Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Afl

Afl

Hi all,

Just interested in opinions.

IMO this year has been the worst year for the Jets and it is at crisis point. It has made me ponder why I actually threw so much passion into football in the first place.

What it came down to was reading Johnny Warren's book "Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters" and being drawn into the mission of making our mark on the World stage. However, since the corruption of FIFA became so apparent, I've wondered how important it is to be part of a World Game. Globalisation doesn't seem so important anymore.

The Jets seem to lurch from one crisis to the next, there is no corporate support, both for corporate boxes or sponsorship. Where is it going?

I hate rugby league culture, so it made me think of missing piece of professional sport that isn't here in Newcastle, which is AFL. Given the rise of BBL, it is economically feasible for a circular stadium like GWS to be built in the Hunter and supply both summer and winter sport. I know that Hunter people would love access to cricket, and some of the AFL clubs in Newcastle are 130 years old.

What are people's thoughts on this? I just feel that the FFA and the Jets were handed the golden goose in Newcastle and it has been squandered. Maybe its time to try and attract an option that has nationwide backing from sponsors and commercial television?

You are not going to get very far here with any proposal that doesn't include a fleet of paddle steamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Hi all,

Just interested in opinions.

IMO this year has been the worst year for the Jets and it is at crisis point. It has made me ponder why I actually threw so much passion into football in the first place.

What it came down to was reading Johnny Warren's book "Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters" and being drawn into the mission of making our mark on the World stage. However, since the corruption of FIFA became so apparent, I've wondered how important it is to be part of a World Game. Globalisation doesn't seem so important anymore.

The Jets seem to lurch from one crisis to the next, there is no corporate support, both for corporate boxes or sponsorship. Where is it going?

I hate rugby league culture, so it made me think of missing piece of professional sport that isn't here in Newcastle, which is AFL. Given the rise of BBL, it is economically feasible for a circular stadium like GWS to be built in the Hunter and supply both summer and winter sport. I know that Hunter people would love access to cricket, and some of the AFL clubs in Newcastle are 130 years old.

What are people's thoughts on this? I just feel that the FFA and the Jets were handed the golden goose in Newcastle and it has been squandered. Maybe its time to try and attract an option that has nationwide backing from sponsors and commercial television?
    AFL??? nah you want that stuff go to melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

my thoughts are: if you want to lobby for an AFL team, go to an AFL site. I'd rather concentrate on bagging out the jets.

Seagulls fighting over a hot chip. No thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    my thoughts are: if you want to lobby for an AFL team, go to an AFL site. I'd rather concentrate on bagging out the jets.
    Fair enough, but as a (former) Jets fan, I thought there might be some opinions at least. I simply can't see a future for the Jets. As a fan, I've been beating my head against a brick wall for the last 9 seasons. Then it dawned on me. The one thing that I've mocked rugby league and AFL for, the fact that it is not played in many countries, is actually an advantage. They can train a player knowing full well that he can't up an leave for more money overseas. They don't have to worry about a Andrew Hoole making unrealistic demands with threats to go to China. A global marketplace is actually a major disadvantage for a sport.

The promise of transfer fees in the A-League was just a pipe-dream.

I always thought that the A-League was the best alternative to thugby league culture, but now it seems like AFL might be the only way forward for our city.

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Seagulls fighting over a hot chip. No thanks!
    As a goalkeeper, I thought you'd have a greater appreciation for AFL.

As a goalkeeper, I thought you'd have a greater appreciation for AFL.
    I appreciate the fitness levels required, no doubting that the players are elite athletes. However watching the game I've never been impressed with their ability to catch a ball. For every "speccy" that's taken there are 20 balls fumbled onto the ground.

The game itself is chaos, a completely unorganised clusterf*ck. Getting points for missing is also quite laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    The game itself is chaos, a completely unorganised clusterf*ck.
    And watching the Jets play compares favourably with this?

Banned
    Fair enough, but as a (former) Jets fan, I thought there might be some opinions at least. I simply can't see a future for the Jets. As a fan, I've been beating my head against a brick wall for the last 9 seasons. Then it dawned on me. The one thing that I've mocked rugby league and AFL for, the fact that it is not played in many countries, is actually an advantage. They can train a player knowing full well that he can't up an leave for more money overseas. They don't have to worry about a Andrew Hoole making unrealistic demands with threats to go to China. A global marketplace is actually a major disadvantage for a sport.

The promise of transfer fees in the A-League was just a pipe-dream.

I always thought that the A-League was the best alternative to thugby league culture, but now it seems like AFL might be the only way forward for our city.
    This just shows me you have NFI about football.

Your plastic attitude is noted

Go over and enjoy jumping on the bandwagon of some Tardball team

Let us know when your new game has a presence outside of this country.

The reason no one on the planet has adopted this game is because it is shit.

A point for missing FMD

And watching the Jets play compares favourably with this?
    I can't argue with this

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    AFL??? nah you want that stuff go to melbourne
    AFL is clearly national now. I lived in Sydney during the 1990s when Sydney Swans were huge. English friends of mine fell in love with the game. I mostly played soccer in my youth but played a few seasons of Aussie Rules in the local competition. It's not a bad sport. I don't remember ever being taught tactics but clearly at a professional level there is an opportunity to develop playings styles and tactics. It's just harder because, unlike football, there is no offside so teams can't constrain play to a small area of the pitch.

If there was an AFL team in Newcastle, would you go to a game? Given that the consensus is that the timing of seasons means that the Knights and Jets don't really compete.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

Go over and enjoy jumping on the bandwagon of some Tardball team

Let us know when your new game has a presence outside of this country.

The reason no one on the planet has adopted this game is because it is shit.

A point for missing FMD

Noone has adopted NFL so it must be shit. Noone has adopted baseball so it must be shit. Is that the idea?
    Last edited by Jules; 30-03-2017 at 04:32 PM.

So tell me, what is going to help the Jets out of the position they are in? The league is becoming very uneven, the club has a new owner but he appears reluctant to splash any cash. We still have no sponsorship or corporate support, the Squadron is dead and ncl will probably be a mess. Good players just leave to play in better leagues, without us getting decent transfer fees. The club can't even translate the massive football community into spectators. Even if you ignore the inept administration of the club, what am I missing about football that convinces you that the Jets have a rosy future?

Since I have NFI, I assume you have all the answers.
    Last edited by Jules; 30-03-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Banned
    So tell me, what is going to help the Jets out of the position they are in? The league is becoming very uneven, the club has a new owner but he appears reluctant to splash any cash. We still have no sponsorship or corporate support, the Squadron is dead and ncl will probably be a mess. Good players just leave to play in better leagues, without us getting decent transfer fees. The club can't even translate the massive football community into spectators. Even if you ignore the inept administration of the club, what am I missing about football that convinces you that the Jets have a rosy future?

Since I have NFI, I assume you have all the answers.
    Yes firstly I do have ALL the answers

Secondly you still have NFI about supporting a football club.
    It ain't about winning it ain't about losing

You just don't get IT

There is an IT that has just sailed straight over your plastic Fairweathered head

Could not give a **** how disorganised the Jets are
    Could not give a **** how uneven the comp is

I still be there living the dream

Whilst you can go off chasing your glory completely clueless to anything

Yes firstly I do have ALL the answers

Secondly you still have NFI about supporting a football club.
    It ain't about winning it ain't about losing

You just don't get IT

There is an IT that has just sailed straight over your plastic Fairweathered head

Could not give a **** how disorganised the Jets are
    Could not give a **** how uneven the comp is

I still be there living the dream

Whilst you can go off chasing your glory completely clueless to anything
    Oh, okay, you meant I had NFI about supporting a club, not that I had NFI about football.

I really don't care about your opinion of whether I'm a proper supporter or not. But I do like to argue, which is why I raised this topic in a football forum. You get much better information debating people than talking to people who agree with you.

Banned
    Oh, okay, you meant I had NFI about supporting a club, not that I had NFI about football.

I really don't care about your opinion of whether I'm a proper supporter or not. But I do like to argue, which is why I raised this topic in a football forum. You get much better information debating people than talking to people who agree with you.
    Supporting a club and football

As I said you have no idea.

I still stand by that and I will call you on it.

You like to argue so you say......

Ok then

You want to actually discuss something other than your plastic view on football and your love in with a game of aerial ping pong for bogans??

You want to actually discuss something other than your plastic view on football and your love in with a game of aerial ping pong for bogans??
    Not really, and not with you. You haven't said anything of value yet and seem to know all about me from my 6 posts. Maybe if you actually said something other than that you don't give a shit how badly the club or league is run.

Banned
    Not really, and not with you. You haven't said anything of value yet and seem to know all about me from my 6 posts. Maybe if you actually said something other than that you don't give a shit how badly the club or league is run.
    I haven't said anything of value yet as you still haven't said anything of value.

No it didn't take me 6 posts to have you figured out 1 put me on the right track and 2 confirmed it.

So you don't want to discuss anything because you have little to offer.

No problem

AFL has been tried in areas other than the southern states - it doesn't work.
    See Gold Coast, GWS, etc.
    It took Brisbane & Sydney decades to get any type of foothold in those cities, some might argue that they haven't been roaring successes either as the crowds really only turn up in the run in to the finals.
    Personally, AFL bores me to tears. And I can't see a game that's only popular in 3 states of one country on the planet expanding beyond that, regardless of ill-conceived games in China.

Footballs strength is its global reach. The professional game is only 12 years old in Australia, see how long it took the MLS & J-League to establish themselves in the modern era.
    Last edited by furns; 30-03-2017 at 05:55 PM.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast