Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Zone League 2 thread

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Maybe ZL2 and ZL3 need to realise we are a bunch of has beens and never made its and stop being ****s to refs.
    ^^ This.
    I can't get my head around the amount of players who still think it's acceptable to be a **** to the refs week in, week out.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    More refs. Its the only answer to a growing game.
    I'm not sure what you guys in other associations have to do, but in Hunter we were made to recruit one new referee as part of our club affiliation.
    Unfortunately all that seems to do is create more new referees for Sundays because most have to play Saturdays.

Oh, and then the stipulation that they can't referee your own club games, which doesn't solve our issue of no referees at home games. For us or the juniors (who I actually feel more sorry for)

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    More refs. Its the only answer to a growing game.
    Of course. But what is it going to take anyone to 'want' to become a referee? What encouragement? What enticement? This sort of talk occurs about the same time each year. When teams/players pay decent money to play for a zone league team each year and aren't afforded the very commodity that reduces bias, promotes fairness and tries to provide a safe environment.

It's been a problem for years and I feel is something that in the last few has become worse despite the efforts of the assoc and clubs. It will only get worse as there is a severe lack of middle aged experienced referees 35-50yo who can still get around the park, have the time to train and ref during the wk or on wkends.

Lots of ppl say players make the best referees. Not that I agree wholly, but when players decide they're done playing, it's very rare to see one make the transition to be the wo/man in black blowing a whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by silenceofthelahm View Post
    WTF is the go with no ref's ever being at the Simba matches.
    First Olympic and now against UNI.
    bloody joke
    Looks like the association got your message! Refs assigned to the Simba game this weekend.

I can see why refs are becoming hard to find after watching Simba whinge and complain to every single decision made yesterday against New Lambton. Absolute filthy attitudes in that team. Grow up Simba.

Quote Originally Posted by Sum CFC fan View Post
    I can see why refs are becoming hard to find after watching Simba whinge and complain to every single decision made yesterday against New Lambton. Absolute filthy attitudes in that team. Grow up Simba.
    What was the result? The whingers get beat?

who'd want to be a ref, with the carry-on from grown men who should know better.

i always make a point of thanking the ref and the linesmen for giving up their time after a game, should be drilled into everyone from juniors to seniors from day dot.

that being said, some refs are now so guarded against talking to anyone after the game/carrying on almost as bad as the players - maybe it's a defence mechanism from the antics of giant adult babies playing football.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotline View Post
    What was the result? The whingers get beat?
    Reserves: 3-2 New Lambton
    1sts: 4-1 Simba

Most referees are quite happy to explain and talk through decisions if approached appropriately.
    Whiners, and people constantly complaining and not being reasonable and fair, they are the reason referees turn defensive and get a bit of a us/them attitude.
    Yes, the referees get paid. So what? That doesn't give anybody the right to verbally abuse or intimidate them. People whinge when no refs are provided, show some respect and appreciation when somebody officiates.
    Accept decisions, take a few breaths, if you are still concerned ask the ref for their interpretation of events. It usually comes down interpretation.
    As mentioned, from juniors there should be like a post match ceremony where teams line up and shake hands with the other team and referee.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    Of course. But what is it going to take anyone to 'want' to become a referee? What encouragement? What enticement? .
    Respect and way less abuse. We all know it but white line fever still takes over.

Noone talks to or about the ref except captain. Duty officer or security to properly stop the crowd (increased fees?). It takes time to create a culture. Yeah its already supposed to happen but strict enforcement needed. Can we all be bothered?

I think the worst part is when grown arse adults (players and coaches especially) think it's ok to verbally abuse a volunteer club referee who is just making sure that a game can actually take place.

One club actually thinks its appropriate for the reserve grade players to abuse a club ref from the sideline during a first grade game and, as the coach informed us, "we have no control over them because they're the crowd. It's just part of the game."

People actually need to realise that without referees, we have no game. Period.

Why don't use all stop talking about the refs and starting talking about football

Quote Originally Posted by Suarez View Post
    Why don't use all stop talking about the refs and starting talking about football
    Last I checked the referee was required for football, official or not.

Last time I checked I didn't know that a coach of first grade had to worry about the crowd. I thought a Judy officer was the crowd control?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyleshazz View Post
    Last time I checked I didn't know that a coach of first grade had to worry about the crowd. I thought a Judy officer was the crowd control?
    Obviously the coach’s job isn’t crowd control however as a main figurehead of the club I would have thought the coach would be keen on stopping inappropriate behaviour of any players of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyleshazz View Post
    Culture of a club comes from the top!
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Quote Originally Posted by Giges View Post
    Obviously the coach’s job isn’t crowd control however as a main figurehead of the club I would have thought the coach would be keen on stopping inappropriate behaviour of any players of the club.
    Absolutely. I have had to speak with our own club supporters in the past, and I would expect other coaches to do the same.

Merewether vs Muswellbrook
    Reserves 5-1, firsts 6-2. Thanks to muss you for having us back at the rsl!

Olympic v Kahiba
    Res 3-2
    1st 4-2

Uni v New Lambton
    Res: 8-1 New Lambton
    1st: 8-1 New Lambton

Massive thanks to the club ref's from Uni, they were awesome!