Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 16/17 HAL Round 7 | Newcastle Jets v Central Coast Mariners | Sun 20 Nov 2016 5:00PM

Don't know how it hasn't been mentioned before but Kokko is one tough c**t, just watched the replay after being at the game yesterday and the bloke is spitting blood for the rest of the game and didn't take a step backward, lesser man would of come off

Hope his surgery went well and he can come back into the fray and claim a starting berth for the rest of the season. His hold up play has been excellent from what I've seen, and will give us a different dimension if we need to play with low possession / counter attacking against some better teams.

what's the go there - can ya just headbutt whoever you want these days and get away with it because it's not a high foot?

has anyone ever been done for dangerous use of the noggin?

kokko was blindsided really - had eyes for the ball and his back to old mate who clocked him. not ideal.

Even high foot is a bullshit rule. How many bicycle kicks get pulled up even if they kick someone square in the face. It's a joke

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    what's the go there - can ya just headbutt whoever you want these days and get away with it because it's not a high foot?

has anyone ever been done for dangerous use of the noggin?

kokko was blindsided really - had eyes for the ball and his back to old mate who clocked him. not ideal.
    I'm with you on this. From behind the goal, it looked like a fair shout for a penalty. I put that reaction down to my bias, but maybe the replay suggests the same thing?

Yesterday was a disappointing display, and had we snatched a result I would have been ecstatic but couldn't put my hand on my heart and say we overly deserved it. In fact it would have been papering over the cracks.

We are currently 5 matches without a win. You hear many fans from teams overseas saying they are focussing on getting "x points from the next block of x games". If we were applying the same to our situation, we should have been aiming to get 7 points from the last 3 games as a minimum. Wins against the struggling Nix, Mariners and a point form City.

Looking ahead we have Victory, Perth and Sydney. We will be doing well, I think, to get 1 point. Victory are rested, Sydney undefeated and we haven't beaten Perth in 5 years, let alone winning over there in over 10 years or bringing back even a point 8 years ago.

I've got a real fear things are going to get worse before they get better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    I'm with you on this. From behind the goal, it looked like a fair shout for a penalty. I put that reaction down to my bias, but maybe the replay suggests the same thing?
    tbh i've never seen anything like it given and i can't imagine it ever would be, so not crying about it - but it doesn't look great.

there is no way kokko could possibly see what was coming, hence why he got smacked in the side of the head

No pen imo, shit happens.

^^^

Many thanks for setting me straight comrades.

Jets deserve nothing. Agreed

For me, it should be treated the same way soft refereeing would deal with "regular" challenges in the middle of the park. If you blindside someone and take their legs out or even body challenges, ie knock someone over with a shoulder from just behind or in the back, it would be a free kick most times. With perfect information, if the ref knew he got blindsided and essentially got ran through to hit the ball - then I think it should be a foul. Asking a tough question there of the ref though. I couldnt' really tell what happened from the stands and as such I didn't feel aggrieved with a lack of decision.

While on that point though. It was beyond me how Tavares? is it, their black CM, did not get a card yesterday. He committed two professional fouls much worse and more blatant than the one that Poljak got carded for yesterday, the only difference was that his were in the first half and Poljak's in the second. I know its often a reality of how the games are managed but it still pisses me off seeing the same thing in the same match treated differently based on what the clock says.

To clarify I don't mind the refs being a bit lenient in the first 10 minutes but if you're gonna book people from 55 minutes on for soft as shit fouls (Nabbout's card, no problem with Poljak's yellow) then at 25 minutes in people blatantly dragging people back for several seconds should be carded. Especially if its not even the first time they've done it that match.
    Last edited by Macca; 21-11-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Yesterday was a disappointing display, and had we snatched a result I would have been ecstatic but couldn't put my hand on my heart and say we overly deserved it. In fact it would have been papering over the cracks.

We are currently 5 matches without a win. You hear many fans from teams overseas saying they are focussing on getting "x points from the next block of x games". If we were applying the same to our situation, we should have been aiming to get 7 points from the last 3 games as a minimum. Wins against the struggling Nix, Mariners and a point form City.

Looking ahead we have Victory, Perth and Sydney. We will be doing well, I think, to get 1 point. Victory are rested, Sydney undefeated and we haven't beaten Perth in 5 years, let alone winning over there in over 10 years or bringing back even a point 8 years ago.

I've got a real fear things are going to get worse before they get better.
    Under Jones no way there gonna get better
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

I think the game has been well discussed here.

What has been let go was the shit awful performance by the galloping Kermit in green.

He was appalling both ways.

Cracked me up at one stage to see Hoole ankle biting Tavares (?) on halfway while the big man held his shirt and had his hand in Hoole's gut holding him off, then 5 seconds late the most powderpuff challenge from Hoff gives them a free kick. There was also a farcical high foot incident, the ignored push in the back that led to a free kick for them 30 seconds later (they scored), Kokko's jaw and the red card ( I have no sympathy for the Coasties but if it had been one of ours I would be pissed off). One of the worst refereeing performances I have seen in a while.

Also upset to hear of Kokko's jaw. It means the pea hearted haircut will keep playing. Get fit Haliti! We could have used your passion yesterday!
    Last edited by Hunter403; 21-11-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Podcast review of this match will be available from 7am. Some great discussions on our inability to start games with any urgency or fluidity amongst other topics.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Under Jones no way there gonna get better
    the next tombstone has this on it