Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Zone League 1 thread

[QUOTE=Wilso8948;187606]Just be nice rather than rave on about how poor you were with not finishing the "10-15 chances" to accept that for 80% of the game you were down 3-0 and two late goals flattered the scoreline.[/QUOTE
    You're right Wilso everyone is keen to bang on about chances missed and crazy good keeping when in the end the only stat that matters is who scores the most goals. A 3-2 win is a 3-2 win. The team that scores the most goals is the better team it really doesn't matter how they went about it. If your team doesn't score enough goals you need to adapt to change that or end up at the bottom end of the table...

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Just be nice rather than rave on about how poor you were with not finishing the "10-15 chances" to accept that for 80% of the game you were down 3-0 and two late goals flattered the scoreline.
    Like all clubs you can only put out the best team you have on the day, we also had players out and late changes to the squad on game day. It happens every week so that is null and void.
    Ok so lets put bias aside.
    You guys controlled the best part of the first half, you pressed us high up the park and put us of our game. First goal came from this pressures after winning the ball in a dangerous area with a nice calm finish to take a deserved lead. Second goal I would hardly say was "well taken". A corner that wasn't cleared, it came from a miss hit shot that squeezed through a packed six yard with the keeper seeing late and the shot going threw his legs.
    After the second goal we then started to get back into the game, 3 great chances which were denied by the goal keeper could have seen us level or in front at half time. That said you guys also had a strong chance from a free header that could have put you up by 3 before half time.

Second half.
    We came out a lot better a started to control the game a got back to playing the way we should have in the first half. We controlled the possession without really creating many chances. Your third goal then came from a breakdown and counter attack which I must say was finished brilliantly.
    We then made a few changes and it was one way traffic, we then squandered at least 4 more great chances a finally got the 2 late goals.

Now lets get to "being humble"?
    Were you being humble when you cleared a ball into the bush with 5 to go when you could have just knocked it out? Then proceed to have a shot at the person who fetched the ball and questioned you about having to kick it as far as you did?
    Was Rolo "being humblel" when he took 5 minutes to leave the park when being substituted and proceeded to laugh at wasting time when he was walking back onto the park whilst being substituted?
    Or the bloke who went down injured asking us to kick the ball out but had a miracles recovery less than 5 seconds later once you guys retained possession, was he "being humble"?
    The bloke who I can only believe was on some great acid or is vision impaired as all he saw all day was Pelicans. Was he "being humble" with his ironic yet casual racism?

Yes we left the park thinking it was a day that could have gone very different but I take nothing away from you guys, you played hard a fair and were clinical with your chances.
    All in all thanks for a great day.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Mate I was knackered from running big Bon ragged all game 😉! Haha plus I come from the far wing. I'm not exactly going to sprint off am I? Only reason I stopped was because Bon yelled something out to me which I didn't quite hear. I was just being polite. So shoot me.
    And I do remember Bon actually laughing and nodding his head at the ball clearing as he would do exactly the same thing as I'm sure most of you guys would in the same position after a year like ours in reserves. (Pretty sure the same thing happened in firsts anyway with a few balls landing on the top field with 5 mins to go) it's a part of the game. Get over it. Every team does it.
    I do feel for the bloke in reggies who did his ankle with ten to go. Hope he's alright and he's back on the park soon. Would suck for him to miss finals football after the good season your ressies have had. Best wishes.

And I think you're selling my goal short! Wasn't a corner was a throw in which was flicked on. Wasn't a miss hit shot that fell to me. It was a well controlled pull down which I called for our bloke to do. The worst part of the goal was the deflection that my shot which I struck well took off the poor pitch and left the poor keeper with not much he could do (except maybe close his legs) as it turned square off a dry dustbowl subcontinent like pitch that the Indian cricket team would have been licking their lips at!

Overall I think we deserved the win in reserves and all results probably were deserved across the day. Except maybe firsts where we could have jagged a draw if it wasn't for the denying of one of the most blatant handballs in the box I've ever seen. The only 2 people in the whole ground who didn't think it was a pen was the large moustached man with the whistle and his chimney like mate on the sideline. No denying we were crap in firsts. Definitely didn't deserve a win but a draw maybe. Could go on about all the blokes we had out as well but end of the day we were crap and suburbs were clinical in front of goal. No sour grapes.

As for the heckling and name calling. It goes on every weekend. Grow a pair and get over it. It was men to men. Who cares. It's called banter. No lines were crossed. If you can't cop being called a pelican you probably are playing the wrong sport. Is being called a pelican cutting you that deep? Surely not. Close relative of a kingfisher anyway. No slight nor casual racism took place.
    I just wish I could understand that burley English men on the hill who was relentless all day. I'm sure he had some great banter but was just difficult to interpret most with his thick accent. Does a great impersonation of a fog horn tho!

Thanks suburbs for the good day. I do feel for yas with that pitch. Can see the effort you guys are putting in. But it's a rough patch. Do yous get much help from the council out there?
    Last edited by rolo; 24-07-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolo View Post
    Thanks suburbs for the good day. I do feel for yas with that pitch. Can see the effort you guys are putting in. But it's a rough patch. Do yous get much help from the council out there?
    It's a work in progress, would've been a lot nicer if we had a chance to get some water on it before hand, games Friday night & Saturday stopped that..

The pitch is the best its been at this time of the year, in a long time. Not great, but still has grass is most places.

We have been getting a lot more support recently, with the work the committee has been putting in.

Hopefully it can get a good top soil and water in the off season to get it really nice for the start of next season.

Mate I was knackered from running big Bon ragged all game ��!
    This statement is the only thing in this debate, thread, entire forum that I can 100% believe is true and unbiased tbh.
    OK

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    It's a work in progress, would've been a lot nicer if we had a chance to get some water on it before hand, games Friday night & Saturday stopped that..

The pitch is the best its been at this time of the year, in a long time. Not great, but still has grass is most places.

We have been getting a lot more support recently, with the work the committee has been putting in.

Hopefully it can get a good top soil and water in the off season to get it really nice for the start of next season.
    Yeah the traffic thing is tough. Do I remember reading that you guys are thinking of moving to the top field? The surface is nice up there but jeez it would be a shame to lose the hill to watch games! What a view!
    Last edited by rolo; 24-07-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    This statement is the only thing in this debate, thread, entire forum that I can 100% believe is true and unbiased tbh.
    Did I mention I didn't lose a header all day to him? Needless to say I didn't contest any with him as that would have been pointless. But I still didn't lose any!

Mate I was knackered from running big Bon ragged all game ��! Haha plus I come from the far wing. I'm not exactly going to sprint off am I? Only reason I stopped was because Bon yelled something out to me which I didn't quite hear. I was just being polite. So shoot me.
    And I do remember Bon actually laughing and nodding his head at the ball clearing as he would do exactly the same thing as I'm sure most of you guys would in the same position after a year like ours in reserves. (Pretty sure the same thing happened in firsts anyway with a few balls landing on the top field with 5 mins to go) it's a part of the game. Get over it. Every team does it.
    I do feel for the bloke in reggies who did his ankle with ten to go. Hope he's alright and he's back on the park soon. Would suck for him to miss finals football after the good season your ressies have had. Best wishes.

And I think you're selling my goal short! Wasn't a corner was a throw in which was flicked on. Wasn't a miss hit shot that fell to me. It was a well controlled pull down which I called for our bloke to do. The worst part of the goal was the deflection that my shot which I struck well took off the poor pitch and left the poor keeper with not much he could do (except maybe close his legs) as it turned square off a dry dustbowl subcontinent like pitch that the Indian cricket team would have been licking their lips at!

Overall I think we deserved the win in reserves and all results probably were deserved across the day. Except maybe firsts where we could have jagged a draw if it wasn't for the denying of one of the most blatant handballs in the box I've ever seen. The only 2 people in the whole ground who didn't think it was a pen was the large moustached man with the whistle and his chimney like mate on the sideline. No denying we were crap in firsts. Definitely didn't deserve a win but a draw maybe. Could go on about all the blokes we had out as well but end of the day we were crap and suburbs were clinical in front of goal. No sour grapes.

As for the heckling and name calling. It goes on every weekend. Grow a pair and get over it. It was men to men. Who cares. It's called banter. No lines were crossed. If you can't cop being called a pelican you probably are playing the wrong sport. Is being called a pelican cutting you that deep? Surely not. Close relative of a kingfisher anyway. No slight nor casual racism took place.
    I just wish I could understand that burley English men on the hill who was relentless all day. I'm sure he had some great banter but was just difficult to interpret most with his thick accent. Does a great impersonation of a fog horn tho!

Don't bring me in to this, Rolo..
    You won, we lost.. Simple as that.
    Our side need to have a quick look at what we could/should have done better, what we did poorly, etc. Move on from it and to get prepared for next weekends game at home against Bero. Importantly, it's also a pink fundraiser day for breast cancer - something that has touched my family and many others around the club/league.

As for all of the banter about time-wasting, when you are the losing side trying to fight back, of course you get dirty/frustrated/annoyed about it. However, if that was us in the lead, I can guarantee you that we would have done the same. Premy is well known for his love of a mad dash to the corner flag with the ball, hahaha..
    (Oh, and for the record, when you were being subbed I yelled out to you that you can sprint quicker than that.. You proved me wrong.. )

Banter is fine. No problem with the Pelican call either, it was rather funny the first time I heard it, it lost its wit after the 20th time hearing it.

However racism is crossing the line casual or not.
    Prime example of it in your comment just hear, making fun of someone's accent and derogatory comments about were someone was born is racist. Oh but that's ok you can be racist to a white Anglo can't you, this statement and the few made yesterday warrant an apology. I won't hold my breath waiting for one but we'll just "cop it" shall we.
    Last edited by Premy; 24-07-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    However racism is crossing the line casual or not.
    Prime example of it in your comment just hear, making fun of someone's accent and derogatory comments about were someone was born is racist. Oh but that's ok you can be racist to a white Anglo can't you, this statement and the few made yesterday warrant an apology. I won't hold my breath waiting for one but we'll just "cop it" shall we.
    I will apologise, for the fact you took that as racism. I am in no way a racist. Please tell me how I am making fun and being derogatory of someone's accent and where they were born. I stated he was English, burley and had a Thick accent and that I couldn't understand him. Mere facts. Which your third grade coach also agreed with me that he was tough to understand. Is he also a racist now? How is that being derogatory. You need a little google search of what constitutes racism mate. I am the school ARCO at my school and take exception to you calling me a racist.

And the burley comment is accurate as is the 20 times I was called the same thing yesterday. But that's ok. Prejudices are fine aren't they?

I will be a tad derogatory and stating that you are acting like a bit of a peanut premy in souring my vision of what was a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Don't bring me in to this, Rolo..
    You won, we lost.. Simple as that.
    Our side need to have a quick look at what we could/should have done better, what we did poorly, etc. Move on from it and to get prepared for next weekends game at home against Bero. Importantly, it's also a pink fundraiser day for breast cancer - something that has touched my family and many others around the club/league.

As for all of the banter about time-wasting, when you are the losing side trying to fight back, of course you get dirty/frustrated/annoyed about it. However, if that was us in the lead, I can guarantee you that we would have done the same. Premy is well known for his love of a mad dash to the corner flag with the ball, hahaha..
    (Oh, and for the record, when you were being subbed I yelled out to you that you can sprint quicker than that.. You proved me wrong.. )
    Shame on you for thinking I've got a higher gear than that! The revs were maxed out indeed!
    Enjoyed the battle though Bon! Was one of the more enjoyable games I've had even without the result.

I will apologise, for the fact you took that as racism. I am in no way a racist. Please tell me how I am making fun and being derogatory of someone's accent and where they were born. I stated he was English, burley and had a Thick accent and that I couldn't understand him. Mere facts. Which your third grade coach also agreed with me that he was tough to understand. Is he also a racist now? How is that being derogatory. You need a little google search of what constitutes racism mate. I am the school ARCO at my school and take exception to you calling me a racist.

And the burley comment is accurate as is the 20 times I was called the same thing yesterday. But that's ok. Prejudices are fine aren't they?

I will be a tad derogatory and stating that you are acting like a bit of a peanut premy in souring my vision of what was a great day.
    Comments like "mate speak English, I can't understand a word your saying" is in my opinion racist. Weather that comment is directed at an Asian, African or Ango Englishmen is besides the point, there were racial connotations behind the statements and in my opinion it is crossing the line.

I also thought it was a great day across the 3 games unfortunately for me it was soured by the news I received about some comments made by people in your Club and further reinforced by comments made by you today in trying to somehow justify them. If that makes me a peanut then by all means refer to me from now on as peanut premy and I'll refer to you from now on as racist rolo.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Comments like "mate speak English, I can't understand a word your saying" is in my opinion racist. Weather that comment is directed at an Asian, African or Ango Englishmen is besides the point, there were racial connotations behind the statements and in my opinion it is crossing the line.
    Respectfully, I think you're wrong. Not denying there's racism in our society and in football, or that the phrase mentioned could be used racially but I don't think its inherent. I think you're drawing a long bow there. Some people are hard to understand. Some people have excellent English. I don't see anything wrong with that comment personally, nor do I think it has any racial undertones.

Sounds like a good game and if Suburb deserved more out of it, it wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last time for them, or for any other club.

We felt very hard done by on the weekend having a pretty controversial penalty given after a couple of fouls on us were turned down in the 15 seconds leading up to it which gave Terrace their 1-0 victory, and felt we were good for a point or more out of the game. Seems the kinds of things that happen week in week out when you are struggling to post wins. But we can at least be happy with the performance, and it was an enjoyable game. We hope to make an impact on the finals race with games against Stockton and Suburb coming up in the final rounds.

Hopefully you will see big changes in our pitch next season.

Late in the off season (late march) after realising big patches of the pitch weren't recovering, we started both grounds on a program of soil testing and adding amendments/fertilisers as required. Its not cheap, but I think we all would agree its needed. There has been a definite improvement this year despite the late start.

The lack of a sandpit around the penalty spot has been great.

The ground at the moment can only be described as sh!t (not embarrassing like it was last year), but it is the best most people can remember it being at this time of the season (same with the top pitch). If you look, you can actually see new grass shooting already, so its looking good for the future.

The annoying thing was, last weekend there were some very wet patches when my O35's played on it. By Monday it was still quiet damp in areas, come Friday it was like concrete. With mid week games getting water on was difficult, and early in the week it wasn't needed.

Plenty of water this week, so the games on Sunday should be fine.

The plan is to top dress both pitches in December and keep up the process of improving the soils/fertilising own a monthly basis. It all comes down to $$$$, but we are also hopeful that the top pitch is finally of a standard that we can spread the load by moving games up there. The new spectator hill on the top ground gets cleared in the first week of August so hopefully all good fro the preseason.

But to answer your question on Council. They mow the pitch and spread our lime/dolomite/gypsum/fertiliser along with weed spraying and aeration, but otherwise its all paid for by the club. The cost is pretty big, but I'm sure everyone is sick of playing on our dirt pitch. People have asked why we don't go on the Rye Grass program, the answer to that is, we can until we get automated irrigation. Thats not coming until 2020, until then we drag sprinklers around.

In respect Macca I think the reason why people don't find the comments racist is because they were made to a White Anglo. In your opinion Macca had the comments been made to a Asian would you still not find the comments racist?

FYI rolo, the comments that I'm referring to weren't made to the burly English man on the hill, they were made to our First grade Coach and Assistant Coach.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I also thought it was a great day across the 3 games unfortunately for me it was soured by the news I received about some comments made by people in your Club and further reinforced by comments made by you today in trying to somehow justify them. If that makes me a peanut then by all means refer to me from now on as peanut premy and I'll refer to you from now on as racist rolo.
    Your reasoning is laughable and obviously beyond argument. I'm not going to get involved in a public slanging match as that is not the purpose of the forum. If someone did say something of a racist nature yesterday then someone from the club should have approached myself. I am a very approachable person as most people on here know. Rather than publicly slamming a club on here hiding behind a screen. I'm still unsure who you are. If you are the one that was threatening a 16 year old with physical violence at the end of the reserve grade games then this makes all the more sense that your common sense is lacking. BuT that's ok because he wasn't someone from a different country?

I am in no way justifying a racial comment but merely telling you that I could not understand the bloke. Far out. Relax mate. No racial connotations in that at all. As I'm sure everyone else can see from what I have said. And if you're going to quote someone at least get the quote right. "Is he speaking English? I can't understand a word he's saying."

I will reinforce it to my boys regardless of whether it happened or not as we as a club are a highly multicultural club with many Asian and boys of other descent who have at times been subject to racism which we will feel strongly about. If it was that bad put it in a letter an send it to our club and will be taken further I can assure you. We have suspended people in the past who have been involved with racial slurs.
    Last edited by rolo; 24-07-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Respectfully, I think you're wrong. Not denying there's racism in our society and in football, or that the phrase mentioned could be used racially but I don't think its inherent. I think you're drawing a long bow there. Some people are hard to understand. Some people have excellent English. I don't see anything wrong with that comment personally, nor do I think it has any racial undertones.

Sounds like a good game and if Suburb deserved more out of it, it wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last time for them, or for any other club.

We felt very hard done by on the weekend having a pretty controversial penalty given after a couple of fouls on us were turned down in the 15 seconds leading up to it which gave Terrace their 1-0 victory, and felt we were good for a point or more out of the game. Seems the kinds of things that happen week in week out when you are struggling to post wins. But we can at least be happy with the performance, and it was an enjoyable game. We hope to make an impact on the finals race with games against Stockton and Suburb coming up in the final rounds.
    Thanks mate. Thought I was going crazy trying to understand how I was being a racist?

For something completely different, my g/f wanted to thank your parents for being so sweet and chatting to her during the game, Wilso..
    Even though we were on opposing sides, apparently they both came to the conclusion that we were all losers for continually supporting the Jets..

Your reasoning is laughable and obviously beyond argument. I'm not going to get involved in a public slanging match as that is not the purpose of the forum. If someone did say something of a racist nature yesterday then someone from the club should have approached myself. I am a very approachable person as most people on here know. Rather than publicly slamming a club on here hiding behind a screen. I'm still unsure who you are. If you are the one that was threatening a 16 year old with physical violence at the end of the reserve grade games then this makes all the more sense that your common sense is lacking. BuT that's ok because he wasn't someone from a different country?

I am in no way justifying a racial comment but merely telling you that I could not understand the bloke. Far out. Relax mate. No racial connotations in that at all. As I'm sure everyone else can see from what I have said. And if you're going to quote someone at least get the quote right. "Is he speaking English? I can't understand a word he's saying."

I will reinforce it to my boys regardless of whether it happened or not as we as a club are a highly multicultural club with many Asian and boys of other descent who have at times been subject to racism which will feel strongly about. If it was that bad put it in a letter an send it to our club and will be taken further I can assure you. We have suspended people in the past who have been in racial slurs.
    Had I of been made aware of the comments at the ground then I would have happily brought it to your attention. I also like to think of myself as approachable an reasonable and will happily introduced myself to you next time our paths cross so we can talk about this further.
    I still feel that there are racial undertones in the comment as a joke was made about how someone talks due to where they were born. We both disagree about that, I'm not going to get into the semantics of it any longer you think it's fine what was said I don't, consider it done, I'll move on.

As to if I was the one who threatened a 16 year old after reserve grade no that was not me, however thanks for bringing that to my attention I will be sure to find out who it was. That's something that I will not condone and the person responsible will be dealt with.

All in all it was still an enjoyable day, good luck to your first grade on the run into the semis.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Like all clubs you can only put out the best team you have on the day, we also had players out and late changes to the squad on game day. It happens every week so that is null and void.
    Ok so lets put bias aside.
    You guys controlled the best part of the first half, you pressed us high up the park and put us of our game. First goal came from this pressures after winning the ball in a dangerous area with a nice calm finish to take a deserved lead. Second goal I would hardly say was "well taken". A corner that wasn't cleared, it came from a miss hit shot that squeezed through a packed six yard with the keeper seeing late and the shot going threw his legs.
    After the second goal we then started to get back into the game, 3 great chances which were denied by the goal keeper could have seen us level or in front at half time. That said you guys also had a strong chance from a free header that could have put you up by 3 before half time.

Second half.
    We came out a lot better a started to control the game a got back to playing the way we should have in the first half. We controlled the possession without really creating many chances. Your third goal then came from a breakdown and counter attack which I must say was finished brilliantly.
    We then made a few changes and it was one way traffic, we then squandered at least 4 more great chances a finally got the 2 late goals.

Now lets get to "being humble"?
    Were you being humble when you cleared a ball into the bush with 5 to go when you could have just knocked it out? Then proceed to have a shot at the person who fetched the ball and questioned you about having to kick it as far as you did?
    Was Rolo "being humblel" when he took 5 minutes to leave the park when being substituted and proceeded to laugh at wasting time when he was walking back onto the park whilst being substituted?
    Or the bloke who went down injured asking us to kick the ball out but had a miracles recovery less than 5 seconds later once you guys retained possession, was he "being humble"?
    The bloke who I can only believe was on some great acid or is vision impaired as all he saw all day was Pelicans. Was he "being humble" with his ironic yet casual racism?

Yes we left the park thinking it was a day that could have gone very different but I take nothing away from you guys, you played hard a fair and were clinical with your chances.
    All in all thanks for a great day.
    My short on numbers comment was a joke. I wouldn't have used the excuse if we lost and nor would I use it if we won. You need to turn your sarcasm radar to 'on'.

Mate get off your ****ing high horse. Of course I punished it into the bush. Everyone does it. Clearly never played at Stocko with the salt bushes. And to your comment about having a 'shot' at the bloke who fetched it? He called me a ****ing **** and a ****wit before I'd said a word. I then reminded him that the ball was about 18 yards in the scrub and I was happy to fetch it after the game. Maybe you could move your field to a more "clearance friendly" playing zone? Somewhere I don't have to consider your bleeding heart when we kick it out? Maybe also do some shooting practice as some of your boys had some mighty fine shots that cleared that 18foot high fence you have at the back.

My comments regarding being "humble" has been in response to your one eyed views throughout the year. I hope you don't speak for the whole of the Suburbs boys when you bang on about how you've been the "better" side in every single loss you've had throughout the year.

P.s. Bon you need to slip a ring on that girl of yours if you haven't already. You have my old girls blessing!