Page 57 of 106 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 2101

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Carlos Hernandez was definitely Brazilian.........
    Ha I didn't realise you knew him in that way

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    On completely different news, Mariners are signing Daniel De Silva. No big surprise as its been mooted for sometime. What is a surprise is that Dom Bossi is saying its a marquee signing. Some very murky business going on there
    Marquee means nada but "not spending inside the cap" these days though, right? We could move Boogaard to marquee if we wanted to save $8.2m in the cap or whatever everyone claims he is earning.

I don't think I mentioned Brazil, but that is where the agents that Ernie has contacts with previously and Ernie has said he is using his contacts. Most of his Visa signings at Victory were Brazilian. Anyway, hopefully we use a little more than just agent recommendations because we can't afford to screw up a marquee signing.
    I know not you in particular, but throughout the argument I've seen a lot of mention of Brazil. Yeah I know generally speaking Bernie brings in Brazilians but there is also a chance we get someone else

Marquee means nada but "not spending inside the cap" these days though, right? We could move Boogaard to marquee if we wanted to save $8.2m in the cap or whatever everyone claims he is earning.
    It means he is the highest paid player in their team. For a kid who has played very few first team games thats a big leap of faith from Okon. What makes it interesting was the deal with Roma that reportedly fell through allowing Perth Glory to loan him to Roda. Mariners are negotiating with Roma according to Bossi.

Who gives a **** where the players are from? It's irrelevant.
    Soooo this. If we pluck someone from Auckland City who comes here and scores 20 goals from nowhere who cares? It is a case of identifying players who can play in this league.

Guys like Berisha, Bruno, Dutch Gypo, Milton et al came from nowhere and bossed this league. Others with cred failed.

There's a thought - any other Milton types in South America?

You are all making the same point in different ways. It's a circular argument with exceptions.

Membah is partially right, Brazil have fantastic players but we recruit the poor ones due to their demand worldwide. There used to be a trend in the HAL to just recruit South American without a process and regardless of the players quality. And that brought far more duds than successes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Soooo this. If we pluck someone from Auckland City who comes here and scores 20 goals from nowhere who cares?
    See this is where your argument breaks down. No one has been signed, only the club has stated where we are looking to sign a player, in this case Sth America. Why do you think they felt it necessary to release this? I expect it's because they expect the average punter to fap all over that it's a Sth American without knowing anything else.

If the club came out and said it was looking at marquee players from NZ it would be rightfully slammed.

It's the club that is limiting the search and fans have every right to point at the track record of recruitment in their part of the world without any other detail to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Soooo this. If we pluck someone from Auckland City who comes here and scores 20 goals from nowhere who cares? It is a case of identifying players who can play in this league.

Guys like Berisha, Bruno, Dutch Gypo, Milton et al came from nowhere and bossed this league. Others with cred failed.

There's a thought - any other Milton types in South America?
    We didn't find Milton he found us - and his most recent form was 9 goals in 22 appearances in the K-League before he paid his own way to join up with the Jets. 18 months prior to that he scored 27 times in 42 appearances in the top tier of Columbian football.
    He was always going to do a good job.
    Kokko had good form as well with 56 goals from 97 appearances in the top tier of Finnish football.

We knew how strong the K-League was but unfortunately we may have over estimated the level in Finland.

I am not siding with either of you, you are both as bad as each other at opposite ends of the scale. You both have credible arguments, to some extent, but instead of explaining your point you go straight for the jugular. Maybe the Membah has worn you down to this point but you come across as an apologist now whereas you used to have a reasonable sound arguments that was worth listening to.

Although MFKS opinion was delivered with the usual sledgehammer, behind that there is some proven fact to it. That in the history of the HAL that players recruited from Spanish teams or with a Spanish background have performed better than the recruits from South America. Go back and look at the press from 2007 where the league went crazy for South American players. Every team wanted them regardless of their background or resume.

Please point out where I am "splitting my wrists" on O'riel. You seem to be the one talking him down for some reason. Oriel has a good resume and has scored goals in top leagues. Hopefully for WSW they looked past this, maybe talked his past clubs or contacts and more importantly that he has a lot more fitness and press than Piovicari did.

Take 10 seconds and look at the scoring records of pretty much every visa striker that comes to the HAL. The only striker can think of that came here with a good record is Kokko and look how that turned out. O'Donnovan spent the majority of his career not scoring goals until he took the step down to Brunei. The A-League is and always will be a step down. My point being that goal scoring record is a marker, but not an overly good one for recruiting strikers to this league.
    You're probably right. After the persistent bullshit defence of Jones last year, he single-handedly turned this forum into a farce yet seems to keep taking centre-stage. I'm not far off quitting this place - I'm quickly realising it's not worth the time and effort.

I'm going to say this for that last time because I'm getting tired and bored with this argument but the main point seems to have been missed the last dozen times.

My issue isn't where the players are from. I don't care what nationality they are, or where they're playing.

My issue is with forumites who instantly assume WSW have signed some superstar, and at the same time rubbish our club because we're looking elsewhere for a player, despite not having a clue who we're going to sign. As I said, it's that grass is always greener outlook.

I said Riera's record was average. I also said he could still do well here. No-one knows. But MFKS basically claimed he was going to tear up the league while we resorted to some 4th rate Brazilian, based on nothing more than his incessant need to whinge and moan at every ****ing thing that happens.

Regardless of where they are from, the most influential imports have been in the #6 or #8 positions. The recent crop of good Spaniards are fresh in everyone's memory.

Most remember the dud Brazillions as #9 or #10's who had no hope because of the trash and garbage around them. They were never 'lazy' there were just no white guys good enough to get them the ball.

Milton and Denni played with Griff FFS of course they were going to look good.

correction: Griff AND Stu.

It means he is the highest paid player in their team. For a kid who has played very few first team games thats a big leap of faith from Okon. What makes it interesting was the deal with Roma that reportedly fell through allowing Perth Glory to loan him to Roda. Mariners are negotiating with Roma according to Bossi.
    Roma own him, they could not use him as their visa spots were full, so loaned him to Roda.

Quote Originally Posted by De-Champ View Post
    Roma own him, they could not use him as their visa spots were full, so loaned him to Roda.
    Not according to Perth Glory apparently who organised the loan deal

See this is where your argument breaks down. No one has been signed, only the club has stated where we are looking to sign a player, in this case Sth America. Why do you think they felt it necessary to release this? I expect it's because they expect the average punter to fap all over that it's a Sth American without knowing anything else.

If the club came out and said it was looking at marquee players from NZ it would be rightfully slammed.

It's the club that is limiting the search and fans have every right to point at the track record of recruitment in their part of the world without any other detail to go by.
    Where is the argument ffs? I was just agreeing with Grim's comment. Some players without form perform here and some with reputations don't. Doesn't matter where they come from.

But the footballing cognescenti on here need to analyse and correct every utterance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    You're probably right. After the persistent bullshit defence of Jones last year, he single-handedly turned this forum into a farce yet seems to keep taking centre-stage. I'm not far off quitting this place - I'm quickly realising it's not worth the time and effort.

I'm going to say this for that last time because I'm getting tired and bored with this argument but the main point seems to have been missed the last dozen times.

My issue isn't where the players are from. I don't care what nationality they are, or where they're playing.

My issue is with forumites who instantly assume WSW have signed some superstar, and at the same time rubbish our club because we're looking elsewhere for a player, despite not having a clue who we're going to sign. As I said, it's that grass is always greener outlook.

I said Riera's record was average. I also said he could still do well here. No-one knows. But MFKS basically claimed he was going to tear up the league while we resorted to some 4th rate Brazilian, based on nothing more than his incessant need to whinge and moan at every ****ing thing that happens.
    Considering I am not even arguing with you are you aware of how many times your mentioning me in this post and how many embellishments you have thrown in there you obviously have me on the brain

Take some Kool aid and relax

Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Any massive news? not including arguing about where are our shittest imports are from.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    Serious, this club doesn't deserve Labi.

Arnie wants Birraz....anyone phased
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Not according to Perth Glory apparently who organised the loan deal
    He is owned by Roma.....Don't know who organised loan deal.