Page 25 of 74 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: GVE Gooooooooone

As an additional point, it is clear to me that there is a difference in Gary's mentality between his first and second term. In his first term he was more resigned to let others dictate things that he should have been responsible for. He wasn't fully in control. I think he will acknowledge that he lost control of the squad after the first player exodus following the Grand Final, when all the senior players were unhappy with the way the club was being run. He didn't attempt to reassert his control and he got punished for it with a wooden spoon.

It is clear from the way he firstly treated Wehrman and other players that he is not going to make that mistake again. Unfortunately Werhman bore the brunt (was the scapegoat) for this new resolution. But it is the same resolution you see in Ange. Maybe people aren't willing to see that kind of resolution in him. Ange seems more of a charismatic leader and so he is free to throw his weight around a bit more with less objection.

My point is that he obviously learnt a lesson from his first spell at the Jets, that haters are still punishing him for to suit their agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    What game are people watching to think this is the only thing holding back our possession based game? To me it seems like 70+% of the time we go from defense to attack by hoofing the ball in the air. How would having a #10 change that?
    I stated firstly that he has sorted out the defensive midfield positions but we are yet to see the fruit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hauss View Post
    I stated firstly that he has sorted out the defensive midfield positions but we are yet to see the fruit of it.
    How does having a different defensive midfielder with the same lack of options change anything? Zenon can be the greatest player in the world yet his options are still going to be two centre backs, Birra or very occasionally the other DM, whoever that might be. Our attack is almost entirely quick counters or attempting to capitalise on opposition mistakes. I don't buy this "we are attempting to build from the back" rhetoric that is constantly churned out as part of the GvE philosophy.

Ok I think I've solved this thread.

Half of you think that apart from all the shit things he does, GVE is mega awesome.

The other half thinks that apart from the good things he does, GVE is ****ing useless.

(Well except MFKS who just seems to yell a lot about not much in particular).

Got it, thanks.

hahaah wehrman the scapegoat hahahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    hahaah wehrman the scapegoat hahahahahahahahaha
    Thought his problem was a total lack of heavies?
    Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    How does having a different defensive midfielder with the same lack of options change anything? Zenon can be the greatest player in the world yet his options are still going to be two centre backs, Birra or very occasionally the other DM, whoever that might be. Our attack is almost entirely quick counters or attempting to capitalise on opposition mistakes. I don't buy this "we are attempting to build from the back" rhetoric that is constantly churned out as part of the GvE philosophy.
    Again, as I said in my first post, Gary is reported as seeing a lack of spark in the current players and by introducing Caravella he was trying to get everyone to lift. Maybe with the events that have transpired, with Jobe leaving, you could guess that he wasn't impressed with the effort he was seeing at training and wanted to alter the team dynamics a bit. I don't know exactly, but like I said, a decision has been made and we'll see the fruit of this in the next month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Ok I think I've solved this thread.

Half of you think that apart from all the shit things he does, GVE is mega awesome.

The other half thinks that apart from the good things he does, GVE is ****ing useless.

(Well except MFKS who just seems to yell a lot about not much in particular).

Got it, thanks.
    lol, spot on

Just add me, who is pretty much this guy:

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    As for comparing GVE to Ange well ridiculous comparison.
    Ange signed players to turn Victree into Championship contenders this season Milligan Finkler Coe Traore etc. GVE signed ****ing kids with a distinct longer term vision. When Ange was at Roar he also signed the older player in Broich Solozarno Berisha Smith Theoklitos etc
    So, Ang signed players to win the league and Gve signed players to potentially come good one day down the track. This is folly.

If gve signed established players for a top 4 finish and signed SOME top youth to continue the good results (ie gypos) I would applaud.

I do agree with the destablising and pride bit.

Ange and Popovich take less than half a season to get their respective teams firing. GVE is yet to get the Jets firing after more than a season.
    Enough with this it will be ok in the long term shit.

The only credentials GVE has is that he used to be a very good footballer. With respect to man management, which is pretty much paramount in profesional sport - he's a joke.

and what would milligan, coe & finkler be - about 26/27 years old? not exactly old buggers, still 5 years at least left in them (even though gui is out for the season with injury). and traore would be around 20 (but in fairness, ange didn't sign him).

pretty sure berisha is only around 26, solozarno is around 23. but i do see where you were attempting to head mfkfc
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by sh10 View Post
    Just add me, who is pretty much this guy:

This post wins the thread.
    Brilliant.

Bringing this muppet back was always going to be a dogs breakfast. GVE talks a great game but thats it. Seriously how much football have we seen this season that remotely resembles anything like the style he preaches ?. SFA would be the answer to that one.

The sooner the club moves him on albeit in another role or gone altogether the better things will be.

There was never any good going to come from bringing back a manager who's style has not changed one bit.

No good trying to compare GVE to an Ange or a Poppa that would be the ultimate insult to those two " real " managers of football and just as importantly men.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The only credentials GVE has is that he used to be a very good footballer.
    lol wut?

the main problem with Van Egmond from the haters side is that people don't buy into his vision because he's a bit of a ****

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Ange and Popovich take less than half a season to get their respective teams firing. GVE is yet to get the Jets firing after more than a season.
    Enough with this it will be ok in the long term shit.
    Lets just take a look some players Ange and Popovic have signed for this season: Topor, Traore, Labo, Milligan, Covic, Flores.

All are proven players that can play at A-League level. Having played alot of games at this level.

The players we've signed are much younger and have less experience at A-League. Thus it will take time for them to adapt to this level.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

^ This is the big leagues a results business. Results bring sponsorships, crowds and additional membership just to name a few.

Who is getting them who is not ?.

I got no problem with GvE wanting to harness the potential of up and coming youth, just don't use our first team as some frigg'n weekly experiment to satisfy his own ego.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with pv4's earlier post, I believe we will not make the 6 this year, and it pisses me off when I see the type of football the other teams are playing. Why not us. I honestly can't see any light at the end of the tunnel for this year or next. The other consideration is the PR side of things, there will always be 6-7K that will turn up for a game, but does the general public want to be entertained by the current team, maybe, maybe not. It would be cheaper for me to just get Fox on.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    The players we've signed are much younger and have less experience at A-League. Thus it will take time for them to adapt to this level.
    I'm confused, isn't this what the ****ing youth league is for?

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    I'm confused, isn't this what the ****ing youth league is for?
    There is still a gulf in class between the two leagues, otherwise Jesic will be killing it at HAL level, rather than NYL. There will always be this gap.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    ^ This is the big leagues a results business. Results bring sponsorships, crowds and additional membership just to name a few.
    Who is getting them who is not ?.
    I got no problem with GvE wanting to harness the potential of up and coming youth, just don't use our first team as some frigg'n weekly experiment to satisfy his own ego.
    Well our membership for this season wasn't impacted by last season's 7th, given that it has grown. As for results, well GvE is getting them for us, not Ange, Arnie, Kossie etc. As for a weekly experiment, over the last 4 weeks he has not made a specific change to the squad, apart from Regan, and that was probably more a disciplinary issue, more than anything. And before you bitch that Regan should be playing, the fact is he had a go at his boss (in GvE), and no employee can expect preferential treatment after such a display, no matter who you are.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

I will happily bet a carton with you we will not reach 11k next season with GVE in charge.