Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finishing

Finishing

Is this something that can be taught?

Hoole seems incapable of it, and Clut doesn't appear great at it either. Even Hoole's goal on the weekend didn't seem to be cleanly hit and only snuck in, and Clut had a brilliant chance at the end that he struck embarrassingly wide and with no conviction at all.

This post isn't about those players, but whether people think finishing is something that a player can learn? Some players seem to be natural finishers and know how to strike a ball. Other players know where to pop up, but can only succeed in somehow bundling the ball over the line time and again but with no real finesse/surety etc..

I was against signing Bridge or Smeltz last week. After the performance on Saturday, I'm now wondering whether it would be helpful to have a natural finisher on the end of our chances.

I think Hoole's goal only went in because 9999/10000 times he hits that with his right foot and attempts to curl it in. I think he took Reddy by surprise hitting it with his left foot.

I reckon we just need to hire Griff to the coaching staff as our finishing coach.

Don't McBreen and Griff actually run a finishing school for strikers?

Banned
    Watch these blokes st warm up.

When they do the shooting drill.

Watch how far they miss by
    Watch how often they miss.

Obviously there is no expectations on them to get things right.

Watch the rivals HAL side and their efforts. They will look like getting it right matters.

I remember going to watch game in England years ago.

First game I went to see was at QPR who were a Championship side at the time.

The shooting drill that day it was noticeable the ability to strike the ball

Basically every bloke put their foot through it at top power and belted it at goal.
    Now the accuracy was not 100%but they had the power there.

Our blokes neither strike balls well consistently or strike the ball accurately

I will say this is a skill that can be coached

i dont think you can teach this, its part of you or its not.
    unfortunately we don't have a finisher, we have a finish player who was hired to do the finishing, but the coach doesn't like him apparently, as he was the other coaches finisher.

People aren't born with ability. It's drilled into them at a young age. Being able to know where areas of the goal is without looking for it. They do it so often that it becomes second nature. This becomes harder as you get older. Nabbout has it. Clut can finish and would have had one in first half if it wasn't for Reddy's outstanding save.
    Train how you play. You train half hearted you will play half hearted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    unfortunately we don't have a finisher, we have a finish player who was hired to do the finishing, but the coach doesn't like him apparently, as he was the other coaches finisher.
    Do you mean Kokko? I think his injury has kept him out more than Jones.

MFKS - I haven't been there early enough this season, but have noticed in previous seasons we've had players who don't seem to have any trouble finding the net well in those warm up drills, and then come game time they freeze up and scuff the ball to the keeper.

Maybe there's two different factors here - striking a ball well, and striking it well under pressure. I've seen guys in All Age P strike a ball well without any pressure in training/warm up drills. On game day, they look like they've never kicked a ball before.

I'm still not sure what category Clut falls under.

[QUOTE=halo se7en;169201]Do you mean Kokko? I think his injury has kept him out more than Jones.

cant remember if it was the end of the telecast on Saturday night or sunday sports show, commentators were discussing this and kokko was mentioned about being released in the next window, due to being millers man.

haven't seen much of him due to injury, but dosent matter where you play, if your a finisher your a finisher.....

i mean, thats a pretty weird thing to say.

now if you'll excuse me im off to burn down some schools.
    useless buildings........
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

cant remember if it was the end of the telecast on Saturday night or sunday sports show, commentators were discussing this and kokko was mentioned about being released in the next window, due to being millers man.

haven't seen much of him due to injury, but dosent matter where you play, if your a finisher your a finisher.....
    Oh ok, I didn't hear that. If the guy was crocked then fair enough, but I think he's been a little unlucky so far.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post

I was born a mad ****. I just went their for 13 years for the bitches.

I would agree that some players find finishing comes naturally to them.

I don't believe this is the only way to acquire the skill. Hard work and repetition can vastly improve a player's ability to finish.

Think about academics - some kids don't need to study too much to get good grades. Others have to work their butt off to reach that same level. It's all attainable

I think we are getting confused between having better coordination etc then others, to actually putting a ball in the back of the net. This is something only training can improve. How far someone is limited to be able to do this often comes back to their natural instincts such as reaction, coordination etc. All these are still taught from a young age.

If we argue that a person has 'Natural ability' such as finishing but once born is neither raised well or this 'ability' nurtured, does this person still have it? It just doesn't make sense. A lot like the crap I write..

Practice in striking the ball with accuracy will improve anybody.

The human eye is drawn to light (colour) and movement. You kick/throw/bowl where you look. The trick for a good striker is not to look at the moving keeper in the colourful shirt. Look at him and that is where the ball will go. A good striker needs to train his mind to look at the stationery place where he wants the ball to go.

Hang on. What!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post

????????

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post

MFKS - I haven't been there early enough this season, but have noticed in previous seasons we've had players who don't seem to have any trouble finding the net well in those warm up drills, and then come game time they freeze up and scuff the ball to the keeper.

Maybe there's two different factors here - striking a ball well, and striking it well under pressure. I've seen guys in All Age P strike a ball well without any pressure in training/warm up drills. On game day, they look like they've never kicked a ball before.

I'm still not sure what category Clut falls under.
    I seriously doubt our blokes are actually held too accountable for failure at pretty much anything.

Not having a pop here but as a football club with the kulcha we have had of tolerating failure and re signing the likes of Kanta BK Hoffman etc without much interest in noticeable improvement it say to me none of these blokes are under any pressure

I would suggest these blokes in all facets of them being professional footballers at our club are not put under enough pressure to succeed and improve

As a result we have a squad full of players who constantly deliver underachievement at our club

Maybe if our club actually aspires and pursues perfection instead of the attitude they have of being happy participating then we may get somewhere at seeing blokes improve

[QUOTE=Jardelsimage;169204]
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post

Sunday sports show? You mean shootout with tara rushton?
    I dont recall hearing it during the game telecast

[QUOTE=Tommyjet;169230]

Sunday sports show? You mean shootout with tara rushton?
    I dont recall hearing it during the game telecast
    not sure might have even been on the radio, but when they said it and it was definitely a male commentator, I thought that's interesting....
    was Bozza on the A-league wrap up on Saturday night after the game, I keep thinking it was him...for some reason..

I would have thought Kokko would be our best Finnish-er for sure!
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !