Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 16/17 HAL Round 19 | Newcastle Jets v Melbourne Victory | Sat 10th Feb 2017 05:35pm

From a couple days away I reckon they are usually pretty good. I wonder if anyone's ever done an accuracy review on that sorta shit. Degree of confidence on the forecasts based on time out from the prediction. I guess you would also have to decide what a "correct" or "incorrect" forecast is. If they predict 44 and its 40 etc

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    From a couple days away I reckon they are usually pretty good. I wonder if anyone's ever done an accuracy review on that sorta shit. Degree of confidence on the forecasts based on time out from the prediction. I guess you would also have to decide what a "correct" or "incorrect" forecast is. If they predict 44 and its 40 etc
    Yep Meteorology is an exact fool proof science

Right up there with Tarot Card reading

Yesterday they said it was going to rain

They were not quite right

But based on their best guess that it is going to be hot this weekend they have proceeded to scare the be Jesus out of the population

Now the FFA based on these fortune telling sorcerers have decided to postpone the game based on their opinion of what may happen

Instead of actually dealing with the elements on the day and making decisions accordingly

What happens if it only 35c at 5:30 on Saturday? ?

We going to call all games off now if these weather sorcerers are thinking it not ideal? ?

When they predict rain we going to call it off just in case pitch is waterlogged in 2 days time??

This is a ridiculous precedent being set

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

But based on their best guess that it is going to be hot this weekend they have proceeded to scare the be Jesus out of the population

Now the FFA based on these fortune telling sorcerers have decided to postpone the game based on their opinion of what may happen

Instead of actually dealing with the elements on the day and making decisions accordingly

We going to call all games off now if these weather sorcerers are thinking it not ideal? ?

When they predict rain we going to call it off just in case pitch is waterlogged in 2 days time??

Just FYI, from this decision, Newcastle Football has cancelled ALL Trial games for Local football, due to weather.

Actually its probabilistic and mathematically based unlike tarot cards.

So when is too early to call it? If its 45 degrees half an hour before kick off do you wait and see if it rains and cools things down?
    I think their level of confidence that it is going to be really really hot this weekend is very high and so they have made plans accordingly. People probably appreciate the notice that the game has been moved rather than putting out a notice mid morning on the day that many people may not get in time, let alone those who made their weekend's plans around it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Just FYI, from this decision, Newcastle Football has cancelled ALL Trial games for Local football, due to weather.
    The clowns running local football I expect it from

They call games off after no rain in 2/3 days every couple of weeks in winter

This is a so called professional league

You don't see EPL games called off 2 days early based on possible snow rain etc

They actually wait to the day in question and make a decision based on the prevailing conditions

Do you think they consult Jesus for their predictions? Or science sorcerers?

They actually wait to the day in question and make a decision based on the prevailing conditions
    Didn't Noah start knocking his ark together based on a weather prediction a week in advance?

Do you think they consult Jesus for their predictions? Or science sorcerers?
    Its all rigged from NASA

The clowns running local football I expect it from

They call games off after no rain in 2/3 days every couple of weeks in winter

This is a so called professional league

You don't see EPL games called off 2 days early based on possible snow rain etc

FMD........comparing snow in the EPL to the extreme heat and distances travelled in the HAL........that will do me. Its all just a big conspiracy eh

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Actually its probabilistic and mathematically based unlike tarot cards.

So when is too early to call it? If its 45 degrees half an hour before kick off do you wait and see if it rains and cools things down?
    I think their level of confidence that it is going to be really really hot this weekend is very high and so they have made plans accordingly. People probably appreciate the notice that the game has been moved rather than putting out a notice mid morning on the day that many people may not get in time, let alone those who made their weekend's plans around it.
    Stop talking sense Macca. This postponement is going to inconvenience the most important person there is, and therefore is not on.
    Last edited by borat; 09-02-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Didn't Noah start knocking his ark together based on a weather prediction a week in advance?
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

hoping it's nice and cool Mon evening so the Kokk can get stuck in to Victree...
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

The FFA only rescheduled the game because Melb. Victory are involved. If it was Jets v Mariners they would have forced us to play it on Saturday in 45 degree heat.

Fvck me, we've been whinging for years that afternoon games in the middle if summer suck the big ones, even if extreme heat hasn't been predicted.

It's going to be hot as hell on the weekend, does it matter what the actual temperature is ?

We finally get a break & get an unexpected night game !

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The FFA only rescheduled the game because Melb. Victory are involved. If it was Jets v Mariners they would have forced us to play it on Saturday in 45 degree heat.
    That's a very cynical view. I think they would have rescheduled the game regardless the opposition. If the next game was in Sydney, there could have been the opportunity to move both games because both cities would be affected by the weather. Unfortunately it's not.

It's about player and spectator welfare. They've given everyone 2 days warning. It's the sensible decision even though it's a decision that will cost them money.
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 10-02-2017 at 07:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    That's a very cynical view. I think they would have rescheduled the game regardless the opposition. If the next game was in Sydney, there could have been the opportunity to move both games because both cities would be affected by the weather. Unfortunately it's not.

It's about player and spectator welfare. They've given everyone 2 days warning. It's the sensible decision even though it's a decision that will cost them money.
    Is there that much difference between 39 and 41-42? Adelaide have played in 39 degrees two weeks in a row.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Fvck me, we've been whinging for years that afternoon games in the middle if summer suck the big ones, even if extreme heat hasn't been predicted.

It's going to be hot as hell on the weekend, does it matter what the actual temperature is ?

We finally get a break & get an unexpected night game !
    If it Saturday and it hot as he'll and they call it off then fine

When they call the thing off 2 days out based on predictions from an industry that ain't 100% reliable they are taking the piss

What we do next week V Adelaide consult fortune cookies as to whether we play the game??

Is there that much difference between 39 and 41-42? Adelaide have played in 39 degrees two weeks in a row.
    I don't think so. It feels the same mowing, walking to car or mailbox so I can't even begin to imagine how it would be on a football pitch. Remember the FFA were blasted about allowing the Adelaide match to go ahead with mixed reports of players and spectators suffering heat-related illness. I can understand they're a bit gun shy because of this and have decided to act early.

I actually think it will help us playing at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I don't think so. It feels the same mowing, walking to car or mailbox so I can't even begin to imagine how it would be on a football pitch. Remember the FFA were blasted about allowing the Adelaide match to go ahead with mixed reports of players and spectators suffering heat-related illness. I can understand they're a bit gun shy because of this and have decided to act early.

I actually think it will help us playing at night.
    I agree its fkn hot and may well be a result of the past two weeks at Adelaide.

Glad they're acting early for the players and spectators, just hope it becomes a consistent ruling in the future. Anything over ~37 gets called off. Just like local football is now.

Ultimately, whether its local or professional football players health is at risk. End of the day its a game. No ones life is worth a game going ahead.