach is the last thing we need as it now starts our 7th rebuild in 8 yrs. There be little joy this year.

As for not judging a coach on past results, let's just put in some kid. His non results shouldnt matter ay.

Skullboy hit it right on. Anyone accepting gypo jobs for the boys needs to head south and don the urine shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Sacking a perfectly known good coach is stupidity. A new manager/coach is the last thing we need as it now starts our 7th rebuild in 8 yrs. There be little joy this year.

As for not judging a coach on past results, let's just put in some kid. His non results shouldnt matter ay.

Skullboy hit it right on. Anyone accepting gypo jobs for the boys needs to head south and don the urine shirt.
    Your just some punk from the forum, ill stick around and SUPPORT the newcastle jets thanks. No-one NEEDS to do anything you say on here tough man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommygypo View Post
    ill stick around and SUPPORT the newcastle jets thanks. No-one NEEDS to do anything you say on here tough man.
    rof. we a have a butt hurt hero.
    Last edited by hawk; 24-09-2016 at 10:31 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Your just some punk from the forum, ill stick around and SUPPORT the newcastle jets thanks. No-one NEEDS to do anything you say on here tough man.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    rof. we a have a butt hurt hero.
    Oh man we must be laughing at each other now

Quote Originally Posted by skullboy View Post
    GVE is still lambasted for his philosophy (played the same position as Jones but was a much better player) but GVE did get some fairly reasonable results in at least one of his stints at the club
    FFS, the Egg did not have a "defender's mentality". Under him, we played possession football with rapid changes in tempo. It's just that, at times, we struggled to keep the ball or reach a high tempo. But the instructions, tactics, vision, philosophy, desire and hyperbole were there, thanks to GVE.

This place really enrages me sometimes.

Can I suggest a useful way to end the Myths of the Egg? Someone approach Griff and ask him what he thought of GVE, then report here what the Griff said.

Quote Originally Posted by white city View Post
    Lets all unite as 1 and support all staff and players for the upcoming season
    Nah.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Oh man we must be laughing at each other now
    Im only here for the larf. You must know that by now.

Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    Where's my call for assistant?
    Was going to be a surprise when you get home

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    FFS, the Egg did not have a "defender's mentality". Under him, we played possession football with rapid changes in tempo. It's just that, at times, we struggled to keep the ball or reach a high tempo. But the instructions, tactics, vision, philosophy, desire and hyperbole were there, thanks to GVE.

Can I suggest a useful way to end the Myths of the Egg? Someone approach Griff and ask him what he thought of GVE, then report here what the Griff said.
    Possession football's not much chop if ya aint goin forward Gary.
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Dunno bout you guys, but I'll be pretty damn happy when we win games, and if we make top 6. I'll be pissed when we lose and miss out on finals football.
    Sure, on paper this isn't great, but paper doesn't win games, doesn't count for much at all tbh. If he comes in and wins games you'll still pile shit on the guy.
    Who coaches, who plays, who scored, who dives, who gets sacked, doesn't bother me. Nobody is bigger than the club. So I'll reserve my judgement until we have played some games.

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post

Hi Gary!

I thought your philosophy was for the fullbacks to sprint up the field, then for the centre backs and defensive midfield to pass back and forth amongst themselves until they turned the ball over by which time the fullbacks were out of position and we'd concede.

Well that's what I watched through your entire second tenure and alot of your first