Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 16/17 HAL Round 2 | Newcastle Jets v Brisbane Roar | Sun 16 Oct 2016, 05:00PM

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    What was the official crowd figure for yesterday?
    I know my membership card didn't scan, and there was at a rough guess about a dozen people whose at-the-gate-purchased-ticket didn't scan either. They ended up just letting us all in.

So I'd say they definitely missed a lot of us in that figure, for I don't know what reason.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    We don't currently have the sort of team that will ever play another team off the park a la Melb City. So we have to play to our strengths, and then ease off where we can, and soak up some pressure before going again. The match yesterday seemed to ebb and flow in that manner. At times we were content to let them have the ball, and when they got within 25m, we blunted their attack. I doubt we'll see a Jets game this season where the opposition don't have a decent number of chances to score. But that's football. As a club, and us fans included, we have to get out of that mindset that when we win it's only because the opposition sucked.
    Leicester won the EPL doing that last year. They very rarely had dominant spells of possession in any match but utilized great ball winning in midfield (Kante) and Pace up front with Vardy and Mahrez and were lethal on fast breaks. The jets have the components to get some results playing that way as with the pace of the guys we currently have out wide and with Steve Ug in the middle. We just need to ensure we take our chances against the better teams

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    Leicester won the EPL doing that last year. They very rarely had dominant spells of possession in any match but utilized great ball winning in midfield (Kante) and Pace up front with Vardy and Mahrez and were lethal on fast breaks. The jets have the components to get some results playing that way as with the pace of the guys we currently have out wide and with Steve Ug in the middle. We just need to ensure we take our chances against the better teams
    I was going to use Leicester as an example but felt like it's become a cliché real quick. Totally agree though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    Lets move to England then, we can win the EPL.

I think the score was a little flattering to us, I missed the first 15 minutes but of the first half I saw we looked under the pump and pretty underwhelming. A few breaks where we came close or could have - but Brisbane could have had a couple also, a great save onto the crossbar from Oar and I remember one of them sending an uncontested volley wide from about 10 metres.

Second half completely different story and awesome to watch. I wouldn't say it was one way traffic but we were pretty well on top and took some chances well. And it was a great feeling walking away after a 4-0 win and hearing everyone so upbeat and positive after a game as opposed to the last couple of seasons.

I don't think its unrealistic for us to be looking at finals this year. We certainly aren't the finished product yet but a few improvements from a squad that hasn't played together all that long will see us very competitive. As others have said our attacking half and midfield is the best its looked in years - good mix of energy, speed and technique along with desire. As difficult as it is I'm starting to feel pretty optimistic for the season ahead. Hopefully that isn't violently debunked over the next fortnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm starting to feel pretty optimistic for the season ahead. Hopefully that isn't violently debunked over the next fortnight.
    This is dead set one of the most Jets statements ever

Be interesting to see how our team looks with both Nordstrand and Kokko at full fitness and healthy

Jets won by four and the Coast lost by 4. So that's Jets 8 - Football Gods 0. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Be interesting to see how our team looks with both Nordstrand and Kokko at full fitness and healthy
    Why you wanna mess with a winning combo.

Nobby fufilling his promise of becoming the next Alidovic, the other bloke is dead set not interested in playing this season.

Bloody Scando's, unreliable as all ****.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Why you wanna mess with a winning combo.

Nobby fufilling his promise of becoming the next Alidovic, the other bloke is dead set not interested in playing this season.

Bloody Scando's, unreliable as all ****.
    THAT could get Vikingjet out of the woodwork!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    This is dead set one of the most Jets statements ever
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Was there a matchday programme available at this game or round 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Yes, will be a nice headache for Jones.
    If the others are performing and we are getting the results, they shouldn't be just given a starting XI spot either....they should have to fight for their positions.
    Which is a good position to be in, one which we haven't been in for a number of years i might add.