Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58

Thread: RIP Rebecca Wilson

  1. #41
    aka WLG pv4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,412
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    silver lining though, without the article do the fans ever get their appeal process?
    Even Severus Snape turned out to be on the right side of history.
    This is my favourite thing about Wilson's life, and legacy. The fact that she hated our game and a lot of the people in it so much, yet her work contributed to make it a better (more ethical) place and gave all these suburban terrorists a potential way back in

    Absolutely disgraceful move by the RBB on the wkend IMO and if that didn't trigger the 3 points suspended sentence then I don't know what ever would.
    OK

  2. #42
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,908
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Absolutely disgraceful move by the RBB on the wkend IMO and if that didn't trigger the 3 points suspended sentence then I don't know what ever would.

    Wait, what?

    What did they do?

  3. #43
    aka WLG pv4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,412
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Wait, what?

    What did they do?
    They ripped flares at the 54th minute. Rebecca Wilson was 54 years old. It was premeditated.
    OK

  4. #44
    Senior Member WolfMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    1,928
    Regardless of the timing of the flares, the suspended sentence should be cut loose.

    Have heard FFA are not pursuing this avenue. Bombarding their Twitter handle with queries on it, you're welcome to add your voice to the chorus

  5. #45
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,908
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    They ripped flares at the 54th minute. Rebecca Wilson was 54 years old. It was premeditated.
    Really?
    Wow didn't even see that on the telly.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Jeterpool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wait, I know this one
    Posts
    10,950
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Really?
    Wow didn't even see that on the telly.
    YOu could see it in the background as Holosko plays the ball to Bobo on the behind-the-goal replay
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,030
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    ok here is the online article.
    From memory in the printed version there were names and photos? does anyone remember or can find proof?



    it should be noted that the APC did not uphold a complaint from one of the people named (so obviously there were names and photos in the paper version.
    So "having no right to...." seems to indeed not be the case.
    Until anything has faced a full bench review by the high court it's still pretty much open for debate - and even beyond that there is scope to challenge a decision [though not much these days].. However, not everyone has the money, time, or dare I say it ability to take a decision to these levels.

    Hence, what the APC have determined on such a matter is not the final word. Then you can look at the composition of the APC board - and it's not hard to see why they would side with Wilson / publisher of the article

    The APC consists of 26 members. 15 of these members are industry nominated / journalists representing the very papers / media that Wilson worked for.

    The members of the Council's Adjudication Panel are the Chair of the Council, all public and independent journalist members of the Council, three of the industry nominees on the Council and the following people from community [2 people] and media backgrounds who are not current Council members [4 people]:

    Then we can look at who provides the funding for the APC:

    Adelphi Printing Pty Ltd (publishes Monthly Chronicle)
    APN News & Media
    At Large Media (publishes New Matilda)
    Australian Associated Press
    Australian Rural Publishers Association
    Bauer Media Group (publishes titles such as Australian Women’s Weekly, People, Australian Geographic)
    Community Newspapers Australia
    Country Press Australia
    Daily Mail Australia
    Echo Publications Pty Ltd (publishes The Byron Shire Echo and Echonetdaily)
    emanila.com Pty Ltd (publishes The Filipino Australian)
    Fairfax Media (publishes titles such as The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, Australian Financial Review)
    Focal Attractions (publishes mUmBRELLA.com.au)
    HuffPost Australia
    Independent Australia Pty Ltd (publishes Independent Australia)
    Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance
    News Corp Australia (publishes titles such as The Australian, The Daily Telegraph, The Herald Sun, Courier Mail,Adelaide Advertiser, Hobart Mercury)
    New Daily
    nine.com.au
    Private Media (publishes titles such as Crikey, The Mandarin, Smart Company, Startup Smart)
    Property Review Australia
    Schwartz Media
    The Bushland Shire Telegraph Pty Ltd (publishes Bush Telegraph Weekly)
    Urban Cinefile
    WorkDay Media (publishes Banking Day)

    As we know from past history - self regulation is no regulation at all. Look at financial ratings agencies such as Standards and Poors or Moodies and how their assessment and monitoring of derivative values was around the sub prime mortgage crises ?

    The only rational behaviour to keep their businesses intact was for the rating agencies to always favour the people that kept them financially viable.

    I'm not saying the extent or magnitude to which the APC exists is the same but I would not feel satisfied with this group making a decision about an article based on me - especially given that their structure suggests they are more of a safety net for the industry than they are for the people appearing in the articles.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 10-10-2016 at 12:35 PM.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,030
    The actions of the RBB on the weekend have confirmed everything Rebecca Wilson said about them.

    Their behaviour is an absolute disgrace, makes our game look bad, and makes all fans look bad.

    The FFA need to go hard on these people, as does the football media, and all fans as well. Regardless.

    Just like Wilson suggested, the inherent problems with the NSL are within the RBB and need to be addressed.

    I still don't think much of Rebecca Wilson's methods but considering how piss weak the ruling body [FFA] has been to such matters perhaps what she did was the only way to actually get the debate to where it needs to be - to actually save the game.

    The RBB bring in the short term dollars and that's what is gaining them special treatment. But in the long run they will effectively destroy the game if they stay on their current trajectory. I know this because I watch the NSL from start to finish slowly kill itself.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,351
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The actions of the RBB on the weekend have confirmed everything Rebecca Wilson said about them.

    Their behaviour is an absolute disgrace, makes our game look bad, and makes all fans look bad.

    The FFA need to go hard on these people, as does the football media, and all fans as well. Regardless.

    Just like Wilson suggested, the inherent problems with the NSL are within the RBB and need to be addressed.

    I still don't think much of Rebecca Wilson's methods but considering how piss weak the ruling body [FFA] has been to such matters perhaps what she did was the only way to actually get the debate to where it needs to be - to actually save the game.

    The RBB bring in the short term dollars and that's what is gaining them special treatment. But in the long run they will effectively destroy the game if they stay on their current trajectory. I know this because I watch the NSL from start to finish slowly kill itself.
    Although I think FFA have really stuffed up in not penalising the Wanderers whether it was a fine or docked points for this latest discretion, I think you are over-exaggerating the whole thing. Same as the comparison with the "inherent problems" with the NSL and linking them with the RBB....what are you actually trying to allude to here?
    Everyone who remembers the old NSL knows there were ethnic-based rivalries which got out of control from time to time leading to incidences but it is nowhere near the volume as the anti-football MSM element would have us believe.
    I think in your comments you are basically taking one very narrow angled view of events and running with it. To compare the actions of the RBB with the death of the NSL is totally baseless and mis-informed to say the least.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,030
    Not a single mention of the RBB's actions at the game from foxsports report on the game just references to the size of the crowd, commnets from Tim Cahill about how good a start it was for the leage [in reference to the 61680 crowd] and all the usual shit.

    http://www.foxsports.com.au/football...4402772556d9d3

    I hate to say it but short term money has ruled out any long term strategy for the game.

    Rebecca Wilson appears now to have been the lone voice of reason - can't believe I'm saying it.

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,030
    Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Although I think FFA have really stuffed up in not penalising the Wanderers whether it was a fine or docked points for this latest discretion, I think you are over-exaggerating the whole thing. Same as the comparison with the "inherent problems" with the NSL and linking them with the RBB....what are you actually trying to allude to here?
    Everyone who remembers the old NSL knows there were ethnic-based rivalries which got out of control from time to time leading to incidences but it is nowhere near the volume as the anti-football MSM element would have us believe.
    I think in your comments you are basically taking one very narrow angled view of events and running with it. To compare the actions of the RBB with the death of the NSL is totally baseless and mis-informed to say the least.
    The NSL like the A-league failed to self regulate the bad elements of the game because they didn't want to sacrifice the short term dollar.

    The ethnic divisions in the NSL killed it because they flowed on through ticket sales, media coverage, sponsorship, and people simply not wanting to attend games because the quality of the product from pitch quality, to players, to facilities... and so on was not good enough... It was a disaster on too many levels.

    I was there in 1977 when the club I played for were ridiculously allowed into the competition, I was there when they were relegated at the end of the season.... and I'd pretty much had enough of what the NSL had become by the mid 1980's. [ Imagine Valentine fielding a team in the A-league - and you wouldn't be far off].

    Too much attention to the short term dollar and not enough focus on the long term.

    Sure its good to focus on the positives but the ruling body and pro football media do nothing to address the problems.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 10-10-2016 at 01:06 PM.

  12. #52
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,908
    I don't think anyone is saying ethnic violence killed the NSL.
    I think the point is that narrow minded clubs who act entirely out of self interest and a piss weak governing body is what killed it.

    Well guess what it looks like at the moment.

    When a club (and its 'fans') can't understand the term "don't bring flares to games" exactly what hope do you give them to succeed with multi million dollar sponsorships and TV contracts?

    I wouldn't let any of those retards sell me a tray of mango's.

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,030
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying ethnic violence killed the NSL.
    I think the point is that narrow minded clubs who act entirely out of self interest and a piss weak governing body is what killed it.

    Well guess what it looks like at the moment.

    When a club (and its 'fans') can't understand the term "don't bring flares to games" exactly what hope do you give them to succeed with multi million dollar sponsorships and TV contracts?

    I wouldn't let any of those retards sell me a tray of mango's.
    100% agree with you.

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,351
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The NSL like the A-league failed to self regulate the bad elements of the game because they didn't want to sacrifice the short term dollar.

    The ethnic divisions in the NSL killed it because they flowed on through ticket sales, media coverage, sponsorship, and people simply not wanting to attend games because the quality of the product from pitch quality, to players, to facilities... and so on was not good enough... It was a disaster on too many levels.

    I was there in 1977 when the club I played for were ridiculously allowed into the competition, I was there when they were relegated at the end of the season.... and I'd pretty much had enough of what the NSL had become by the mid 1980's. [ Imagine Valentine fielding a team in the A-league - and you wouldn't be far off].

    Too much attention to the short term dollar and not enough focus on the long term.

    Sure its good to focus on the positives but the ruling body and pro football media do nothing to address the problems.
    Agree with some of your points mate but to say "Imagine Valentine fielding a team in the A-league - and you wouldn't be far off" is totally off the mark.
    You are bagging out the quality of the old NSL but funnily enough the Socceroos so-called Golden were mostly developed and were products of clubs from that era ie Viduka, Emerton, Schwarzer, Bosnich, Okon, Zelic, Grella, Bresciano etc.
    Daresay some of the teams from the relatively strong period of the early to mid-90's like South Melbourne, Melbourne Knights, Marconi and Adelaide City would probably beat the weaker teams in the A-League and give the better teams a run for their money. But you had as you say "pretty much had enough of what the NSL had become by the mid 1980's" so you wouldn't have been aware of that strong period.

  15. #55
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,908
    A good parallel re:FFA.

    Yesterday in the V8's the most high profile driver broke the rules.
    That driver belonged to the most powerful team in the sport who bring in the most sponsorship money by far.

    His rule breach was highly debateable, yet without hesitation the rule makers penalised him and it cost the driver (and the team) victory in the biggest race in the sport.

    The team will appeal, and they will lose, and that sport will keep going from strength to strength.

    Meanwhile the FFA, with a layup to start sorting some shit out, wags it's finger and says "this is your last chance, I'm super serious this time".

    Pissweak.

  16. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,030
    Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Agree with some of your points mate but to say "Imagine Valentine fielding a team in the A-league - and you wouldn't be far off" is totally off the mark..
    Sorry, my paragraph was ambiguous. I meant that Mooroolbark United being allowed into the NSL in 1977 would be like Valentine being allowed to play in the A-league today. meaning that the NSL from the very start made stupid decisions with no long term focus.

    I agree the best players of the NSL era are equal to or better than the best we have today. But the average player today is well and truly better than the average player in the NSL.

    Only a select few NSL players earned enough money to support a family - that's not the case anymore even though the cost of living is higher today in many respects.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,030
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    A good parallel re:FFA.

    Yesterday in the V8's the most high profile driver broke the rules.
    That driver belonged to the most powerful team in the sport who bring in the most sponsorship money by far.

    His rule breach was highly debateable, yet without hesitation the rule makers penalised him and it cost the driver (and the team) victory in the biggest race in the sport.

    The team will appeal, and they will lose, and that sport will keep going from strength to strength.

    Meanwhile the FFA, with a layup to start sorting some shit out, wags it's finger and says "this is your last chance, I'm super serious this time".

    Pissweak.
    Excellent example. I remember the abortion that was Group C and Group A touring cars. It was dangerous, lacklustre, and going broke very quickly. Tough decisions were made, the long term existence of the sport became paramount - and no individual was bigger than the V8 Super Car brand. FFA need to do the same with A-league.

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,351
    ^^^
    Agree gents, the FFA's stance with something that was a pretty clear-cut issue ie rip flares and you get penalised, has now become a "grey area" with clubs and spectators alike now entitled to ask "Please explain, what constitutes a fine/penalty and what doesn't?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •