Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2017 All Age/Over 35s/pub league thread

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    We are one off those teams in O35B. Undefeated only to suffer two 1-0 losses.

It felt like other teams worked out how to play us and it paid off for them. Fair play, we weren't good enough on either of the days to get the job done. I'll just be in the crowd with a beer at the Grand Final instead of on the pitch, not sure I can pick a winner from Belswans or Warners Bay.

Minor Premiers in O35D didnt make the Grand Final either. They weren't runaways during the comp though.
    Pick belswans mate........warners bay told us last week after they beat you that you lot said you'd see them in a fortnight......gave us a lift....anyway you will see them if you are bringing the beer...haha

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Yeah I know this grade and friends of mine commented that a couple of teams had markedly different players from rounds 1 & 2 compared to round 3. I think both GF teams in this grade spent 2/3 of season around the bottom of the table yeah?

Obviously not making accusations but it seemed like an odd grade this year.

Another angle could be that we should applaud the graders for seemingly getting it right, where all teams were pretty close.
    I can tell you that belswans have had the same guys playing all season....1 or 2 injured early on who came back later but all out of the 18 registered........some teams did grab a few points when Dudley lost a bunch of points and I would say players.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    If I am honest, we shouldn't have been in B grade. We dropped out of A as we lost our entire midfield from last season and didn't think we were nearly as strong. We weren't but we still played well, till the finals when it all fell apart. I dont know how well we would have gone in A grade this season, but clearly the table shows we were. The rest of the comp was actually very close and it was only the last 2-3 rounds that the top 4 became a bit clearer.

I dont think the teams for either Warners Bay or Belswans were any different as the season progressed. Not that I noticed anyway, so I don't think anything dodgy went on with players for them. The nature of Saturday O35's is that there is only 4 grades, so the grading is probably a bit tougher to make sure teams are right. I would prefer that they made A and B grades 8 team comps though and just slid the teams up, but that wont happen.

If we had made the grand final we would have played Warners Bay 5 times during the season. Thats one of the things I hate about 6 team comps.
    Grading is difficult in these grades. Last season Hamilton azzuri ran away with it with a couple of "younger" o35s and south Cardiff finished 2nd and both went up. Southy have had a very similar team for years with the odd younger guy coming in....southy made the finals in Agrade this year and azzuri didn't. This year garden suburbs and Dudley were running away with it until Dudley lost points and warners bay jumped up. Belswans have hovered in the top 4 of the b grade for about 4 years now. It really only takes a player or 2 to come in or leave a team that pushes them up or down the table.

Couldn't agree more about the 6 team comps either....bit silly but I guess with they way edgy are walking the a grade no one wants to play there....I'm pretty sure one of the new lambton teams went to Friday night last year because they got put up.

Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    I can tell you that belswans have had the same guys playing all season....1 or 2 injured early on who came back later but all out of the 18 registered........some teams did grab a few points when Dudley lost a bunch of points and I would say players.
    Oh yeah they don't think there's anything suss going on they just marvelled at Warners Bay having 6 blokes on the bench every week then telling them about their 13 injured blokes. The poor blokes I know struggled to get 10 carcasses on the park every week.

Besides, by the time you hit the fossilzed age of 35 most blokes still playing know everyone in Newy either socially or through playing against them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    Grading is difficult in these grades. Last season Hamilton azzuri ran away with it with a couple of "younger" o35s and south Cardiff finished 2nd and both went up. Southy have had a very similar team for years with the odd younger guy coming in....southy made the finals in Agrade this year and azzuri didn't. This year garden suburbs and Dudley were running away with it until Dudley lost points and warners bay jumped up. Belswans have hovered in the top 4 of the b grade for about 4 years now. It really only takes a player or 2 to come in or leave a team that pushes them up or down the table.

Couldn't agree more about the 6 team comps either....bit silly but I guess with they way edgy are walking the a grade no one wants to play there....I'm pretty sure one of the new lambton teams went to Friday night last year because they got put up.
    We will be back in A-Grade again next season. We actually had some very good games with Edgeworth last season. It's a bit like the Friday night comp before West Wallsend retired. You were playing for second in A-grade.

We look like losing a few players again this year and your right, the key is replacing with a bit of youth. There is a few peolple sniffing around to join us, so hopefully we can build again.

But right now I'm looking forward to watching Belswans v Warners Bay. It's not the grand final I was expecting but good luck to both of them.

Definitely nothing dodgy going on with the players in Belswans or Warners Bay from the 4 times we have played both of them. Looked like the same teams to me.

The Dudley boys are happy!
    2-1 victors over Edgie. Toughest game I have played for a long time.

Won our Grand Final 6-0. Scoreline really unfair on our opponents, it just all came together perfectly on the day. Was 2-0 until they conceded a pen and had a bloke sent off at the same time, we went on with it from there.

10 team comp this season so was good to come out on top

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Won our Grand Final 6-0. Scoreline really unfair on our opponents, it just all came together perfectly on the day. Was 2-0 until they conceded a pen and had a bloke sent off at the same time, we went on with it from there.

10 team comp this season so was good to come out on top
    Was that with Cardiff? I watched that one. didnt recognise ya lol. even for the 1st half then implosion from the yellows

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Was that with Cardiff? I watched that one. didnt recognise ya lol. even for the 1st half then implosion from the yellows
    Yep that was me in goals in the delightful pink jersey lol