Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Afl

Look, I like football. I just find these arguments a bit schizophrenic.

People argue that football is the World Game, and being part of something bigger is part of the attraction, yet AFL is the biggest party in Australia, and these same people don't want to be part of it. Our greatest event is Melbourne Victory coming to Newcastle. Everyone says "ho hum". We had a go at Asian Champions League and the people of the Hunter ignored it. I think it would be great to be part of a larger Australian community where teams like Collingwood and Richmond come here to compete.

People say you should be conservative about it "Stick to your team", all the while promoting a progressive, disruptive agenda, by trying to turn a sub-culture into a mainstream culture.

The whole premise for "I told you so", the formation of the FFA and the A-League was that it is a global game and so the force of globalism, the opportunities to engage with the world will pull Australia into line.

But there is also a case for Nationalism. When I go to the USA, do I want to see the Revolution play or do I want to see the Patriots, the Celtics, the Bruins or the Red Sox? When you go to Melbourne you almost feel like you are in a different country because AFL is so alien to us. But people who come to visit from other countries love it simply because it is different.

There are many reasons why football is a good sport, but those reasons also apply to AFL - plus you get to use your hands.
    Last edited by Jules; 31-03-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post

People argue that football is the World Game, and being part of something bigger is part of the attraction, yet AFL is the biggest party in Australia, and these same people don't want to be part of it. Our greatest event is Melbourne Victory coming to Newcastle. Everyone says "ho hum". We had a go at Asian Champions League and the people of the Hunter ignored it. I think it would be great to be part of a larger Australian community where teams like Collingwood and Richmond come here to compete.

People say you should be conservative about it "Stick to your team", all the while promoting a progressive, disruptive agenda, by trying to turn a sub-culture into a mainstream culture.

The whole premise for "I told you so", the formation of the FFA and the A-League was that it is a global game and so the force of globalism, the opportunities to engage with the world will pull Australia into line.

But there is also a case for Nationalism. When I go to the USA, do I want to see the Revolution play or do I want to see the Patriots, the Celtics, the Bruins or the Red Sox? When you go to Melbourne you almost feel like you are in a different country because AFL is so alien to us. But people who come to visit from other countries love it simply because it is different.

There are many reasons why football is a good sport, but those reasons also apply to AFL - plus you get to use your hands.
    You don't get it.

AFL fans are loyal to their teams no matter where they are on the ladder. Your football teams having a few bad years and you jump ship.

Footscray / Bulldogs fans waited a long time for a premiership as did the Swans, Kangaroos, and magpies. Those premierships meant a lot more to those fans than they ever did to band wagoners like yourself who pull the pin when times are tough.

I grew up in Melbourne and have been a Hawks supporter all my life - I was at the 71, 76, and 78 Grand Final wins. I was also at the 1977 Pre lim loss to the Roos and the 1975 loss to the roos.

But I could rate at least ten Jets games as more memorable experiences. The AFC come from behind win, the win against the Roar to go into theseason 3 GF, beating Sydney at home in season 3 semi, beating the NZ Knights in season 2 for the teams first win. the 2nd season once we got on a roll.. the list is endless.
    Sorry, but I've been to a shit load of AFL games over the past 50 years or so and it doesn't come close to what the Newcastle Jets and football are capable of delivering.

So what if the teams ****ed at the moment - That's just going to make it a whole lot better when things start going our way. And if they don't, then we always have the lols here on the foz.

Yeah, you saw ManU and Liverpool shirts 10/15 years ago. Ask any Liverpool fan why they supported them over Everton, or Sheffield Wednesday. Could it have been because they were the most successful team in the 80s? Talk about hypocrisy. .
    I've never seen Liverpool win a Premier League title. But give me Liverpool red over the dominant Man U, the invincibles of Arsenal, the money of Chelsea and City, the emergence of Tottenham any day.

I don't really know what this thread is even about. If it's proving Godwin's Law then Hitler will be happy.

Banned

Ok then I have been and watched football in several countries on the planet.

When I there I can communicate with the locals about this game.

Try telling me about your experiences communicating with the locals about Tardball??

As for your point about Nationalism

Japan 2006
    Uruguay 2005
    Asian Cup Final 2015

These promote Nationalism better than anything NRL or AFL do.

What shits me most about these two codes is they try harping on the Nationalism card to promote their code and that some how you are less dinky di Aussie if you not follow Tardball or Drugy League.

State of Origin isn't the pinnacle of world sport like some would have us believe
    Neither is winning the flag in Tardball

Also lets just remember what a joke of a sport Tardball is when come June and Messi and Neymar are in town and the poor sods are posing with Tardball players and a Sherrin with a bemused look on their face that says WTF

Small fry

For those saying AFL won't work in Newcastle, have you ever been to the F3 Twin servos before or then after a Swans game in Sydney ?

It's been pretty full of supporters wearing swan's gear when I've done the same.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    You don't get it.

AFL fans are loyal to their teams no matter where they are on the ladder. Your football teams having a few bad years and you jump ship
    No, I'm not jumping ship simply because they've had a few bad years. I'm jumping ship because the entire premise under which the A-League was set up, that it was going to become a mainstream sport, is turning more and more into a fantasy. It is clear that the league is becoming uneven. The Jets don't have the corporate backing to compete, and they get ALL the dud time slots which shows that the FFA couldn't care less about ensuring a fair competition, so long as the money is coming in. This is a far cry from the fundamentals on which the league was founded. I'm not opposed to some teams naturally being stronger, but the FFA aren't going to help regional teams, with natural marketplace disadvantages, or even pretend to keep things as even as possible. And the Jets continually fail to take advantage of the thing that are in their favour, like lack of entertainment alternatives.

The sport needs to have mainstream support to be healthy. It is still anaemic after 13 years and you will probably see commercial channels pass on the free to air to rights again, because there just won't be enough opportunities to generate advertising revenue.

Good luck to you. I hope you get to experience more highs in the future. If Mr Lee comes to the party it might be sooner than later, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Good, you're actually making some solid points now MFKS, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

Try telling me about your experiences communicating with the locals about Tardball??
    I've already told you in this thread. I worked with a lot of English people in Sydney and they loved AFL. They much preferred it to the NSL at the time, when Northern Spirit was in its prime. The reasons were many. Firstly, they came from the home of football, so our version wasn't anything special to them. Secondly, they appreciated what was good about the game, without any chip on their shoulder: because it is unique to Australia and they came here to experience our lifestyle, the action moves long distances quite quickly, the players are athletic and brave without being thuggish to the extent rugby league players are (and they were biased against the Northerners game anyway), there is a gradual progression to the score of the game, so while teams can certainly turn a game around, the rewards for effort are spread over the a greater span of time (sure, it doesn't shoot the dopamine up like a goal in football does but most sports are like this - cricket, baseball, every other type of football, basketball - it is only football that condenses scoring into a few microseconds per game).

I also love that it is just plain Aussie pragmatics that a country that loves cricket would create a sport that uses the same oval in winter.

As for your point about Nationalism

Japan 2006
    Uruguay 2005
    Asian Cup Final 2015

These promote Nationalism better than anything NRL or AFL do.
    Well, I'm not sure I agree with you on this. It assumes, like Craig Foster argues, that we have to create a performance pyramid from children all the way up, to achieve those few, fleeting moments of national pride. And I've already mentioned that the corruption of FIFA, the Olympic Committee, basically any group that feels they can lord it over masses of population, does not sit well with me. We've been humiliated enough, through our World Cup bid, and bowing to the FIFA overlords over various other things. It has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

I've taken my kids through the football factory, as it's just becoming full of ego and career coaches who'd rather coach then deliver washing machines. Kids sport should be about fun but the football factory, with the national curriculum etc, is all geared toward international competition for the few elites that make it. I'm not saying that kids sport shouldn't focus on skill, of course it should, but what I see is beyond that. Half the coaches and parents are focused on the FFA ideology and half the coaches and parents just want kids to get exercise and have fun. But lets be clear, it is a top down ideology, not a grassroots up movement. Its a cultural imposition. So, is that really being Nationalist? Is having our kids free time dictated to by the Dutch methodology really Australian?

Cultural Nationalism is something that you should be able to feel every day. You shouldn't have to wait until you compete with another nation until you get a chance to experience it. In that respect, AFL is the only sport that makes the grade, because it is the only true Australian sport. Even cricket and the rugby codes come from England.
    Last edited by Jules; 01-04-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Banned
    Good, you're actually making some solid points now MFKS, well done.

I've already told you in this thread. I worked with a lot of English people in Sydney and they loved AFL. They much preferred it to the NSL at the time, when Northern Spirit was in its prime. The reasons were many. Firstly, they came from the home of football, so our version wasn't anything special to them. Secondly, they appreciated what was good about the game, without any chip on their shoulder: because it is unique to Australia and they came here to experience our lifestyle, the action moves long distances quite quickly, the players are athletic and brave without being thuggish to the extent rugby league players are (and they were biased against the Northerners game anyway), there is a gradual progression to the score of the game, so while teams can certainly turn a game around, the rewards for effort are spread over the a greater span of time (sure, it doesn't shoot the dopamine up like a goal in football does but most sports are like this - cricket, baseball, every other type of football, basketball - it is only football that condenses scoring into a few microseconds per game).

I also love that it is just plain Aussie pragmatics that a country that loves cricket would create a sport that uses the same oval in winter.

Well, I'm not sure I agree with you on this. It assumes, like Craig Foster argues, that we have to create a performance pyramid from children all the way up, to achieve those few, fleeting moments of national pride. And I've already mentioned that the corruption of FIFA, the Olympic Committee, basically any group that feels they can lord it over masses of population, does not sit well with me. We've been humiliated enough, through our World Cup bid, and bowing to the FIFA overlords over various other things. It has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

I've taken my kids through the football factory, as it's just becoming full of ego and career coaches who'd rather coach then deliver washing machines. Kids sport should be about fun but the football factory, with the national curriculum etc, is all geared toward international competition for the few elites that make it. I'm not saying that kids sport shouldn't focus on skill, of course it should, but what I see is beyond that. Half the coaches and parents are focused on the FFA ideology and half the coaches and parents just want kids to get exercise and have fun. But lets be clear, it is a top down ideology, not a grassroots up movement. Its a cultural imposition. So, is that really being Nationalist? Is having our kids free time dictated to by the Dutch methodology really Australian?

Cultural Nationalism is something that you should be able to feel every day. You shouldn't have to wait until you compete with another nation until you get a chance to experience it. In that respect, AFL is the only sport that makes the grade, because it is the only true Australian sport. Even cricket and the rugby codes come from England.
    Slow down

Your going off on 20 tangents a post

Stop putting it all in the one post and save a bit for later

Slow down

Your going off on 20 tangents a post

Stop putting it all in the one post and save a bit for later
    No, all of my "tangents" relate to the two points you chose to pick up on: Communicating with the "locals" about Tardball, and Nationalism. I'm not going off topic.

Banned
    Since when did football having to be mainstream matter??

It doesn't matter to me.

To those that this does matter to well the reality is it was always going to take generations to occur

Drugby League and NRL have their little patch thanks to the free kicks the media has given them the last 40 years

As a result they are set for a while until the dinosaurs who love the games die off and also free to air tv reaches the graveyard

Add in the protectionist policies government have with the Anti Siphoning laws for live sport also giving the status quo more protection from up and coming sports

Also Football in this code won't go mainstream until we have a superstar.

I not talking about players like Kewell Viduka etc playing OS

I talking about when an Aussie is 1 of the top 10 players on the planet and is winning big trophies not as part of a side but as the Star

As soon as the Aussie superstar arrives Football will move quicker mainstream than ever before

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    For those saying AFL won't work in Newcastle, have you ever been to the F3 Twin servos before or then after a Swans game in Sydney ?

It's been pretty full of supporters wearing swan's gear when I've done the same.
    I've also seen it on a weekend, public holiday, school holidays.
    Just like the Waratahs. They get a wide following because their 40,000 fans have one team to support.
    Sure, there may be a few Newcastle fans of the swans, myself included, but I doubt Newcastle has a market for it. Any of you been to watch black diamond out of curiosity?
    Idk, posting about the viability of an Afl team in a football forum won't generate an accurate depiction of what the community wants or would appreciate and support.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Idk, posting about the viability of an Afl team in a football forum won't generate an accurate depiction of what the community wants or would appreciate and support.
    Most of the Foz doesn't even want a soccer team in Newy.

There are still hundreds of people that drive down the M1 each week to see "their" NRL team - Easts, Souths, Tigers, Manly et al.

Twin servos always look full after something in Sydney - on Sunday it will look crammed with Jets fans even though a few hundred go.

It's THE place to piss.

I contacted the AFL to see what plans they had to expand into our region. The answer was that they are definitely interested long term, but for the time being our area "belongs" to the Sydney Swans and they are trying to work with Newcastle Council to upgrade a facility to the point where the Swans can host a community round game here.

The interesting thing I found was how approachable they are. When you send an email to the FFA, you pretty much get dismissed and rebuffed. You are fed with cliches like "Thanks for supporting our game" but nothing of substance. There was a genuine difference in the way they communicate.

Look, I'm not expecting anyone on here to "join the cause" but I would at least hope that football fans could see the AFL as something they could support in the winter while they support the Jets in the summer. I heard some football chants during the Freemantle broadcast so I'd say some Glory fans follow both teams, as would people in Melbourne and Adelaide.

I've watched as many games as I could over the last two weekends and I think the complaints about the game are unfounded. It's an exciting sport. None of the games I watched got bogged down in scraps for long periods. Packs do form simply because they can't get caught with the ball and so tend not to want to hold onto it when there are a lot of people around but the players these days try to clear them as quick as possible.

There actually seems to have been an evolution in the game since I was last interested in it, which was before the A-League started - there is more "soccerring" off the ground as a valid technique to clear rucks and to pass the ball to teammates, there is also a lot more strategy in rotating through the backline and going backwards at times to retain possession (although the commentators don't seem to like this very much). I'm not sure whether the evolution in football in Australia has any impact on Aussie rules but I think it would have because both are full field games and with no structured turnover of possession, techniques for using the field to retain possession will crossover to some extent. For example, Buddy Franklin did a superb cross from the left flank to give the Full Forward a mark. One commentator thought it was a miss-kick for goal but it proved to be a clear cross into the centre.
    Last edited by Jules; 11-04-2017 at 10:03 AM.

I contacted the AFL to see what plans they had to expand into our region. The answer was that they are definitely interested long term, but for the time being our area "belongs" to the Sydney Swans and they are trying to work with Newcastle Council to upgrade a facility to the point where the Swans can host a community round game here.

The interesting thing I found was how approachable they are. When you send an email to the FFA, you pretty much get dismissed and rebuffed. You are fed with cliches like "Thanks for supporting our game" but nothing of substance. There was a genuine difference in the way they communicate.

Look, I'm not expecting anyone on here to "join the cause" but I would at least hope that football fans could see the AFL as something they could support in the winter while they support the Jets in the summer. I heard some football chants during the Freemantle broadcast so I'd say some Glory fans follow both teams, as would people in Melbourne and Adelaide.

I've watched as many games as I could over the last two weekends and I think the complaints about the game are unfounded. It's an exciting sport. None of the games I watched got bogged down in scraps for long periods. Packs do form simply because they can't get caught with the ball and so tend not to want to hold onto it when there are a lot of people around but the players these days try to clear them as quick as possible.

There actually seems to have been an evolution in the game since I was last interested in it, which was before the A-League started - there is more "soccerring" off the ground as a valid technique to clear rucks and to pass the ball to teammates, there is also a lot more strategy in rotating through the backline and going backwards at times to retain possession (although the commentators don't seem to like this very much). I'm not sure whether the evolution in football in Australia has any impact on Aussie rules but I think it would have because both are full field games and with no structured turnover of possession, techniques for using the field to retain possession will crossover to some extent. For example, Buddy Franklin did a superb cross from the left flank to give the Full Forward a mark. One commentator thought it was a miss-kick for goal but it proved to be a clear cross into the centre.
    Your still going on about this?? Go onto a Newcastle Afl forum if you want to gain newcastle support for AFL
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

There actually seems to have been an evolution in the game since I was last interested in it, which was before the A-League started - there is more "soccerring" off the ground
    That happened on a wet day, its rare and coaches dont like it. The local afl comp is in one of the lowest points in decades. Even combining with the cent coast hasnt helped and is flopping worse.

I watch the afl and quite like it but then ill watch any sport that has an even contest except cvntby league. Go Northstars.

on a grassroots level its football all the way.

Would i watch the afl Newcastle Storks? probs and be in the situation as Jets

The complaints about the game are well agreed upon by people who have been watching AFL for well over 50 years. The modern players are robots and they all do pretty much the same thing in that they follow a script / plan to the letter and never deviate from it. Then you have shit like flooding to add to the mix and the games not a patch on what it once was.

And Buddy Franklin is shit. Sorry but he's the most over-hyped forward in the history of the game. At best he's a big guy that can move a bit for a man of that size. But the job of a FF is too kick goals and he couldn't hit a barn door from 20m in front.

He would not have even gotten a run 30 years ago given that FF's back then could actually kick a ball between the sticks.

Last edited by The Dunster; 11-04-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Your still going on about this?? Go onto a Newcastle Afl forum if you want to gain newcastle support for AFL
    Have you seen the other threads in Sports Bar?? They are about sports other than football and in a lot of cases people have positive and interesting opinions about them. Don't worry about where else I talk about it. I'm talking about it in a lot of different places.

Have you seen the other threads in Sports Bar?? They are about sports other than football and in a lot of cases people have positive and interesting opinions about them. Don't worry about where else I talk about it. I'm talking about it in a lot of different places.
    You are too late. AFL died years ago. The sorry excuse for a sport you are getting behind is what was left in the bucket after the real game was aborted. It's all about speed and strength now. There's pretty much no real skill left in the game. Beep tests and all other sorts of useless shit / criteria are used on kids these days to cull them before a ball has even been kicked, passed, or marked.

The AFL is little more than a bigger version of the emerging Jets program.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    You are too late. AFL died years ago. The sorry excuse for a sport you are getting behind is what was left in the bucket after the real game was aborted. It's all about speed and strength now. There's pretty much no real skill left in the game. Beep tests and all other sorts of useless shit / criteria are used on kids these days to cull them before a ball has even been kicked, passed, or marked.

The AFL is little more than a bigger version of the emerging Jets program.
    The Jacko interview you posted was interesting and very amusing. I forgot how insane that guy is.

You can make that same argument about any professional sport. Rugby League is in the same boat, it's lost its personality in the Super League war. Football in Australia has never had a real personality yet. I regard Viduka as the greatest modern player we have produced and he hardly played in the NSL. You can argue that the A-League is a completely manufactured product. The marquee system has failed so far to hit its mark in attracting real personalities to the game in order to make an impact on and off the field. del Piero was the biggest coup but Sydney FC didn't take full advantage of his Italian charisma. Sydney FC managed the almost impossible. They rubbed all the Italian glitz and glamour off him and made him look like a suburban diving hack. There is only one thing keeping the A-League experiment afloat - the money from FoxSports. The FFA was hoping that Optus would provide some real competition to boost the value of the product, but they didn't come to the table. The foundations for AFL into the future are much, much stronger. They have shown with the development of the women's competition and AFLX that they can take the pioneering ideas that football in this country lead with and basically trump them with their mainstream clout.

Regarding the Aussie Rules specific issues such as flooding. Football has the same issues but to a greater extent. Parking the bus can kill off a game too. Only in football, we consider it smart tactics employed by managers to win a game. We say 0-0 draws can be an exciting contest. In Football, we say that the game goes through an evolution as new tactics are employed, achieve success and are copied. Then a master tactician comes up with a way to counter it, and the process continues. This is the so-called "beauty of the World game". But if this happens in AFL, it has killed the game?

It depends what you define as "real skill". Mark Jackson may define it as the individual ability of a tough Full Forward. But just as the interplay of Barcelona is exciting to watch, the ability of an AFL team to handball their way out of danger is also attractive to watch. I may not be a purist. I have drifted in and out of watching AFL over the years. I've played Aussie Rules and football. Troy Luff was only a couple of years above me at my club when I was playing, so we all took a lot of interest in the Swans at the time. And I followed the Swans quite closely when I lived in Sydney without becoming a hard core fan. There was just too much Newcastle in me to completely follow a Sydney team.

What my argument rests on is the relative positions of the sports in Australia. It is certain that football dominates grassroots. It is almost just as certain that in the last 12 years of trying, it has failed to translate that into mainstream support. And the main reason for this is that the A-League loses its best players overseas way too soon and gets them back way too late. When you see players like Hoole making stupid demands on the basis that if they are not accepted, he will head overseas, it seems like a structural problem. There are three things that AFL has that the A-League doesn't: a captured player market, massive crowds on a regular basis and massive corporate support. I am just starting to see that you need all three in order to dominate as a professional sport.
    Last edited by Jules; 12-04-2017 at 12:04 PM.