Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finishing

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Do you mean Kokko? I think his injury has kept him out more than Jones.

MFKS - I haven't been there early enough this season, but have noticed in previous seasons we've had players who don't seem to have any trouble finding the net well in those warm up drills, and then come game time they freeze up and scuff the ball to the keeper.

Maybe there's two different factors here - striking a ball well, and striking it well under pressure. I've seen guys in All Age P strike a ball well without any pressure in training/warm up drills. On game day, they look like they've never kicked a ball before.

I'm still not sure what category Clut falls under.
    I reckon I could name one just quietly.....

But to me I think it can be taught, but the players need to show the drive to want to improve, as I think the member said, our blokes don't seem to care if they miss.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    I reckon I could name one just quietly.....
    Harsh but fair lol

Whats kokkos stats? google someone

There's a big difference between smashing a lay off into the net with the youth team keeper in goal and actual real game time finishing.

Who's the best finisher in the a league?.....how many do they score from lay offs on the edge of the box.....fact is kokko looks like our only out and out striker and he's hardly had any opportunity to show if/how good he is.

[QUOTE=Jardelsimage;169238]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post

not sure might have even been on the radio, but when they said it and it was definitely a male commentator, I thought that's interesting....
    was Bozza on the A-league wrap up on Saturday night after the game, I keep thinking it was him...for some reason..
    can just see us release Kokko, for him to be snapped up by any other team in the league and start banging goals in second half of the season for fun - that would be typical Jets foresight to release potential and keep the chaff...
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

[QUOTE=turbojetfireV8;169269]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post

can just see us release Kokko, for him to be snapped up by any other team in the league and start banging goals in second half of the season for fun - that would be typical Jets foresight to release potential and keep the chaff...
    why not, what has he done?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    There's a big difference between smashing a lay off into the net with the youth team keeper in goal and actual real game time finishing.

Who's the best finisher in the a league?.....how many do they score from lay offs on the edge of the box.....fact is kokko looks like our only out and out striker and he's hardly had any opportunity to show if/how good he is.

So if your theory holds true then your Jordan Speiths your Jason Days your Rory McIlroys shouldn't bother practicing sinking a 6ft putt as it ain't replicating the pressure of a real match situation where the putt is worth trophies and $$$
    ??

Golf is a perfect example of how skills and ability to execute skills is developed from practice and repetition.

It ain't a natural gift. It is hard work and practice that sets the great players apart from the others.

Just as it is in football.

It is an acquired skill that Cr7 Messi etc have Honed through practice

[QUOTE=hawk;169273]
    Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post

why not, what has he done?
    from the very little game time he's had thanks to Trani's extras in the preseason and a gyppo headbutt, he's drawn the defenders, made chances and looked dangerous - something we've been lacking for a while, we need him out on the field, not f*cking releasing him so he can score against us first time we come up against him...
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Service to Kokko has been horrid.

The bloke put a header on target and drew an great save from the keeper with it, while his jaw was broken.
    I reckon that suggests he might have something to offer if we get him the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.

Wtf is it with people wanting kokko gone? Fu*k me!

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

So if your theory holds true then your Jordan Speiths your Jason Days your Rory McIlroys shouldn't bother practicing sinking a 6ft putt as it ain't replicating the pressure of a real match situation where the putt is worth trophies and $$$
    ??

Golf is a perfect example of how skills and ability to execute skills is developed from practice and repetition.

It ain't a natural gift. It is hard work and practice that sets the great players apart from the others.

Just as it is in football.

It is an acquired skill that Cr7 Messi etc have Honed through practice
    Are we signing one of them....wow what a surprise. Didn't think the owner would stump up that much cash....though Rory is a manc so he'd do anything for cash no doubt.

Oh and no my "theory" is completely opposite to your example because in golf a six foot putt is something that happens on a regular basis.

I agree that striking a ball, placement, power all are skills that should be practiced, just the same that juggling can help with ball control but would you have one of those guys that does the thousand juggles and tricks as our no 10.... can he run with the ball, can he pass a ball, can he juggle it if some thug like Seb rhiall is kicking him across the knees.....

Fornaroli without a doubt. Would bank on him finding the net from anywhere within 30yds of goal.

Banned
    Are we signing one of them....wow what a surprise. Didn't think the owner would stump up that much cash....though Rory is a manc so he'd do anything for cash no doubt.

Oh and no my "theory" is completely opposite to your example because in golf a six foot putt is something that happens on a regular basis.

I agree that striking a ball, placement, power all are skills that should be practiced, just the same that juggling can help with ball control but would you have one of those guys that does the thousand juggles and tricks as our no 10.... can he run with the ball, can he pass a ball, can he juggle it if some thug like Seb rhiall is kicking him across the knees.....
    Nice work going round in circles

Your original point was about the benefits of practice and you basically said practice isn't that important as it doesn't replicate the pressure of a match situation

That is true it doesn't replicate the pressure of asthma match

Standing over a a 6ft putt on the practice green ain't the same as standing over a 6ft at Augusta with the Masters on the line

But the reason these blokes practice that 6ft putt is so they have a technique that stands up under pressure

Just as they hit thousands of balls at the range each week. So it stands up under pressure

Skills to execute under pressure are developed by practice

No other way

Is this something that can be taught?

Hoole seems incapable of it, and Clut doesn't appear great at it either. Even Hoole's goal on the weekend didn't seem to be cleanly hit and only snuck in, and Clut had a brilliant chance at the end that he struck embarrassingly wide and with no conviction at all.

This post isn't about those players, but whether people think finishing is something that a player can learn? Some players seem to be natural finishers and know how to strike a ball. Other players know where to pop up, but can only succeed in somehow bundling the ball over the line time and again but with no real finesse/surety etc..

I was against signing Bridge or Smeltz last week. After the performance on Saturday, I'm now wondering whether it would be helpful to have a natural finisher on the end of our chances.
    Practice what you want to be good at...

Nice work going round in circles

Your original point was about the benefits of practice and you basically said practice isn't that important as it doesn't replicate the pressure of a match situation

That is true it doesn't replicate the pressure of asthma match

Standing over a a 6ft putt on the practice green ain't the same as standing over a 6ft at Augusta with the Masters on the line

But the reason these blokes practice that 6ft putt is so they have a technique that stands up under pressure

Just as they hit thousands of balls at the range each week. So it stands up under pressure

Skills to execute under pressure are developed by practice

No other way
    So there's hope for Hoole as long as he practices, but he better be quick or he'll go the same way as Virgili.

I really got a lot from reading the book BOUNCE.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bounce-Myth.../dp/0007350546
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

So there's hope for Hoole as long as he practices, but he better be quick or he'll go the same way as Virgili.
    Rest assured there's NO hope for AHoole, we're stuck with him and that's exactly why Arnold showed him the door from SFC,
    1. Uncoachable
    2. Can't shoot

Quote Originally Posted by 6ft11 View Post
    Rest assured there's NO hope for AHoole, we're stuck with him and that's exactly why Arnold showed him the door from SFC,
    1. Uncoachable
    2. Can't shoot
    go to the top of the class young man.........

Natural striker instincts ie being in the right place at the right time, deciding in a split second whether to shoot or take a touch, whether to head the ball or chest it etc can be worked on and improved to a certain extent but ultimately a player either has it or they don't.
    Technique in regards to shooting, striking the ball as Member has mentioned can be worked on and with repetition improved greatly so that a player is hitting it with confidence and belief that he will hit the target nearly every time.

of course we aren't allowed to put any of the focus on the teachers are we............
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG