Page 59 of 88 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1745

Thread: 2017 National Premier League thread

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    I don't think it's people hating on clubs but more a matter of clubs getting a cash injection and splashing it on buying in a mass of players. Whilst I understand coaches can have some pulling power I think most regular first players are chasing the $. Doesn't really show much of a,pathway for their U20, 18's. I would prefer to see some incentive from NNSW to have clubs develo their players, obviously the PPS doesn't work. What about if a club fields junior players they get $ towards ground costs. Maybe having to feild x amount of U20/18's in the first team who have played 2 or 3 seasons with the club. I don't know just a though current system is a fail.
    Beast - one of the best ideas I have heard for a while.
    The PPS doesn't work as designed and the drop back to under 20s has actually backfired and made it harder to get younger guys ready for first grade

Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    Beast - one of the best ideas I have heard for a while.
    The PPS doesn't work as designed and the drop back to under 20s has actually backfired and made it harder to get younger guys ready for first grade
    I don't mind some older players being allowed to play in 20s. Training and playing with more experienced players is a great way to learn. Rather than shove the over 30+ year olds out, let them mentor young players while enjoying their last few seasons. They can still cover for 1st grade if needed and good club men willing to fill these rolls are worth their weight in gold.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ranger View Post
    I don't mind some older players being allowed to play in 20s. Training and playing with more experienced players is a great way to learn. Rather than shove the over 30+ year olds out, let them mentor young players while enjoying their last few seasons. They can still cover for 1st grade if needed and good club men willing to fill these rolls are worth their weight in gold.
    The over 30+ brigade have no god given right to be playing in the NPL system

If they are good enough at that age they are playing first grade

If they ain't then it high time they found their level whether that be New FM or one of the Zone Leagues

This line of thinking that these plodders get driven out of the club is complete horseshit

Start up an open grade side like Olympic and Magic have so all the club mencan still keep playing at their appropriate level when they ain't good enough for NPL level any more

Well the answer to the argument of whether or not to keep older players, target youth development etc is what you see the competition as. What is the aim of the competition.
    Is it to produce the next Socceroo? Is it to produce players for the Jets, is it to make the NPL a good competition and rightful quality to that expected of a second tier national competition.
    Each of these options requires a different methodology to get there.

If the aim is produce talent - put age restrictions. If they ain't good enough for first grade at 20 they ain't making the Socceroos.
    If aim is a league, age restrictions could work but most players are picked up by a league are in the junior setups. But again, if you ain't playing a league at 20 there's not too much hope. But currently there's opportunity for players to play for jets NPL.
    If aim is having a strong competition, piss off age restrictions, bring in a salary cap if concern is there and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Well the answer to the argument of whether or not to keep older players, target youth development etc is what you see the competition as. What is the aim of the competition.
    Is it to produce the next Socceroo? Is it to produce players for the Jets, is it to make the NPL a good competition and rightful quality to that expected of a second tier national competition.
    Each of these options requires a different methodology to get there.

If the aim is produce talent - put age restrictions. If they ain't good enough for first grade at 20 they ain't making the Socceroos.
    If aim is a league, age restrictions could work but most players are picked up by a league are in the junior setups. But again, if you ain't playing a league at 20 there's not too much hope. But currently there's opportunity for players to play for jets NPL.
    If aim is having a strong competition, piss off age restrictions, bring in a salary cap if concern is there and go from there.
    Salary cap has really worked hasn't it??? And what is the difference between salary cap and points cap???
    What the member said is 100% correct.
    The fact is there are 100 different views on this forum, none of which suit everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    The over 30+ brigade have no god given right to be playing in the NPL system

If they are good enough at that age they are playing first grade

If they ain't then it high time they found their level whether that be New FM or one of the Zone Leagues

This line of thinking that these plodders get driven out of the club is complete horseshit

Start up an open grade side like Olympic and Magic have so all the club mencan still keep playing at their appropriate level when they ain't good enough for NPL level any more
    2 sides to the argument re older players. I still believe they have a value to the club (if good enough) as a player and mentor to juniors. If good enough to be in squad there shouldn't be an argument. However, by never being allowed to play down they deny younger players the chance to play up, be it from the bench or starting. Sometimes players need game time if they are coming back from injury or needing to regain confidence. Not every player is a walk-up start for first grade every match. So does a coach carry every over 20 player, regardless of week to week form and deny the youngsters a chance, or do we allow the current arrangement giving flexibility and opportunity to those deserving of such.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ranger View Post
    2 sides to the argument re older players. I still believe they have a value to the club (if good enough) as a player and mentor to juniors. If good enough to be in squad there shouldn't be an argument. However, by never being allowed to play down they deny younger players the chance to play up, be it from the bench or starting. Sometimes players need game time if they are coming back from injury or needing to regain confidence. Not every player is a walk-up start for first grade every match. So does a coach carry every over 20 player, regardless of week to week form and deny the youngsters a chance, or do we allow the current arrangement giving flexibility and opportunity to those deserving of such.
    That still false info

A club can currently play First Grade standard players in the 20s if they so desire

Early this year I watched Magic flog someone in the 20s and they had Dino Faj and Matt Hoole who would get a start at all clubs in the NPL running around in the 20s as they had not got a spot in first grade for them

I even commented on it in this thread

I watched Magic the other month playing someone in the 20s I thinking Azzurri and they had 3-4 first graders on the park

So clubs can play blokes down to bring them back from injury, find form ,drop for discipline etc

What you though are advocating is clogging the system up with over age players on the downhill of their career coming out the arse end of first grade and just sitting in the 20s preventing opportunity to the 18s coming through

If the player isn't good enough for first grade any more the club has to be brutal and say so

It is after all a competition where selection is based on ability and merit. It not everyone wins a prize any more

There always a day you are not good enough for the level you once we're at. It happens to EPL players it happens to Socceroos it happens to HAL players

The coaches make a decision and everyone moves on

Why is an NPL player entitled to keep living the dream when time has passed him by??

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    That still false info

A club can currently play First Grade standard players in the 20s if they so desire

Early this year I watched Magic flog someone in the 20s and they had Dino Faj and Matt Hoole who would get a start at all clubs in the NPL running around in the 20s as they had not got a spot in first grade for them

I even commented on it in this thread

I watched Magic the other month playing someone in the 20s I thinking Azzurri and they had 3-4 first graders on the park

So clubs can play blokes down to bring them back from injury, find form ,drop for discipline etc

What you though are advocating is clogging the system up with over age players on the downhill of their career coming out the arse end of first grade and just sitting in the 20s preventing opportunity to the 18s coming through

If the player isn't good enough for first grade any more the club has to be brutal and say so

It is after all a competition where selection is based on ability and merit. It not everyone wins a prize any more

There always a day you are not good enough for the level you once we're at. It happens to EPL players it happens to Socceroos it happens to HAL players

The coaches make a decision and everyone moves on

Why is an NPL player entitled to keep living the dream when time has passed him by??
    I do feel you have lost touch with the local game and your delusional thoughts on age groups are way off the mark. U/20's do not work, never was it going to work and never will it work. Players are developing older and in my opinion we need to go back to 22's or 23's. This has been proven in other countries that experimented with this ridiculous age restriction.

I also feel the cap is not working, scrap it and have free for all. The clubs with forward thinking committees will survive and the clubs with poor committees will drop off.

Newcastle produced more NSL and Internation players under the old system of First Grade, Reserve Grade and U21's, that in it's self is reason enough to prove that young players in reserve grade benefit from having quality older heads mentor/coach them on the field in real time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    I do feel you have lost touch with the local game and your delusional thoughts on age groups are way off the mark. U/20's do not work, never was it going to work and never will it work. Players are developing older and in my opinion we need to go back to 22's or 23's. This has been proven in other countries that experimented with this ridiculous age restriction.

I also feel the cap is not working, scrap it and have free for all. The clubs with forward thinking committees will survive and the clubs with poor committees will drop off.

Newcastle produced more NSL and Internation players under the old system of First Grade, Reserve Grade and U21's, that in it's self is reason enough to prove that young players in reserve grade benefit from having quality older heads mentor/coach them on the field in real time.
    Players are only being developed at older ages because of the current failings of the club's.

Really which of the club's out there are seriously looking at developing Yoof right through to first grade ??
    Magic and Olympic have had successful lower grade sides in recent years but **** all making it into the first team. Jaffas well have they any juniors in their side??
    Azzurri are obviously off on a buying frenzy

Edgy are probably the best example of promoting Yoof coupled with good sensible recruitment. How they been doing recent seasons??
    Ohh they won the league didn't they ??
    Twice

I will agree the PPS in its current format is failing. Reason why is the thing was watered down to cease the bitching of the club's

As for your thoughts on the production line in Newy
    Well no great surprise but NNSW has been ****ing hopeless for years and years and I think we both agree on that

MFKS, maybe they are hopeless because too many with outdated views such as you have expressed. Do you have a young'n missing out on a spot because of an older and better player?

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS;187***
    Players are only being developed at older ages because of the current failings of the club's.

Really which of the club's out there are seriously looking at developing Yoof right through to first grade ??
    Magic and Olympic have had successful lower grade sides in recent years but **** all making it into the first team. Jaffas well have they any juniors in their side??
    Azzurri are obviously off on a buying frenzy

Edgy are probably the best example of promoting Yoof coupled with good sensible recruitment. How they been doing recent seasons??
    Ohh they won the league didn't they ??
    Twice

I will agree the PPS in its current format is failing. Reason why is the thing was watered down to cease the bitching of the club's

As for your thoughts on the production line in Newy
    Well no great surprise but NNSW has been ****ing hopeless for years and years and I think we both agree on that
    Youth development at Edgy? You serious? Edgy do well what all clubs who are proactive do and scout the best young players who have first grade potential but they certainly don't develop their own from the youth grades. I'm not having a dig at Edgy here as I think they are fantastic and do what all clubs should but you are havn a laugh if you think they develop from youth grades up.

Strong clubs will survive while the weak will be replaced by the strong if we get rid of the PPS, the current political correct bullshit that is "give everybody a chance" rubbish is holding the game back.
    Back to the future for a successful comp and nursery for local football.

Promoted youth after they were developed at another club

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    Promoted youth after they were developed at another club
    Only four or five of them come from another club ?

Sorry to change the subject lads but just wondering if the names, George, Greg and Russell Schott ring any bells for anyone? Cheers fellas

New Lambton legends

Banned
    HT

Olympic 2-0 over Kurri Flogs

Olympic won both the lower grades

Banned
    FT

Olympic 3-0

Top 4 could be decided next weekend with some big matches taking place.
    Maitland hosting Magic and
    Olympic hosting Valo

Just wondering about how the coaching fiasco at rosebuds is going, have they got a new coach for next year locked in yet? If not, are they leaving it a bit late?

Quote Originally Posted by early_to_the_match View Post
    Just wondering about how the coaching fiasco at rosebuds is going, have they got a new coach for next year locked in yet? If not, are they leaving it a bit late?
    Gary Wilson and the kid from Maitland will fight it out to the death at Rosebud's next home game during the half time break.