Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 16/17 HAL Round 5 | Wellington Phoenix v Newcastle Jets | Sat 5 Nov 2016, 5:35PM

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    First 25!!!!.... u generous, more like 65 to 70
    i was. fools no-one

ledman out. unless the Jets are mansion property on the north shore.

All I can assume from that performance is that they were trying to play people in different positions to see if would work in another injury crisis.

Hoole has a starting spot cemented, perhaps a week or two coming off the bench wouldn't hurt to bring his ego back in check.

Both goals again from stuff ups. Doesn't take away from fact we deserved to lose for how we played.

I am a proponent of Poljak but in a 442 doesn't offer what we need as he does not have the passing range. Bring brown back into the centre please.

Clut needs to play mor minutes.

Hoping we start kokko.

Nabbout, not sure why he even played.. Doesn't look ready for game time. Well we do know, but the fact him being injured and coming on and being our near best player said as much about the team performance against Wellington than anything.

Repeat of that against city and our season has worry signs written all over it..
    Last edited by rhysd; 06-11-2016 at 06:25 AM.

Poljak is way too slow to be a starting central midfielder in this league. He doesn't have the stamina to play box to box and should be coming off the bench.

Our most effective midfielder and the person you want to be getting plenty of touches of the ball, is for some inexplicable reason stuck out on the right where he barely sees it. And to make matters worse, Brown isn't really that fast so could never get away from his marker even in space.

Nobby is not effective leading the line and should only be played as a no 10 or a second striker. He is also unfit at the moment which leaves us with very little movement up front.

Hoole is not a bad 10 but when you combine that with a 9 in Nobby who isn't moving about an awful lot, it's not pretty. We are left with very little movement resulting in long balls because there is no clear pass and no central striker to draw the defence in.

To me those are the major priblems with this team. Hoff, Vujica, Boogs all tried and Kouts did ok for his first senior start, but unless with fix the centre of the park it's never going to work.

Thank god we only have to wait another 6-8 weeks for Chinese Messi to get fit enough to sit on the bench

But why does every single coach we ever have bar miller i think play players in areas there not suited too or comfortable in. Then wait to long to make changes. Gve did it Stubbins did it Jones did its Cant remember if Zane did it. Wait miller did it with Kanta at CB. Its sooo farked every new coach gets a coaching for dummies book and thats it

Clut brown and Uga in central of the park. Pick the rest of the team around them. They are your three best passers and hold possession the best. That has and always will be the problem that has surrounded this team. Can't link backs with forwards without a midfield.

Play Hoffman in the youf team.... he ll still give 100% (whatever that means?)
    Can't pass, can't shoot. Can't throw, can't defend...
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Play Hoffman in the youf team.... he ll still give 100% (whatever that means?)
    Can't pass, can't shoot. Can't throw, can't defend...
    he defended Pretty good last year
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    Poljak is way too slow to be a starting central midfielder in this league. He doesn't have the stamina to play box to box and should be coming off the bench.

Our most effective midfielder and the person you want to be getting plenty of touches of the ball, is for some inexplicable reason stuck out on the right where he barely sees it. And to make matters worse, Brown isn't really that fast so could never get away from his marker even in space.

Nobby is not effective leading the line and should only be played as a no 10 or a second striker. He is also unfit at the moment which leaves us with very little movement up front.

Hoole is not a bad 10 but when you combine that with a 9 in Nobby who isn't moving about an awful lot, it's not pretty. We are left with very little movement resulting in long balls because there is no clear pass and no central striker to draw the defence in.

To me those are the major priblems with this team. Hoff, Vujica, Boogs all tried and Kouts did ok for his first senior start, but unless with fix the centre of the park it's never going to work.

Thank god we only have to wait another 6-8 weeks for Chinese Messi to get fit enough to sit on the bench
    Poljak shouldn't be trying to get box to box....he shouldn't be getting much more than 10 metres from the 2 centre backs....and that's why we concede crap goals.....to many times our "defensive midfielder " is out of position and not concentrating on his job.

Yeah agree with all that say Brown shouldn't be wide...needs to be central.

Nobby has been asked to do to much of the donkey work in the last couple of weeks due to the ****ing absolute laziness of Hoole. Play Nobby in the 10 and Hoole wide, or better still youth til he grows up.

Thought the kid at the back did pretty good for his first hit out.

when the whole 'screener' position became 'cool' with makalele (and yes old farts theres prob an older example) he was there to win the ball then distribute to the proper mids.

over time it seems that the screener has now become two blokes who's primary task is there to win the ball.

the good teams still only used one yeah? (Lester with Kante, Barca with Busquets, Ausses with Grella, Jets with Stu)

would love to see the Jets go back to one screener (Ooga Booga) and play a proper mid like Brown next to him.

this poljak/ ooga booga combo aint working.

also, if we are gonna be more interested in continually 'recycling possession' rather than having a dig then we might want to get those lumbering oafs at the back a few yards up the pitch. by the time the ball goes back there the space between the mids and backs is massive and the opposition press blocks the space.

GVE needs to get them up the park and at least make the next 'in' ball a lot easier than it is.

anyway what do i know im a 12 year old in his moms basement.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    when the whole 'screener' position became 'cool' with makalele (and yes old farts theres prob an older example) he was there to win the ball then distribute to the proper mids.

over time it seems that the screener has now become two blokes who's primary task is there to win the ball.

the good teams still only used one yeah? (Lester with Kante, Barca with Busquets, Ausses with Grella, Jets with Stu)

would love to see the Jets go back to one screener (Ooga Booga) and play a proper mid like Brown next to him.

this poljak/ ooga booga combo aint working.

also, if we are gonna be more interested in continually 'recycling possession' rather than having a dig then we might want to get those lumbering oafs at the back a few yards up the pitch. by the time the ball goes back there the space between the mids and backs is massive and the opposition press blocks the space.

GVE needs to get them up the park and at least make the next 'in' ball a lot easier than it is.

anyway what do i know im a 12 year old in his moms basement.
    Good call Plague.....I'm a fan of the 4-1-3-2
    When all fully fit I could see the following line up:
    Duncan
    Cowburn-Boogs-Mullen-Vuj
    Super Ugar
    Hoole-Brown-Nabbout
    Kokko- Clut

Haliti-Nords-Jackson-Poljack-Keeper
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Duncan
    Cowburn-Boogs-Mullen-Vuj
    Super Ugar
    Hoole-Brown-Nabbout
    Kokko- Clut

This looks good. And i feel teams only need two screeners because the forward players dont work hard enough
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

Could not believe our starting team.
    How could Hoff start wherehe did when there were better options for that role on the bench?
    Why was Brown not central?

I would have started (considering injuries)
    Duncan
    Cowabunga, Boogs, Alphabet Kid, Ivan the Terrible
    Clut, Super Ug, Brown, Haircut Hoole (mid diamond)
    The Nob, The Kok.

The Nix conceded 6 last week. If we had pressured them early and dented their confidence they may have buckled. Instead we sat back and let them play themselves into form and confidence. Then when it wasn't working (clearly by halftime) our manager did nothing to change things.

I think Hoole and Clut would have worried them out wide. Hoff was the wrong choice. Brown is at his best in the centre and we need him bringing Nobby and Kokko into the game.

Nabout should have been rested.

Duncan
    Cowburn-Boogs-Mullen-Vuj
    Super Ugar
    Hoole-Brown-Nabbout
    Kokko- Clut

This every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Super Ug was killing pre-season on this role. Jones has this obsession that packing defence is going to win us games. It's not, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Could not believe our starting team.
    How could Hoff start wherehe did when there were better options for that role on the bench?
    Why was Brown not central?

I would have started (considering injuries)
    Duncan
    Cowabunga, Boogs, Alphabet Kid, Ivan the Terrible
    Clut, Super Ug, Brown, Haircut Hoole (mid diamond)
    The Nob, The Kok.

The Nix conceded 6 last week. If we had pressured them early and dented their confidence they may have buckled. Instead we sat back and let them play themselves into form and confidence. Then when it wasn't working (clearly by halftime) our manager did nothing to change things.

I think Hoole and Clut would have worried them out wide. Hoff was the wrong choice. Brown is at his best in the centre and we need him bringing Nobby and Kokko into the game.

Nabout should have been rested.
    A good summisation of how things were played out. We sat back and let them dictate like we did against Sydney. Defending in numbers and then when we had the ball we gave it straight back to Nix as we were not set up in trying to play football in a positive manner.
    It was better and more positive in the 2nd half only because we were down 2-0 early and had nothing to lose but to open up and start playing.

Our negative defensive mindset in the 1st half is summed up in the way Nobby, our #9, quite often at corners or free-kicks was guarding the back post. Ball pops out, we have no outlet and the ball goes straight back to the Nix.

A few people have mentioned my thoughts on the game as well - particulary that Poljak seems at this stage to be too slow in the midfield to play the way we were when playing well earlier in the season. As an option he was either too far away or couldn't/wouldn't shake his marker to present himself as an option.

What is evident to me is that the press from our team has gone. In pre-season, round 1 and 2 we pressed really high and really fast but the same team are static and if they do press it's one person only. We could and should have been pressing the Nix in this area and a lack of personnel through injury isn't a reason for this not happening. The Nix certinaly did it to us!

Not only the absence of our press, but our ball movement was far too slow. The Nix could easily recover and press us.

I also agree we wasted Brown out wide. He should have been up there with Nordstrand and Hoole moved to the wide left where he has had some level of success this year.

Anyway, we've got a few days before we play again - a quick turnaround. Interesting to see what changes. I'm worried for Nabbout because he made a great impact when he came on - but I saw some grimances on his face during the match. I don't think he's 100% and we are risking him being out longer by bringing him back too quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post

Poljak isn't a box to box midfielder.

He's a 6, and pretty good at it. Our shit forward line and lack of CBs/ shit GK is what hurts us

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Clut brown and Uga in central of the park. Pick the rest of the team around them. They are your three best passers and hold possession the best. That has and always will be the problem that has surrounded this team. Can't link backs with forwards without a midfield.
    I still think you need a ball winner. Can't have 3 ball players in a 3 man midfield imo

Duncan
    Cowburn-Boogs-Mullen-Vuj
    Super Ugar
    Hoole-Brown-Nabbout
    Kokko- Clut

Too thin for defensive cover when you consider our backline imo

Our backline is too shit for 1 holder. With our current squad we're better off playing on the counter with Nabbout and Hoole isolating defenders. Most of our chances have come from this.... if Kokko can hold the ball up and be a danger from set pieces and crosses then all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    I still think you need a ball winner. Can't have 3 ball players in a 3 man midfield imo
    As I've suggested before I feel Uga needs to be morphed into that ball winner. It's a waste picking poljak and Uga to do ultimately the same job.