View Poll Results: Which kick-off time do you prefer?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Friday/Saturday Evenings

32 80.00%
  • Saturday/Sunday Afternoons

4 10.00%
  • Slobs (No preference)

4 10.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which kick-off time do you prefer?

Sundays can get stuffed. fri & sat nite x10000. 5pm probs better for kids.

Those who remember the move to summer football in the 80s will recall the hoohaa about playing in summer heat.

This was dismissed with Soccer Australia saying all games were to be played under lights in the interest of player safety.

When a vote is over 80% in favour that's pretty unanimous in anyone's book.
    Take note Lawrie, if you ever come on here!

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    When a vote is over 80% in favour that's pretty unanimous in anyone's book.
    unless that book is a dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    unless that book is a dictionary
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

In all honesty CCM, SFC and WSW should all be on a Saturday.
    Do whatever the F you want with the remaining 6 clubs, hell play them on Tuesdays nights I don't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I love Saturday and Sunday 5pm games..... get home after 7 just on time for next game or Dazza on shootout, and normal time dinner 8/8.30...... I live in a perfect world..... I need Jets to never make the 6
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

OK - now I have a real gripe about arvo kickoffs (I know Fox controls it and why) and have done some statto work on this season. The main issues I have with afternoon kickoffs are the following:

* Weather - first and foremost. When summer soccer was first implemented the intention was to have ALL kickoffs after 6pm for reasons of player safety and comfort of spectators.
    * Playing style - no doubt the games in the sun are slower and less exciting. Think of any A-League classic over the years and the majority (not all of course) are night matches.
    * Attendance - It's summer and families have choice, the beach and summer sports (cricket particularly) are obvious alternatives. Have heard some members pull out on gameday because of heat in the stands to "watch it at home".
    * Atmosphere - There is no doubt night games have a different vibe about them. Our stadium is just one that seems louder in an evening. As the games are often quicker and more exciting this lends to greater involvement from the fans.
    * Equity between clubs - If all the above apply does it not mean that clubs with more evening games have an advantage? Better football, bigger crowds, better atmosphere, more passion, more revenue, enhanced reputation over time.

Here is the table I have compiled of what has been allocated this season (rated from highest percentage of night games down):

table.jpg

The interesting points:

* All Sydney derbies, all Melbourne derbies, all Big Blues, all ADL/MV games, all SFC/MC games and all MV/WSW are night fixtures
    * All F3 derbies are afternoon fixtures
    * Of the small night allocations for Jets and CCM, Jets have one sent to Coffs, CCM get their pet NYE game - look at the home percentages to see we really have copped it!
    * MV, MC and SFC have runs of night games going for nearly 3 months each
    * The volatile MV/WSW games are at night, even though this is thought to be an increased security risk for crowd trouble around the world - hence EPL lunchtime kickoffs
    * Perth and Wello have benefitted from the loss of EPL for Fox with Perth having a big increase in night games at home - ALL Wellington home games are at night to suit the 5pm AEDT slot
    * Downside for Wellington is the majority of their travels are afternoon fixtures - a distinct disadvantage playing in Aussie heat when their home games are all on chilly NZ evenings. One of their Perth games is at 11pm NZ time and they have Boxing Day in Newcastle!

Now I know some will say we are not an attractive proposition but it looks like a vicious circle. At the very least, the F3 derby should be given night status, a bit of build up and some of the Fox promos they love to make for the other derbies. That gives us something to work on. At this stage there is little proactive support from Fox Sports to build its product outside of Sydney and Melbourne.

Anyway I just found this analysis interesting!
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 17-10-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Well said. 10/10 would read again

Send it to Zelic!!

Thinking of sending it to Hilly for the Fox podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    OK - now I have a real gripe about arvo kickoffs (I know Fox controls it and why) and have done some statto work on this season. The main issues I have with afternoon kickoffs are the following:

* Weather - first and foremost. When summer soccer was first implemented the intention was to have ALL kickoffs after 6pm for reasons of player safety and comfort of spectators.
    * Playing style - no doubt the games in the sun are slower and less exciting. Think of any A-League classic over the years and the majority (not all of course) are night matches.
    * Attendance - It's summer and families have choice, the beach and summer sports (cricket particularly) are obvious alternatives. Have heard some members pull out on gameday because of heat in the stands to "watch it at home".
    * Atmosphere - There is no doubt night games have a different vibe about them. Our stadium is just one that seems louder in an evening. As the games are often quicker and more exciting this lends to greater involvement from the fans.
    * Equity between clubs - If all the above apply does it not mean that clubs with more evening games have an advantage? Better football, bigger crowds, better atmosphere, more passion, more revenue, enhanced reputation over time.

Here is the table I have compiled of what has been allocated this season (rated from highest percentage of night games down):

table.jpg

The interesting points:

* All Sydney derbies, all Melbourne derbies, all Big Blues, all ADL/MV games, all SFC/MC games and all MV/WSW are night fixtures
    * All F3 derbies are afternoon fixtures
    * Of the small night allocations for Jets and CCM, Jets have one sent to Coffs, CCM get their pet NYE game - look at the home percentages to see we really have copped it!
    * MV, MC and SFC have runs of night games going for nearly 3 months each
    * The volatile MV/WSW games are at night, even though this is thought to be an increased security risk for crowd trouble around the world - hence EPL lunchtime kickoffs
    * Perth and Wello have benefitted from the loss of EPL for Fox with Perth having a big increase in night games at home - ALL Wellington home games are at night to suit the 5pm AEDT slot
    * Downside for Wellington is the majority of their travels are afternoon fixtures - a distinct disadvantage playing in Aussie heat when their home games are all on chilly NZ evenings. One of their Perth games is at 11pm NZ time and they have Boxing Day in Newcastle!

Now I know some will say we are not an attractive proposition but it looks like a vicious circle. At the very least, the F3 derby should be given night status, a bit of build up and some of the Fox promos they love to make for the other derbies. That gives us something to work on. At this stage there is little proactive support from Fox Sports to build its product outside of Sydney and Melbourne.

Anyway I just found this analysis interesting!
    Fabulous post. Fox and the FFA need to read this.

So the supporter experience, football spectacle and growth of fan base would incresae with night games? I'd like to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    So the supporter experience, football spectacle and growth of fan base would incresae with night games? I'd like to see that.
    That is exactly what I am saying Hawk though of course some on field success is a crucial building block.

It would be interesting to see how Fox would deal with expansion next time around. More games so either spread the love or have some (shock, horror) concurrent kickoffs.

Fox make more money doing what they do.
    Find a way for them to make money showing "the big games" in the afternoon and they might listen.

Fox aren't gonna listen, but we need LEDMAN and all his cash arguing the point for us too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.

Wouldn't a later start suit Chinese TV times better than afternoon slots? That would be the angle for Ledman

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    It would be interesting to see how Fox would deal with expansion next time around. More games so either spread the love or have some (shock, horror) concurrent kickoffs.
    Excellent work Jetmaster in compiling that data and showing the comparisons.

For now I think we just have to cop it as I can see the reasoning behind FFA wanting to maximise the TV ratings in order to get a better TV broadcast deal. The good thing is that the new deal will be negotiated in coming months and come into effect for next season. This means our club will have every right to say hey we want a fairer share of the night games. I'm not saying to have 80%, just being reasonable say 30-40% which equates to 4 to 6 home night games (depending how many home games we have).
    If not next season then the following we will likely see the comp expand to 12 teams meaning that FFA and the broadcaster/s are going to have to start thinking outside the square a bit anyway. Do we add on say a Thursday night game or a Monday night game? Wouldn't bother me, I would actually prefer a Thursday or Monday night 7pm kickoff then a Sunday arvo at 5pm.
    I think it's been mentioned before but 6pm wouldn't be a bad compromise, I've noticed we have some 5.35pm kickoffs but you go to 6pm and it gives people more time to get to the game for people who work and also who have other sports on.

Thought it would be worth mentioning that I saw a comment on twitter from a SFC supporter to Tony Pignata saying how as a young father he wished there were more arvo games as they have too many at night!!!
    There is just too much of an imbalance now, whether we deserve more night games or not is not the point. Our club needs to fight for a fairer scheduling arrangement, unless it is prepared to forever be typecast as the club that just plays it's home games in the graveyard timeslot on a Sunday arvo.

Letting Fox call all the shots demonstrates what jelly backs the FFA really are. Fox might have paid a lot of money for the rights and all but if the FFA aren't in charge then you really need to question why they even exist.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Letting Fox call all the shots demonstrates what jelly backs the FFA really are. Fox might have paid a lot of money for the rights and all but if the FFA aren't in charge then you really need to question why they even exist.
    same can be said for almost every FA in the world then.

TV ru(i)ns football.

the classico in La Liga kicked off at 10pm once - all for TV

id hope FFA are taking a stronger stance in negatioans for the next TV deal though and wanting more control of kickoff times.
    still, th ebetter the TV audience the beetr the sponsorship for the league - it just sucks that some clubs are seeing better benefits. But it coyuld be worse - we could have been relegated already
    Last edited by GazFish35; 18-10-2016 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.