Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1030

Thread: The EPL Thread aka Euro Snobs

EPL - English Penalty League
    This round has gotta be up there in the record books...?
    Klyden, after inhaling the smoke from a cigarette:- (S02E11)
    "I feel as if I have been standing my entire life, and I just sat down."
    The Orville - returning to SBS. June 3rd, 2022

For the record, Gillette was in charge at Stockley Park for the @rsenal v Oilscum.
    Klyden, after inhaling the smoke from a cigarette:- (S02E11)
    "I feel as if I have been standing my entire life, and I just sat down."
    The Orville - returning to SBS. June 3rd, 2022

Looks like Villa have signed Digne from Everton..
    I'd read a few weeks ago that he was close to signing with Newcastle, but looks like they've been pipped..

The main impression of the season, for me personally, is how great De Gea is playing now. Already named Player of the Month twice and Man of the Match six times. He even solved the penalty problem, which was perhaps the main weak point of his entire career...

Got no idea about Romans ties to Putin or anything but he leaves having saved English football. No one wanted only United and Arsenal winning it every year and he made it possible for other clubs to compete

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    I think most people would rather actual football clubs propped up by supporters than the sportswashing petro states and oligarchs that Abramovich heralded the start of

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    I think most people would rather actual football clubs propped up by supporters than the sportswashing petro states and oligarchs that Abramovich heralded the start of
    I mean It started way earlier then that? Liverpool bankrolled in the 80s, United in the 90s and before that, Supporters owning clubs would be great but takes alot of work IMO, Roman stopped the prem turning into a two team league
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

I find your blind love for Chelsea to be admirable, Stanny..
    I don't think you can say Roman "saved English football" though...

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I find your blind love for Chelsea to be admirable, Stanny..
    I don't think you can say Roman "saved English football" though...
    So you prefer Arsenal and United winning everything while we all look on? No thank you

yes, I think everyone other than the most blinkered Chelsea, Man City and Newcastle fans see positives in the ridiculous skewed market that was brought about by oligarchs and petro regime money flooding into the game

football supremacy goes in cycles, teams win for a while, then they drop down a little on the pyramid while others shine - sure Arsenal and Man U were winning when Abramovich took, but that wasn't going to be the only way from there onwards, and hadn't been for that long - look at Liverpool's supremacy in the 80s

suggesting that Abramovich's ill gotten gains being splashed around to win everything, in the manner we're now seeing Man City and will soon see Newcastle as a positive for football is a ludicrous position

and suggesting that the Glazers or Fenways Sports Group are as evil as Putin's Russia or the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is also a ludicrous position

yes, I think everyone other than the most blinkered Chelsea, Man City and Newcastle fans see positives in the ridiculous skewed market that was brought about by oligarchs and petro regime money flooding into the game

football supremacy goes in cycles, teams win for a while, then they drop down a little on the pyramid while others shine - sure Arsenal and Man U were winning when Abramovich took, but that wasn't going to be the only way from there onwards, and hadn't been for that long - look at Liverpool's supremacy in the 80s

suggesting that Abramovich's ill gotten gains being splashed around to win everything, in the manner we're now seeing Man City and will soon see Newcastle as a positive for football is a ludicrous position

and suggesting that the Glazers or Fenways Sports Group are as evil as Putin's Russia or the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is also a ludicrous position
    Mate no one was catching up to United or Arsenal until we stepped in. No one! I'm also not suggesting any one is as evil as each other just saying Roman saved English football from becoming a boring two horse race year after year. He may have spent big but those two teams had made it that you had to spend big to overtake em. I don't recall Liverpool being anywhere near those two during the PL era. Roman forced teams to up their games and look for outside investment.

all you've just said is that you started watching English football in the late 90s, early 2000s and have no memory of other hegemonic periods

that or you're cherry picking a few years to suit your argument

Abramovich did not save the Premier League from becoming Scotland

all you've just said is that you started watching English football in the late 90s, early 2000s and have no memory of other hegemonic periods

that or you're cherry picking a few years to suit your argument

Abramovich did not save the Premier League from becoming Scotland
    In the time period he bought the club how was anyone catching up the Fergi and Wenger without huge investment?? Explain. Also look at all the winners of the prem from inception, Pretty much only two winners,.
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

If anything, he probably made English Football worse for splashing huge amounts of cash of players because it laid the blueprint for your City's et al to essentially buy the League
    Jaliens gives me the horn

The whole EPL concept stuffed things up with of course, money, and it was always going to happen.

But having lived it, the old First Division was so much more enjoyable when clubs like Villa, Derby and Forest could win the League (and the Champions League too!)

I used to love the old Chelsea teams who were built around great locals like Ray Wilkins. Same with Man U and Man City (both who were relegated - how could that happen now?).

Ipswich, QPR, Everton were big hitters and the FA Cup was often won by the underdog. And it was very popular.

Personally, I wish the Super League came off and left the rest of us alone. As far as the media is concerned our clubs outside the big 6 don't exist. If we happen to beat Chelski or Man Utd is is usually down to some inherent problem with them. Don't ever tell me they have done us a favour other than a bit more TV money that gets swallowed up by an inflated market anyway.

Back to my Big Match videos...
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 04-03-2022 at 08:33 AM.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    The whole EPL concept stuffed things up with of course, money, and it was always going to happen.

But having lived it, the old First Division was so much more enjoyable when clubs like Villa, Derby and Forest could win the League (and the Champions League too!)

I used to love the old Chelsea teams who were built around great locals like Ray Wilkins. Same with Man U and Man City (both who were relegated - how could that happen now?).

Ipswich, QPR, Everton were big hitters and the FA Cup was often won by the underdog. And it was very popular.

Personally, I wish the Super League came off and left the rest of us alone. As far as the media is concerned our clubs outside the big 6 don't exist. If we happen to beat Chelski or Man Utd is is usually down to some inherent problem with them. Don't ever tell me they have done us a favour other than a bit more TV money that gets swallowed up by an inflated market anyway.

Back to my Big Match videos...
    As I kept saying. United under Fergie then Arsenal under Wenger made the prem that way. Either spend big or be happy never winning stuff

I actually agree with your points but the game was set and we wanted to play as well. I actually loved the late 90s chelsea team the most. Zola Vialli etc

Roman saved English football is honestly the most deluded take I've ever witnessed on this forum. Not even the membah has said something so out of touch with reality as that. Thanks Stanny, I dead set near pissed my pants reading those posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Side note, how good is the fact that Roman has essentially held the club hostage now as well. He never actually invested any of his own money, he only loaned it through a shell company. So now that they want to take his assets away he's leaving a club with an insurmountable amount of debt (£1.5 billion), a stadium which is both falling apart and we'll below the standard of most other top half EPL sides and a legacy of completely ruining modern football by inflating transfer fees, agent fees and wages to a level that is unreachable/unsustainable for any clubs outside of the top tier. Chelsea created the Super league years ago when they came in and started buying titles before their club could actually afford them. City followed suit and the rest is history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Side note, how good is the fact that Roman has essentially held the club hostage now as well. He never actually invested any of his own money, he only loaned it through a shell company. So now that they want to take his assets away he's leaving a club with an insurmountable amount of debt (£1.5 billion), a stadium which is both falling apart and we'll below the standard of most other top half EPL sides and a legacy of completely ruining modern football by inflating transfer fees, agent fees and wages to a level that is unreachable/unsustainable for any clubs outside of the top tier. Chelsea created the Super league years ago when they came in and started buying titles before their club could actually afford them. City followed suit and the rest is history.
    Our stadium is fine. He has wiped the debt. Doesn't want it back as he actually cares about the club unlike other top 6 owners and only did what you had to do to topple arsenal and United. Arsenal and United fans just upset other people now win stuff