Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Rebecca Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Yeah but it can be argued that 99% of the population works their job with minimal consideration for others.

It's just that ours aren't so public.
    Relative ran a Fairfax paper and I can guarantee they are a different breed. I'd have more faith approaching a pit-bull totally naked with a sirloin hanging from my balls.
    The majority of journos completely overestimate their talents and often run with stories / articles they don't understand. There are good ones as well but the editors soon take care of them and anything that doesn't please their overlord plutocrat owners.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 07-10-2016 at 11:54 PM.

i just hope the people continually bitching about her making public a list (remember she didnt compile the list, only released it) are also shouting to the rooftops for the likes of Assange and Snowden to also be doomed to a horrific death from some horrid disease...........but I'm thinking their sensibilities may change depending on who they are exposing.

Personally i think a lot of people out there are telling on themselves and just aren't comfortable with a strong woman smacking them in the face with some uncomfortable truths.

It would be interesting to see the reaction had a proper sockah journo on ABC or SBS made public the same list under the cover of a "hard hitting investigative piece".
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Wouldn't it only be comparable to Snowden/Assange if the list of fans were people being protected by the governing body for committing the crimes without receiving punishment?

Quote Originally Posted by Imyourhero View Post
    Wouldn't it only be comparable to Snowden/Assange if the list of fans were people being protected by the governing body for committing the crimes without receiving punishment?
    Only if you feel the need to put levels on what's an appropriate exposure of classified information.

And it seems that line is right next to the female journo.

Only if you feel the need to put levels on what's an appropriate exposure of classified information.

And it seems that line is right next to the female journo.
    Wilson stated that SBS shifted A-league matches to their 2nd channel because it simply wasn't popular enough ? Well, Channel 9 shifted the majority of their cricket and Rugby League games to Standard def channels back then as well - but not once did she say that it was about declining popularity or indeed cost cutting.

This is only one example, and there are plenty more - Every chance she had to run down the game she did. And when she did say something nice about football you only had to wait a few more lines and she would be once again ripping the game and its fans apart.

It's the old you furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war shit started by Hearst on those years ago. Sensationalism sells copy - not unbiased factual statements.

You need only look at the reactions to posts here on most of the Foz threads - the most off the rails ridiculous ones tend to get the most attention - and we hardly even care about the more factual
    posts.

Everyone here would know of MFKS but how many would actually know about Foti68 who would perhaps be one of the better posters on the forum.

We are all moths to a light when it comes to sensationalism.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 08-10-2016 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Wilson stated that SBS shifted A-league matches to their 2nd channel because it simply wasn't popular enough ? Well, Channel 9 shifted the majority of their cricket and Rugby League games to Standard def channels back then as well - but not once did she say that it was about declining popularity or indeed cost cutting.

Sorry, but this isn't true.
    Nine kept NRL and Cricket on SD for a variety of reasons, none of which were lack of popularity.

I can't find quote right now, but am positive SBS themselves admitted why they moved the HAL to the other channel.

but do you think any of the SBS management were cheered on when they died of cancer? Prob not.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

ENTERTAINMENT
    Why Don't Australia's TV Channels Broadcast In HD?

“Why are we being so poorly done by? There is a requirement that the primary channel be in standard definition in this country, and under the anti-siphoning laws you have to show a lot of these big events straight away on that primary channel — and that has an impact on what people can watch.”

That combination leads, inevitably, to a situation where every major event in Australia — particularly sports like the Olympics, Commonwealth Games, NRL and AFL grand finals, the FIFA World Cup — has to be shown primarily in SD. Some channels stand out, though — because SBS has a HD simulcast channel, you can watch some event broadcasts in HD if you so desire. But SBS is an anomaly

The argument behind the primary free-to-air TV channels being in standard definition uses the reasoning that some people might not be capable of purchasing a high definition TV, and would therefore be discriminative. The data, though, doesn’t back that up. Husic says that in nearly every state and territory capital around the country, where 89 per cent of the population lives, over 90 per cent of homes have a high definition TV. The vast majority of the population wouldn’t be adversely affected, and would actually benefit. “It’s the equivalent of putting E10 fuel in your car when 98 octane is freely available.”

It makes sense that the major free-to-air TV channels have to be inclusive of as many viewers as possible, and that means catering to the lowest common denominator.

Peak industry group Free TV Australia has actually lobbied Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull on the topic, and has been asked to make a submission on the topic by the end of March. Its members, the country’s major free-to-air TV broadcasters, want HD on their primary channels. Channels already have HD spectrum, but waste it on multi-channels because legislation just hasn’t caught up.

We’ve bemoaned the fact before that major sporting events are not shown in HD due to the frustrating combination of anti-siphoning laws and outdated legislation. Both components require some rethinking; the primary channel SD requirement is ripe for an update to reflect the number of HD TVs around, and anti-siphoning could do with a bit of a re-jig too. Take out the ability for channels to purchase broadcast rights and not show an event live (or at all), for one thing.
    Ok, this is the best example (article dated 2015) as to why the situation 'was'.
    The sentences highlighted in bold are the best reason to explain why it was, and why it has now changed (changing?).

The article was triggered by our favourite Muslim Ed Husic going at then telecommunications minister and total toff Malcolm Turnbull to fix it.

and to his word the situation is now getting fixed.
    Last edited by plague; 08-10-2016 at 03:02 PM.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Everyone here would know of MFKS but how many would actually know about Foti68 who would perhaps be one of the better posters on the forum.
    This is a very interesting point for a variety of reasons.
    Yes indeed our old mate the Member gets the biggest reaction, and for the exact reasons you state. No doubt.

I also find it interesting that a lot of people (myself included) enjoy foti68's posts, even though they are sometimes full of information that the club hasn't publicly announced. It seems like foti has some very solid sources inside the club, but has no club endorsed authority to make public such info.

My argument is this:
    Foti tells us things we aren't supposed to know, and we enjoy it.
    Wilson tells us things we aren't supposed to know, and we threaten her life.

something just feels a little out of balance here.
    Thats all I'm getting at.
    Seems like I am WRONG

This is a very interesting point for a variety of reasons.
    Yes indeed our old mate the Member gets the biggest reaction, and for the exact reasons you state. No doubt.

I also find it interesting that a lot of people (myself included) enjoy foti68's posts, even though they are sometimes full of information that the club hasn't publicly announced. It seems like foti has some very solid sources inside the club, but has no club endorsed authority to make public such info.

My argument is this:
    Foti tells us things we aren't supposed to know, and we enjoy it.
    Wilson tells us things we aren't supposed to know, and we threaten her life.

something just feels a little out of balance here.
    Thats all I'm getting at.
    Good point. However, with Wilson have you ever heard anyone from league, AFL, or Union circles say she's pro soccer / football ? I definitely have not heard or read any comments making that statement.

But you do get a mixed opinion about Wilson and League, AFL, and Union. Some say she's for it, and others say against - so who knows.

Could also be that those saying she is pro afl / union / league are the A-League fan minority.... Who knows.

But it would be brave to argue that Wilson was ever wearing blinkers when it came to Football / A-league / NSL.

Do I think she was a good journalist ? Absolutely - she got people talking and sold copy - can't fault her for that.

But it would be brave to argue that Wilson was ever wearing blinkers when it came to Football / A-league / NSL.
    Ive heard her praise the socceroos, Ange, Gallop, the fact only soccer can generate the type of atmosphere it does, the great example Cahill is to kids.
    Ive heard her bag the shitty organisation of football, the flares, the fan violence and the play acting.

Ive heard about 1000 other journos mutter the exact same things.
    I've read 1000 other foz posters comment on the exact same things.

Ive yet to see any of those people cheered for getting cancer and dying.

She's never tried to pass herself off as a soccer 'fan'. the problem is that once again like star trek nerdz and apple wankers its "you're either with us, or against us".
    It just seems to bring out a particularly fragile part of the soccer fans mentality that someone doesn't love the sport the way they do.

Theres a million things i disagree with her on, as with a stack of other journos and public people.
    I (along with many others) also disagree with a lot of things the good Member says. That bloke bags the club and game more than Wilson ever did.
    but to think anyone would wish cancer and death on the good Member is unspeakable.
    thats why i have a hard time processing the sentiment around Wilson.

Im all for people disagreeing with her. by all means she's not 'right'.
    but man, there are ways to behave.
    Seems like I am WRONG

The best thing Wanderers fans could do would be a respectful minutes silence and take the higher ground - if there is any.

It could only do them and the game good. Not because Wilson was a good person or whatever, but because it would allow everyone to move on for the good of the game.

The best thing Wanderers fans could do would be a respectful minutes silence and take the higher ground - if there is any.

It could only do them and the game good. Not because Wilson was a good person or whatever, but because it would allow everyone to move on for the good of the game.
    But then you remember that this is the RBB we are talking about, and that post I put up in the Wanderers thread will tell you everything you need to know.
    They wouldn't know where the higher ground was if you gave them a map and directions.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Absolutely.

I've got a bad feeling they are going to do something really silly tonight.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar

a lot of people out there today cheering her death are the same people, who when they hear someone chant 'black lives matter' immediately counter with "YEAH, BUT WHAT ABOUT BLACK ON BLACK CRIME".

Check out this guy

I'm not sure that you understand the whole gripe with Wilson and WSW either. She had no right to publish those names and also likened Wanderers fans to terrorists in a subsequent interview. But no doubt she copped some horrendous abuse from that and other articles when she was alive. She was target because her obvious dislike of football reared its head many times.

I can't say I was a fan of her work but it's a terrible thing to happen to someone, horrible for her and those close to her.
    Last edited by parksey; 09-10-2016 at 08:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Check out this guy
    I checked him out. He's asking some valid questions and making some good points.

I'm not sure that you understand the whole gripe with Wilson and WSW either.
    Exactly, hence why i asked if someone had the article so i can read it in full. The exerpts and editorial of it don't always cover context or nuance. You know that.

She had no right to publish those names and also likened Wanderers fans to terrorists in a subsequent interview.
    Aren't you an aspiring Journo? Don't be so cheeky to say that anything that was printed didnt get ok'd by editors and legal first. Journos don't hand stuff in and get word for word representation. You know that. If anything the editor had to take the ultimate fall for it. Anyone know if that actually happened?

She was target because her obvious dislike of football reared its head many times.
    Death threats and people cheering her death? If that is the consequence of disliking football then Griff help us all.

I can't say I was a fan of her work but it's a terrible thing to happen to someone, horrible for her and those close to her.
    and this is pretty much what I've said too. So you checked me out, and agreed with my ultimate sentiment. glad we got there. Thats why we get along so well Mr Parksey.

I'm serious though, can someone please find this article?
    Seems like I am WRONG

ok here is the online article.
    From memory in the printed version there were names and photos? does anyone remember or can find proof?

THIS is the shame file Australian football bosses didn’t want you to see, the louts who’ve sent the sport into a *downward spiral.

The top secret document features 40 pages of photographs of 198 soccer louts banned from the 10 A-League clubs, with nearly half hailing from the Western Sydney Wanderers.

While the FFA claims cricket and rugby league contain just as many bad eggs, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal that league has only 19 banned fans and cricket fewer than that.

The football shame file features *fans who have engaged in conduct ranging from violence, assault or flare throwing to general thuggery in a three-year ***period up to October 30. More than a quarter of them have tried repeatedly, and often succeeded, to re-enter grounds even after bans have been imposed.

Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione believes crowd behaviour from some fans is spreading away from the stadiums, where police are witnessing horrendous assaults by some supporters on rival fans as they walk to the ground.

“The last thing we want to get to in Australia is putting rival fans in cages like the UK model,” Mr Scipione said.

“It should be a privilege and an *enjoyable thing to attend sport in Australia. The sport must look deep within its culture to admit there is a problem.”

The issue has become so serious that stadiums are now moving to ban the local derbies between the Wanderers and Sydney FC until the FFA can contain the turmoil.

Officials now lock down the stadium 24 hours before the local derby contests so seating areas, toilets and even plumbing can be searched. Flares have been located in toilet pipes, planted by ground staff in collusion with fans.

Police are at their wits’ end with fans, clubs and the FFA. While there have been wide-ranging crisis talks over the issue with soccer authorities, the *government and police say they are far from solving what has become the worst problem in Australian sport.

“It should be a privilege and an *enjoyable thing to attend sport in Australia. The sport must look deep within its culture to admit there is a problem.”

The head of the Major Events and Incident Squad, Assistant Commissioner Kyle Stewart, said that while the A-League is meant to represent the so-called beautiful game, fan behaviour of those on the banned list is “ugly, dangerous and extremely selfish”. Mr Stewart said controlling fans was not just a police matter.

“There is a bloody-*mindedness *within some of the clubs and the FFA that does not accept *responsibility for the culture. It is their *responsibility to mend that,” he said.

“The diatribe about us being the fun police comes from those who have an exceedingly huge level of ignorance about the role we play.’’

FFA boss David Gallop admits there is a problem but says anti-social *behaviour around games goes beyond football’s jurisdiction.

“It’s a problem from parents, school teachers to police,” he said.

“By and large, behaviour within our venues has improved but many of the problems now exist outside the venues.’’

A quick glance at the list of incidences suggests the FFA is in a state of *denial over the extent of the problem.

The conduct, described by one law *enforcement officer as “Moore Park mayhem” when Western Sydney play Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium, now *include vicious assaults on rival fans by some supporters as they walk to the stadium.

“Behave like a civilised human and not some grubby pack animal and you’ll find yourself buying many, many more season passes,” Mr Stewart said.

One of those “grubby pack animals” is a Wanderers fan who is a kindergarten teacher. He has been banned for *violence and offensive behaviour.

Mr Scipione said police have been unfairly targeted for being too heavy- handed with fans but that it’s time for the code itself to address the issues.

“I sat with Dave Gallop (when NRL boss) and the people at the Bulldogs when they had a terrible fan problem,” he said.

“We sorted the issues out but it *started within the club and at the NRL.’’
    it should be noted that the APC did not uphold a complaint from one of the people named (so obviously there were names and photos in the paper version.
    So "having no right to...." seems to indeed not be the case.
    Last edited by plague; 09-10-2016 at 09:58 PM.
    Seems like I am WRONG

and heres another.

THE Western Sydney Wanderers have enjoyed a rapid rise to the top of Australian sport with a team that can outperform just about any other in the A-League. The side's support base boasts numbers that are so phenomenal they are the envy of all professional footy clubs.
    Yes, after just two years, the Wanderers are a fairytale, the darling of the FFA and certain elements of the Sydney media.
    Testament to the fact that this is a very, very valuable brand is that the FFA plans to sell the club for nearly $15 million to a private consortium.
    So what is it about this that makes my skin crawl? Why do I feel extremely uncomfortable when I see the so-called RBB (Red and Black Bloc) in full voice at an A-League game, replete with a lot more than happy ditties and bonhomie?
    Certain fans who boast that they are RBB members hide their faces behind masks, rip hundreds of seats out of the stands so they can stand where they choose and smuggle flares into grounds despite a security presence that far outweighs most football games in Australia.
    Authorities desperately grappling with the increasing menace of a core group of fans have no answer to the trouble.

They are generally dumbfounded when it comes to sourcing the culprits, reluctant to ban anyone who dares to drag a row of nailed-down seats out of the concrete.
    In England, police have adopted a zero tolerance approach, insisting everyone sits in their own numbered seats.
    That way, the culprits are far more easily identified and thrown out. There has been very little hint of trouble at any EPL game for years because the fans know they will cop a life ban if they behave badly.
    Last weekend in Melbourne, the RBB and Victory fans engaged in a brawl away from the ground, in the middle of the city, that was menacing, ugly and violent. The Wanderers claim the Victory mob had revenge on their minds after a similar riot in Sydney when the two teams last clashed.
    Two men, from the RBB, have been charged, one with causing serious injury and another with using a missile during the affray. They have been issued with bans of five years from any A-League games, instead of being handed life.
    Both clubs have been charged with bringing the game into disrepute and threatened with the loss of competition points. But authorities are still no closer to guaranteeing a majority of the crowd who come to watch the game will be safe.
    Five flares, firecrackers and a surging mass of ugliness from within the RBB caused mayhem at Melbourne's AAMI Stadium last Saturday night.
    It might only be a "small minority", as I'm so sick of hearing, but they manage to create a violent atmosphere and continue to ride roughshod over police and security.
    This is a natural outcome for a code hell bent on protecting its reputation, on pumping up the tyres of the RBB and their "wonderful" fan group that the bad element was allowed to thrive without boundaries.
    At the club's derby against Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium in October, the SCG Trust was so deeply disturbed by a string of incidents that they received briefings from the highest echelons of the NSW Police force.
    Hundreds of chairs were ripped out, flares and missiles were smuggled in and let off and the innocents caught in the middle of it were shocked that this could happen in Australia.
    The defence puts out the statistic dozens are evicted from a Test cricket match or a big AFL game. They are generally charged with drunken behaviour and spend the night in the lockup. This, Wanderers fans say, is akin to their own bad element. But they forget that those arrested are rarely violent, and, if they try anything on, they are kicked out rapidly.
    These fans are not part of a gang culture. They do not attend post-match "celebrations" with the intent of accosting rival fans, and they do not go for a quiet drink with missiles in their pockets.
    The private consortium set to purchase the Wanderers has a golden opportunity to shrug off the criminal element in their club.
    It can issue life bans, make every single fan sit in a numbered seat and bolster gate checks to ensure the weapons are not smuggled into the grounds.
    The RBB might be the mascot for the A-League in the minds of those who have bought the public relations hype but until very bad people are meted out of the core group, the Wanderers have no right to call themselves a role model for anyone.

Man, I'm starting to think Rebecca Wilson is (was?) Captain Obvious on the foz
    Seems like I am WRONG

BANNED football fans are thugs who have no place at family matches. Good riddance, I say. Most should be banned for life, not just for a few seasons.

They’re little more than suburban terrorists who spend their time disrupting games with fights, pitch invasions, flares, abusing fans from other teams and brawling outside pubs.
    well then.
    Seems like I am WRONG

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    I checked him out. He's asking some valid questions and making some good points.

Exactly, hence why i asked if someone had the article so i can read it in full. The exerpts and editorial of it don't always cover context or nuance. You know that.

Aren't you an aspiring Journo? Don't be so cheeky to say that anything that was printed didnt get ok'd by editors and legal first. Journos don't hand stuff in and get word for word representation. You know that. If anything the editor had to take the ultimate fall for it. Anyone know if that actually happened?

Death threats and people cheering her death? If that is the consequence of disliking football then Griff help us all.

and this is pretty much what I've said too. So you checked me out, and agreed with my ultimate sentiment. glad we got there. Thats why we get along so well Mr Parksey.

I'm serious though, can someone please find this article?
    She wrote for the Tele, of course the editors would have ok'd it. Seriously though, on legal grounds I'm not sure where she would have stood, but considering every fan on the list was officially banned I don't think they would have had much of a leg to stand on in court.

The real question here is her moral right to disclose the information. The print edition featured the faces of many of the banned along with an inside page which listed most if not all of the names. Basically the guy who was banned after he fell of a chair was lumped in with the lads who organise punch ons in the car park. People lost their jobs because of this. It also featured under age people.

It was not in the public interest but was a juicy story, even if it did emit many key facts e.g. what each fan was banned for etc. as seen in the transcript.
    Last edited by parksey; 09-10-2016 at 10:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

She wrote for the Tele, of course the editors would have ok'd it. Seriously though, on legal grounds I'm not sure where she would have stood, but considering every fan on the list was officially banned I don't think they would have had much of a leg to stand on in court.

The real question here is her moral right to disclose the information. The print edition featured the faces of many of the banned along with an inside page which listed most if not all of the names. Basically the guy who was banned after he fell of a chair was lumped in with the lads who organise punch ons in the car park. People lost their jobs because of this. It also featured under age people.

It was not in the public interest but was a juicy story, even if it did emit many key facts e.g. what each fan was banned for etc. as seen in the transcript.
    fair post. can't argue any of it.
    agree with the big question being the 'moral' right. i guess thats always a hindsight thing though. i thought Senator Hinch naming child molesters using parliamentary privilege was a bit off but if i found out one of them was giving next door to me?

again though I'm fine with disagreeing with her. i just don't agree or understand the 'hate' and death threats.

silver lining though, without the article do the fans ever get their appeal process?
    Even Severus Snape turned out to be on the right side of history.
    Seems like I am WRONG