Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The EPL Thread aka Euro Snobs

Quote Originally Posted by De-Champ View Post
    I left out Platini.
    Sacrilege....
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

A lot of it is also dependent on how you watched your football when growing up. Most of us are EPL centric cause that's what we had.

I used to chase down anything I could see when Zidane and Fat Ronnie were playing.

I refuse to believe there has ever been a better pure striker than Fat Ronnie.

3 diff leagues, international level. Bloke dominated all of it.
    Just loved watching him play.

also an indicator of how difficult this is, Ronaldinho was pretty much untouchable as the biggest star in world football for a few years there and not many have him in their teams (he only made my 2nd XI and I'm a huge fanboy).

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Better hope no one posts their 'All Time Rainy Midweek Night at Stoke XI'

Doesn't need to be mid week

Ronaldinho is a genius. Would have to go close to one of the most talented players ever.

Banned
    also an indicator of how difficult this is, Ronaldinho was pretty much untouchable as the biggest star in world football for a few years there and not many have him in their teams (he only made my 2nd XI and I'm a huge fanboy).
    As with you I rated Fat Ronny no 1

When you look at a frontline with Griff Messi CR7 and Zidane there just ain't the room for Ronaldinho. Given time though I think Neymar Jr will actually surpass Ronaldinho by the time his career is done and dusted

I couldn't put Ibra in there despite having great love for the bloke such is the tightness for spots

Quote Originally Posted by Macca;189***
    Ronaldinho is a genius. Would have to go close to one of the most talented players ever.
    Think he changed the game with his tricks. Certainly brought that freestyle component to the game. He was a magician with some of the stuff he could do. His highlights reel is definitely good viewing.

Not sure he has the in game impact as some of the above though. Definitely revolutionised the game though in my opinion in terms of skill moves to beat players.

My father said the best player he ever played against was Stanley Matthews. He said there was absolutely no way to telegraph his movement. I've talked to a few blokes over the years that played alongside Matthews as well and most of them think he's the best that ever played the game.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 24-08-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    My father said the best player he ever played against was Stanley Matthews. He said there was absolutely no way to telegraph his movement. I've talked to a few blokes over the years than played alongside Matthews as well and most of them think he's the best that ever played the game.
    I always remember my Dad going on and on about how great Stanley Matthews was.. He's still a Stoke fan to this day because of him..
    Your Dad played against him??

As a kid, I remember watching a lot of Ajax, I was a huge fan of van Basten, Bergkamp and Litmanen..

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Think he changed the game with his tricks. Certainly brought that freestyle component to the game. He was a magician with some of the stuff he could do. His highlights reel is definitely good viewing.

Not sure he has the in game impact as some of the above though. Definitely revolutionised the game though in my opinion in terms of skill moves to beat players.
    For sure. That's why I chose "talented" instead of "best". But even without the tricks and showboating, his awareness and touch are just unbelievable.

A lot of it is also dependent on how you watched your football when growing up. Most of us are EPL centric cause that's what we had.

I used to chase down anything I could see when Zidane and Fat Ronnie were playing.

I refuse to believe there has ever been a better pure striker than Fat Ronnie.

3 diff leagues, international level. Bloke dominated all of it.
    Just loved watching him play.
    At his peak I'd say Fat Ronnie is the best striker that ever put a boot on. People don't realise just how fast the bloke was - easily a sub even time sprinter.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    For sure. That's why I chose "talented" instead of "best". But even without the tricks and showboating, his awareness and touch are just unbelievable.
    I think he was also the first player I ever saw who had a real 'joy' for the game.

Bloke was always smiling and laughing, even when things didn't go well.

It was impossible to not enjoy watching him.

Bernabeau gave him a standing O after he ripped them a new ass one time. I just remember seeing it going "holy **** football doesn't have to be all miserable and well 'ard".

(Again this was from watching too much EPL god damn it Roy Keane you miserable ****ing prick).

I swear to Griff seeing blokes like Ronnie embrace the amazing opportunities they had changed my perception on a lot of things in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I always remember my Dad going on and on about how great Stanley Matthews was.. He's still a Stoke fan to this day because of him..
    Your Dad played against him??

As a kid, I remember watching a lot of Ajax, I was a huge fan of van Basten, Bergkamp and Litmanen..
    Yes played against him in 1958 when Matthews was old and well past his best. I can't remember though if the old boy was playing for NSW or St George Budapest at the time. Tommy Garret was also playing at the time [ former Blackpool / England player] - oldman and Tommy played each other again many years later - only in Billiards not football. Tommy won both times.... easily.
    I'm guessing people here would know who Tommy Garret was ? He retired from professional football in the early 60's and played in Newcastle I think for Mayfield FC.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 24-08-2017 at 02:28 PM.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/f...-britos!639928

My goodness that is a terrible tackle.

Now this is interesting..

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41444085

Arsenal v Liverpool on Christmas Eve night - can't see Scousers travelling in numbers surely.

And what about us here? Sure it will be live at a good time Christmas morning but what chance have you got of watching it in peace with all the Chrissy morning hoohaa?

It's a ridiculous scheduling decision.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Now this is interesting..

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41444085

Arsenal v Liverpool on Christmas Eve night - can't see Scousers travelling in numbers surely.

And what about us here? Sure it will be live at a good time Christmas morning but what chance have you got of watching it in peace with all the Chrissy morning hoohaa?
    I just have to go put the bike together, see you in a couple

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    It's a ridiculous scheduling decision.
    NBA plays on Xmas Day

Why can't these overpaid primadonnas play on Xmas Eve??

TV is responsible for providing them their extensive wages so it only fair they perform when TV beckons

United’s grey kit make everyone look like they got fat little beer bellies.

Banned
    I don't know what the stupidest thing is I have seen the last week

The dumb **** at the Socceroos trying to start a Your Not Going to Russia Anymore chant in the 113th minute at 2-1 up

Or

Jets fans singing we are top of the league at 3-1 up on the Gypo Coast with ample time for us to **** it up

Or

That Klopp is absolutely perplexed and surprised that Mourinhio can park the bus

I think Klopp really is the dumbest